Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sapphiere

FRED MACMURRAY- Nice Guy and Underrated Actor

This morning I only heard the last quarter of Kate MacMurray`s tribute to her father. I agreed with everything that she had said and can`t wait until I hear her ode to her Dad in it`s entirety. Fred could act in all movie genres easily whether, drama, film noir, comedy, westerns, and musicals. He acted with many well known actresses and never overshadowed them. But Fred was in there plugging along, and he was noticed. I can`t think of another actor who could have played Walter Neff or Mr. Shelldrake better. We knew that once he saw Barbara coming down the stairs in her robe and anklet, Fred was hooked. Mr. Shelldrake used his power and charms to hook Shirley MacLaine in THE APARTMENT. How we hated him in this adulterous situation, but he was so charming. Fred rarely portrayed evil men, but he did so as Lt. Tom Keever in THE CAINE MUTINY. He deserved the drink that was thrown in his face by Jose Ferrer after Captain Queeg`s trial was finished. TCM is showing over thirty of Fred`s films, but here is a list of fred`s other films that are not scheduled. Some of the films can be found on YOU TUBE. In no particular order: HANDS ACROSS THE TABLE, THE PRINCESS COMES ACROSS, THE RAINS OF RAINCHIPUR, GUNPOINT, THE FAR HORIZONS, GUN FOR A COWARD, QUANTEZ, DAY OF THE BADMEN, THE EGG AND I, THE OREGON TRIAL, BON VOYAGE, FOLLOW ME BOYS, THE HAPPIEST MILLIONAIRE, FATHER WAS A FULLBACK, RANGER OF FORTUNE, SMOKEY, AND THE ANGELS SLEEP, MAID OF SALEM, AT GUNPOINT, LITTLE OLD NY, MURDER HE SAYS, FAIR WIND TO JAVA, SINGAPORE, NO TIME FOR LOVE, and HONEYMOON TO BALI. I wish that TCm could have shown HANDS ACROSS THE TABLE, THE PRINCESS COMES ACROSS with Carole Lombard, THE RAINS OF RAINCHIPUR with Lana Turner and Richard burton, THE EGG AND I and NO TIME FOR LOVE with Claudette Colbert, FATHER WAS A FULBACK with Maureen O`Hara, and FOLLOW ME BOYS with Vera Miles. My son works for the BSA, and I think that he may have this film.

• Like 3

I agree.  I think MacMurray is very underrated as an actor. He is so much more than Steve Douglas from My Three Sons and the inventor of Flubber in The Absent Minded Professor.  I especially love his collaborations with Claudette Colbert and Barbara Stanwyck.  I don't believe that I've ever seen a musical in which MacMurray appeared.  I'll admit that I cannot picture it right now.

His performance as Walter Neff in Double Indemnity is particularly interesting.  While MacMurray and co-star Barbara Stanywck are technically the villains of the story and Edward G. Robinson's Barton Keyes serves as the protagonist, I can't help but put Neff in the limbo category between antagonist and protagonist.  On one hand, he helps Stanwyck's Phyllis Dietrichson character murder her husband because they've fallen for one another.  He actively plans and helps execute the murder.  On the other hand, Neff is an overall good guy, he's just been misled by Dietrichson to participate in this scheme, even though it's apparent that his feelings for her were genuine, while she was just using him.  While Mr. Dietrichson is the victim of Neff, I think Neff is the victim of Phyllis.  It's a very interesting juxtaposition and I think MacMurray played the part brilliantly.  I especially enjoyed his scenes with Robinson. 

His performance as Mr. Sheldrake in The Apartment is also fantastic.  His character is a total sleaze, but is charming while also manipulative.  He forces Jack Lemmon's CC Baxter character into a corner.  MacMurray promises Lemmon a job promotion, but in exchange, Lemmon has to give MacMurray exclusive access to his apartment.  Lemmon then meets Shirley MacLaine, a sweet elevator operator in their office building.  Lemmon has the unfortunate experience of finding out that MacMurray has his sights set on MacLaine as well, even going as far as to promise MacLaine that he'll divorce his wife for her.  Lemmon also finds out that MacLaine is just one of many of MacMurray's conquests.  It's easy to see how MacMurray is able to charm so many women in the office, despite so many knowing his lines and schemes.  He played the charming cad very well.  

