Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Fandango

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

I think PETER IBBETSON is one of the great surrealistic films. I'm glad it has been released on DVD as part of the Gary Cooper collection, since it shows it's available, but I'm waiting for it to come out solo.

Hi guys! I'm back again! Been in Rome and Florence, where I've not no internet access in my hotels, so I wasn't able to post.

Hope you all are well! :)

Been in Rome and Florence, where I've not no internet access in my hotels,

I'm suprised Georgia (Rome) and South Carolina/Alabama (Florence) couldn't provide you with that!!

Buon ritorno!

Welcome back! It's been quiet here. But being in those two wonderful cities is AMPLE compensation for missing the internet! I hope you had lovely weather. It was 70 degrees in Manhattan on Saturday! I was too thrilled.

Miss G

Well, an update on the activities of my DVD recorder while I was gone.

I ended up getting my recordings of "The Story of Dr. Wassell", "One Sunday Afternoon" (neither of which I've seen) and "The Wedding Night" (which I've seen, but did not have a good copy of).

My DVD recorder did not record "Make Me a Star" for some reason...but I think TiVo recorded it...and so hopefully I can transfer the recording to my DVD recorder and get it that way, with a bit of messing around.

So overall, my recording schedule worked out okay while I was gone. Only missed one film...and I hope to be able to salvage that one from TiVo.

While I was gone, I watched "Cloak and Dagger", "Desire", and "Today We Live" on my mini-DVD player. All were pretty good, although I had expected "Today We Live" to be better than it was, given the cast.

I'm gonna try to get to "The Story of Dr. Wassell" during the next week somehow! I've really been looking forward to that film!

That's marvelous that you have Tivo as a "back-up"! I missed recording One Sunday Afternoon and Make Me a Star, unfortunately, and I've seen neither.

I really like the Story of Dr. Wassell, which is loosely based on a true story. Gary is wonderful at playing caring, healing types of men.

Today We Live gives me unintentional giggles sometimes, because of the rather poor attempts at English accents. The dialogue coach or director must have instructed them to speak halt-ing-ly, with a great many pauses, thinking that gives the effect of British posh-speak. ;) It would have been immeasurably better had they just spoken naturally. Oddly, Gary is the only one who sounds OK. I can't remember if that's because his character wasn't English? At any rate, he already had a unique speech pattern developed by then, but the others suffered "in translation". ;)

Miss G

Well, maybe you and I can work out a trade or something. I did that with someone else here and it worked quite nicely.

I know you've seen alot of Gary Cooper films that I haven't seen. Don't know if you have copies of them though...or can make copies.

Let me know and maybe we can work something out. I know I have "One Sunday Afternoon"...and I'll check to make sure I can transfer "Make Me a Star" to my DVD recorder. Neither are films they are likely to show again in the next few months or anything - now they will probably go back to their rotation of "Pride of the Yankees", "Sergeant York" and "Ball of Fire"...all of which I LOVE, mind you....but it sure would be nice to see some of the less popular films more often too.

Oh...and yeah....Gary's character in "Today We Live" is not British. He's American.

Thank goodness.

I'm not sure I could believe Gary Cooper with a British accent...even if he did it well! He's just too American for me! *lol*

I am seriously considering getting a dvd recorder, because many of my vhs tapes of movies that may never get to dvd are becoming more and more degraded with time. Hopefully I can make the purchase in the next six months or so, depending on a number of things. But, as soon as I do, I will happily make copies of what I have and be glad to swap with you!

I want to get a dvd player that is all-region, too, but many advise me it is best to get your recorder separately instead of the combination. So I really have two items to get for my "home theater" (how grandiose that sounds! It's just space on two shelves!). :)

Miss G

I like Audrey Hepburn's line in Love in the Afternoon: "He has such an American face...like a cowboy, or Abraham Lincoln!"

And yet, his people came from England and he studied there for a bit. You can see it in his fairness and height.

Miss G

Thinking again about that line from Love in the Afternoon, it made me consider how in the golden age of Hollywood so many roles were crafted specifically for the star in mind. Billy and I.A.L. Diamond, who I believe he co-wrote the script with, must have written that line with Cooper in mind---once he was cast in the part. And audiences could be at one with the writers, joining in on the joke as it were. How many times have we seen an allusion to Cary Grant's good looks in his films? There are many examples.

Wilder also wrote the script for Lubitsch's Ninotchka, which contained the lines cheekily alluding to Garbo's mystique:

Maid: "Do you want to be alone?

Garbo: "No!"

Another reason I love the classics. :)

Miss G.:

You must get a dvd recorder... It's the best money I have spent in a long time. VHS is so lacking compared to them. I still don't have a way of making copies of my dvd-r's, my computer has no dvd drive. That is how you make copies, right?

On a different note, I saw The Wedding Night and was a little disappointed with it. I have to say Gary Cooper was gorgeous in this movie! Whew...

