Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cary Grant and Frank Sinatra not charming

NipkowDisc

two films I've watched in the last few days on tcm. the other nite watched cary grant and deborah kerr in 'an affair to remember'. so somebody thought cary grant could do rosanno brazzi? didn't come off if you ask me. cary is always this charming gentleman but onboard ship he was downright rude to the venerable Charles Watts. one of my favorite unsung character actors. watts nicely asked cary to join him and his wife and he just snubs the poor guy. some rude debonair cary is in this.

and he's supposed to be italian? another thing, you got italian cary visiting his mother's beautiful home in naples. deborah loves it. so why is he living as an impoverished painter in nyc? I guess the lady he was gonna marry on tv took a powder. and what's richard denning being wasted in this for? and deborah kerr? seriously, I thought her acting was atrocious. she didn't come across to me as lady-like or charming at all.

then last nite watched frankie in some came running. plays a vet who drops by his hometown. to do what? write or find fault with his brother arthur kennedy? starts off depositing money in the bank directly across from the one his brother works at. nice. what exactly is frankie's problem? he blames his brother for his last bad relationship with a girl?
what's he hangin' around for? just to play poker in the back room with dino? when he calls on the professor and his daughter martha hyer, I just plain went to bed at that juncture. already seen the film's ending what with a dipsy shirley macclaine committing suicide? was that it? doan matter. frankie was irritating. :)

As much as I love Cary Grant  & Deborah Kerr, I have to agree with you. I like the original much better,

("Love Affair" with Irene Dunne & Charles Boyer).

As for "Some Came Running", Sinatra said he stopped by his home town cause he happened to mention to some of his army buddies where he lived, so he went there in case they came to see him. There was bad blood btwn him & his brother from when he was younger. His parents apparently died or something and his brother sent him to a home instead of letting him live with him and his wife, so Sinatra held that against him for all those years. He ended up hanging around cause he fell in love with Martha. And Shirley did not commit suicide, she was running from the guy & I think she was actually trying to protect Frank. 

• Like 2

As much as I love Cary Grant  & Deborah Kerr, I have to agree with you. I like the original much better,

("Love Affair" with Irene Dunne & Charles Boyer).

As for "Some Came Running", Sinatra said he stopped by his home town cause he happened to mention to some of his army buddies where he lived, so he went there in case they came to see him. There was bad blood btwn him & his brother from when he was younger. His parents apparently died or something and his brother sent him to a home instead of letting him live with him and his wife, so Sinatra held that against him for all those years. He ended up hanging around cause he fell in love with Martha. And Shirley did not commit suicide, she was running from the guy & I think she was actually trying to protect Frank. 

I enjoyed SOME CAME RUNNING, and I liked the location shooting in Madison, IN. on the Ohio River. Normally I do not care for Dean Martin, but he was very good as Bama Dillard. Frank grew bored with shooting in the small town, and Vincente Minnelli took his time in shooting. When he wanted to move the ferris wheel a few feet away, Frank blew up. He tore twenty pages from the script, and instead of his dying, Shirley MacLaine was given that sendoff. Besides her earlier acting and the death scene, Shirley was nominated for her first Academy Award.

• Like 2

two films I've watched in the last few days on tcm. the other nite watched cary grant and deborah kerr in 'an affair to remember'. so somebody thought cary grant could do rosanno brazzi? didn't come off if you ask me. cary is always this charming gentleman but onboard ship he was downright rude to the venerable Charles Watts. one of my favorite unsung character actors. watts nicely asked cary to join him and his wife and he just snubs the poor guy. some rude debonair cary is in this.

and he's supposed to be italian? another thing, you got italian cary visiting his mother's beautiful home in naples. deborah loves it. so why is he living as an impoverished painter in nyc? I guess the lady he was gonna marry on tv took a powder. and what's richard denning being wasted in this for? and deborah kerr? seriously, I thought her acting was atrocious. she didn't come across to me as lady-like or charming at all.

