Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Fandango

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

I have that box set, too. I love THE GENERAL DIED AT DAWN---an excellent action/mystery movie with the lovely blonde actress, Madeleine Carroll (from The 39 Steps). I still have to get the new Gary Cooper box set that just came out, but as I just purchased three Frank Sinatra dvds, it will have to wait!

Cheers,

Miss G

Oh, I know what you mean! I've seen most of what are in the newer set, so I went for the older one.

Which Sinatra movies? (not to hijack Coop's thread, but. ..)

Julie

Hey Miss G -

Thanks for the welcome. Feels like I've come home.

I fear that my favorite Cooper films are rather pedestrian - the ones everyone puts down. Sgt. York, High Noon, The Lives of a Bengal Lancer, Mr. Deeds, etc.

However, there are two that I love that I don't think are ever given their due - Souls at Sea and Meet John Doe. Not only does Souls at Sea have an intriguing set up and finds Cooper giving one of his best performances but it features George Raft's best performance as well. Never thought the guy could act until I saw this one. As for Meet John Doe, I think it is overshadowed by Capra's other films and I think it is because this one deals with many thorny social issues that have no easy answers and the movie reflects that. 5 endings were shot before the final one was decided upon and it doesn't really work either. However, Cooper and Stanwyck are dynamite and I think it is his most complex turn - funny, moving, subtle-- everything you want in a screen performance.

Have a good New Year's all.

Chuck

Hi Julie,

Actually, just one dvd is a movie: The First Deadly Sin...one of Sinatra's last which I have never seen but have heard his acting is really great in it. The other two have been on my wish list forever: they are from the Reprise "A Man and His Music" concert series. The first, from 1969, features what may be the sexiest teaming of composer and singer: Frank with Antonio Carlos Jobim---and the second dvd contains many of his standards from one of his NBC television specials. Good stuff, which PBS occasionally airs.

Back to Gary---did everyone see him with is little twinkle mustachio last night?? Even so he was too gorgeous. Those exotic adventure movies must have been such fun to make. Like kids dressing up and playing games. What a way to make a living! I'm too thrilled that I finally got The Real Glory on tape. One of his most underrated movies.

Miss G

Souls at Sea is another treasure I haven't seen. Did TCM air it this month? I'm afraid to ask. I have had a busy few weeks and did not get to watch or record many of his films, and may have missed this one. He looked at home on a ship as he did on a horse.

I agree his characterization in John Doe was perfect, and so was the entire cast. I especially respect the duplicity Stanwyck showed in her own character; she basically was becoming Eddie Arnold's mistress in her desire to appease her ambition.

Last night watching scene in Lives of a Bengal Lancer I admired how Gary could reach into character even in an escapist adventure story. His scenes when he argues with C. Aubrey Smith about humanity vs. duty are still resonant.

Isn't interesting all the movies Hollywood used to make about Arabia?

Miss G

I didn't like his little 'stache! The whole time I just wanted to shave it off of him... :D There was one scene where it showed him in the jail standing behind the bars (this was when the weapons were just coming in). That has to be one of the most gorgeous images of Cooper I have ever seen. I wish doctormacro.com would take that shot and put it in their library.

Did anyone notice how light Gary's eyes looked when they were dressed as Arabs? It was when Tone was singing and they were walking along side the camels.

I certainly noticed his eyes. How the other Arabs didn't I don't know! The looked like blue lamps lit by electricity. Oh, I'm getting poetical....;)

Did you ever read Billy Wilder's quote about Cooper and Garbo? I can't remember it word for word, but he claimed that (in their youth) they looked like the same person, especially in the eyes. Now every time I see their early movies I always think about what Billy said!

Miss G

I guess I need to look at this movie a little closer - I thought it was set in India! Bengal Lancers? Good thing I finally have it on DVD.

I love the bit with the snake.

Miss G, I'll be interested in what you think of The First Deadly Sin. I remember really liking the book when it came out - and expected it to be a series of movies for Sinatra - have you heard anything about that?

Julie

I didn't know that several endings to John Doe were considered. You mentioned that the chosen ending doesn't work; I am interested in knowing your reasons. I cry every time I see the feverish Barbara pleading with Cooper not to end his life... if it is worth dying for, it is worth living for... yup, cry like a baby.

Please no more showing for a good while but rater aire 10 N Fredrick Street. And I dont want to hear that they haven't the rights to it. Christ it must be public domaine by now---

Check out Capra's autobiography The Name Above the Title. He talks about having problems with the ending of Meet John Doe and in the edition I read when I was a kid there was a still of them shooting one of the endings they did not use. I believe they were standing in a meat locker (?) or something. Unfortunately, back then studios destroyed footage that wasn't used so seeing these alternate endings is probably not going to happen. If they had DVDs back then, we would be more fortunate in that regard.

