Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
miffed13

favorite musicals

My favorite musicals are with Nelson Eddy and Jeanette Macdonald...they had such chemistry together...and i tried to catch the musicals with just one or the other also...does anyone know if and when they will ever be put on dvds? Another question is ..How come when they played together she always got top billing? The only time i saw him get top billing was when he made a picture without her....Does anyone know if they were friends off screen? Or did they remain friends after they stopped making movies?

An American In Paris is truly a classic and with George Gershwins music it is a bonus to see

I, like everyone, love the 50's and 60's musicals, but even more do I like the older ones.

I adore 42nd street. It was one of Busby Berkley's earlier films and I personally think .one of his finest.

Also,

Babes in Arms. Yes, it is campy, but personally it holds a special place in my heart. And I love to show people that Love "Singin' in the Rain" that the songs "Good Mornin' " and "Singin' in the Rain" were written long before the movie of the same title.

So many to choose from...!

Here are mine, in no particular order:

-Hedwig and the Angry Inch

-Ziegfeld Girl

-A Star is Born (1954, Judy Garland and James Mason)

-West Side Story

-Thoroughly Modern Millie

-All That Jazz

-Guys and Dolls

Other ones that are not particularly remembered as milestones, but that I could enjoy watching multiple times are "Girl Crazy", "Summer Stock" (maybe just "Get Happy"), "The Pajama Game", "Kiss Me Kate" (or anything with Anne Miller tap dancing her brains out), "The Rocky Horror Picture Show", and "Victor/Victoria".

I also prefer the original Julie Andrews version of "Cinderella". Leslie-Ann Warren is a fine actress, but IMHO she can't compare with young Andrews' crystal-clear vocals. It always amuses me to watch her later films like "TSoM" and then watch "Cinderella"; she was only 22 at the time and sounded like a little mouse :D.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Singing in the Rain

Top Hat

American in Paris

GiGi

Oliver

ShowBoat

Hair

Godspell

Jesus Christ Superstar

Joseph and the Techical Color Dreamcoat

Grease

Cats

Yankie Doodle Dandy

Rent

Little Shop of Horrors

To Wong Foo, thanks for Everything Julie Newmar

Brigadoon

Auntie Mame

Kismet

West Side Story

Sound of Music

Hello Dolly

My Fair Lady

A Funny Thing Hapened On the Way To The Forum

Fiddler on The Roof

Rockey Horror Picture Show

A Star is Born- Both films

Strike Up the Band

Funny Girl

Footloose

Hard Day's Nigght

Jail House Rock

The King And I

Purple Rain

Royal Wedding

South Pacific

The Whiz

Tommy

The Music Man

Fame

42ond Street

Rock and Roll High School

My favorite musicals include the following:

The Wizard of Oz I really enjoy musicals.

Holiday Inn

Easter Parade

Singing In The Rain

Till The Clouds Roll By

The Great Ziegfeld

Gold Diggers of 1933

Top Hat

Swing Time

Yankee Doodle Dandy

Meet Me In St. Louis

The Harvey Girls

Forty Second Street

Footlight Parade

Stage Door Canteen

Naughty Marietta

Kinston:

-I have seen "MMiSL" and "The Harvey Girls" on TCM at least 65,342 times, and I never get tired of them. I watched them at dawn yesterday for the salute (I live on the west coast), even though I told myself I should sleep or do something else since I've seen them to death already. But nope, I sat there and watched the whole thing...

-I love all the Ziegfeld tributes MGM did, especially the earlier ones. What I've never been able to find out though, is why Walter Pidgeon is always playing Flo Ziegfeld... all the way to "Funny Girl" in 1968...

Geaniebeanie:

-Did you mean "Mame" with Lucille Ball? "Auntie Mame" preceded it, starring Rosalind Russell as Mame and it wasn't a musical. Great movie though... Rosalind Russell is hilarious as always. I take the DVD out and watch it once in a while.

-I'm not sure if "Wong Foo" can be called a musical, even though Patrick Swayze in drag is mind-boggling enough to defy categorization. I always thought that as a woman he looked eerily similar to Marcia Cross (Bree from "Desperate Housewives").

-Francisca

"What I've never been able to find out though, is why Walter Pidgeon is always playing Flo Ziegfeld... all the way to "Funny Girl" in 1968..."

In what else does Mr. Pidgeon play Florenz Ziegfeld? I thought it was William Powell who most often played the Broadway impresario...

Have you listened to the audio commentary to The Harvey Girls? It's one of my favorites. To be able to watch with director George Sidney is a treat!

Maybe that's why :P...silly me got confused. Thank you for the correction! It seems that I've been thanking you constantly today...

I unfortunately do not own a copy of "The Harvey Girls" on DVD. I did get a job recently though, so it's only a matter of time.

Congratulations on the job! I see great things ahead for you, and among them is the Harvey Girls DVD. Enjoy!

Kiss Me Kate and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. I fell in love with Howard Keel after seeing him in Kiss Me Kate! I also loved Gene Kelly and he never looked better than in The Pirate. The Band Wagon had some of my favorite music so it ranks high on my list of favorites.

AHHH there are so many good ones out there!!! Let me think...

Not in any particular order but:

Moon Over Miami

Pin Up Girl

Down Argentine Way

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

On The Town

Singin' In The Rain

Ziegfeld Follies

Summer Stock

Top Hat

Swing Time

Make Mine Music

42nd Street

I'm probably forgetting tons haha

I love most any musical, truth be told, but my main favorites are probably Fiddler on the Roof, West Side Story, Funny Face, My Fair Lady, Evita

Brad

Oh, and can't forget Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. So hard to narrow it down..........lol

Message was edited by:

bradtexasranger

Good News was certainly good news for a late-September musicfest. I love "Little Things Mean A Lot" and June Allyson has been my "girl next door" since I was young. Bravo for this typically fine performance!

> Good News was certainly good news for a

> late-September musicfest. I love "Little Things Mean

> A Lot" and June Allyson has been my "girl next door"

> since I was young. Bravo for this typically fine

> performance!

I saw that this morning off my DVR, I loved it too! Everything a musical should be, silly fun story, good music, singing and dancing.

Brad

Pal Joey is on the horizon. Good actors, excellent music! "I Didn't Know What Time It Was" is one of my favorites! Can't wait to see this production again!

As a rule I dislike remakes intensely with a few exceptions, but one musical I would love to see remade is Rogers & Hamersteins' Cinderella (made for TV) originally with Leslie Ann Warren and Stewart Damon, also Walter Pigeon and Ginger Rogers. It was run long before the days of VCR's and I would like to see a re-run of it, or a remake even for TV again. The score is great, and I did buy the album, yes the GREAT BIG 33-1/3 RPM black record (dating myself?) and I sang along until I knew every word. Last year my grandaughters school put it on for the spring play, and I sang along with every song, which brought back memories of the original.

Miss Gunn, did you know they did re-make Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella? Disney did it in 1997 for a television screening (as the first two versions were), starring Brandy in the title role, and featuring Bernadette Peters, Whitney Houston, Jason Alexander, Whoopi Goldberg and Victor Garber.

The 1965 Lesley Ann Warren version, of course, was a remake of the original presentation from 1957 starring a young Julie Andrews. All three are available on DVD...

It's been years since I've seen it, but I most remember the color experimentation that Joshua Logan did in the film. They used various color filters to reflect the mood of various scenes. Check it out...

Any R & H musical is worth seeing! Definitely watch it. I have fairly strong feelings about it, but I think you should watch it first. I don't want to "color" your opinion!!