I also love him in The Egg and I co-starring frequent co-star, Claudette Colbert.  MacMurray and Colbert portray newlyweds who give up city life to run a farm.  MacMurray was excellent as the young man, full of optimism and dreams. All he wants is to do is to run a successful farm with his wife.  He has unbridled energy and no set back is big enough to quash his dreams.  Even when the house is literally falling apart, he's there with a hammer and a nail to fix it up.  He did light comedies very well.  

My favorite MacMurray performances:

Double Indemnity

The Apartment 

The Egg and I

Dive Bomber

Alice Adams

Remember the Night

There's Always Tomorrow

The Absent Minded Professor

The Shaggy Dog

There are so many of MacMurray's films that I haven't seen.  I'm very much looking forward to his SOTM evenings.  I just hope I don't end up maxing out my DVR.  

• Like 2

I agree.  I think MacMurray is very underrated as an actor. He is so much more than Steve Douglas from My Three Sons and the inventor of Flubber in The Absent Minded Professor.  I especially love his collaborations with Claudette Colbert and Barbara Stanwyck.  I don't believe that I've ever seen a musical in which MacMurray appeared.  I'll admit that I cannot picture it right now.

His performance as Walter Neff in Double Indemnity is particularly interesting.  While MacMurray and co-star Barbara Stanywck are technically the villains of the story and Edward G. Robinson's Barton Keyes serves as the protagonist, I can't help but put Neff in the limbo category between antagonist and protagonist.  On one hand, he helps Stanwyck's Phyllis Dietrichson character murder her husband because they've fallen for one another.  He actively plans and helps execute the murder.  On the other hand, Neff is an overall good guy, he's just been misled by Dietrichson to participate in this scheme, even though it's apparent that his feelings for her were genuine, while she was just using him.  While Mr. Dietrichson is the victim of Neff, I think Neff is the victim of Phyllis.  It's a very interesting juxtaposition and I think MacMurray played the part brilliantly.  I especially enjoyed his scenes with Robinson. 

His performance as Mr. Sheldrake in The Apartment is also fantastic.  His character is a total sleaze, but is charming while also manipulative.  He forces Jack Lemmon's CC Baxter character into a corner.  MacMurray promises Lemmon a job promotion, but in exchange, Lemmon has to give MacMurray exclusive access to his apartment.  Lemmon then meets Shirley MacLaine, a sweet elevator operator in their office building.  Lemmon has the unfortunate experience of finding out that MacMurray has his sights set on MacLaine as well, even going as far as to promise MacLaine that he'll divorce his wife for her.  Lemmon also finds out that MacLaine is just one of many of MacMurray's conquests.  It's easy to see how MacMurray is able to charm so many women in the office, despite so many knowing his lines and schemes.  He played the charming cad very well.  

I also love him in The Egg and I co-starring frequent co-star, Claudette Colbert.  MacMurray and Colbert portray newlyweds who give up city life to run a farm.  MacMurray was excellent as the young man, full of optimism and dreams. All he wants is to do is to run a successful farm with his wife.  He has unbridled energy and no set back is big enough to quash his dreams.  Even when the house is literally falling apart, he's there with a hammer and a nail to fix it up.  He did light comedies very well.  

My favorite MacMurray performances:

Double Indemnity

The Apartment 

The Egg and I

Dive Bomber

Alice Adams

Remember the Night

There's Always Tomorrow

The Absent Minded Professor

The Shaggy Dog

There are so many of MacMurray's films that I haven't seen.  I'm very much looking forward to his SOTM evenings.  I just hope I don't end up maxing out my DVR.  

I have always liked fred macmurray. doan forget 'murder, he says'.

• Like 2

I haven't seen Murder He Says.  Perhaps after I see it and decide if I liked it, I'll add it to my list of favorite MacMurray performances.  If I didn't like his performance, then I won't.  However, I've liked MacMurray in everything I've seen him in so far, so I can't imagine not liking Murder He Says.  

MacMurray excels when he is playing a heel.  The Caine Mutiny and The Apartment.  I knew him from My Three Sons and the Disney films before seeing those 'adult' pictures.

I concur that Murder, He Says is quite good too.

