Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Fandango

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

Operator 13 is a very good but rare Cooper film. I taped it off TCM years ago. It's actually a Marion Davies film with Cooper in it. She plays a Civil War spy for the North. He plays a Southern military soldier. It's a clever film and a pretty good spy film.

I HAVE TO SAY I AM A FAN OF COOPER. I LOVED EVERY MOVIE HE WAS IN. HE SUCH A GREAT ACTOR. HE MADE A LOT OF GREAT MOVIE, BUT I ALSO WANT TO SEE GARY COOPER IN A HITCHCOCK FILM, I DO NOT KNOW WHY BUT I FELT THAT HITCHCOCK WILL SHOW A SIDE OF COOPER THAT WE DID NOT SEE, LIKE CARY GRANT, JOSEPH COTTEN AND JAMES STEWART. I HEARD HE WAS OFFER TO PLAY A PART IN Foreign Correspondent (1940) and Saboteur (1942), BUT HE SAID " HE REGRETTED THAT HE DID NOT TAKE THE ROLES TO WORK WITH HITCHCOCK". NOT TO WORRY, THE PERFORMANCE HE GAVE IN ALL OF HIS MOVIES HAVE SATIFY , EVERYONE AND EVEN MORE.

I love The Cowboy and the Lady. Evidently this movie was difficult to put together---several screenwriters and director changes before it finally got made. But it's one of my favorites. Sometimes the most chaotic behind-the-scenes tumult results in the best results, i.e. Casablanca, GWTW, etc...

Along Came Jones is a good one---Coop's only venture as a producer. It's a comical spoof---even the terrible process shots seem deliberately bad. And Gary is so relaxed and funny.

I always wanted MAN OF THE WEST to end differently. ;)

Miss G

> In one of the clips they show Gary dancing with a

> coat. Does anyone know what film this was from? I

> know there must be someone...

>

> bhf1940

Golly, I will have to pay attention the next time that tribute airs because I don't remember ever seeing him do it. Sounds just like something Fred Astair would do! lol

I will get back to you on this.

Miss G

Welcome, Dan! And how I envy you your collection. Except for Unconquered, Bright Leaf and NW Mounted Police, I have not seen any of those on your "wish list". Ten North Frederick has been eluding me. I read the book some time ago and am dying to see it, though it was hard for me to picture Gary in it---I'm so curious!

The Naked Edge was disappointing to me---it was a good try but if Hitchcock had handled it we would have have had a much better film for Gary's swan song. (I believe one of Hitch's screenwriters directed it).

do you have The Hanging Tree on any format? If so, can you tell me where you got it? That's another I'm dying to see, no matter how bad the quality.

"Happy thoughts,"

Miss G

I wish Gary had worked with Hitch, too. I think he would have made a successful partnership with the Master, making for a super-star triumverate: Cary, Gary and Jimmy.

Miss G

I just want to remind any who haven't seen THE REAL GLORY, that it is playing at 2:00 a.m. this Thursday night (Friday morning, actually). It's worth recording. I think it would have gotten much more fan-fare had it been made in color---it just cries out for it. Still, it's a very entertaining romantic-adventure.

Miss G

Over 300 posts on GC---not bad for a guy who hasn't been around for over 45 years.

garysmokes.jpeg

MissGoddess

I do hope you get the chance one day to see Cooper's 1958 film Ten North Frederick, as it's one of his best. I'm also longing to see it again, this time in a widescreen format, as I've only ever seen it in pan and scan tv broadcasts, and as it's a Cinemascope film, I reckon I've missed about 40% of the frame we are supposed to see of it.

Message was edited by:

GOS

I hope we can all benefit soon from a proper dvd release of this rarely seen film.

(That's happened to me many times---now whenever the site seems to be acting a little dodgy, I "copy" my posts just in case they get "lost" in cyberspace).

I get a little discouraged when I hear about titles gettting tied up in litigations. I do hope that's not the case with The Hanging Tree.

I didn't care for Return to Paradise (I have the vhs tape) and Bright Leaf isn't that great either, but it's at least interesting to see him with Patricia Neal again, who this time is playing a baddie. Lauren seemed nervous in her role. She was still cutting her teeth as an actress, I think.

That's so interesting about Bogie and Coop being first choice for O.K. Corral! I never knew that (or forgot). What an interesting teaming. I think Bogie would have made an interesting "Doc" Holiday, along the lines of his "Mad Dog" Earl character in High Sierra.

