Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1965-what are the best films of 50 years ago?

skimpole

FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE SPACE MONSTER a.k.a. MARS INVADES PUERTO RICO

BAD GIRLS GO TO HELL

THE BEACH GIRLS AND THE MONSTER

BLOODY PIT OF HORROR

COLOR ME BLOOD RED

CURSE OF THE FLY

THE DEFILERS

THE EARTH DIES SCREAMING

FASTER, PUSSYCAT! KILL! KILL!

JESSE JAMES MEETS FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER

MONSTER A GO-GO!

MONSTERS CRASH THE PAJAMA PARTY

NIGHTMARE CASTLE

PLANET ON THE PROWL

SPACEFLIGHT IC-1

TERROR CREATURES FROM THE GRAVE

CURSE OF THE VOODOO

HARUM SCARUM

SPACE PROBE TAURUS

and of course DR. ZHIVAGO.

I don't know THE BRICK AND THE MIRROR.

These are my favorites from that year.  There are some major 1965 releases like Dr. Zhivago that I haven't seen, so they're not listed (and who knows if it would be listed had I seen it). 

Listed in no particular order:

1. Cat Ballou

2. Inside Daisy Clover

3. The Sound of Music

4. That Darn Cat! 

5. Beach Blanket Bingo (So sue me, I love teen movies)

I was looking over a list of 1965 film releases (I can never remember what year things came out) and there are many films I've heard of but haven't seen.  There are a few that I have seen (The Great Race, How to Murder Your Wife, and Marriage on the Rocks) that I would never rank on a list.  Lol.  

• Like 1

[...]

and of course DR. ZHIVAGO.[...]

Hah! Good inclusion- fits in stupendously with all those others you mentioned. (Not that I've seen them, but the titles look promising.)

I've not got the most prolific movie-watching background, but to me this list looks pretty dandy:

The Collector
The Loved One
A Thousand Clowns
Repulsion
Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors
Cat Ballou
Juliet of the Spirits
Flight of the Phoenix
Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines

Alphaville

I know I gave Alphaville a pretty ho-hum review here, but it has enough interesting ideas and entertaining moments to put it above the others.

• Like 1

Hah! Good inclusion- fits in stupendously with all those others you mentioned. (Not that I've seen them, but the titles look promising.)

I've not got the most prolific movie-watching background, but to me this list looks pretty dandy:

The Collector

The Loved One

A Thousand Clowns

Repulsion

Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors

Cat Ballou

Juliet of the Spirits

Flight of the Phoenix

Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines

Alphaville

I know I gave Alphaville a pretty ho-hum review here, but it has enough interesting ideas and entertaining moments to put it above the others.

I still need to see SHADOWS OF FORGOTTEN ANCESTORS.

[...]I was looking over a list of 1965 film releases (I can never remember what year things came out) and there are many films I've heard of but haven't seen.  There are a few that I have seen (The Great Race, How to Murder Your Wife, and Marriage on the Rocks) that I would never rank on a list.  Lol.  

I second the boo to The Great Race and will add Bunny Lake is Missing.

I second the boo to The Great Race and will add Bunny Lake is Missing.

On paper, The Great Race seems like it should be good: Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis, Natalie Wood.  Three actors that I enjoy.  Vivian "Ethel Mertz" Vance even has a tiny role.  I love Wood's costumes.  Lemmon's character is just irritating.  The film goes on much too long.  I get bored of the film.  It was a good idea.  It just needed more time in the editing room and Lemmon maybe could have toned it down a bit.  After The Apartment, Lemmon's career seemed to go through a strange period.  With the exception of Days of Wine and Roses, Lemmon made a lot of forgettable films during the early 1960s.  He didn't seem to get back on track until The Fortune Cookie.  My absolute most loathed role of his though is that of the landlord in Under the Yum Yum Tree.  I hated that movie.

I haven't seen Bunny Lake is Missing.  Though, I really like the title. 