• Like 1

Fred MacMurray's versatility as an actor is nicely demonstrated by his contrasting performances in one of the most corrosive of film noirs, Double Indemnity, and the slapstick murder mystery farce, Murder He Says. The latter remains my favourite comedy in which Fred appeared, it being a film that has the courage to (successfully) blend rustic hillbilly humour with the darker elements of murder and mayhem.

The film was directed by George Marshall who, five years earlier, had directed Bob Hope's The Ghost Breakers. As an inside joke, Fred at one point in the dialogue makes reference to the Hope film in trying to solve a mystery in his film.

• Like 2

I just kind of skimmed through the posts here, because I don't want to know in advance specifically which MacMurray films TCM is airing (consequently, I'll probably have to avoid this thread after posting if I want to remain in the dark). The only info I have is from the homepage saying 32 MacMurray films will be airing. So, I jumped over to imdb and picked out the 32 titles that seemed most interesting to me. I would say a good 80 per cent of my choices were films I hadn't seen before. 

So, if TCM ever handed the programming reigns over to me, and budget and copyright issues were nonexistent, here's what my wish list for MacMurray month would have been:

THE GILDED LILY (w/Claudette Colbert, Ray Milland, C. Aubrey Smith, Donald Meek) (Par., 1935)

THE BRIDE COMES HOME (w/Claudette Colbert, Robert Young, Donald Meek) (Paramount, 1935)

GRAND OLD GIRL (w/May Robson, Alan Hale) (RKO, 1935)

HANDS ACROSS THE TABLE (w/Carole Lombard, Ralph Bellamy) (Paramount, 1935)

THE PRINCESS COMES ACROSS (w/Carole Lombard, William Frawley) (Paramount, 1936)

EXCLUSIVE (w/Frances Farmer, Charlie Ruggles, Lloyd Nolan) (Paramount, 1937)

SWING HIGH, SWING LOW (w/Carole Lombard, Dorothy Lamour) (Paramount, 1937)

SING, YOU SINNERS (w/Bing Crosby, Donald O'Connor) (Paramount, 1938)

CAFE SOCIETY (w/Madeline Carroll) (Paramount, 1939)

REMEMBER THE NIGHT (w/Barbara Stanwyck, Beulah Bondi) (Paramount, 1940)

ONE NIGHT IN LISBON (w/Madeline Carroll, Billie Burke, May Whitty, Edmund Gwynn) (Par., 1941)

VIRGINIA (w/Madeline Carroll, Sterling Hayden, Louise Beavers) (Paramount, 1941)

TAKE A LETTER, DARLING (w/Rosalind Russell, MacDonald Carey, Robert Benchley) (Par., 1942)

STAR-SPANGLED RHYTHM (w/Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Franchot Tone, Ray Milland) (Par., 1942)

FLIGHT FOR FREEDOM (w/Rosalind Russell, Herbert Marshall) (RKO, 1943)

PRACTICALLY YOURS (w/Claudette Colbert, Cecil Kelleway, Robert Benchley) (Paramount, 1944)

AND THE ANGELS SING (w/Dorothy Lamour, Betty Hutton, Diana Lynn) (Paramount, 1944)

PARDON MY PAST (w/Akim Tamaroff, William Demarest, Harry Davenport) (Columbia, 1945)

SMOKY (w/Anne Baxter, Bruce Cabot, Burl Ives) (20th Century Fox, 1946)

SINGAPORE (w/Ava Gardner, Spring Byington) (Universal, 1947)

FAMILY HONEYMOON (w/Claudette Colbert) (Universal, 1948)

FATHER WAS A FULLBACK (w/Maureen O'Hara, Rudy Vallee, Thelma Ritter) (Fox, 1949)

CALLAWAY WENT THATAWAY (w/Dorothy Maguire, Howard Keel) (MGM, 1951)

FAIR WIND TO JAVA (w/Victor McLaglen) (Republic, 1953)

PUSHOVER (w/Kim Novak, Dorothy Malone, E.G. Marshall) (Columbia, 1954)

AT GUNPOINT (w/Dorothy Malone, Walter Brennan) (Allied Artists, 1955)

THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW (w/Barbara Stanwyck, Joan Bennett) (Universal, 1956)

THE SHAGGY DOG (w/Jean Hagen, Annette Funicello, Cecil Kellaway) (Disney, 1959)

GOOD DAY FOR A HANGING (w/Robert Vaughan) (Columbia, 1959)

