Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Programmer, You Rock!

constarkel

My grandchild and some of his friends were over and enjoyed the movie "Benji".

It's nice to know that TCM also caters to the kids.

And how about "Brief Encounter" this evening? Quite a movie. And the splendid color in "The Happy Breed" is most impressive. A terrific print.

Hey Constarkel,

May I suggest you take the TCM Challenge and put together a week's worth of programming. It might be the tonic for your irascible mood of late.

You tell 'em Lynn! But you and I and the others know that it's falling on deaf ears. Some people live to be contrary. Though what they get out of it is beyond me.

And I was thinking the same thing Mongo...what a great opprtunity for families to spend the evening with their kids. Lord Knows, network television holds no programming for families even in the early evening.

"Hey kids. Hurry up. Dateline is on!" I don't think so.

Kyle in Hollywood

So the fact that TCM shows these movies in pan & scan is perfectly acceptable to all of you? Brief Encounter is a fine movie but is a recent repeat. I could put together a week of programming but it would look very similar to those that have already been posted. And each and every one of them is far superior to what TCM programmer does on a monthly basis. If you think Benji should be given a primetime showing every month, then why didn't you schedule it?

I'm here to say I really like the range of stuff I'm seeing on TCM ? Charley Chase, the pre-Codes, Neil Simon and Kurosawa, ?Benji,? the pirates and the cowboys, Thirties musicals and Sixties pop. One of TCM?s greatest strengths is its thoughtfully-crafted eclecticism. And the scheduling has so many clever grace notes. TCMProgrammer -- you deserve a lot of credit for your work. The truth is, you really *do* rock!

Brief Encounter might be a recent repeat, but it's such a fantastic movie I don't mind it being shown again. I know TCM only leases some movies for a certain amount of time and Brief Encounter was a recent "premiere" (according to the January guide), so that could be why it's being shown so much. Either way, I have to say Trevor Howard is extremely handsome in it. Swoon.

I am disappointed that Benji was shown in the pan and scan mode, especially since the trailer they've been running all week was in widescreen. I just can't sit through a P/S movie. It bothers me to no end, knowing that portions of the movie are being chopped off. It always disappoints me when TCM shows a P/S version of a movie, but I know it's not under their control.

But kudos to the TCM programmer for the recent schedule! I've been loving the movies shown this past week: This Happy Breed, Plaza Suite, The Outrage, Divorce American Style, Love Crazy, The Ex-Mrs. Bradford, The Seven Samurai, The Cheap Detective, Penelope (I loved Peter Falk night, as you can tell. I would have loved to see Castle Keep and The Great Race thrown in too)--and those are the ones off the top of my head. And thank you for showing Wings of Desire in letterbox this time around. I was so disappointed that this beautiful movie was shown in P/S in December, but you guys showed it properly this time. Thanks! Looking forward to the week ahead and April--Deborah Kerr SOTM!

And just so I don't sound too gushy, I hated Love Story. Yeech. That's one movie I wouldn't mind never seeing again.

// I could put together a week of programming but it would look very similar to those that have already been posted. //

Do you really see that when you look at them? Because I was amazed on how they were so different, theme, studio, year and film wise. When I look at them I see how people have worked in their favorites which are unique and if we did a month instead of a week we would have had repeats also, I know I would have. Just to make a note, my favorites are films made between 1930 -35, 1953 -57 and 1960 - 70. The reason being that these are transition years for films, silent to sound, full frame to Widescreen and the end of the Hayes period.

Allie, I agree with you. I came close to having a repeat or two within the week. For example, I had Scaramouche in a day of swashbucklers but it was also directed by George Sidney who I dedicated a day, too, so it was tempting to put it there, thus repeating my choices.

I could put together a week of programming but it would look very similar to those that have already been posted. >>

Constarkel,

Sorry, but I'm not buying that as a reason for not participating. I think the challenge schedules show an amazing array of film tastes in directors, stars and content. It's easy to sit back and say yeah, I'd have chosen similar films but actually doing it gives a sense of who you are. Film choices have the ability to tell us a great deal about one another because it is one of the few shared art forms that people experience on a large scale and yet the films touch each of us in different ways.

