Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tonight's Introduction Pre-Judges 'Current' Moral Norms

The young woman doing tonight's film introduction is from a film school belonging to a southern California university. She stated, "As incredible as it may seem today, pre-marital sex was considered abnormal in the 1930's." I am paraphrasing here, but I have captured the essence of her message on TCM tonight. Well I'm sorry, but there are many of us who are fans of TCM and who very much subscribe to such 'incredible' morality with regard to pre-marital sex...1930's style, or otherwise. This young woman presumes to speak for society at large, apparently. By so doing, she is displaying a kind of naivete of her own, I would say.       

She also stated that she was thankful that TCM chose her to represent the TCM viewer for this month's series on Girlfriends. I take umbrage with her notion that she represents my viewpoint!

She has been getting a bit too much into the cheese and wine club...several of her remarks are way off base.

She stated, "As incredible as it may seem today, pre-marital sex was considered abnormal in the 1930's." I am paraphrasing here, but I have captured the essence of her message on TCM tonight. Well I'm sorry, but there are many of us who are fans of TCM and who very much subscribe to such 'incredible' morality with regard to pre-marital sex...1930's style, or otherwise.

I think what she meant is, that premarital sex was not widely accepted in our cultures past as it is today. Not "abnormal" but "unacceptable".

Nowadays sex outside of marriage is commonplace and more widely accepted in our society.

Give the guest a break, she was on the spot and obviously chose a substandard word for her point.

• Like 4

The young woman doing tonight's film introduction is from a film school belonging to a southern California university. She stated, "As incredible as it may seem today, pre-marital sex was considered abnormal in the 1930's." I am paraphrasing here, but I have captured the essence of her message on TCM tonight. Well I'm sorry, but there are many of us who are fans of TCM and who very much subscribe to such 'incredible' morality with regard to pre-marital sex...1930's style, or otherwise. This young woman presumes to speak for society at large, apparently. By so doing, she is displaying a kind of naivete of her own, I would say.       

Pre-marital sex is the norm today and was practice by many folks back in the day,  even if movies couldn't show such a thing.

The women wasn't speaking for society at large but instead that Production Code movies were unrealistic and phony when it came to sexual issues.     Hey,  is another thing you may not have known;  there were gay people in the 30s as well!    

• Like 1