THE APARTMENT (w/Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine, Ray Walston) (United Artists, 1960)

KISSES FOR MY PRESIDENT (w/Polly Bergen, Eli Wallach, Arlene Dahl) (Warner Bros., 1964)

FOLLOW ME, BOYS! (w/Vera Miles, Lillian Gish, Charlie Ruggles, Kurt Russell) (Disney, 1966)

Okay, I'm going to avoid this thread for at least the first week in case a bunch of people post and tell me how off my list is. I suspect TCM is going to seriously let me down as far as representing his Paramount output other than showing DOUBLE INDEMNITY (probably their most-shown Paramount film ever) and REMEMBER THE NIGHT. Guy basically spent the first 10 years of his career at Paramount. Going to be slighting that whole segment of his career if they only show those two films they have shown many times before.

Thank you for your in depth comments on DOUBLE INDEMITY and THE APARTMENT. One of my favorite scenes in DOUBLE INDEMITY occurs when Phyllis and Walter meet in the supermarket. Walter tells Phyllis that he is getting nervous that they will be caught. Phyllis cool as a cucumber informs Walter that they are both involved from the beginning. "It`s straight down the line for both of us."In THE APARTMENT Mr. Sheldrake thinks that the affair with Miss Kubelik will continue after his big mouth secretary who he fired blabbed to Mrs. Sheldrake about his being unfaithful. He couldn`t be bothered when C.C. Baxter calls to tell him of Miss Kubelik`s attempted sucide. Now he doesn`t want to be alone, and Miss Kubelik has grown up and moved on. What a **** Fred was! I have not seen MURDER, HE SAYS. I read that Helen Walker is in the cast. She was a very good actress who was involved in a terrible auto accident in which she was at fault. Helen was so good in NIGHTMARE ALLEY and CALL NORTHSIDE 777.

I just kind of skimmed through the posts here, because I don't want to know in advance specifically which MacMurray films TCM is airing (consequently, I'll probably have to avoid this thread after posting if I want to remain in the dark). The only info I have is from the homepage saying 32 MacMurray films will be airing. So, I jumped over to imdb and picked out the 32 titles that seemed most interesting to me. I would say a good 80 per cent of my choices were films I hadn't seen before. 

So, if TCM ever handed the programming reigns over to me, and budget and copyright issues were nonexistent, here's what my wish list for MacMurray month would have been:

THE GILDED LILY (w/Claudette Colbert, Ray Milland, C. Aubrey Smith, Donald Meek) (Par., 1935)

THE BRIDE COMES HOME (w/Claudette Colbert, Robert Young, Donald Meek) (Paramount, 1935)

GRAND OLD GIRL (w/May Robson, Alan Hale) (RKO, 1935)

HANDS ACROSS THE TABLE (w/Carole Lombard, Ralph Bellamy) (Paramount, 1935)

THE PRINCESS COMES ACROSS (w/Carole Lombard, William Frawley) (Paramount, 1936)

EXCLUSIVE (w/Frances Farmer, Charlie Ruggles, Lloyd Nolan) (Paramount, 1937)

SWING HIGH, SWING LOW (w/Carole Lombard, Dorothy Lamour) (Paramount, 1937)

SING, YOU SINNERS (w/Bing Crosby, Donald O'Connor) (Paramount, 1938)

CAFE SOCIETY (w/Madeline Carroll) (Paramount, 1939)

REMEMBER THE NIGHT (w/Barbara Stanwyck, Beulah Bondi) (Paramount, 1940)

ONE NIGHT IN LISBON (w/Madeline Carroll, Billie Burke, May Whitty, Edmund Gwynn) (Par., 1941)

VIRGINIA (w/Madeline Carroll, Sterling Hayden, Louise Beavers) (Paramount, 1941)

TAKE A LETTER, DARLING (w/Rosalind Russell, MacDonald Carey, Robert Benchley) (Par., 1942)

STAR-SPANGLED RHYTHM (w/Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Franchot Tone, Ray Milland) (Par., 1942)

FLIGHT FOR FREEDOM (w/Rosalind Russell, Herbert Marshall) (RKO, 1943)

PRACTICALLY YOURS (w/Claudette Colbert, Cecil Kelleway, Robert Benchley) (Paramount, 1944)

