Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has Hollywood been throttled into submission by political correctness?

NipkowDisc

this is just my theory but I think the problem is political correctness. this mindset has killed the historical epic. this politically correct mindset is so prevalent in hollywood that any and all subject matter that requires that women either specifically or generally be cast as subordinate to men in any situation is a big no-no.

I mean if somebody wanted to make a WWII film, it would be required that there by at least one female commando who can kick the bejesus outta any man period! even though it goes against the realities of male/female physiology.

women must not be second place to men no way no how. THAT is the unwritten directive that is now even inhibiting hollywood's subject matter.

men can no longer be men but women can be amazons and harridans all over the place.

this attitude has choked off hollywood's very creativity.

this is all of course only MY opinion. :D

• Like 1

this is just my theory but I think the problem is political correctness. this mindset has killed the historical epic. this politically correct mindset is so prevalent in hollywood that any and all subject matter that requires that women either specifically or generally be cast as subordinate to men in any situation is a big no-no.

I mean if somebody wanted to make a WWII film, it would be required that there by at least one female commando who can kick the bejesus outta any man period! even though it goes against the realities of male/female physiology.

women must not be second place to men no way no how. THAT is the unwritten directive that is now even inhibiting hollywood's subject matter.

men can no longer be men but women can be amazons and harridans all over the place.

this attitude has choked off hollywood's very creativity.

this is all of course only MY opinion. :D

Again you fail to understand marketing.   Women have their own disposable income and when a women is coupled with a man she often controls the household's disposable income.    So making movies with female characters even if out of place (from your POV),  or from an inaccurate historical POV,   appeals to women and helps the box office,  steaming or DVD rental \ purchase take. 

women must not be second place to men no way no how. 

There are untold stories of WWII involving women.  One great example is Liudmyla Mykhailivna Pavlychenko a Russian female sharpshooter and the movie, "The Battle for Sevastopol" (2015) was overdue.

7d8736c91a3e49793a045a6abaedbe2c.jpg

tumblr_nmly4gBn051r05bkco1_500.gif

battle-for-sevastopol.35711.jpg

• Like 1

Well if white Christian able-bodied heterosexual men weren't so sensitive about letting people in and using films as a means to tell stories honestly and authentically, there would be no one whining about "political correctness."

yeah, but you can't be so resentful of all the glorious accomplishments of white christian heterosexual men that you proceed to rob them of their due. all of modern civilizations' greatest accomplishments of the last 500 years from the renaissance to the space age courtesy of the white european christian heterosexual man. for others to be so resentful of that to be inclined to revision as a means of diminishing it all speaks a great deal of from where the other side is coming from. :D

• Like 1

yeah, but you can't be so resentful of all the glorious accomplishments of white christian heterosexual men that you proceed to rob them of their due. all of modern civilizations' greatest accomplishments of the last 500 years from the renaissance to the space age courtesy of the white european christian heterosexual man. for others to be so resentful of that to be inclined to revision as a means of diminishing it all speaks a great deal of from where the other side is coming from. :D

and anybody would be resentful of undue demonization. :)

all of modern civilizations' greatest accomplishments of the last 500 years from the rennaisance to the space age courtesy of the white european christian heterosexual man.

First, that is not true.  A number of those contributors were homosexuals.  Second, there were contributions by people of all religions, races, and sexes.  

• Like 3

So your position is that it's impossible to be creative without being demeaning, patronizing, or contemptuous.

today's hollywood is prepared to slight white heterosexual men even to the point of historical inaccuracy. that is all three especialy the last one and imo it stems from hostility and resentment. :)

First, that is not true.  A number of those contributors were homosexuals.  Second, there were contributions by people of all religions, races, and sexes.  

throughout the whole of human history, maybe. but the white guy has got it done like no one else these past five centuries. :D

eat our progress, enviers! :lol:

cluelessness of what? a NOW inconvenient history? :)

Do you really think there were no important discoveries or advances made by women, blacks, Asians, Jews, Muslims, atheists, gays, lesbians, etc.?

