Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sapphiere

FRED MACMURRAY- Nice Guy and Underrated Actor

Thanks TB for posting Fred`s schedule. Who knows when I will receive the January Now Playing Guide. They told me the issue was mailed out before Christmas. I own WOMEN`S WORLD 1954, and the movie is a Jean Negulesco gem about big business. The men involved are up for a promotion, and their wives come along for the trip. Clifton Webb is the boss, and Fred`s wife is Lauren Bacall. THERE`S ALWAYS TOMORROW 1956 is a underrated Douglas Sirk film where married Fred and Barbara Stanwyck meet again after many years. I forgot to add THE RAINS OF RAINCHIPUR 1955 on my Fred wish list. Maybe the movie isn`t as good as the original THE RAINS CAME, but I like the film. When I lived in my former apartment I had this movie on my dvr. Unfortunately I lost everything when the dvr was sent back to Directv. We have Senior Cable here. My son and daughter-in-law bought me a TEVO for Christmas, so I am starting over again. So far I only have a few film noirs, and I did not save TRUE CONFESSIONS. The rest of Fred`s movies I taped, and after viewing I will decide to keep them or not. MURDER HE SAYS, SUDDENLY IT`S SPRING, and ALICE ADAMS are keepers. I haven`t watched the rest of Wednesday night`s movies. SWING HIGH SWING LOW is available on AMAZON PRIME so their print might be better. Anthony Quinn sure looked young probably 22.

Isn't it unusual for the SOTM films to begin at 6PM rather than 8PM?

Isn't it unusual for the SOTM films to begin at 6PM rather than 8PM?

Good point. I think when I made those screen shots, it is because I live in Colorado-- so when I view the TCM schedule, the information comes up under Mountain time zone. 

And by extension, our primetime starts at 6, not 8. For example, tonight in Colorado YANKEE DOODLE DANDY airs at 6 p.m. (That's probably 7 in Chicago and 8 in New York, right?)

Good point. I think when I made those screen shots, it is because I live in Colorado-- so when I view the TCM schedule, the information comes up under Mountain time zone. 

And by extension, our primetime starts at 6, not 8. For example, tonight in Colorado YANKEE DOODLE DANDY airs at 6 p.m. (That's probably 7 in Chicago and 8 in New York, right?)

I noticed because DOUBLE INDEMNITY airs at 6 ET rather than 8.

I noticed because DOUBLE INDEMNITY airs at 6 ET rather than 8.

On January 13th, DOUBLE INDEMNITY airs at 8 Eastern time...it airs at 6 Mountain time.

And the screen shots of the schedule I posted were Mountain time.

On January 13th, DOUBLE INDEMNITY airs at 8 Eastern time...it airs at 6 Mountain time.

And the screen shots of the schedule I posted were Mountain time.

Oh, so that explains it!

Oh, so that explains it!

Yes. Sorry for the confusion.

In future posts of the schedule, I will make sure to clearly indicate the specific time zone I may be referencing. 

I am glad you brought this to my attention! :)

I'm a fan of the RANCHIPUR movie, but Fred is playing a supporting role in it (though he is quite good as always). 

I agree that SUDDENLY IT'S SPRING is a keeper. Fun film with excellent stars. 

I was surprised they didn't air WOMEN'S WORLD when either Lauren Bacall or June Allyson were featured as Star of the Month.

Hope you enjoy your Christmas gift!

I have been enjoying my Christmas gifts.With the junk that is on the major networks, I watch very few shows.Last night I watched the documentary THE GRIZZLEY MAN 2005 which won a prize at the Sundance Film Festival. Timothy Treadwell lived with the bears for thirteen seasons until the inevitable happened to him and his girlfriend. Before I see THE REVENANT I wanted to see the doc. Tomorrow the Golden Globes will be presented, and I am hoping that Leonardo DiCaprio wins. He has given his fans many fine performances over twenty five years. And I like that he is versatile in chosing his roles.