AND THE ANGELS SING (w/Dorothy Lamour, Betty Hutton, Diana Lynn) (Paramount, 1944)

PARDON MY PAST (w/Akim Tamaroff, William Demarest, Harry Davenport) (Columbia, 1945)

SMOKY (w/Anne Baxter, Bruce Cabot, Burl Ives) (20th Century Fox, 1946)

SINGAPORE (w/Ava Gardner, Spring Byington) (Universal, 1947)

FAMILY HONEYMOON (w/Claudette Colbert) (Universal, 1948)

FATHER WAS A FULLBACK (w/Maureen O'Hara, Rudy Vallee, Thelma Ritter) (Fox, 1949)

CALLAWAY WENT THATAWAY (w/Dorothy Maguire, Howard Keel) (MGM, 1951)

FAIR WIND TO JAVA (w/Victor McLaglen) (Republic, 1953)

PUSHOVER (w/Kim Novak, Dorothy Malone, E.G. Marshall) (Columbia, 1954)

AT GUNPOINT (w/Dorothy Malone, Walter Brennan) (Allied Artists, 1955)

THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW (w/Barbara Stanwyck, Joan Bennett) (Universal, 1956)

THE SHAGGY DOG (w/Jean Hagen, Annette Funicello, Cecil Kellaway) (Disney, 1959)

GOOD DAY FOR A HANGING (w/Robert Vaughan) (Columbia, 1959)

THE APARTMENT (w/Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine, Ray Walston) (United Artists, 1960)

KISSES FOR MY PRESIDENT (w/Polly Bergen, Eli Wallach, Arlene Dahl) (Warner Bros., 1964)

FOLLOW ME, BOYS! (w/Vera Miles, Lillian Gish, Charlie Ruggles, Kurt Russell) (Disney, 1966)

Okay, I'm going to avoid this thread for at least the first week in case a bunch of people post and tell me how off my list is. I suspect TCM is going to seriously let me down as far as representing his Paramount output other than showing DOUBLE INDEMNITY (probably their most-shown Paramount film ever) and REMEMBER THE NIGHT. Guy basically spent the first 10 years of his career at Paramount. Going to be slighting that whole segment of his career if they only show those two films they have shown many times before.

Thank you for your well organized list and adding films that I may have missed. Six weeks ago I moved to my new address. I imformed the U.S. Post Office of my change of address. Next I called the toll free number to Now Playing imforming them of my move. The January Now Playing guide has still not arrived. Before Christmas I called them again about the problem. They told me that another copy will be sent out, but it may take two weeks. The next thing the clerk asked was "would I like to renew my subscription." My subscription will be renewed when I receive my January and February issues!

Like a lot of "boomers" my age, I didn't know anyting about Fred MacMurray before his role as Steve Douglas on MY THREE SONS.  In fact, the first movie I ever saw him in was THE ABSENT MINDED PROFESSOR, which I felt glad to see that Fred MacMurray had finally hit the "big time"!  :D

I learned better as time went on though....

After that, I caught THE EGG AND I on a late show sometime, and later KISSES FOR MY PRESIDENT.  But his earlier filmography came about over the subsequent years and resulted in my learning about his vast versatility as an actor.  I was first familiar with him in comedy.  Both on TV and some '50's-'60's movies, but found he could also be the upstanding man of integrity, and also an SOB.  And do either with equal aplomb.

Underrated?

I'd say it wouldn't be possible for anyone who's seen a variety of his different movie roles, unless their qualifications to judge are overrated. 

Sepiatone

Thank you for your in depth comments on DOUBLE INDEMITY and THE APARTMENT. One of my favorite scenes in DOUBLE INDEMITY occurs when Phyllis and Walter meet in the supermarket. Walter tells Phyllis that he is getting nervous that they will be caught. Phyllis cool as a cucumber informs Walter that they are both involved from the beginning. "It`s straight down the line for both of us."In THE APARTMENT Mr. Sheldrake thinks that the affair with Miss Kubelik will continue after his big mouth secretary who he fired blabbed to Mrs. Sheldrake about his being unfaithful. He couldn`t be bothered when C.C. Baxter calls to tell him of Miss Kubelik`s attempted sucide. Now he doesn`t want to be alone, and Miss Kubelik has grown up and moved on. What a **** Fred was! I have not seen MURDER, HE SAYS. I read that Helen Walker is in the cast. She was a very good actress who was involved in a terrible auto accident in which she was at fault. Helen was so good in NIGHTMARE ALLEY and CALL NORTHSIDE 777.

