Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Celia Johnson

kaleman

I believe Carmen Miranda and Tyrone Power died working on set, Tyrones father also died that way too, thats very sad. I've got a book about Celia Johnson, check her out in A KID FOR TWO FARTHINGS, she only has a supporting role but the movie is an absolute gem.

kaleman,

Celia Johnson was a wonderful actress. I was looking forward to watching her in the movie "This Happy Breed". I have the movie recorded and will watch the thing in the next couple of days.

If you have not already watched the movie "In Which We Serve", take the time to 'check it out' next TCM broadcast. Celia Johnson has one moment in the film (she makes a 'toast' at a Christmas dinner) that made me 'misty eyed'. Two times, I have seen "In Which We Serve". Two times, I have gotten all emotionally 'twisted up' during the Celia Johnson 'toast'. Note that I am not a person to get emotional about such things (movie stuff)--except, of course, Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams".

Rusty

Actually Carmen Miranda (1909-1955) didn't die on a set, but she did have a heart attack on camera while filming a segment for Jimmy Durante's TV show on the day before she died. You can see the clip on the wonderful documentary about her, "Bananas Is My Business" (1995). Miranda's knees seem to buckle under her for a moment while she's dancing with Durante. She stumbles, then recovers and finishes the number by dancing off screen. The next morning she was found dead at home, lying on the floor of her bathroom.

Midge

Archived