You're right in the way the last scene is acted. There is passion there and with Stanwyck as she is, there's no doubt that she could convince John not to kill himself. (Of course, if Barbara Stanwyck were pleading in my arms I'd do about anything she asked me to...)

The initial wave emotion when first seeing the ending makes it seem like it works, but later when you're thinking, "Well, what happens next?" there seems to be far too many questions hanging in the air. Are they able to resurrect the movement? Does Norton continue to thwart them or does he see the light? And, does the Walter Brennan character finally get over his phobia of the heelots?

Interestingly, on the new Sgt. York DVD there is a documentary on the making of York and they mention in passing that there was a backlash against Cooper and Capra from conservatives over the content of Meet John Doe and just to fan they flames they announced they were working on a sequel. The indication is that this was a joke but I think it would have been a project worth perusing.

I have to agree on Meet John Doe... I was left at the end thinking, where's the rest of the movie? There was alot more I wanted to see. I haven't watched the film a second time due to the ending :|

Sometimes, the best stories are ones that leave people questioning and supposing. These kinds of stories get people talking and wondering. Maybe Capra was not satisfied with the ending, but it sure works for me. I love stories about people who just want to make a difference in the world-- I guess as long as the ending is happy, I'm happy!

Does the John Doe movement thrive? Well, my interpretation is that it does because the soda guy and his wife were at the top of the building as well, right? I think their presence is symbolic of the continuation of John Doe clubs. However, I do agree about the sidekick-- I always wondered where he went. But usually I am so busy crying at the end that I don't care. I also agree with you about Barbara Stanwyk. She is one of my favorite actresses!

Happy New Year everyone!

Another point: Just how come there never was a sequel? Of course in those days that was almost unheard of. When a film was done it was just that, done. Today sequels are made from the dumbest themes. Oh well---

I think the ending of Meet John Doe is just fine. I don't feel like every question has to be wrapped up. As it was, it was a little over 2 hours in length. There are lots of movies that leave you wondering whatever happened to......... I think the ending to National Velvet is a little abrupt though. I wouldn't have minded another 5 or 10 minutes added to that to find out what happens after Liz Taylor tracks down Mickey Rooney. Or what happens with Bette Davis and the little girl after the end of Now, Voyager. But you have to draw the line somewhere, not every film can or should be Ben Hur or Lawrence Of Arabia length.

And Leo, are you kidding me? There have been sequels since there have been movies. The whole Andy Hardy series, for one.

Message was edited by:

bradtexasranger

Now Voyager... Now you're talking! Great film! Not only do I love movies about people who are making the world a better place, I'm a sucker for movies about "the (nice) other woman." Clearly, the Bette Davis character and the man she fell in love with are a great couple who belong together...but!

Have any of you seen the movie about another nice other woman (I'm not very good with names or titles..)in which the housewife takes a train into London once a week, gets something in her eye, and a doctor at the train station helps her? They end up meeting each week and fall in love. I love that movie because neither of them set out to have an affair... it just happened. Great love story. (A departure from Gary Cooper; my apologies.)

Hi Julie---I never heard about The First Deadly Sin leading into a series of movies---that would have been interesting. He was good at playing detective types and I can't wait to see it. I never read the book.

Miss G

Yes, you are correct it is set in India but I kind of lump all of those middle/far east adventure movies in one genre (and they didn't seem too particular about authenticity as far as costumes, lol!). I wish they still made them but the political climate now would never allow it.

Miss G

> Have any of you seen the movie about another nice

> other woman (I'm not very good with names or

> titles..)in which the housewife takes a train into

> London once a week, gets something in her eye, and a

> doctor at the train station helps her? They end up

> meeting each week and fall in love. I love that movie

> because neither of them set out to have an affair...

> it just happened. Great love story. (A departure

> from Gary Cooper; my apologies.)

No worries about departing from the theme around here---we love to "segue"! ;)

The movie you are describing is Noel Coward's classic, BRIEF ENCOUNTER.

And welcome!

I love Gary Cooper! I have a soft spot for Love in the Afternoon because it was my introduction to Gary Cooper(Audrey Hepburn was really my introduction into the world of classic films)

Interesting what I'm reading here about Meet John Doe.....I had never really thought about the ending that way.

I watched Gary with a "redheaded woman" last night---They Came to Codura with Rita Hayworth. And Van Heflin, who costarred, started singing "Red Headed Woman" to her! Very funny.

I hadn't seen it in so long it was new to me again. What an agonzing experience, watching that poor man suffer to get those bums to Codura. It's one film that should silence any fair-minded critic who tries to say Rita Hayworth couldn't act. She's splendid.

We kept saying "If John Wayne had starred instead of Gary, he would have shot all of those guys before they got half-way to Codura!" Ha ha! It's true, you almost wished Gary would stop being so long-suffering, but of course, he was right.

Miss G