THE APARTMENT and DOUBLE INDEMNITY are my two favorite films of all time. What they have in common are Billy Wilder and Fred MacMurray.

Thank you for your well organized list and adding films that I may have missed. Six weeks ago I moved to my new address. I imformed the U.S. Post Office of my change of address. Next I called the toll free number to Now Playing imforming them of my move. The January Now Playing guide has still not arrived. Before Christmas I called them again about the problem. They told me that another copy will be sent out, but it may take two weeks. The next thing the clerk asked was "would I like to renew my subscription." My subscription will be renewed when I receive my January and February issues!

Good Luck!!!  For some reason I didn't get an issue about six months ago.  Took three phone calls (all said will mail another copy) and four weeks to get it.  Actually had the next month's before the current month arrived.

MacMurray did a lot of really good movies.

But, if not for TCM for the most part, how many of us would have known him only for My Three Sons and maybe the Disney movies?

Thank you TCM!

• Like 4

Good Luck!!!  For some reason I didn't get an issue about six months ago.  Took three phone calls (all said will mail another copy) and four weeks to get it.  Actually had the next month's before the current month arrived.

Guess What! My February issue of Now Playing arrived on Monday. For the third time I called Now Playing, and a fellow told me that my January issue was sent out in a manila envelope a week ago. He told me that if I do not receive the issue by Friday to call again. I will keep calling until I receive my January issue in January.

THE APARTMENT and DOUBLE INDEMNITY are my two favorite films of all time. What they have in common are Billy Wilder and Fred MacMurray

THE APARTMENT and DOUBLE INDEMNITY are my two favorite films of all time. What they have in common are Billy Wilder and Fred MacMurray.

Fred was not the first choice of either Billy Wilder film. In the book ON SUNSET BOULEVARD THE LIFE AND TIMES OF BILLY WILDER by Ed Sikov, Billy first asked George Raft to play Walter Neff. Thankfully George turned down the role.Next he asked Fred who thought the idea of playing a murderer was suicidal for his career. He also did not think that his studio Paramount would let him take the part. Billy kept pestering Fred wherever he saw him until he wore him down. Fred`s contract was up for renewal, and he was asking for a increase in salary. Paramount executives decided to let Fred "hang himself' since they they thought DOUBLE INDEMITY would be a disaster, and Fred would be taught a lesson. The joke was on Paramount because Fred was a inspired choice as Walter Neff, and the movie was a success. In THE APARTMENT Billy had chosen Paul Douglas to portray Mr. Sheldrake. Two weeks before filming was set to begin in 1959, Paul died of a heart attack.Fred was reluctant to take the part because he had just signed a deal with Walt Disney, and THE SHAGGY DOG had just been released. I believe that I read somewhere that Fred told Billy that he only comes to him when he is in a pickle. How fortunate that Fred acted in these two classics.

But, if not for TCM for the most part, how many of us would have known him only for My Three Sons and maybe the Disney movies?

Thank you TCM!

Not surprisingly my son owns the dvd of FOLLOW ME BOYS, and I will be able to watch Fred`s role as a Boy Scout scoutmaster in the 1930`s. A young Kurt Russell is also in the cast. On New Year`s Day, I saw Kurt in THE HATEFUL EIGHT the only new movie that I saw this year that I would go back to see again.

Thank you TCM!

I believe I said something similar.

Great minds DO think alike!  B)

I'll join you in that thanks, Cid.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Like a lot of "boomers" my age, I didn't know anyting about Fred MacMurray before his role as Steve Douglas on MY THREE SONS.  In fact, the first movie I ever saw him in was THE ABSENT MINDED PROFESSOR, which I felt glad to see that Fred MacMurray had finally hit the "big time"!  :D

I learned better as time went on though....

I had a similar experience with James Stewart who played a gunman turned doctor in a radio Western, The Six Shooter, in the early 50's.  When I saw him on TV plugging a film on The Jack benny Program I was impressed that he was "making movies now".  My laughing Mom and Grandma informed me he'd been doing it for 20 years, had an Oscar and was as big a star as you could get.  Compared to the 30's and 40's It might have been the tail end of radio but there was still plenty of programing to entertain us until we got Grandma's old Crossley TV in '52.  