My actual 1965 list is:

1. DR. ZHIVAGO (I know, I know)

2. THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD

3. REPULSION

4. THE HILL

5. FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE

6. RED BEARD

7. JULIET OF THE SPIRITS

8. THE COLLECTOR

9. CAT BALLOU

10. A THOUSAND CLOWNS

Runner-ups: THE SHOP ON MAIN STREET, SWORD OF THE BEAST, THE LOVED ONE, SAMURAI ASSASSIN, and THE PAWNBROKER.

• Like 1

I still need to see SHADOWS OF FORGOTTEN ANCESTORS.

I need to see it again. It's certainly unique- a bit dazzling. Hard to rank beside others. The sweeping film style, use of color and music make it seem more like an art piece than a movie. It's all very beautifully done.

[...]I haven't seen Bunny Lake is Missing.  Though, I really like the title. 

It's one that hooks you in, and I know a lot of people like it, so I wouldn't discourage you. I think my dislike of it is very personal, just because I found it dissatisfying. It struck me just wrong, but depending on your perspective it might be a classic- who knows?

• Like 2

My actual 1965 list is:

1. DR. ZHIVAGO (I know, I know)

2. THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD

3. REPULSION

4. THE HILL

5. FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE

6. RED BEARD

7. JULIET OF THE SPIRITS

8. THE COLLECTOR

9. CAT BALLOU

10. A THOUSAND CLOWNS

Runner-ups: THE SHOP ON MAIN STREET, SWORD OF THE BEAST, THE LOVED ONE, SAMURAI ASSASSIN, and THE PAWNBROKER.

Go figure- every movie on your list that I didn't mention are ones I haven't seen. (Yeah, even Dr. Zhivago. I'm just all too keen to join the haters on that one.)

• Like 1

And glancing through the Wiki page of 1965 movie releases just now myself, of all the films I'm familiar with on that list, the following have been some of my favorites over these 50 years:

THE BEDFORD INCIDENT

THE CINCINNATI KID

THE FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX

THE HILL

THE ROUNDERS

THE SATAN BUG

And no, it's only coincidental that they all begin the word "The".  ;)

(...AND, spotting the title DR. GOLDFOOT AND THE BIKINI MACHINE on that list reminded me of the time my fellow 13 y/o friend and I were all set to go see that Vincent Price spy spoof UNTIL his mother decided with a title like THAT it would be "much too racy" for him to see, and so I went and saw it alone...boy, times have sure changed, haven't they?!) 

LOL

• Like 1

The Sound of Music

The Collector

That Darn Cat!

all three films made lots of money.  This month marks the release of That Darn Cat! 50 years ago.

1965_zpsvtd9br11.jpg

So why was 1965 the turning point in terms of classic films? (why not 1964 or 1966?)

Was '65 the year that the production code officially went away and was replaced with the current G, PG, R, etc system?

FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE SPACE MONSTER a.k.a. MARS INVADES PUERTO RICO

BAD GIRLS GO TO HELL

THE BEACH GIRLS AND THE MONSTER

BLOODY PIT OF HORROR

COLOR ME BLOOD RED

CURSE OF THE FLY

THE DEFILERS

THE EARTH DIES SCREAMING

FASTER, PUSSYCAT! KILL! KILL!

JESSE JAMES MEETS FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER

MONSTER A GO-GO!

MONSTERS CRASH THE PAJAMA PARTY

NIGHTMARE CASTLE

PLANET ON THE PROWL

SPACEFLIGHT IC-1

TERROR CREATURES FROM THE GRAVE

CURSE OF THE VOODOO

HARUM SCARUM

SPACE PROBE TAURUS

and of course DR. ZHIVAGO.

I don't know THE BRICK AND THE MIRROR.

I like this list better. I've seen more from this one than the other !

"FASTER, PUSSYCAT! KILL! KILL!KILL! ( surprised that got through the censor lol ) needs to be remade. But, where would you find women who look like that today ?? 

Russ Meyer, you are sorely missed.  Now that was real summer night at the drive in fun right there !

Was '65 the year that the production code officially went away and was replaced with the current G, PG, R, etc system?

No. Usually the year 1968 is attributed to the official end of the code.

And even though Maltin's guide goes to '65, when you look at the titles on the TCM database, they only have his reviews up through 1960.

The "best" is always personally subjective.

