Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Richard Fleischer has died

lzcutter

Surprised no one else posted about this.

He died over the weekend. He was 89. Movies he helmed include "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea", "Tora! Tora! Tora!", "Dr. Doolittle" and "Conan the Destroyer".

I like the diversity in Fleischer's work. That he could make The Narrow Margain, Soylent Green, and even Red Sonja was a testament to a very unique career. Mr. Majestyk was a favourite film of mine when I was younger and didn't have a clue who Fleischer was, only that I'd seen his name as director on Fantastic Voyage, 20,000 Leagues, and the not-so-flattering The Jazz Singer. Scores of directors produce slick entertainment that somehow manages to fly past without anybody really noticing an individual style or trademark. Not every director has one, and I wonder if Fleischer really did, or whether his work always reflected an edgy and tense nature, Dr. Doolittle aside. Maybe I'm wrong. I've never seen Armoured Car Robbery and I thought I noticed that it will be airing at some point soon. I'll make it a point not to miss it.

I believe he directed Compulsion as well. His father was Max Fleischer the animator who had a well publcized falling out with Walt Disney back in the day. According to Richard Fleischer's obit, the name Disney was not spoken again in the Fleischer household.

When the son called his father to ask if he should take the job directing "20,000 Leagues", his father replied without saying Disney's name, "The offer's too good to pass up".

Richard Fleischer won his only Oscar in 1947 for directing a post War Documentary that was written by Theodore Geisel who went on to become Dr. Seuss.

Archived