I also had no idea who Walter Brennan was until The Real McCoys.  By the time Rio Bravo came out I'd learned he had three Oscars in as long a career as Stewart's. 

• Like 1

I was never a fan of either as a kid. MacMurray has only come to me through his classic movie roles and for some reason, he rubs me the wrong way. The only role I really like him in is REMEMBER THE NIGHT, where his smugness fits the charactor.

Fred MacMurray's personality reminds me of Dick Powell's personality-smug pretty boys trying to conceal their huge egos. They even look similar to me.

I'm glad TCM has these spotlights on stars, so I can actually form a more well-rounded opinion of an actor, as an ACTOR, not just a dull personality.

I was never a fan of either as a kid. MacMurray has only come to me through his classic movie roles and for some reason, he rubs me the wrong way. The only role I really like him in is REMEMBER THE NIGHT, where his smugness fits the charactor.

Fred MacMurray's personality reminds me of Dick Powell's personality-smug pretty boys trying to conceal their huge egos. They even look similar to me.

I'm glad TCM has these spotlights on stars, so I can actually form a more well-rounded opinion of an actor, as an ACTOR, not just a dull personality.

When I saw Kate MacMurray give her presentation on the cruise, it was easily one of my favorite events. She was very sweet and truly loved her parents. Fred was a very down to earth guy according to his daughter, even as far as brown bagging his lunch every day. He provided not only for his wife & children, but took care of various relatives as well. I grew up with the Disney films & My Three Sons, and have watched his films over the years. Anyway I appreciated him more after getting to "know" him through his daughter's eyes.

I'm wondering if you are confusing the characters Fred has played in the limited number of movies you have seen him in, with his actual personality.

Anyhow I don't care about an actors actual personality.   I only care if they are convincing on screen.  To me Fred was a sound actor and he played the characters he played as directed.    

I'm wondering if you are confusing the characters Fred has played in the limited number of movies you have seen him in, with his actual personality.

Anyhow I don't care about an actors actual personality.   I only care if they are convincing on screen.  To me Fred was a sound actor and he played the characters he played as directed.    

I am looking forward to seeing the beginning of Fred`s movies tonight. In my opinion he showed enough versatility in his body of work, to watch all his different types of films. Fred and June should be very proud of the loving tribute that their daughter Kate gave to her dad`s career and life. These testimonials by friends or loved ones for TCM`S SOTM are few and far between, and I always enjoy them. I wish that all the SOTM`S were honored with one.

• Like 1

I am looking forward to seeing the beginning of Fred`s movies tonight. In my opinion he showed enough versatility in his body of work, to watch all his different types of films. Fred and June should be very proud of the loving tribute that their daughter Kate gave to her dad`s career and life. These testimonials by friends or loved ones for TCM`S SOTM are few and far between, and I always enjoy them. I wish that all the SOTM`S were honored with one.

He started out as a sax player. Did he ever play the sax in a film, once he got established in films?

• Like 1

He started out as a sax player. Did he ever play the sax in a film, once he got established in films?

I believe he plays a musician in SWING HIGH, SWING LOW (but a quick check of the keywords on the IMDb for the film indicates his character was a trumpet player, not a sax player). And he plays the concertina in THE PRINCESS COMES ACROSS. He was a singer in SING YOU SINNERS, and an orchestra leader in Paramount's AND THE ANGELS SING. Later, he was also a musician in Disney's FOLLOW ME, BOYS! but I don't remember what instrument he played, or if he just conducted the boys.

However...I do remember him playing sax in a mid-60s episode of My Three Sons.

I believe he plays a musician in SWING HIGH, SWING LOW (but a quick check of the keywords on the IMDb for the film indicates his character was a trumpet player, not a sax player). And he plays the concertina in THE PRINCESS COMES ACROSS. He was a singer in SING YOU SINNERS, and an orchestra leader in Paramount's AND THE ANGELS SING. Later, he was also a musician in Disney's FOLLOW ME, BOYS! but I don't remember what instrument he played, or if he just conducted the boys.

However...I do remember him playing sax in a mid-60s episode of My Three Sons.

I assume that he could play the sax better than Bill Clinton.