Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

must tcm show the same horror, science fiction, fantasy films unceasingly?

NipkowDisc

they keep showing the same sci-fi and fantasy films from their stasus boxed unchanging film coffer. again we are treated to the same beaten to death harryhausen offerings like jason and the argonauts and the valley of gwangi.

okay, I'm convinced! tcm worships ray harryhausen...but what about all that tcm has chosen to ignore like the k. gordon murray english-dubbed horror imports from mexico?
what great fodder those gems would be for tcm underground...instead tcm continues to ignore them like they doan even exist!

over the past 25 years tcm has done great justice to the crime and film noir genre of films but not so excellently by the science fiction and horror genres.

there should be equal time.

tcm should show william cameron menzies' invaders from mars (the superior uk version)

here's another point, tcm loves to pay homage to women as these great unsung pioneers of cinema...

and yet they have never seen fit to show the arthur c. gardner - jules v. levy 1958 sci-fi movie 'the flame barrier' with a screenplay written by Pat Fielder, a woman.

do they show it? no. why? somebody has to tell me why. :angry:

I suppose the flame barrier is for some reason as unobtainable as hot spell.

why?  

I dunno. :huh:

it should be!...but it ain't.

go figure. :D

Although I admit to being a Harryhausen fan myself, you have a point, that's been mentioned before, that the programmers have never really shown a penchant for the sci-fi/horror genres, especially newer films.

That's why the horror premieres in UNDERGROUND lately are a pleasant surprise.

Hopefully with more coming....

:D

Looks like a relative of the Tabanga. And just so the ladies don't feel left out:

Yeah, that's what probably made me think of the monster in IT CONQUERED THE WORLD.

(...although I suppose it COULD have also been that I understand the monster in this flick DID live in a rented trailer in "Tabanga" Canyon just inland from PCH for a while in the late-'50s and after his movie career went nowhere)

Yeah, that's what probably made me think of the monster in IT CONQUERED THE WORLD.

(...although I suppose it COULD have also been that I understand the monster in this flick DID live in a rented trailer in "Tabanga" Canyon just inland from PCH for a while in the late-'50s and after his movie career went nowhere)

When I was very, very young, my father took me to a double bill of It Conquered the World and The She Creature. A few decades later, I took a friend to see It Conquered the World at the Film Forum. We argued about where to place the emphasis in the film's title. I said it was It CONQUERED the World; she said it was IT Conquered the World. What do you think, Dargo?

When I was very, very young, my father took me to a double bill of It Conquered the World and The She Creature. A few decades later, I took a friend to see It Conquered the World at the Film Forum. We argued about where to place the emphasis in the film's title. I said it was It CONQUERED the World; she said it was IT Conquered the World. What do you think, Dargo?

Well, I suppose you two COULD have at least reached some agreement if the topic of conversation might have been John Wayne making the the absolute WORST Genghis Khan in the "ConquerER" anyway, RIGHT?!

;)

(...but gettin' back to your question here, I gotta say I'm inclined to side with your friend, as I think the emphasis should be squarely placed on the word "It"...sounds a little more "menacing" and "eerie" that way, to my ear anyway)

Does it have to be women? If not, there's 'Sssssss' (1973).

That's a great one wherein Strother Martin turns some poor guy into a snake-man.

Like Amanda Donohoe, Pete Capaldi, better known these days as Dr. Who, turns rather snake-like at the end of Lair of the White Worm:

lair2_thumb.jpg

I posted this in the wrong thread yesterday.  Here are a couple lists of Sci-Fi films not scheduled yet on TCM, as per my project.  Not all can be lost or tied up in rights issues.

Moviecollector's Unscheduled Sci-Fi X-Files (all studios, US)
http://moviecollector.us/reports/unscheduled_Sci_Fi_Genre_US.htm

Moviecollector's Unscheduled Sci-Fi X-Files (all studios, Intl)
http://moviecollector.us/reports/unscheduled_Sci_Fi_Genre_Intl.htm

Does it have to be women? If not, there's 'Sssssss' (1973).

That's a great one wherein Strother Martin turns some poor guy into a snake-man.

I went to see that back in 1973 at the movie theatre. it was on a double bill with The Boy Who Cried Werewolf.

the poor snake guy was dirk benedict. :)

I guess you've never heard of 'Flick' (1970).

This Canadian movie made quite an impression on us for a brief time in Toronto. It's a Frankenstein-themed oddity.

It was re-titled 'Dr. Frankenstein on Campus' for the U.S. market.