Plus, it's really easy to criticize someone's job from afar. I think one of the overwhelming discoveries by those of us who took the challenge is how difficult it is to program one week, let alone a full month, let alone three months out.

Allie,

I liked the years of films that matter to you as transition years are often the most interesting. I would add the transition from silent to sound and the films of the 1970s for my favorite years.

I would have loved the opportunity to program more films from the Warners library post 1948 but rules is rules as they say.

> Plus, it's really easy to criticize someone's job

> from afar. I think one of the overwhelming

> discoveries by those of us who took the challenge is

> how difficult it is to program one week, let alone a

> full month, let alone three months out.

You're forgetting that the programmers are getting paid the big bucks to provide us with quality programming we expect on TCM. I will criticize all I want, take tonight for example - Charly and Awakenings - what a couple of snoozers!

I do have to say March has been one of the better months of late, lots of precodes. But when we get the likes of Benji, Plaza Suite, Divorce American Style, etc. I have to complain.

You know, I don't have many problems with the programming choices.

But what I DO have a HUGE problem with these days is films being cut off at the end because TCM does not time them correctly.

For the love of GOD, for all of us TiVo owners out there, can you PLEASE stop cutting off film endings?

This weekend, we had "Brief Encounter", "The Red Lily" (this one by a LONG way - like 3 or 4 minutes!), and "The Clairvoyant" all run overtime and get cut off by TiVo.

I'd seen "Brief Encounter" before so fortunately, I know what happens...and I was able to see the last 3-4 minutes of "The Red Lily"...but *only* because I had TiVo'd "The Clairvoyant", which came after it. Thank God I TiVo'd "The Clairvoyant" at the last minute, or I'd have not been able to see "The Red Lily" - a film I'd been eagerly waiting for for TWO MONTHS.

But since I did not TiVo the thing after "The Clairvoyant", that ending is completely missing....so I'll have to just delete it without watching it, once I watch the ending of "The Red Lily".

PLEASE fix this.

And no...I do NOT apologize for being annoyed. :(

pktrekgirl,

Thirty minutes ago, I had a discussion with my wife regarding "The Red Lily" and the one she wanted to keep--"The Clairvoyant". Luckily, I recorded the movie after "The Clairvoyant". So, we caught most of "The Red Lily" and most of "The Clairvoyant". As I write this message, she (my wife) is 'recombobulating' the segments into (mostly) whole movies. I will have to send you a DVD of "The Clairvoyant", if the 'recombobulation' works.

Rusty

I have a DVR with my digital cable box. I can program it to start recording up to an hour or two _before_ a show starts and end up to an hour or two _after_ the show ends. Obviously, I don't give that much leeway time; I usually do five minutes before and after. I've learned to do ten minutes before and after if I DVR a movie from AMC (I know, I know) because AMC is run by idiots who can't tell time and in the past I've missed beginnings and ends of movies even with the five minute slack. A while ago F/X or TBS showed "Bringing out the Dead" and the extra ten minutes at the end of the programmed time was _still_ not enough for me to get the end of the movie.

But, my question is, can't you do this with TiVo? TiVo isn't programmable this way?

> But what I DO have a HUGE problem with these days is

> films being cut off at the end because TCM does not

> time them correctly.

>

> For the love of GOD, for all of us TiVo owners out

> there, can you PLEASE stop cutting off film endings?

>

> This weekend, we had "Brief Encounter", "The Red

> Lily" (this one by a LONG way - like 3 or 4

> minutes!), and "The Clairvoyant" all run overtime and

> get cut off by TiVo.

>

> I'd seen "Brief Encounter" before so fortunately, I

> know what happens...and I was able to see the last

> 3-4 minutes of "The Red Lily"...but *only* because I

> had TiVo'd "The Clairvoyant", which came after it.

> Thank God I TiVo'd "The Clairvoyant" at the last

> minute, or I'd have not been able to see "The Red

> Lily" - a film I'd been eagerly waiting for for TWO

> MONTHS.

>

> But since I did not TiVo the thing after "The

> Clairvoyant", that ending is completely missing....so

> I'll have to just delete it without watching it, once

> I watch the ending of "The Red Lily".