then last nite watched frankie in some came running. plays a vet who drops by his hometown. to do what? write or find fault with his brother arthur kennedy? starts off depositing money in the bank directly across from the one his brother works at. nice. what exactly is frankie's problem? he blames his brother for his last bad relationship with a girl?

what's he hangin' around for? just to play poker in the back room with dino? when he calls on the professor and his daughter martha hyer, I just plain went to bed at that juncture. already seen the film's ending what with a dipsy shirley macclaine committing suicide? was that it? doan matter. frankie was irritating. :)

Cary and Deborah visited his FRENCH GRANDMOTHER not his Italian mother. It was the French Riviera not Naples. Didn't you hear them speaking and singing in FRENCH not ITALIAN? 

Shirley certainly DID NOT commit suicide in Some Came Running. She was shot, the bullet was intended for Frank but she was shot instead. So all in all, maybe consider watching the films in full before all the inaccurate statements about them.

• Like 6

I enjoyed SOME CAME RUNNING, and I liked the location shooting in Madison, IN. on the Ohio River. Normally I do not care for Dean Martin, but he was very good as Bama Dillard. Frank grew bored with shooting in the small town, and Vincente Minnelli took his time in shooting. When he wanted to move the ferris wheel a few feet away, Frank blew up. He tore twenty pages from the script, and instead of his dying, Shirley MacLaine was given that sendoff. Besides her earlier acting and the death scene, Shirley was nominated for her first Academy Award.

Originally, the character he plays in YOUNG AT HEART was supposed to die, but that ending was changed, too. Did he ever play an on-screen death? I don't think it was something he was interested in doing.

SPOILERS

TopBilled--"Von Ryan's Express" (1965)--Sinatra is killed--he's implied to be killed in "The Devil at Four O'Clock" (1961).

Thanks. I had forgotten about VON RYAN'S EXPRESS. I don't think I've seen THE DEVIL AT FOUR O'CLOCK all the way to the end.

• Like 1

Cary and Deborah visited his FRENCH GRANDMOTHER not his Italian mother. It was the French Riviera not Naples. Didn't you hear them speaking and singing in FRENCH not ITALIAN? 

Shirley certainly DID NOT commit suicide in Some Came Running. She was shot, the bullet was intended for Frank but she was shot instead. So all in all, maybe consider watching the films in full before all the inaccurate statements about them.

I thought Frank was great in Some Came Running.  I liked his character.  A man who returns to his hometown after sixteen years and whose lifestyle does not mesh well with that of his brother's.  His brother has worked hard to attain a higher social status within the community and doesn't want down and out brother threatening that.  He fixes him up with a respectable woman with whom Frank does fall in love.  Shirley MacLaine's character, a "loose woman," so to speak, also charms Frank, but her lifestyle isn't suitable for the upper crust that Frank's brother so desperately wants him to join.

The end scene of Frank and Shirley at the carnival with Shirley's former boyfriend stalking them is one of the best scenes in the film.  Frank realizes that he loves Shirley and she demonstrates her love back by talking the fatal bullet for him.  This scene, I believe is one of the best scenes in Frank's career.  Second of course, to his major death scene in From Here to Eternity

• Like 4

The end scene of Frank and Shirley at the carnival with Shirley's former boyfriend stalking them is one of the best scenes in the film.  Frank realizes that he loves Shirley and she demonstrates her love back by talking the fatal bullet for him.  This scene, I believe is one of the best scenes in Frank's career.  Second of course, to his major death scene in From Here to Eternity

Yes, I was waiting for someone to mention From Here to Eternity. And he would have died in Suddenly if Nancy Gates had been a better shot.

• Like 5

Originally, the character he plays in YOUNG AT HEART was supposed to die, but that ending was changed, too. Did he ever play an on-screen death? I don't think it was something he was interested in doing.

