Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Affairs of Cellini

Did anyone catch this one on FOX back on January 9? I noticed years ago it was listed in the back of Mark Viera's book, Sin in Soft Focus and had hoped to someday get to see it.

Well...I did see it. I would love to know what others thought about it. I had a pretty hard time sitting through it. I dont' know why either--what's not to love about Fredric March, Frank Morgan & Constance Bennett?

I am glad to get to see some of the FOX movies I always thought were outside my reach. I wish they would dig into their vaults and show more of their pre-Codes!

I'd love to see this one. It has always intrigued me very much and what a cast! Fredric March, Connie Bennett, Fay Wray and Frank Morgan. Why did you had a hard time sitting through it? Was it a slow moving film? Wasn't the storyline amusing enough? If my memory does not fail, It was directed by master director Gregory LaCava, produced by 20th Century Pictures and released through United Artists in 1934, before it merged with FOX.

I wish I knew why I didn't enjoy this. Even our satellite company gave it *** out of **** stars. It must have been me, but I didn't enjoy it. I actually fell asleep in the middle of it, and had to restart it when I awoke!

The costumes are gorgeous, and I found Frank Morgan amusing, as always. I've still got it on the DVR, perhaps I need to watch it when I'm fully rested!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alix,

I had a similar reaction to this movie. I was predisposed to it since it has such a reputation and it was directed by Gregory LaCava, whose sublime '30s films are usually a glorious blend of bittersweet comedy and high style. Was it the jumble of accents, or the bad wigs or the usually reliable Frank Morgan's unfortunate one-note characterization, (and that note was a whiny one)? Or maybe it was just that Fay Wray's character as the nubile-yet-dim peasant girl, (though she looked lovely) was written and played in an uninteresting manner. Or perhaps it was the fact that I always find Fredric March a bit silly in these dashing costume roles, (though he was very good in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Death Takes a Holiday during this same period). Maybe I'll have to give it another chance sometime, but I'm not eager to repeat the experience.

• 2 months later...

This is one of my favorites, and I laughed out loud the first time I saw it. This film, and most comedies, are best seen in a dark theatre with an audience. The dialogue and action is timed to allow for audience reaction and laughter. If you are watching it while home alone, it may seem to drag in spots. Invite a few friends over and give it another try.