Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

will tcm remember wayne rogers?

NipkowDisc

Hey, maybe they'll show 'Pocket Money' (1972) in his honor.

Or maybe even 'WUSA' (1970).

He was a fool to give up his role on 'MASH'. Him and Stevenson both. Very, very foolish.

yeah, maybe if the two of them had stayed on they coulda helped curb some of loretta swit's feminist tendencies torwards reshaping her character which make some of the post-larry linville eps unwatchable. :)

yeah, maybe if the two of them had stayed on they coulda helped curb some of loretta swit's feminist tendencies torwards reshaping her character which make some of the post-larry linville eps unwatchable. :)

What do you have against women?

• Like 2

That leaves Nipkow out. He's never left his apartment.

Yeah, and besides, EVERYONE(other than ND, evidently) knows that M*A*S*H actually became BETTER after Larry Linville's silly one-dimensional Frank Burns character was replaced by David Ogden Stiers' more fully fleshed-out Charles Winchester character, and then subsequently in turn also allowing Loretta Swit's Margaret Houilhan character to become more fully realized.

(...am I RIGHT or what here, folk?!!!)

• Like 2

This must be the usual annual "So and so died in late December and TCM should recut their remembrance just for them" thread.

Similar to the "We can only name 12 players to the all star game so let's make a big deal about number 13" or the "Five movies get nominated for an award so let's cry about number six".

I don't remember Rogers doing anything of note frankly. He left MASH so that's on him. He tried a reboot of "I dream of jeannie" but, he could wear Larry Hagman's space suit.

Hundreds of Hollywood people pass away each year. I'd rather watch who did make the tribute. And better yet, focus on those who are still here.

• Like 1

Yeah, and besides, EVERYONE(other than ND, evidently) knows that M*A*S*H actually became BETTER after Larry Linville's silly one-dimensional Frank Burns character was replaced by David Ogden Stiers' more fully fleshed-out Charles Winchester character, and then subsequently in turn also allowing Loretta Swit's Margaret Houilhan character to become more fully realized.

(...am I RIGHT or what here, folk?!!!)

We stopped watching M*A*S*H when it became the Alan Alda show.  Wayne Rogers had a good series, City of Angels, on TV, but it did not last long.  He played a PI in 1930's LA.

• Like 2

who has died of complications of pneumonia. he should be included in 'in memoriam' as he appeared in motion pictures such as odds against tomorrow and cool hand luke.

Sorry to hear about his passing.  I've only known him as the Trapper John character in the MASH TV sitcom.  Great companion with Alan Alda.

RIP

0aab1aa.jpg

He was honored with a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

wayne-rogers.png?w=623

What do you have against women?

when loretta swit's character became feminized she became overbearing and completely unlikable. maybe swit thought it would come across as funny to the television audience but imo it did not. larry linville's frank burns was a rat but the character was funny. comedic villains usually are. and the overly serious dramatic turn the series took in the later seasons after the departure of maclean stevenson and wayne rogers. even today the post-stevenson, rogers, linville eps do not mesh well with the show's first four seasons.

frank burns was a rat (obviously meant by series developer larry gelbart to be a conservative villain to the heroic humanitarian healers hawkeye and trapper john) the first seasons everything is played for laughs. then they kill off col. blake and the show's long descent into being overly serious about everything begins. hot lips becomes a raging feminist and the laughs are moderated and finally gone. but even in those later seasons, there are a few priceless laughs. the one ep where hawkeye and bee jay try to outprank each other. there's this one scene where margaret lies down on her cot. then a door slowly begins to open and this dummy private mannequin with a lustful sneer drawn on it's face plops right down on top of her. her worst nightmare? it's hilarious. :lol:

my favorite eps from the later seasons with david ogden stiers and mike farrell are the B.O. episode where bee jay and hawkeye stop bathing to protest charles's french horn. and the other ep is the bathtub episode with bee jay and hawkeye getting a folding bathtub during the height of the korean summer season. klinger tries to reduce himself in a rubber suit for 24 hrs. with potter's promise to give him a section 8 discharge. at the end of that ep a sweaty klinger jumps into the bathtub with margaret in it. :lol:

everything else in the later seasons is just not very funny. :)

everything else in the later seasons is just not very funny. :)

