Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Did I hear the intro to "These Three" correctly?

bundie

I didn't hear her mention Walter Brennan, but I could swear she said the movie starred Miriam Hopkins, Merle Oberon, and Joseph Cotten. Unfortunately, I'm writing with a Wednesday deadline and was only halfway listening. Maybe somebody else out there heard it, too...?

Who was this host? Why was she chosen? I didn't see her intros, but she sure seems to have rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

Tiffany Vazquez, the winner of TCM's Ultimate Fan Contest, in April of 2014. She introduced THE NAKED CITY (1948) with Robert Osborne.

As well, during her intros this month, she has mentioned that she met many TCM personnel at the annual TCM film festivals. Tiffany said that she was grateful to have made these acquaintances which lead to the hosting duties for December's Girlfriend series.

Further, she mentioned that she has a M.A. in Cinema from a New York Uni.

So, I guess the brass figured that she was a good choice to host this series.

Her job performance thus far requires improvement!

Thank you to those who responded. At least I know I'm not nuts. Very unfortunate error, and I agree with the person who said that promo should have been previewed and corrected before they aired it.  Maybe she'll correct herself at the end...

I've only watched a couple of her introductions and I wasn't impressed. For such an ultimate fan, she didn't seem to have much enthusiasm for her subject matter. She reminds me of the nervous kid who has to give a speech in front of the class.

I'm not sure how she was deemed the ultimate fan, but I find her wholly lacking in any personality. Maybe I'm being too harsh though, seeing that she's not a professional.

• Like 3

During the intro, I heard her say Joseph Cotten also.  Then I got even more confused when, during the movie, I heard someone say Joseph Cardin (Joel McCrea's character's name).  It sounded just like Joseph Cotten to my ears.

Maybe she (or whoever wrote the intro) was confused?

I was disgusted with Joseph Cotton`s name mentioned instead of Joel McCrea. TCM needs to make a New Years resolution to proof read the tape before airing such a stupid mistake. Many of the loyal and imformative posters on this site would  not have made such a obvious error. Why not reward us with a chance to select a movie and cohost in the future. We are not dummies, and may not have a masters degree, but my fellow posters do know their movies.

• Like 3

Many of the loyal and imformative posters on this site would  not have made such a obvious error.

I realize you think that with all sincerity, but the reality is nervousness can cause all sorts of mistakes. I am very surprised TCM didn't allow her a "do-over".

Why not reward us with a chance to select a movie and cohost in the future.

Hearing the complaints on this board I can just imagine the reaction when seeing the pool of of movies available for "selection". 

Even though most posters here think it would be fun to be "in the chair" impressing everyone with their vast film knowledge, the reality is being on TV is not easy. There is scant little time to say ANYTHING of interest and after the lights go off you think of a thousand better things to say. 

Nothing is more boring than someone rattling off factoids and quoting charts. A guest needs to speak in complete sentences with an arc of points just like a movie script.

Judging from some of the writing on this board, there are fewer than 20 posters here with speaking skills good enough to come across well on television.

• Like 4

"During the intro, I heard her say Joseph Cotten also.  Then I got even more confused when, during the movie, I heard someone say Joseph Cardin (Joel McCrea's character's name).  It sounded just like Joseph Cotten to my ears.

Maybe she (or whoever wrote the intro) was confused?"

-------------------------------------------

Good point, CinemaFan!  I missed that.

I think this is the penultimate in TCM's new business model  --   "We can spend millions on self promotion but can't/won't hire decent talent to intro segments." She mispronounced several words (I think my favorite was her not knowing how to correctly pronounce "more" as in "the mores of the day" but the Joseph Cotten error was unbelievable.  Also, she is about as natural as a robot  --  just when I think things can't get any worse on TCM, they top themselves!

I was recently watching a series of movies I had taped from a couple of years ago and (gasp!) noticed how, instead of every break between movies being filled with promos for festivals, cruises, wine clubs, tours, dvds and books --  along with the "News of the Month" which no longer has any "news" but has simply become still another place to shill TCM products  -- there were shorts, original promos for films, etc.  --  you know, actual movie related content!

Lydecker

• Like 7

Yes, the error the host made by including Joseph Cotton in the cast is really inexcuseable. It unfortunately tarnishes TCM, as there obviously was no editing of her intro. There is no way that Robert Osborne would have ever made this mistake.

I dunno if I'd bet the house on that these days, but I still love him to pieces.

• Like 1

Yes, you heard her correctly. Only, she is not correct. The male lead in the film is Joel McCrea. Joseph Cotten is not in this movie. Doesn't TCM preview these intros before they are shown? And that is Walter Brennan and she didn't mention him.

Joel McCrea and Joseph Cotton have been confused by many people. The trick is to name one.