Karlofffan,

Tivo will let you start a recording early but you can't change the end time. I had the same problem last year when recording "Lost" because ABC runs it a minute or two past 10:00.

It kept getting cut off. Finally ABC must have gotten enough flack because this year when you Tivo it, it has the correct end time of 10:01 or 10:02.

Please TCM this is an easy fix. Please fix it.

I just checked out my recording of "The Clairvoyant" and sure enough, the movie starts about 12 minutes late. I allowed for 10 extra minutes at the end, as the movie started so late, I still missed the last couple of minutes. I checked the schedule and unlike "Benji", "Good Times", "Operation Bikini", "He Laughed Last" etc., this movie will not be shown again in the near future on TCM. Thanks!

I think this says a great deal about your beloved TCM Programmer's level of respect towards the old classics. They are frequently shown once and in the wee hours where the only way we can see them is to record them, and then they screw up the timing so we can't even do that. The modern garbage movies that TCM Programmer so loves (many of them shown in Pan & Scan) are nearly always shown during the prime time hours and usually multiple times, month after month after month.

Karlofffan wrote:

>I have a DVR with my digital cable box. I can program it to start recording up to an hour or two _before_ a show starts and end up to an hour or two _after_ the show ends. Obviously, I don't give that much leeway time; I usually do five minutes before and after. I've learned to do ten minutes before and after if I DVR a movie from AMC (I know, I know) because AMC is run by idiots who can't tell time and in the past I've missed beginnings and ends of movies even with the five minute slack. A while ago F/X or TBS showed "Bringing out the Dead" and the extra ten minutes at the end of the programmed time was _still_ not enough for me to get the end of the movie.<

Hi Karlofffan,

Well, the thing is, you can force TiVo to do this, I think, but then you can't TiVo *anything else* during that next time slot.

So in this case, even if I had known by psychic reading ( *lol* ) that TCM was gonna cut off the ending of "The Red Lily", I could have forced TiVo to record "The Red Lily" for five minutes over...but then I would not have been able to record "The Clairavoyant" at all.

In other words, TiVo will not record what it thinks is two things at once - two things taking up the same time slot.

And TiVo will not let you edit stuff before burning it to DVD either, so I can't piece together bits and pieces from two different time slots and put them together on a single DVD (unless I burn them at only basic quality and include the programming from both time slots on a single DVD). In short, in this case, if I want to keep "The Red Lily" on DVD, I have no choice but to keep one DVD containing the first part of the film...and another DVD that contains the last 4 minutes...plus most of "The Clairavoyant"...which I will not have the ending of.

And this is further complicated by another factor: since we don't know ahead of time which films will run over on TCM, if I added 3-5 minutes to the ending of everything I recorded, this would mean that I would *never* be able to record two things in a row - not only just TCM things, but ANYTHING on TV that starts in the same timeslot as this little "overflow" buffer I'd be programming..

And of course, since the buffer is not always needed, I would needlessly miss ALOT of stuff, just to assure myself of getting the last minutes of the occasional TCM overflow. And when the overflow wasn't needed, I would then have the beginning of another film in my recording that I would not be able to edit out.

The bottom line is that this is a problem that can be easily fixed by TCM. Just start stuff on time...and fill the ENDING of the time slot with all the little commercials about the Young Composers or whatever.

Cus there is nothing more annoying than missing the ending of a film you've spent a few hours watching.

And see, this is not the first time this had happened. A few weeks ago it was happening alot too....and as a result, I have a list of about 8 movies that I will have to re-record, just so I can see the bloomin' ending.

I just checked my DVR of "The Red Lily", and yup, the ending is cut off, even with my extra five minutes. This is the first time this has happened to me with TCM. Since I didn't DVR "The Clairvoyant", I _don't_ have the end of TRL.

In many of posts I've _defended_ TCM against its detractors. But now I'm complaining! Do you hear me, tcmprogrammer???!!! "Benji" and "Come Blow Your Horn" pan and scanned in prime time, but Sunday Night Silents shown at THE WRONG TIMES? The next time leowhatever goes on one of his anti-TCM rants, I think I'll just keep quiet.