• Like 1

TB, I did not even notice that the times of Fred`s movie schedule was different. Mississippi is in the Central Time Zone, and I was grateful to receive the schedule on one page. Pity to anyone who is planning moving soon. Your next issue of Now Playing maybe lost in the Twilight Zone.

• Like 1

I have been enjoying my Christmas gifts.With the junk that is on the major networks, I watch very few shows.Last night I watched the documentary THE GRIZZLEY MAN 2005 which won a prize at the Sundance Film Festival. Timothy Treadwell lived with the bears for thirteen seasons until the inevitable happened to him and his girlfriend. Before I see THE REVENANT I wanted to see the doc. Tomorrow the Golden Globes will be presented, and I am hoping that Leonardo DiCaprio wins. He has given his fans many fine performances over twenty five years. And I like that he is versatile in chosing his roles.

Nice post. Glad you are enjoying everything. The documentary you described sounds interesting.

And thanks for the reminder that the Golden Globes are coming up...had completely forgotten!

• Like 1

TB, I did not even notice that the times of Fred`s movie schedule was different. Mississippi is in the Central Time Zone, and I was grateful to receive the schedule on one page. Pity to anyone who is planning moving soon. Your next issue of Now Playing maybe lost in the Twilight Zone.

I've had issues with my Now Playing subscription getting messed up during a move.  It seems to take a couple cycles for the new address to take.  Last time I moved, I emailed the TCM Customer Care to get my missing issue and they told me that the reason that my subscription seems to lapse during an address change is because the issues are printed and addressed in advance.  It takes a couple months for an address change to take place.

Nice post. Glad you are enjoying everything. The documentary you described sounds interesting.

And thanks for the reminder that the Golden Globes are coming up...had completely forgotten!

Today I went to see THE BIG SHORT. Brad Pitt was a producer, and he had a small role. I am most impressed with Steve Carell who deserves a best supporting actor nomination from the Academy. FOXCATCHER 2014 was no fluke. Steve is equally adept at comedy and drama. I am happy that the two Steve`s Colbert and Carell are good friends. The interview with the two of them together was hilarious.

• Like 1

I've had issues with my Now Playing subscription getting messed up during a move.  It seems to take a couple cycles for the new address to take.  Last time I moved, I emailed the TCM Customer Care to get my missing issue and they told me that the reason that my subscription seems to lapse during an address change is because the issues are printed and addressed in advance.  It takes a couple months for an address change to take place.

Why didn`t I have a problem receiving VANITY FAIR and ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY? If the January issue doesn`t arrive soon, I will make copies of the articles in the issue from online.

Today I went to see THE BIG SHORT. Brad Pitt was a producer, and he had a small role. I am most impressed with Steve Carell who deserves a best supporting actor nomination from the Academy. FOXCATCHER 2014 was no fluke. Steve is equally adept at comedy and drama. I am happy that the two Steve`s Colbert and Carell are good friends. The interview with the two of them together was hilarious.

So are you going to make any predictions..or will you wait and see tomorrow how the Golden Globes turn out?

The nominees are on the following wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/73rd_Golden_Globe_Awards

So are you going to make any predictions..or will you wait and see tomorrow how the Golden Globes turn out?

The nominees are on the following wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/73rd_Golden_Globe_Awards