And wouldn't IN THE HEART OF THE SEA, currently in release, qualify as a white male historical epic?

I think you had some bad progresso this morning, or maybe your steak-ums were spoiled.

• Like 2

throughout the whole of human history, maybe. but the white guy has got it done like no one else these past five centuries. :D

eat our progress, enviers! :lol:

however, I will grant you that not all white contributors were heterosexual such as michelangelo, probably the greatest human artist of all time. certainly the greatest sculptor.

Do you really think there were no important discoveries or advances made by women, blacks, Asians, Jews, Muslims, atheists, gays, lesbians, etc.?

And wouldn't IN THE HEART OF THE SEA, currently in release, qualify as a white male historical epic?

I think you had some bad progresso this morning, or maybe your steak-ums were spoiled.

maybe steak-umms tomorry nite. tonite it was buttered toast and herrs cheese curls. :D

• Like 1

the problem is political correctness demands an equal proportioning of humanity's greatest accomplishments and reality doan work like that.

white heterosexual guys do have the lion's share of the technological advancements of western civilization. and that's the way it is.

You folks will have to excuse ND here. He's been a little more upset lately than normal.

It seems he was all set to attend his annual local performance of The Nutcracker this Christmas season until he recently heard that Tchaikovsky was gay!

(...and so, "standing on his Christian principles" and thus refusing to attend anything written by some gay guy, his Christmas was ruined this year!!!)

LOL 

• Like 5

today's hollywood is prepared to slight white heterosexual men even to the point of historical inaccuracy. that is all three especialy the last one and imo it stems from hostility and resentment. :)

The fatal flaw in your argument is that there has ever been any historical accuracy in hollywood, or its products.

• Like 3

the problem is political correctness demands an equal proportioning of humanity's greatest accomplishments and reality doan work like that.

white heterosexual guys do have the lion's share of the technological advancements of western civilization. and that's the way it is.

I repeat, and for the last time, as this is getting repetitive, this is not true, and is the product of your politically correct mytho-history.  

NipkowDisc, on 27 Dec 2015 - 9:21 PM, said:snapback.png

This is not true, either, and is the product of your political correctness.

Well slayton, let's not forget here that when it comes to getting SOME things "done", just within the years 1939-1945, someone like ND here COULD legitimately make the claim that "the white guy as got it done like no one else", RIGHT?! In THIS case of course, I'm talkin' about killing his fellow man.

(...I mean, 60 million overall dead sure sounds like "gettin' it done" to ME, dude, well, depending upon one's definition of that phrase, anyway...of course I suppose we MIGHT have to give a little "credit" to the "yellow guy" here TOO, huh!)

;)

NipkowDisc, on 27 Dec 2015 - 9:21 PM, said:snapback.png

Well slayton, let's not forget here that when it comes to getting SOME things "done", just within the years 1939-1945, someone like ND here COULD legitimately make the claim that "the white guy as got it done like no one else", RIGHT?! In THIS case of course, I'm talkin' about killing his fellow man.

(...I mean, 60 million overall dead sure sounds like "gettin' it done" to ME, dude, well, depending upon one's definition of that phrase, anyway...of course I suppose we MIGHT have to give a little "credit" to the "yellow guy" here TOO, huh!)

;)

Yeah.  'Spose the only reason others may not have racked up similar totals is that there weren't as many people around to kill.  Tho Mr. Genghis Khan may have done it in his march across Asia.  Heard when he massacred cities he piled the skulls up in pyramids.

The fatal flaw in your argument is that there has ever been any historical accuracy in hollywood, or its products.

Another fatal flaw is lack of an example.

Where is this film that is supposed to be accurate, not comic hero, that panders to the PC crowd. Not saying its without merit. But, can't know without the evidence.