Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

the mad scrounger presses on

NipkowDisc

one of the last great items I came across in my local trash area was a crown royal canadian whisky limited reserve wooden box with a metal latch and beautiful blue velvet lining inside. goes for 40 or 50 dollars on ebay. then a few weeks ago right before xmas found a small wooden chest also with a metal latch. it's shaped like a half-circle and the outside has leather straps and metal buckles, brings to mind the treasure chests in old pirate movies.

then this morning another reason to regard this trash area as my local free electronics depot of sorts. what some people will discard. in a paper bag was a cd/cassette/am-fm radio stereo boombox. an aiwa csd-ex111u to be specific. on the bottom says made in december 1996 so it be 19-years old. not perfect condition of course. the fm telescopic antenna is broken off but the radio still works pretty good and the cassette mechanism plays perfectly. the cd player has some wear and didn't play at all at first. did that stop the mad scrounger? ha! putting some back and forth movement on the laser lens with my finger got it to play. played pretty good once I got it goin'.
well, that's the dope on my newest acquisition.

:)

1wysh.jpg

• Like 2

one of the last great items I came across in my local trash area was a crown royal canadian whisky limited reserve wooden box with a metal latch and beautiful blue velvet lining inside. goes for 40 or 50 dollars on ebay. then a few weeks ago right before xmas found a small wooden chest also with a metal latch. it's shaped like a half-circle and the outside has leather straps and metal buckles, brings to mind the treasure chests in old pirate movies.

then this morning another reason to regard this trash area as my local free electronics depot of sorts. what some people will discard. in a paper bag was a cd/cassette/am-fm radio stereo boombox. an aiwa csd-ex111u to be specific. on the bottom says made in december 1996 so it be 19-years old. not perfect condition of course. the fm telescopic antenna is broken off but the radio still works pretty good and the cassette mechanism plays perfectly. the cd player has some wear and didn't play at all at first. did that stop the mad scrounger? ha! putting some back and forth movement on the laser lens with my finger got it to play. played pretty good once I got it goin'.

well, that's the dope on my newest acquisition.

:)

1wysh.jpg

to review my past electronics grabs, also from my depot a philips 60 watts cd stereo mini syatem with 3-disc changer with two vintage classic realistic minimus 7 die-cast aluminum speakers in tow. also a memorex cd stereo boombox too and now this nifty aiwa. the fm antenna be missing and the cd track led readout doan work right. only goes up to 9 then back to 0 and then 1 so you gotta count on your own after that.

but whatta I care? it plays! :D

I think the sound is better than the memorex. the speakers fire at an angle which gives an ambience to the stereo separation.

not bad for somethin' nineteen years old huh?

remember people, scrounge! you just might grab a nice goodie for free! :D

• Like 1

Several years ago, I found an AM/FM radio with cassette player just tossed into the dumpster and to my surprised it still looked new, needed only minor cleaning. No scratches or blemishes at all. Guess it's no longer trendy.

Similar to this one.  Use it to listen to FM where I work.

190ra13v1eflxjpg.jpg

• Like 2

Several years ago, I found an AM/FM radio with cassette player just tossed into the dumpster and to my surprised it still looked new, needed only minor cleaning. No scratches or blemishes at all. Guess it's no longer trendy.

Similar to this one.  Use it to listen to FM where I work.

190ra13v1eflxjpg.jpg

nice grundig ghettoblaster. :)