Frank had died two times in a row FROM HERE TO ETERNITY and SUDDENLY. He didn`t want to go out the same way in YOUNG AT HEART consequently the ending was changed. Some fans do not like the change since John Garfield died in FOUR DAUGHTERS which YOUNG AT HEART is a remake of. The finale was was fine with me. When Frank is sitting at the piano finally having given his song a head and feet, the moment is lovely. The song is YOU MY LOVE by Jimmy VanHuesen and Mack Gordon. The gaze that Doris gives Frank while they are singing this song shows how much they love each other.

• Like 1

Frank had died two times in a row FROM HERE TO ETERNITY and SUDDENLY. He didn`t want to go out the same way in YOUNG AT HEART consequently the ending was changed. Some fans do not like the change since John Garfield died in FOUR DAUGHTERS which YOUNG AT HEART is a remake of. The finale was was fine with me. When Frank is sitting at the piano finally having given his song a head and feet, the moment is lovely. The song is YOU MY LOVE by Jimmy VanHuesen and Mack Gordon. The gaze that Doris gives Frank while they are singing this song shows how much they love each other.

I completely agree with you on this. The ending for YOUNG AT HEART is sentimental and sweet. It works for me. In fact, I like the remake as a whole better than the original anyway!

• Like 1

SPOILERS

TopBilled--"Von Ryan's Express" (1965)--Sinatra is killed--he's implied to be killed in "The Devil at Four O'Clock" (1961).

I haven`t watched VON RYAN`S EXPRESS yet, but I know that it was on the set of this movie at the 20th Century Fox movie lot, that Mia Farrow first met Frank. Mia couldn`t have been all negative for Frank. His specials A MAN AND HIS MUSIC Part 1&2 were made while they were together. The special that I like the least FRANCIS ALBERT SINATRA DOES HIS THING was shown with the dress rehearsal. When Frank went off the set, he found out that the divorce from Mia was finalized. He told the producer that he couldn`t do the show again hence the dress rehearsal was shown. Frank and Mia remained friends.

• Like 2

Frank had died two times in a row FROM HERE TO ETERNITY and SUDDENLY.

Upon viewing the ending of Suddenly again, I have to say it is not clear if Sinatra lives or dies. He takes two shots at close range (one from Gates, one from Hayden) and crumples to the floor ... but he does appear to be moving as the scene fades. I always felt that meant he survived, probably to face execution.

I completely agree with you on this. The ending for YOUNG AT HEART is sentimental and sweet. It works for me. In fact, I like the remake as a whole better than the original anyway!

Thanks TB. Now we know three fans who like YOUNG AT HEART, you, me, and Susan Dall from Movieblocks. No matter how many times I have read that Doris and Frank have no chemistry and are acting in different styles, I do not agree. Doris and Frank were singing at their peak, and he is wholly convincing as Barney Sloan. Yes, he threw Doris`s husband Marty Melcher off the lot, and the original cinematographer was replaced due to Frank`s request. He was working too slowly setting up the shots. Marty was no loss, Frank started his relationship with director Gordon Douglas on this film. He also gave Ethel Barrymore a surprise 75th birthday party during production.

• Like 2

Thanks TB. Now we know three fans who like YOUNG AT HEART, you, me, and Susan Dall from Movieblocks. No matter how many times I have read that Doris and Frank have no chemistry and are acting in different styles, I do not agree. Doris and Frank were singing at their peak, and he is wholly convincing as Barney Sloan. Yes, he threw Doris`s husband Marty Melcher off the lot, and the original cinematographer was replaced due to Frank`s request. He was working too slowly setting up the shots. Marty was no loss, Frank started his relationship with director Gordon Douglas on this film. He also gave Ethel Barrymore a surprise 75th birthday party during production.

Ethel's performance in this film is one of the reasons I like it better than the original. And I've always been a Dorothy Malone fan.

From what I have read, Doris and Frank were friends-- even if Frank and Marty were not! LOL :)

• Like 1

Do you mean Charlie Watts from the Stones?

