Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

Good to see you, BHF. While I'm away, I'm really only posting in this thread as I don't have alot of time to post...so it's good to see you here!

I'm glad you liked "Lives of a Bengal Lancer". It's a great film. I think I've said it once before much earlier in this thread...but as much as I ADORE Gary Cooper (an understatement, to say the least!), I also am of the opinion that Franchot Tone really stole the show in that film.

Gary Cooper was his usual great self...but Franchot Tone was brilliant. This, in fact, was the film that got me interested in Franchot Tone...and since I watched this film for the first time, I've really been making an effort to see more Franchot Tone films!

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it. And welcome to this fanatical little gang of Gary Cooper fans! :D

Hi doll! I noticed you were in this one alot, but it's a little intimidating... So many posts! If I had of known that, I would have posted in here sooner :) Thanks for the welcome ;) That's a good idea (keeping it to only one thread). I may have to do that when I go back to college this January... Franchot is a cutie, isn't he? I noticed him first in Today We Live... Another one with the Coop, I believe. So when I saw The Lives of a Bengal Lancer was on and Franchot co-starred, my interest was peeked... Now I'm going back through my dvd library to find Tone movies (where he co-starred). I actually first liked because I thought he resembled R. Montgomery just a little bit... Maybe it's the smile. Sorry to post a pic of Franchot in here, but this is my favorite one. Now I'm going back through my dvd library to find Tone movies (where he co-starred). Good to hear from you... Though I'd be lying to say you aren't missed in other threads! ;) ........................................................................

tone507.jpg

OH YES I just got my computer back on line. I ask for TCM to play "

The Story of Dr. Wassel". Of course I was sick thursday night and missed seeing this movie I really LOVE. I hope that TCM will show it again. But Gary Cooper Fan had the chance to enjoyed a movie that has not been seen for along time.

Some Franchot Tone films I've seen in addition to the ones with Gary Cooper (sometimes supporting roles):

Dangerous - stars with Bette Davis - loved this one

Dancing Lady - supporting role behind Clark Gable and Joan Crawford...but he has a fair amount to do - this is one of my favorite Gable/Crawford films, and Franchot is cute as heck!

Girl From Missouri - stars with Jean Harlow - I like this one alot, although it's definitely a Harlow vehicle.

Love is a Headache - with Gladys George. Cute romantic film.

Three Comrades - with Robert Taylor. Good movie

Fast and Furious - silly story about a beauty pageant...but if you like Franchot, it's worth a peek cus it's not a very long film or anything.

Pilot #5 - One of my favorite Franchot Tone films. I discussed it in the thread about obscure films that are really good. This was my choice in that thread. Great cast.

Her Husband's Affairs - with Lucille Ball. Was shown last month. I didn't really like his character in this one, and the subject matter is dated...but again, worth a peek if you like him.

Every Girl Should be Married - I love this film...but it's chiefly a Cary Grant vehicle. Which is definitely not a bad thing...but Franchot's role is a strong supporting role, really.

I have also caught Franchot in an episode of The Twilight Zone (he was fairly elderly by this time, but he is featured and it's a good episode) and in an episode of Bonanza. So keep a lookout for him elsewhere....especially if you want to see him late in his career.

And don't worry about taking a little detour into Franchot Tone territory. The gang in here is not all obsessive about every single post being on topic.

I mean, our attitude in here is:

Doesn't it ALL come back to Gary Cooper in the end anyway????? ;) *lol*

We are so confident of this simple fact that detours do not make anyone in here feel threatened. ;)

It all comes back to Coop!

BHF---you might like DANGEROUS, the movie Bette Davis won her first Oscar for, in which her leading man is Franchot Tone. It has overtones of her previous film with Leslie Howard, Of Human Bondage, and some have speculated she was really getting the award for that overlooked performance. Anyway, it's one time Tone doesn't have to fight another leading man for the girl. ;)

Dancing Lady is another good one, but like he was to do again and again, he had to lose his real life wife Joan Crawford to Clark Gable.

THREE COMRADES, with Robert Taylor and Robert Young is one more in which he has some good, dramatic lines (written by F. Scott Fitzgerald, no less.)

Glad you're here!

Miss G

I love when Gary plays doctors. The Story of Dr. Wassell was really inspiring and is an underrated C. B. DeMille film. It's about the people and not about spectacle, so maybe that's why it's often overlooked in DeMille's canon.

