Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Check it out "Premiere Mag" votes for All-Time Greatest Performances!?

spencerl964

(*-denotes Oscar win) I've already tipped sev. on this special issue of "Premiere Magazine" & it's listing of the top 100 greatest performances in motion picture history & of course, there was bound to be quite a few surprises I'm only listing it's final overall top ten-(P.S. This is 1 that AFI should be covering as well, as opposed to the upcoming & silly "100 years...100 Cheers" (June on CBS from "The Kodak-Theatre")

To Mongo, Mr. Burdell-(for his exceptionalsite!) & others

1st place. Peter 0'Toole in *"Lawrence of Arabia"-(though he lost "The Golden Boy" to *Peck as Atticus Finch this year-1962)

2. *Marlon Brando as Terry Malloy in "0n the Waterfront" (1954) (Columbia)

3. *Meryl Streep as Sophie Zawistowska in "Sophie's Choice" (1982)

4. Al Pacino as Sonny Wortzik in "Dog Day Afternoon" (1975-of course the AMPAS went with *Nicholson as RP McMurphy in "Cuckoo's Nest")

5. Bette Davis as Margo Channing in *"All About Eve" (1950) (Fox)

6. *James Cagney as George M. Cohan in "Yankee Doodle Dandy" (1942) (WB)

7. Dustin Hoffman as Enrico Salvatore Rizzo or "Ratso" Rizzo in *"Midnight Cowboy" (1969-most friends say he really gets upset when anyone brings up his Oscar loss for this in favor of the legendary *John Wayne in "True Grit" He insists he & *Voight split the vote)

8. James Stewart as George Bailey in "It's a Wonderful Life" (1946) (RKO)

9. Gene Wilder as Frederick Frankenstein 11 in "Young Frankenstein" (1974)(I KNOW WHAT YOUR THINKIN'?)

10th place. *Robert De Niro as Jake LaMotta in "Raging Bull" (1980)

Remember, this is their list of the greatest & not mine though!

Missing is any understated yet superb-(likely too understated for most, apparently) *Spencer Tracy in "Inherit the Wind" (1960) (UA)/ "0ld Man & the Sea" (1958) (WB) or anything for that matter?

& AFI's all-time actress-(1999 special) *Katharine Hepburn's closest to the top is her brilliant Eleanor of Aquitaine 11 in "The Lion in Winter" (1968)

& *Chaplin, Garbo & *0livier are listed way down the list???

& just for the record-(for those that don't get this April issue. Which you should, agree or disagree It's still a keeper!)

A few are interviewed on their own pix Including the recent Oscar victor: *Reese Witherspoon & she cited Natalie Wood as Denee in "Splendor in the Grass" (1961) (Warner Bros.) As was Paul Giamatti, of whom voted for: Robert Walker as Anthony Bruno in "Strangers on a Train" (1951)

& a section is solely devoted to child performances as well-(my candidate is missing: *Peggy Ann Garner in "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" (1945) (Fox)

But, check it out

Please give your thoughts & I thank you

Message was edited by:

myidolspencer

Message was edited by:

myidolspencer

I didn't see the magazine, but it likely had more recent references than old. lol, Gene Wilder in Young Frankenstein is considered one of the greatest performances of all time? Somebody's smoking something over at Premiere.

Who would I pick...

Well, these are just off the top of my head and not in order, but:

Gregory Peck in To Kill A Mockingbird

Maggie Smith in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

Sidney Poitier in "To Sir with Love"

Olivia de Havilland in "The Heiress"

James Cagney in "White Heat" and "Yankee Doodle Dandy"

Broderick Crawford in "All the King's Men"

Judy Holliday in "Born Yesterday"

Charlie Chaplin in "City Lights"

Celia Johnson in "Brief Encounter"

Humphrey Bogart in "Dead End" and "The African Queen"

Gloria Swanson in "Sunset Blvd."

Henry Fonda in "The Grapes of Wrath"

Peter Sellers as "Dr. Strangelove"

Marlon Brando in "A Streetcar named Desire" and "On the Waterfront"

Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt in "As Good As It Gets"

Jack Lemmon in "The Apartment" and "Days of Wine and Roses"

James stewart in "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington"

Charles Laughton in "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"

William Daniels in "1776"

Ernest Borgnine in "Marty"

Marilyn Monroe and Jack Lemmon in "Some Like It Hot"

Bette Davis in "All About Eve"

Audrey Hepburn in "Breakfast at Tiffany's"

there are so many more.

1st of all, thanks to those of whom submitted own pix! Where are you folks-(Mongo, cyberspacy, ML, path40,etc? & I needed to know, is our fellow TCM-ITE & bona-fide Hedy Lamarr buff> Antar still on these forums? If you see this, please let me know)

& I must also post a bit of a "retraction" in regard to *"The Great: Spencer Tracy" He was included in this collectors issue of "Premiere" For 1960's powerhouse courtroom drama "Inherit the Wind" Though, all the way down the list at No. 67?

Also, who got the magazine by the way?

Thank You & please give your own pix

Archived