Our favorites from 50 years ago(1965) might be the better query----

Some of MY favorites might be one someone else thinks SUCKS, or maybe nobody's even HEARD of some of the ones(typically foreign films) listed by others.

MY list includes the following, and probably not ALL of them, and likely, due to my being 14 years old fifty years ago, and NOT spending a lot of time and money(which there wasn't a lot of) going to the show.

I probably, if I really strained my memory, could say I saw about a third of these at the theater.  But which ones would be near impossible to pinpoint!  A FEW maybe, but not ALL.

SHENANDOAH

THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

BABY THE RAIN MUST FALL

VON RYAN'S EXPRESS

HIGH WIND IN JAMAICA

BOEING BOEING

THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD

CAT BALLOU

THE NAKED PREY

THE ROUNDERS

HELP

HOW TO MURDER YOUR WIFE

THE CINCINNATTI KID

I know there's some missing, but for now......

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I like this list better. I've seen more from this one than the other !

"FASTER, PUSSYCAT! KILL! KILL!KILL! ( surprised that got through the censor lol ) needs to be remade. But, where would you find women who look like that today ?? 

Russ Meyer, you are sorely missed.  Now that was real summer night at the drive in fun right there !

Agree 100%.  I like this list a lot better.

1965 isn't a bad choice for the last year of the classic era, although I would use 1966, the last year that Oscars were given for black & white cinematography and black & white art direction. By the way, the late Haskell Wexler won the last Oscar for B&W cinematography, for WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?

My list for the 10 best of 1965 is limited to English-language films, with honorable mention to SIMON OF THE DESERT and RED BEARD in the foreign film category. I've included THE TRAIN as a 1965 film (year of Oscar eligibility and American release; shown in France in 1964, which is the date imdb shows for it).

Hm, everyone seems to have forgotten the best film of all:

1. KING RAT

2. THE HILL

3. THE TRAIN

4. MIRAGE

5. THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD

6. A PATCH OF BLUE

7. DARLING

8. THE PAWNBROKER

9. DOCTOR ZHIVAGO

10. OTHELLO

Honorable mention to THE FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX, THE COLLECTOR, REPULSION, and RETURN FROM THE ASHES.

All in all, a solid year. Interesting that my top eight choices and two of the honorable mentions are in black and white.

• Like 2

Top grossing films of 1965 (U.S.) From Wikipedia

1. The Sound of Music 

2. Doctor Zhivago 
3. Thunderball
4. Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines
5. That Darn Cat!
6. The Great Race
7. Cat Ballou
8. What's New Pussycat?
9. Shenandoah
10. Von Ryan's Express
11. The Greatest Story Ever Told
12. For a Few Dollars More
13. The Sandpiper
14. A Patch of Blue
15. The Sons of Katie Elder
16. Help!
17. How to Murder Your Wife
18. Darling
19. The Agony and the Ecstasy
20. Do Not Disturb
21. The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
22. Ship of Fools
23. The Collector
24. The Train

1965 isn't a bad choice for the last year of the classic era, although I would use 1966, the last year that Oscars were given for black & white cinematography and black & white art direction. By the way, the late Haskell Wexler won the last Oscar for B&W cinematography, for WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?

My list for the 10 best of 1965 is limited to English-language films, with honorable mention to SIMON OF THE DESERT and RED BEARD in the foreign film category. I've included THE TRAIN as a 1965 film (year of Oscar eligibility and American release; shown in France in 1964, which is the date imdb shows for it).

Hm, everyone seems to have forgotten the best film of all:

1. KING RAT

2. THE HILL

3. THE TRAIN

4. MIRAGE

5. THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD

6. A PATCH OF BLUE

7. DARLING

8. THE PAWNBROKER

9. DOCTOR ZHIVAGO

10. OTHELLO

Honorable mention to THE FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX, THE COLLECTOR, REPULSION, and RETURN FROM THE ASHES.

All in all, a solid year. Interesting that my top eight choices and two of the honorable mentions are in black and white.

King Rat tops my list for 1965 as well.

I will save the rest for the Top Ten Films of... thread in Your Favorites.

• Like 1