Gary is very believable as a healer, don't you think? The Hanging Tree is another where he plays a doc but I have never seen this movie and I'm dying to.

Miss G

i echo your sentiments on "detours"---because you are reading the post of Offender Numero Uno in that department! lol! My boyfriend always says I never can stick to one subject. ;)

I think that it's a fair statement to say "all roads lead to...Gary Cooper" anyway!

Miss G

A note to everyone who posts in this thread (and "Your Favorites" in general):

There has been some talk in the other forums about this forum, how it may not be as valuable as the others... This was the second forum I ever visited on this site, and from that time on I have been hooked! This is a great place to talk to others who enjoy the things you enjoy (like Coop! See second post... ;) ). It's not just about who is your favorite actress/actor... You can find info on your fave celebs, find out about films you may have never seen, or collect some interesting photos! Like this thread...

I went all the way back to the first post of this thread and have enjoyed the pictures thoroughly. Especially Miss G's Norman Rockwell portrait of Gary! Awesome!

What I'm trying to say is this forum is gem! Whether people agree or not... They don't know what they are missing... :) And after giving that pic of Tone, I thought I would redeem myself with some of my favorite Gary Cooper pics. Sorry for their size, I even shrunk them a little before putting them on here.

I have to say, everyone wins for the most on-subject discussion! There was hardly a post without the Coop's name in it... Kudos.

bhf1940

Whether others find it valuable or not is not the point, it's the fact that YOU and others enjoy it enough to keep it going with pictures and discussions. As long as it serves to entertain and inform, go for it. It will go away when it is no longer useful. (Then it will pop up months or a year later, just look at some that have recently been resurrected.)

Enjoy.

Well, fortunately for them ( :D ), I'm not reading any of these 'discussions' in other forums about how this forum is useless. While I'm in Europe, I am limiting my participation to this thread...and one or two comments elsewhere if time permits.

However, my one thought is that they probably wouldn't think it was useless if there was a thread like this about THEIR particular favorite star.

People generally find something useless if it's not about THEM. But just like with the TCM schedule...not every thread has to please everyone on this board. And I must admit to being halfway curious as to who is making these complaints, and if they are the same or different people from those continually involved in the "What should TCM be showing?" ongoing battle.

If they (whoever 'they' are) don't like this forum, they don't have to read it and they don't have to post in it. But it would be a shame to begrudge others threads like this one.

I've not looked lately, but last I checked, this thread was one of the most active ones on the board in recent months.

And since we are getting new regulars in this thread all the time, I'm really hoping it stays that way for some time to come!

It's really nice hanging out with folks who love Gary Cooper as much as I do!!!! I've been totally diggin' that. It's not just because of Gary Cooper month that I chose this thread, and this thread alone to continue to watch while out of the country. ;) The bottom line is that this particular group of fans on this board are just a great group. Everyone contributes...and we don't argue. We just have a nice time chatting about Gary Cooper! :)

I like these threads in "Favorites"! Even if the topic is someone I know little about I like to read and join in because I might learn something (like your posts about Bing) and also---I find these threads in the main quite positive. I try to steer clear of controversy on these boards, which isn't easy because I can be very opinionated! :)

I love, love, love your Gary pics----that bottom one in the sepia tones, with the little sailor cap---that may be my next desktop background. He looks like I could crawl right into his lap. ;)

Miss G

It's taken me this long to find folks as nice as this who like that "tall drink of water" as much as I do.

If his daughter, Maria, could see this thread she'd see confirmation how brightly his star still glows with whole new generations.

"Happy thoughts...."

Miss G

I thought I'd ask this of GC fans (and non-fans): who is your favorite of all his leading ladies?

My choice: Marlene Dietrich in Morocco and Desire

Runners up: Theresa Wright in The Pride of the Yankees & Casanova Brown, Ingrid Bergman in Saratoga Trunk, Paulette Goddard in Unconquered, Jean Arthur in Mr. Deeds and The Plainsman.

Ingrid said in her autobiography she had a huge crush on Gary while filming FWTBT. Can't blame the lady. ;)

I also want to mention Julie London in MAN OF THE WEST---I thought she and Coop were very good together (enough so that I don't care for the ending of this movie---but I won't give more away than that).

Miss G