Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
lzcutter

Most Influential 20th Century Director

I think cartoons in general influence some movies even today, but it's impossible to point out which one of those guys mentioned directly influenced them, so I'd say all of them. I see these comedies some brought up being influenced more by Mack Sennett, Hal Roach, Arbuckle, Chaplin, Olson and Johnson, The Three Stooges, The Marx Brothers, etc., than cartoons. These movies were the influence for Avery, Clampett, Jones, etc. since live action slapstick comedy came before these cartoons. So movies that draw on their cartoons for inspiration, are drawing on their predecessors' influence, even if by proxy.

Thanks for pointing that out, Matthelm. The live action slapstick of the silents did come first. Avery Clampett and Jones probably grew up watching those every Saturday and then incorporated what they learned into cartoons for a new generation, which have survived the years better than silents.

I've said this before, but the folks who made cartoons for Nickleodeon and the Tiny Toon Adventures in the 1990's got it, I think.

Urgh. Adam Sandler. I am ashamed to say that my son loves him. He made me watch "Little Nicky" one day and I wasn't amused, I was disgusted. There was a scene where Adolph Hitler was in Hell and had to wear a French Maid suit and be sodomized (implied) by a big scary guy. How is that funny?

tracey65k,

One half hour ago, I had an "urgh" moment. I could not 'place' the name "Rob Schneider". So, I 'popped' over to IMDB, searched and pulled up the "Rob Schneider" page. Some IMDB contributer had to place a picture of the creepy SNL guy in the "Rob Schneider" photo box. Thirty minutes to clean the 'stuff' off my computer keyboard after a glance at Schneider's photo box photo.

Damn that Rob Schneider!

Rusty

Again with the uncontrollable bodily fluids. Keep it up and we're going to have to put you in a home. Maybe the Fan Wing at the Motion Picture & Television Country House.

MattHelm,

My Rob Zombie:

--Errol Flynn's "cut open groin to navel" anecdote (Flynn's auto-biography).

--Memory of watching "Exorcist II: The Heretic" (another thread).

--Prospect of watching "Seed of Chucky " (another thread).

--Brief look-see at Rob Schneider's photo (IMDB).

--Mix.

Easy to 'digest' my "Rob" mess? Here's the kicker:

--Float 151 memories, SNL alumni, feature film, "comedies".

'Throw down' my cocktail and prepare to "do the Lupe".

Rusty

'Throw down' my cocktail and prepare to "do the Lupe"

No, not The Lupe!!!

I was surprised that no one else got the theme for my Friday schedule from the programming challenge. I thought it was obvious. Hollywood Suicides.

No, not The Lupe!!!

I was surprised that no one else got the theme for my Friday schedule from the programming challenge. I thought it was obvious. Hollywood Suicides.

No, not The Lupe!!!

I'm surprised that no one else got my Friday theme on my TCM program challenge. Hollywood Suicides.

No, not The Lupe!!!

I'm surprised that no one else got my Friday theme on my TCM program challenge. Hollywood Suicides.

No, not The Lupe!!!

No, not The Lupe!!!

The two most influential directors of the 20th Century can, I think, be split between the first and second half: Orson Welles and Jean-Luc Godard. In the firsat half, Welles, obviously, because in one great film he showed all that could be done with the medium, and Godard because he smashed cinema to pieces. There is precious little in terms of modern movies -- either in the use of hand-held camera or disjointed editing or in the way both filmmakers and audiences are so intensely aware of film as an illusion -- that doesn't in some way look back to Godard. I'm not saying his films (many of which are unendurable) are the best films but, like Welles, he introduced a new way of seeing and showed generations of filmmakers what you can do with images. Who else inspired them to push the medium as far as possible?

Who else inspired them to push the medium as far as possible? >>

If you're referring to Wells and Godard, it was John Ford.

Actually I meant who inspired filmmakers in the latter half of the 20th Century to push the medium as far as possible, and I meant Godard.

Movieman -

I don't "get" them either, but someone must. And, unfortunately, the ones I do get don't sell tickets.

It has nothing to do with age; it has to do with growth and learning and life experience and intelligence and wisdom and the pursuit of excellence.

"Some people can thrive and bloom,

living life in a living room.

Some people sit on their butts,

got the dream, ya,

but not the guts.

IMHO

MattHelm,

Quote:

"I had a problem with my scissors."

Darn. I thought you were laughing and hitting the "post message" button.

Lauging and hitting...laughing and hitting...oh, you know.

BTW: I did the same thing a couple of weeks back. Hitting "post message", did you get some sort of error (error 'trap' display on screen)?

Rusty

BTW: I did the same thing a couple of weeks back. Hitting "post message", did you get some sort of error (error 'trap' display on screen)?

Yeah, I kept getting caught in the error trap, and got this sort of HTML code popping up. Philistines!