Miss G

Message was edited by:

MissGoddess

I saw "Return To Paradise" about two years ago. It wasn't all that good but it was the only post 1935 or so film of his I had never seen so I had to watch it.

Hard to imagine Cooper/Bogart in "OK Corral." Frankly they both seem to old no matter how healthy they might have been. It turned out ok anyway.

CoopfanDan said:

Bogart was equally good in the movie Sabrina eventhough he was way to old for the part as was Cooper in Love in the Afternoon, but both movies are classics to me and it is hard to imagine either movie staring someone else.

Hi there, Coopfan! I agree about Love In The Afternoon, I felt Coop too old for the part... Something just didn't fit. I don't know about Sabrina, I haven't seen it yet.

It's sad that this month is coming to an end, it has been wonderful seeing alot of films featuring Gary Cooper that I had never seen. I especially liked seeing some of his pre-codes this month. This has probably already been asked a million times... But of all the films you have seen thus far this month with the Coop, does anyone want to say their favorite? Any one in particular you had not seen before this month that has become a staple in your bag full of Cooper faves? :)

Hi CoopfanDan----I recently received my dvd of THEY CAME TO CODURA and since it's been a long while that I haven't seen it, I can't even recall the exact ending. I don't think I could take it, though, if he died. :(

Miss G

OK, you know I will have to have an answer! lol

If I had to pick just one for discussion's sake, then maybe I would pick the odd-ball Saratoga Trunk. I know it's scarcely his best movie.

Though it isn't a comedy, I find the games that he and Ingrid play with each other to be so funny and entertaining---and convincing. I also like it because he never looked better or sexier (except in his color films).

Can I please choose a #2??? Vera Cruz would be #2. This time the rivalry and growing respect between Coop and Lancaster take precedence over any romantic entaglements. Their onscreen relationship was mirrored off-screen. In one account I've read Lancaster came on the set determined to out-draw Gary but his flashy gun throwing still wasn't quick enough to beat the elder cowboy, and he never tried it again.

Miss G

Hey -

The scene in which he is dancing with his coat is from Pride of the Yankees. He is reliving a moment from the dance he attended the night before when he danced with June Lockart who was pretending to be interested in him.

Hope this helps.

Chuck

WOW!

Great to see so many Cooper fans out there. It's great to have found the TCM community. At times, I think I am the only one who appreciates the classics from Hollywood's golden age and know who people like Gary Cooper were.

Glad that every one here appreciates his talent. He was that rare intuitive performer who had not formal training yet knew exactly how to respond and convey in a convincing genuine manner. He was once asked about his acting technique and he said, "I just try to think hard about my next line." Obviously, there was much more going on behind his acting than this but this certainly seems to speak of his modesty in regards to his craft.

By the way, I have his keychain which my father bought for me at a Hollywood memorabilia shop 25 years ago.

Thanks again for the great posts.

Chuck

Thank you, CK29! For answering my question about the coat dance! :) Thanks for the quote from Cooper, as well... You are not the only one who enjoys Gary Cooper, don't lose hope! There are many of us out there and this message board is certainly the place to meet people with like interests ;)

bhf1940

Welcome, Chuck! As you can see, we find a lot to talk about in Gary Cooper. Which is your favorite of his movies?

And hang on to that precious keychain!

:)

Miss G

Hi all --

Sorry I haven't posted for awhile, but wanted to say WOW what great pics!

Also I bought myself a DVD set that included Peter Ibbetson, so now I can see what all the magic is. (I am not a DVD purchaser, normally, so this is a *big* deal!) Not much in the way of extras, but the Movie Is The Thing, after al.

Also, regarding THE FOUNTAINHEAD -- I thought I'd heard that Ayn Rand really wanted Coop for Howard Roark. Has anyone else heard that story?

Julie

Hi Julie---welcome back! I hope you've been well.

Yes, I've read that Ayn Rand really admired Cooper and thought him the perfect image of her "Howard Roark".

Enjoy Peter Ibbetson, and let us know what you think of it.

Miss G

Thanks, Miss G, I've been fine -- just Christmas running around.

The set also includes Bengal Lancer (I enjoy buddy pictures) and Beau Geste (finally) - and Design for Living - which I haven't seen for AGES - as well as THE GENERAL DIED AT DAWN (of which I know nothing). When I had a 40% off coupon for a box DVD set at Borders . . . well, what can I say?

Julie