I think this is the penultimate in TCM's new business model  --   "We can spend millions on self promotion but can't/won't hire decent talent to intro segments." She mispronounced several words (I think my favorite was her not knowing how to correctly pronounce "more" as in "the mores of the day" but the Joseph Cotten error was unbelievable.  Also, she is about as natural as a robot  --  just when I think things can't get any worse on TCM, they top themselves!

I was recently watching a series of movies I had taped from a couple of years ago and (gasp!) noticed how, instead of every break between movies being filled with promos for festivals, cruises, wine clubs, tours, dvds and books --  along with the "News of the Month" which no longer has any "news" but has simply become still another place to shill TCM products  -- there were shorts, original promos for films, etc.  --  you know, actual movie related content!

Lydecker

In a later job I held at a major publishing company, I was surprised at the jump they took at monetizing every last morsel of product.  It was different in the sense that they were inventing new ways to stuff more advertising in, that hadn't previously existed or hadn't even been considered just a couple years before.  The end product was clumsy, had junk falling out in every direction, and difficult to read.  More a sign of the times than anything else.

• Like 1

Many of the loyal and imformative posters on this site would  not have made such a obvious error.

I realize you think that with all sincerity, but the reality is nervousness can cause all sorts of mistakes. I am very surprised TCM didn't allow her a "do-over".

Why not reward us with a chance to select a movie and cohost in the future.

Hearing the complaints on this board I can just imagine the reaction when seeing the pool of of movies available for "selection". 

Even though most posters here think it would be fun to be "in the chair" impressing everyone with their vast film knowledge, the reality is being on TV is not easy. There is scant little time to say ANYTHING of interest and after the lights go off you think of a thousand better things to say. 

Nothing is more boring than someone rattling off factoids and quoting charts. A guest needs to speak in complete sentences with an arc of points just like a movie script.

Judging from some of the writing on this board, there are fewer than 20 posters here with speaking skills good enough to come across well on television.

You make some valid points and saying the name of the character instead of the actor (or confusing the characters name with another actor) is a mistake we might all make when those bright light are on and someone says 'rolling'.  

But not understanding why the film didn't represent the actual sexual issue as portrayed in the play is, well, just like of lame; i.e. a complete lack of understanding of the times and the Production code.   Even an amateur should know better.  

• Like 4

I'm somewhat loath to criticize this young girl because she's just that: a very young girl, according to her intro on the first night she said "you may know me from the Classic Film Festival" which was...an odd thing to say.

She's young, she's enthusiastic, it's a big chance for her and I'm sure nerves are a factor, she doesn't have any kind of experience doing this sort of thing, which is a viable excuse (and one not applicable in the least to some others who've fumbled hosting duties whose hamfisted and clumsy introes are a little hard to take since they've either had professional training or 10+ years of experience doing this.)

so, i'm not saying what some of you are saying is off, i'm just saying; remember this girl maybe 16(?) and only those of us who had our you-know-what completely together and wouldn't be overwhelmed by this opportunity at that (or any) age are welcome to throw stones.

• Like 5

Yes, the error the host made by including Joseph Cotton in the cast is really inexcuseable. It unfortunately tarnishes TCM, as there obviously was no editing of her intro. There is no way that Robert Osborne would have ever made this mistake.

Yes, she said Joseph Cotten!

As well, her discourse on 'the times' and not getting why the Director chose to interpret the lesbian relationship as he did just blew me away...for someone with a Masters in Cinema...dim wit...

Young skulls full of mush, as stated by John Houseman's character in The Paper Chase (1973).

• Like 3

I'm somewhat loath to criticize this young girl because she's just that: a very young girl, according to her intro on the first night she said "you may know me from the Classic Film Festival" which was...an odd thing to say.

She's young, she's enthusiastic, it's a big chance for her and I'm sure nerves are a factor, she doesn't have any kind of experience doing this sort of thing, which is a viable excuse (and one not applicable in the least to some others who've fumbled hosting duties whose hamfisted and clumsy introes are a little hard to take since they've either had professional training or 10+ years of experience doing this.)

so, i'm not saying what some of you are saying is off, i'm just saying; remember this girl maybe 16(?) and only those of us who had our you-know-what completely together and wouldn't be overwhelmed by this opportunity at that (or any) age are welcome to throw stones.

I'm with you up to the point where you say she is 16.  She has (or is working on)  a Masters in Film.  But some of these things can't be taught, they just need to be learned on the job.

I thought she was at least a film school student at the university level last year, which would most likely make her a bit older than 16. And some are acting as if she were doing these intros live and unscripted. They are pre-taped, and cue cards/teleprompters are used. So, one, they should have retaped the misspoken name segment, and maybe a stronger editorial hand was needed with the wording on her script, which she probably only had a hand in writing, if at all.

• Like 1