Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Movie Character

Who is the movie character that you love more than any other? This is the magical creature who you welcome into your home, many times, year after year, and never tire of? My ultimate favorite character is Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara in the incomparable "Gone With the Wind." Leigh was caught by those huge Technicolor cameras in l939 when she was at the peak of beauty and charisma. Bette Davis as Judith Traherne from "Dark Victory" of the same year is another all-time fave. Claudette Colbert as the warm, compassionate Anne Hilton in David Selznick's masterpiece of World War II nostalgia, "Since You Went Away" from l944 is another fabulous friend whose always welcome into my home. Who are some of yours?

Bruno Antony as played by Robert Walker in Strangers On A Train is my favourite movie character. I especially enjoy the scene where Bruno pops the little boys' balloon at the carnival. Yeah, he may be psychotic, but he's cool!

I have to pick the one and only Bette Davis as Jane Hudson in "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?". Her character of the fading movie star was outrageously wonderful.

Close behind is another fading movie star and that is Miss Gloria Swanson as Norma Desmond in "Sunset Boulevard". Both these gals were TNT terrific!

I have to give some thought about my favorite male characters.

Mongo

1) Any and all of the characters portrayed by Hedy Lamarr

2) Garbo's Queen Christina in "Queen Christina"

3) Rita Hayworth's Gilda in "Gilda"

4) Claudette Colbert's Cleopatra in "Cleopatra"

5) Bogart's Rick in "Casablanca"

6) Mary Pickford's Tessibel Skinner in "Tess of the Storm Country"

7) Kenneth More's Charles Lightoller in "A Night to Remember"

Kenneth More's portrayal of Second Officer Lightoller was outstanding, especially when compared to the minimal development of that figure in Camerons' "Titanic". I also enjoy F. Murray Abraham as Antonio Salieri in "Amadeus" and Claude Rains as Captain Renault in "Casablanca".

I'm glad you agree, nedlato. It's wierd, in "A Night to Remember" Lightoller is the "hero with the revolver" and in the 1997 historical ca-ca-poo blockbuster "Titanic" he's the "mean guy with the revolver".

I have been interested in the history of the ship since I saw "Titanic" with Barbara Stanwyck and Clifton Webb. Not much later the ship was discovered, and all the Titanic films were shown on television, including; "S.O.S. Titanic", and "A Night To Remember". I would be interested in seeing the 1940's era German version of the Titanic story. It was produced during the Third Reich, and contains a fictional German officer who is ,of course, the hero of the story.

I'm a Susan Hayward Fan so my favorites are her characters: Eloise Winters "My Foolish Heart"; Angelica Evans "Smash Up..."; Jane Froman "With A Song In My Heart"; Lillian Roth "I'll Cry Tomorrow"; Rae Smith "Back Street"; Barbara Graham "I Want To Live". I would have Susan Hayward as a live-in friend anytime and she wouldn't have to lift a finger. I relate to her totally, completely and forever.

Here are some of my favorite male characters:

Manuel Fidello as played by Spencer Tracy in "Captains Courageous".

Hoke Colburn played by Morgan Freeman in "Driving Miss Daisy".

Cody Jarrett played by James Cagney in "White Heat".

Gypo Nolan played by Victor McLaglen in "The Informer".

Tom Joad played by Henry Fonda in "The Grapes of Wrath".

Some more ladies:

Catherine Sloper played by Olivia de Havilland in "The Heiress".

Carrie Watts played by Geraldine Page in "The Trip to Bountiful".

Olan played by Luise Rainer in "The Good Earth".

Sally McKee played by Jan Sterling in "The High and the Mighty".

Good stuff!

Mongo

Two of my favorite character in films are:

Mortimer Brewster as played by Cary Grant in "Arsenic And Old Lace" (1944). Cary's reactions are worth the priceof admission alone!

Vera as played by Ann Savage in "Detour" (1945). She's on the screen for 30 minutes in a 1:09 movie... Try to take your eyes off of her! She'll beat ya senseless!

Warren William--playing ANY of his seducer roles.

Cary Grant--Mortimer Brewster in ARSENIC & OLD LACE

Jean Harlow--Vantine in RED DUST, Lil Legendre in RED HEADED WOMAN

Joan Crawford--Mildred Pierce in the movie w/the same name, and any of her "shopgirl" roles from the early 30's.

James Cagney--as George M. Cohan in YANKEE DOODLE DANDY

John Wayne--as "Trooper" Thornton in QUIET MAN

Barbara Stanwyck--Lora Hart in NIGHT NURSE (so campy!)

Fun topic patypancak, enjoy reading others views on this. I agree with you about "Gone with the Wind" and Scarlett. Another favorite character for me is Rosie in "The African Queen" ..Kate the Great, the 1st time she said "Charlie" ..the way her face lit up, that glorious Hepburn smile. Long live TCM !!

• 2 months later...

In real life I prefer NICE people, but in the movies I enjoy "dark" characters because they are usually more complex and interesting. My all time fave is Paul Newman as Hud Bannon in "HUD" (of course). I also loved George C. Scott as Patton. Bogey plays two of my other picks: Capt. Phillip Queeg from "The Caine Mutiny" and Fred C. Dobbs from "The Treasure of Sierra Madre".Best female Characters: Betty Davis as Margo Channing in "All About Eve" and Doris Day as Jan Morrow in "Pillow Talk>" (Talk about a dark character). :)

Powell & Loy in the Thin Man Movies

Harrison & Connery In The Last Crusade

Bogey & Becall in To Have and Have Not

Stanwyck and MacMurry in Remember the Night

Poitier & Steiger in Heat Of The Night

Cusack & Zuniga in The Sure Thing

Lemmon & Maclaine in The Apartment

Stewart, Hepburn, Grant, and Hussey in The Philadelphia Story

Wow! There are just to many to list

I agree with mongo 100 per cent about *Tracy as Manuel Pedillo in Kipling's "Captains Courageous" *Cagney seemed to be the top of dying scenes. Nobody got-it like *Jim. But this one time *Spence even out did him! In the novel it was more based on Capt. Disco Troop played by L. Barrymore. & I have to disagree with my pal Antar on 1953's Fox version of "Titanic"-(It did win Best Screenplay, but the ACADEMY had (3) writing awards for some time!) I thought it was good (***) & the British "A Night to Remember" very good (***1/2) However the 1997 monumental epic in my opinion is our era's equivalent, or closest to-it, of: *"GWTW!" & I usually don't follow the crowd/rarely if ever. But it had some tremendous images. When that massive ships stern rose up, before starting it's demise into the sea, is one of the most stunning images. & the final with Gloria Stuart as Rose & what is obviously meant to signify her death in her sleep, but again with that ship, though this time miles below! & something veeery rare these days, A TREMENDOUS ENDING! In which she sees all those people again, as if it were almost a play & they were taking a final-bow! Most flix nowadays, seem to save the worst scene for last?

it's been quite awhile since i checked these boards...but I couldn't let this topic go by without the mention of my fav...Rosalind Russell in "Auntie Mame" I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've sat through this movie. ...and everytime I see it I find something new. That's what makes a classic!!

She was wonderful, and the film is superb! I bet I have watched "Auntie Mame" at least 50 times myself, and I will gladly watch it 50 more times, as it brings an immense amount of pleasure to me. I have always thought that Roz Russell must have been a little like Mame herself, as she captured this woman beautifully. The dinner party toward the end of the film is a comic riot as well!!! Life is a banquet!!

Archived