Since I have grumbled before about the movie theatre in Columbus, I haven`t seen SPOTLIGHT, ROOM, BROOKLYN, CAROL, THE DANISH GIRL, and TRUMBO. Listening to the pundits and my own feelings, SPOTLIGHT Best Drama, a tossup between Brie Larson ROOM or Saoirse Ronan BROOKLYN. If Leonardo DiCaprio doesen`t win for best actor for THE REVENANT, I will scream. He previously won a Golden Globe for THE AVIATOR and THE WOLF OF WALL STREET. He is my favorite younger actor ever since I saw him in THIS BOY`S LIFE. He likes to take risks and stretches with each role. Best Actress in a comedy I would give the award to Melissa McCarthy in SPY. Jennifer Lawrence was ok in JOY, but the movie was nothing earth shattering, and she was young for the role in the later parts of the film. I loved Al Pacino in DANNY COLLINS, haven`t seen Mark Ruffalo in INFINETLY POLAR BEAR, and CHRISTIAN BALE and STEVE CARELL should be considered supporting actors in THE BIG SHORT. Matt Damon is left in THE MARTIAN, and he is my pick. He had to talk to himself for long stretches of the film, and Matt has never won a Golden Globe. Best Picture for comedy THE BIG SHORT. Animated film INSIDE OUT. Best Actress in a supporting role a tossup between Alicia Vikander EX MACHINIA or JENNIFER Jason Leigh in THE HATEFUL EIGHT. Jennifer more than held her own against seven men in the stopover reststop against the blizzard outside. Jennifer did the nice tribute to Barbara Stanwyck a few years ago on TCM. Alicia is up in two catagories so the HFPI may want to honor her for one of the roles.

• Like 1

Since I have grumbled before about the movie theatre in Columbus, I haven`t seen SPOTLIGHT, ROOM, BROOKLYN, CAROL, THE DANISH GIRL, and TRUMBO. Listening to the pundits and my own feelings, SPOTLIGHT Best Drama, a tossup between Brie Larson ROOM or Saoirse Ronan BROOKLYN. If Leonardo DiCaprio doesen`t win for best actor for THE REVENANT, I will scream. He previously won a Golden Globe for THE AVIATOR and THE WOLF OF WALL STREET. He is my favorite younger actor ever since I saw him in THIS BOY`S LIFE. He likes to take risks and stretches with each role. Best Actress in a comedy I would give the award to Melissa McCarthy in SPY. Jennifer Lawrence was ok in JOY, but the movie was nothing earth shattering, and she was young for the role in the later parts of the film. I loved Al Pacino in DANNY COLLINS, haven`t seen Mark Ruffalo in INFINETLY POLAR BEAR, and CHRISTIAN BALE and STEVE CARELL should be considered supporting actors in THE BIG SHORT. Matt Damon is left in THE MARTIAN, and he is my pick. He had to talk to himself for long stretches of the film, and Matt has never won a Golden Globe. Best Picture for comedy THE BIG SHORT. Animated film INSIDE OUT. Best Actress in a supporting role a tossup between Alicia Vikander EX MACHINIA or JENNIFER Jason Leigh in THE HATEFUL EIGHT. Jennifer more than held her own against seven men in the stopover reststop against the blizzard outside. Jennifer did the nice tribute to Barbara Stanwyck a few years ago on TCM. Alicia is up in two catagories so the HFPI may want to honor her for one of the roles.

Great summary/commentary. I have not even seen half these films (yet). Traditionally I'd root for Pacino...always love his performances, even in mediocre films. Not too sure how I feel about DiCaprio...yes, he tries to take different kinds of roles to stretch himself as an actor but is not always successful at his acting experiments. Some of these gals you mentioned I know very little about them in terms of their acting styles-- they really haven't been on my radar, so to speak. I share your feelings, however, about Jennifer Jason Leigh. One of her very first roles, it might have been even her first role, was on an episode of The Waltons in the early 80s. I can recall watching it first-run, and then seeing it again in syndication a few times. She was great back then, right out of the gate.

You'll have to go over a 'winners' list tomorrow, after the awards are announced...tell whether you agree about each one or not. :)

• Like 1

Great summary/commentary. I have not even seen half these films (yet). Traditionally I'd root for Pacino...always love his performances, even in mediocre films. Not too sure how I feel about DiCaprio...yes, he tries to take different kinds of roles to stretch himself as an actor but is not always successful at his acting experiments. Some of these gals you mentioned I know very little about them in terms of their acting styles-- they really haven't been on my radar, so to speak. I share your feelings, however, about Jennifer Jason Leigh. One of her very first roles, it might have been even her first role, was on an episode of The Waltons in the early 80s. I can recall watching it first-run, and then seeing it again in syndication a few times. She was great back then, right out of the gate.