I don't think the later seasons were meant to be uproariously funny. The show was sort of a comedy drama at that point. Personally, I think the best episodes are the ones from the last three seasons (which coincidentally occur after Radar has left). And the final season is my favourite one overall. 

obviously I have far more depth and insight into the m*a*s*h series probably watching far more than anyone else posting here.

something that probably has never been brought up in any retrospective of the series that has been aired...

yeah, frank burns was an sob but just how well-received do the makers of mash believe that margaret houlihan turning on him so completely is appreciated today?

sure frank burns was a rat but hot lips knew that from the start. who did she think frank was? albert schweitzer? it begins with the ep of frank's wife learning of their affair. frank gets on the radio and trashes margaret and that was the groundwork to so completely demonize the frank burns character. maybe the writers wanted linville to quit the show? they sure gave him ample reasons to with the storyline they were going with.

alan alda and liberal hollywood television writers destroyed mash.

most fans if you asked them today would probably tell you that the first four seasons are the best period of the show. :D

I don't think the later seasons were meant to be uproariously funny. The show was sort of a comedy drama at that point. Personally, I think the best episodes are the ones from the last three seasons (which coincidentally occur after Radar has left). And the final season is my favourite one overall. 

but the first four seasons were meant to be uproariously funny. when will hollywood ever understand that continuity means something to viewers. it always has.

We stopped watching M*A*S*H when it became the Alan Alda show.  Wayne Rogers had a good series, City of Angels, on TV, but it did not last long.  He played a PI in 1930's LA.

one can easily get the impression from mash that rogers wasn't in alda's league. all you hafta do is watch an ep of City of Angels.

for some reason wayne rogers ability as an actor doesn't come through in his role of trapper john. years ago when City of Angels was on A&E, I watched a few and was just so impressed with wayne rogers ability as an actor.

but the first four seasons were meant to be uproariously funny. when will hollywood ever understand that continuity means something to viewers. it always has.

They tried to go back to the slapstick on the follow-up series AfterMASH, but Klinger in a dress was no longer funny. The show quickly tanked. Audiences had changed a lot from the early 70s to the early 80s. And more importantly, these characters had changed. 

They tried to go back to the slapstick on the follow-up series AfterMASH, but Klinger in a dress was no longer funny. The show quickly tanked. Audiences had changed a lot from the early 70s to the early 80s. And more importantly, these characters had changed. 

I remember the 2-hour finale episode which unbellevably ends with klinger deciding to stay in korea?

even today that makes me laugh..and not comedically.

I remember the 2-hour finale episode which unbellevably ends with klinger deciding to stay in korea?

even today that makes me laugh..and not comedically.

He obviously didn't stay. By the time AfterMASH begins, he is in Missouri with Colonel Potter and Father Mulcahey.

Wayne Rogers was a good actor who worked in supporting  roles in various films. When the MASH tv series was cast it should have been a big break for him. But right from day one the Alan Alda Hawkeye character got the focus . Most of the episodes feature him, he gets 90 % of the good lines, etc. I always had the understanding that both Wayne Rogers and McLean Stevenson left the show because they were not happy with the lack of balance in the scripts. Ironically when Mike Farrell and Harry Morgan joined the cast they got better treatment then the guys they replaced.  I think many of the best shows were the ones done in those middle years. The last few years were clearly some of the least appealing, not necessarily a reflection on the actors involved like David Ogden Stiers.  The  Larry Linville character of Frank should have been treated somewhat better. He should have been given some measure of  credit for being competent as a surgeon instead of being such a total buffoon .

• Like 3