Ethel's performance in this film is one of the reasons I like it better than the original. And I've always been a Dorothy Malone fan.

From what I have read, Doris and Frank were friends-- even if Frank and Marty were not! LOL :)

I have always liked Dorothy Malone. She was a brunette in THE BIG SLEEP, and also in PUSHOVER which TCM will show during Fred MacMurray`s tribute.Kim Novak has her first important role, and Harry Cohn did not want another blonde as a costar. Dorothy looks better as a blonde, and henceforth I only remember her as a blonde. She was the main reason that I watched PEYTON PLACE the TV series. I thought that her portrayal of Constance McKenzie was spot on. Doris and Frank both remembered Elisabeth Fraser her sister Amy in YOUNG AT HEART. Elisabeth was in TUNNEL OF LOVE, and she had a part in TONY ROME.Besides that Frank sings in the movie, I do not mind the other songs that Doris sings. The best part of FOUR DAUGHTERS was John Garfield, Claude Rains, and Priscilla Lane. She was the prettiness, and the best actor of the three sisters. 

Thanks. I had forgotten about VON RYAN'S EXPRESS. I don't think I've seen THE DEVIL AT FOUR O'CLOCK all the way to the end.

TopBilled,

I guess you also forgot the oft repeated FROM HERE TO ETERNITY (1953). Frank's Maggio character was beaten to death by Ernie Borgnine.  If something like that was forgotten maybe it hasn't been repeated enough??????   

• Like 5

TopBilled,

I guess you also forgot the oft repeated FROM HERE TO ETERNITY (1953). Frank's Maggio character was beaten to death by Ernie Borgnine.  If something like that was forgotten maybe it hasn't been repeated enough??????   

Probably the opposite...it's been repeated so often, I have tried to block key details from my memory..and apparently have succeeded in doing so! :)

I have always liked Dorothy Malone. She was a brunette in THE BIG SLEEP, and also in PUSHOVER which TCM will show during Fred MacMurray`s tribute.Kim Novak has her first important role, and Harry Cohn did not want another blonde as a costar. Dorothy looks better as a blonde, and henceforth I only remember her as a blonde. She was the main reason that I watched PEYTON PLACE the TV series. I thought that her portrayal of Constance McKenzie was spot on. Doris and Frank both remembered Elisabeth Fraser her sister Amy in YOUNG AT HEART. Elisabeth was in TUNNEL OF LOVE, and she had a part in TONY ROME.Besides that Frank sings in the movie, I do not mind the other songs that Doris sings. The best part of FOUR DAUGHTERS was John Garfield, Claude Rains, and Priscilla Lane. She was the prettiness, and the best actor of the three sisters. 

I don't mind Malone as a brunette in a black-and-white film. I don't know if I have ever seen her as a brunette in a Technicolor feature. And yes, she was wonderful on the TV series version of Peyton Place. Barbara Rush replaced her in the final season, but it just wasn't the same. Malone did reprise her role in the made-for-TV movies that were filmed in the 70s and 80s. 

As for PUSHOVER, it is a great noir, and I'm glad TCM is airing it this month.

• Like 1

Malone was a brunette in Warners' SOUTH OF ST. LOUIS, a Technicolor western.

Thanks Ray. TCM has never aired it, and I don't think it's ever been made available on home video (unless I am mistaken). I'd love to see it!

By the way, though she earned an Oscar for a Douglas Sirk melodrama, and gained greater fame in the TV soap Peyton Place, I read that Dorothy Malone said she was more proud of her work in westerns. She said she always felt at home on the set of a western and those were the stories she enjoyed performing most.

• Like 1

Do you mean Charlie Watts from the Stones?

no, veteran actor Charles Watts who was good at playing stuffy politicians.

he was atlas suspenders salesman O.W. Schultz in The Spirit of St. Louis.

"we hold up the pants of the middle west."

:D

71jk1l.jpg