You'll have to go over a 'winners' list tomorrow, after the awards are announced...tell whether you agree about each one or not. :)

Tina Fey and Amy Poehler did such a great job hosting, I was sorry to hear that Ricky Gervais is back. His humor escapes me, and he was also nasty a few years ago. I trust that Chris Rock will do fine hosting the Oscars.

I thought that the print SWING HIGH SWING LOW looked better on Amazon Prime. Since I have only watched thru the first nightclub scene, I will finish on Amazon.

• Like 1

Tina Fey and Amy Poehler did such a great job hosting, I was sorry to hear that Ricky Gervais is back. His humor escapes me, and he was also nasty a few years ago. I trust that Chris Rock will do fine hosting the Oscars.

Yes, some of the comedians who host the awards shows nowadays are not as good as their predecessors. Of course, they all think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'd say Bob Hope and Billy Crystal set the standard.

• Like 1

Yes, some of the comedians who host the awards shows nowadays are not as good as their predecessors. Of course, they all think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'd say Bob Hope and Billy Crystal set the standard.

I would give a thumbs up to Johnny Carson who took the hosting job seriously and was wonderful. When I moved into my NY townhouse in 2001, my girlfriend gave me a housewarming gift. How nice to see the Academy Awards telecast live from the Regal Cinema. Most people were couples, but I went alone. The host was Steve Martin for the first time. I enjoy his humor, and he did a good job. Ellen DeGeneres kept the show moving when she hosted. I liked her ordering the pizza, and the selfie taken with many stars.

• Like 1

In the mid to late 1990`s Universal came out with three different Paramount collections. The Carole Lombard, Barbara Stanwyck, and Claudette Colbert collections. I bought two Barbara Stanwyck INTERNES CAN`T TAKE MONEY 1937, and ALL I DESIRE 1953. I stupidly purchased only one Carole Lombard HANDS ACROSS THE TABLE 1935. Now I wish that I had bought THE PRINCESS COMES ACROSS 1936. The first pairing of Fred and Carole was delightful throughout. Carole plays Regi Allen a manicurist employed in a posh hotel. She hopes that her job will land her a wealthy husband. Regi does meet Ralph Bellamy when she is called to his apartment for a appointment. Ralph is wealthy, and he is confined to a wheelchair because of a flying accident. Regi and Ralph become friends and confidants. In the hotel hallway she meets Theodore Drew III playing hopscotch on the checkered hotel hallway. Regi`s boss tells her that Ted is wealthy. Ted has noticed Regi, and he soon makes an appointment with her for a manicure. Poor Regi is so nervous trying to make a good impression, Ted leaves with band aids on his fingers. Ted falls in love with Regi, but she soon learns that he is broke. Ted is engaged to a wealthy woman, but he decides to remove himself from the upcoming marriage. Ted and Regi fall in love, and he decides that it is time to find a job. SWING HIGH SWING LOW was better than TRUE CONFESSIONS, but HANDS ACROSS THE TABLE  was the best.

• Like 1

SWING HIGH SWING LOW was better than TRUE CONFESSIONS, but HANDS ACROSS THE TABLE  was the best.

That's my opinion as well. And THE PRINCESS COMES ACROSS ranks right after HANDS ACROSS THE TABLE. 

Speaking of those collections-- Universal released a glamour collection featuring Marlene Dietrich and another one for Mae West fans.

• Like 1

Hooray! My January issue of Now Playing finally arrived today in a manila envelope. I refer to the guide frequently, and the articles are very interesting. Hope everybody will receive their guide on time throughout 2016.

• Like 2

Hooray! My January issue of Now Playing finally arrived today in a manila envelope. I refer to the guide frequently, and the articles are very interesting. Hope everybody will receive their guide on time throughout 2016.

Good for you! :)

• Like 1