Oh I see! So I need to be able to "burn" dvd's from my computer? They don't make dvd recorders that do that? Another question I will be sure to cover when I'm ready to make the purchase. I feel sorry for whoever will be my salesperson at the store. ;)

I need to catch up on the technology, that's for sure. I just hope something new doesn't crop up and make dvds obsolete!

I find that the leading lady, Anna Sten, is what makes The Wedding Night a bit draggy. Poor thing, the studio really pushed for her to become a star like Garbo or Dietrich but she just didn't "click" with the audiences.

Miss G

Okey-dokey. Here is the scoop on DVD recorders/computers.

A DVD recorder will record a program/film off of your TV onto it's hard disk (or directly onto a DVD-R, but no reason to do that if you have a hard disk on your DVD recorder). Once it's on your DVD recorder's hard disk, you can edit it - snip out Robert Osbourne chats, make 'chapter' breaks, etc.

Then you can burn the edited program from the DVD recorder's hard disk to a DVD-R using the DVD recorder's DVD burning drive (there is normally only ONE drive, so you have to burn from hard disk to DVD-R here). You can make multiple copies, of course...so you can make one to keep and others to trade or whatever.

Then, when you are finished burning as many copies as you like, you delete the film from your DVD recorder's hard drive. You have to do this or the hard drive will become full and you won't be able to record further programming.

Once a film is deleted from the DVD recorder's hard disk, the only way to make another copy is to burn a copy on your computer - you will need a DVD burning drive for that.

You put your DVD-R copy of the film in one drive...and a blank DVD-R in the burning drive...and you can copy the film.

I hope that explains it clearly.

> Oh I see! So I need to be able to "burn" dvd's from

> my computer? They don't make dvd recorders that do

> that? Another question I will be sure to cover when

> I'm ready to make the purchase. I feel sorry for

> whoever will be my salesperson at the store. ;)

>

> I need to catch up on the technology, that's for

> sure. I just hope something new doesn't crop up and

> make dvds obsolete!

LOL! Another thing we have in common, Miss G... I have no idea how to do anything technological... It's taken me nearly a year just to learn how to use this message board. But I am happy to say I learned how to use a dvd-r, though I have to add I'm not sure how you make copies. I know from the people that have burned copies for me do it off of the computer. I'm not sure if you can buy a dvd recorder that will do that for you... I'm guessing it would have to have two drives, though; in order to perform such an operation. I know they have the combos with VHS and you can transfer from VHS to dvd.

bhf1940

Gary Cooper is gorgeous in just about every film from this era. :P

And he's even quite handsome once he gets older, in the late 1950's. ;)

High-end Consumer Electronics R Us. ;)

(In case you are wondering, my ex-boyfriend loved high-end consumer electronics...but had no money. I had money, however, and bought all this stuff for us. When we split, I got custody of all this stuff....and had to learn how to work it all.)

I should really know this stuff, my bro works at a huge computer company :P I have no excuse!

I think the thing I love so much about the pre-code Gary Cooper was how light his eyes were and how dark his hair was. I think it makes him look very exotic. Though men with eye shadow can be considered by some a little creepy, I like it in the early pictures... Makes those eyes pop!

I have a DVD Recorder/VCR and it is not that hard. If you are recording to a DVD it's not really any different than to a tape. My machine leads fairly easily in the copying process. It allows copying from either source. It's not that hard. You'll be fine.

Most DVD recorders, from what I've heard, will copy from a separate VCR with the right cables hooking them up.

Chris

Chris, that actually helps me alot (not just the encouragement, but the info as well). I never thought about hooking up a separate source to my recorder. I'm really new at all this, so its all in the learning process.

Danny

I still don't have a way of making copies of my dvd-r's, my computer has no dvd drive. That is how you make copies, right?

I haven't finished reading the thread, so maybe someone has already responded, but yes.......

Wal-Mart (for one) has HP and Sony DVD drives for computers at $70 or less. These newest ones will do double-layer (which I haven't tried yet), RAM, everything (+ and -). If your machine already has a DVD-ROM that's even better, since you can read and record at the same time, but the newest ones are so fast (up to 16X) that it's no real problem to use one drive to read and then copy from the hard drive back to a DVD. All that's if you have a home-made DVD (not a commercial one - most won't copy without doing stuff we shouldn't) and want a copy.

And definitely have separate players (cheap as $30 now) and recorders (under $100, not with hard-disc, though; but you get what you pay for, mostly) -- if one breaks, the other's still useful. And, at $30, disposable!

And, another good thing about the hard-drive recorders - if you MUST get something from AMC (or other commercial-playing channels, like BBC/America), then at least you can edit out the commercials before they get to disc!

Thank you for taking the time to explain dvd-r's! That does clear it up for me perfectly. :)