Regarding the timing of "The Red Lily," that film came in longer than we anticipated and I apologize for the issues that it created for people with tivos - because it was so long it had an impact on the films that played later that night. That was my mistake.

I understand, constarkel, that you think any post-1970 film shouldn't be on the network (or at the very least popular films such as "Benji" and "The Karate Kid" shouldn't be), but I don't think it's fair to say we have a lack of respect for older classics because of the times they're played. I just went over the 2 "primetime" titles each night in March (starting with the 8PM ET film) and there are 10 films from the '30s, 18 films from the '40s, 11 films from the '50s, 15 films from the '60s, 7 films from the '70s and 1 film from the '90s. We always try to play letterbox versions (they aren't always available, that's just a fact). We try to put together film festivals that go in-depth into different aspects of film history. We never interupt the films with commercials. We never edit films. We try to obtain the best prints that we can. And we play an average of over 350 films a month, including silent and foreign-language films, both sometimes in primetime. I'm not sure how you can conclude that we don't have respect for "old classics."

Pretty easy to criticize when you have no concept of the complexity & difficulty of the task at hand, given the restrictions. The challenge was supposed to give persons such as yourself at least a clue as to what it takes. I can't say that I'm surprised that none of "you" has taken the time to participate, just disappointed that you haven't. Everyone who's tried has gained an appreciation of this (even though only a week has been asked for), and it's a cop-out to say "it's not my job". Not taking the challenge while continuing to complain reveals a lot about "you".

Your accusation about TCM's programmer(s) "respect for the classics" has no merit; I'm only sorry "he" felt the need to respond to such trolling. Constructive criticism is one thing, cluttering up these boards with the same baseless rants month after month is another.

tcmprogrammer,

Thanks for the apology and explanation. No problem - nobody's perfect.

However, would you consider replaying "The Red Lily" and "The Clairvoyant" sometime in the next few months or so? And I guess the one after that, which I didn't record?

I'd love to see "The Clairvoyant" and I won't be watching what I have because I'll miss the ending.

And I'd love to record "The Red Lily" in one piece - I really enjoyed it, pieced together and all. ;)

I'm not sure who you were directing your remarks to, path40a. You seem to be addressing them to several people in this thread, and not just the one person.

Now, I don't think I'm a complainer, as a rule. I like the station very much and although I did not participate in your little game (because I do not have a listing of films I can include without spending DAYS figuring out what *should be available in a simple database* [and would be available in a simple database to an actual programmer] - translated, give me the tools, and I'll do the challenge), I do understand that it's a difficult job.

However, I DO think it's a valid complaint to speak up when a film I've been waiting for for weeks, that runs in the middle of the night, is cut off by TiVo - and not just the credits, but the whole last 5 minutes of the film itself.

TCM is a great station, but they are NOT perfect. And I think I had a right to speak up about my issue, cus it's not the first time.

pktrekgirl, I am a complainer. I like to complain, morning, noon, and night. It's my raison d'etre. I'll even complain that I never learned French. Complaining is like ice cream to me. I'm not, as I've been accused because I complain so much, unhappy. I just like to do it. Complain, that is.

Given that, this reminds me of another board made up of old **** like myself. Two of the categories are teevee and movies. EVERYtime someone happens to talk about life, and not teevee or movies, one guy just HAS to respond: ON TOPIC, ON TOPIC. Well, guess who doesn't talk there anymore? :)

Okay, point -- this place has a few people (less than before though) who still endeavor to censor people and try to tell other people how to post and criticize people for their opinions. Not just in the vein of 'how in the HECK can you like Charlie Chaplin anyway?' but more along the lines of 'you have no right to think that' or 'you have no right to criticize TCM or anime or Ted Turner or his wife or .................(insert a topic here) because I SAY SO'. And therein lies the problem.

Every single person here has the absolute right to say whatever they want, even IF they want to say they like the abysmally icky Charlie Chaplin, because guess WHAT? This is an Internet board, it's free, it's (thankfully) unmoderated like the stupid A&E boards were, and people are by and large pretty nice here.

So, pkrekgirl? Say what you want. And in my best faux Latin:

Non illigitamus carborundum

Archived