Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

Fandango

Hi Mr Jordan!

I am enormously fond of *Ten North Frederick* for what I consider what may be Gary Cooper's best acting performance, at least as good as his work in *High Noon* and Man of the West. I wish it would at least come to dvd and perhaps more people can discover his remarkable "Joe Chapin", a character I believe would be easy to identify with for many American men.

I also love *The Fountainhead* because of Vidor's no-holes-barred visual approach to the characters and the beauty of the set design.

Man of the West is my favorite of Gary's westerns, along with The Hanging Tree and Garden of Evil.

That is high. I'm still looking for a gallery-quality print of my favorite photo (the one with the ciggie). I found this other one, below, available at Conde Nast but the prices are similar to that of the Ebay photo. If I'm ever going to pay that kind of money it will have to be for the one I want and no less.

coop-condenastprintbyhoyhume.jpg

Wow!!! That is a beautiful pic! I've seen one like it but it was cropped more and you couldn't see that much of him and it wasn't nearly as sharp looking. If I'm paying that much for a pic of him it better also be signed by him :). One of these days I'm gonna get a nice autographed pic but they are quite expensive and I want to be sure it's genuine before I shell out that much money.

Thanks for the welcome butterscotchgreer (is that as in Garson?) In addition to the movies already mentioned I must add Desire, The Wedding Night, Unconquered, Morocco and so on and so forth!

Speaking of faves I'm still debating if I should buy High Noon for the 8th time .. since it promises a better picture of course I'll get it!

Message was edited by: MrJordan

*I was talking to Theresa when I found that Only the Brave pic and I started giggling uncontrollably and it was a couple minutes before I could compose myself*

YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT!! heehee!

everytime she goes on ebay, no matter what we are talking about, if she finds a gary pic that is steamy for her, she starts giggling and i have t pry her away fro the computer. heehee! hey im just picking on ya!....but really its true! ;) you were right, the horsey pic is frommelody jones and it is a steamy pic and my goodness can i fall over now?

Message was edited by: butterscotchgreer

*Thanks for the welcome butterscotchgreer (is that as in Garson?) In addition to the movies already mentioned I must add Desire, The Wedding Night, Unconquered, Morocco and so on and so forth!*

*Speaking of faves I'm still debating if I should buy High Noon for the 8th time .. since it promises a better picture of course I'll get it!*

hey jordan!!!

yes greer garson is my favorite actress! heehee! do you know any of her films? you like a lot of gary's great movies! of course i cant say much against any of them, b/c he is equally great in all of them. if i dont like one of his movies as much, it is because if his leading actress. oh you must buy High Noon if not many others.

okay ang, here's that comic strip from Hi and Lois that i told you about over the phone. they dont say anything about Gary, but i so hoped they did and i looked good and hard for his name, but they never showed it! banana oil! heehee! but guess who they do mention? ;)....just thorw out the fact that they mention the Duke. i know you arent too fond of that guy.heehee!

rxn016-1.jpg

That's such a cute cartoon! It's funny because a lot of people my generation and younger (Theresa's age) care more about these old movies than our parents. My parents were never into these movies and my Mother is still reluctant to watch them.

that cartoon was made in 1976. heehee! so that might have a wee bit to do with it. i freaked when i saw greer's name there though. heehee! i think kim would appreciate that cartoon also! ;)

im still trying to expand my own mother's horizons. she watches a bit of old movies, but only a slect few. she is getting better though. but she keeps watching the same ones over and over and over. each day she puts on Errol Flynn, or Gene Kelly, or Peter Lawford, i put on The Ballad of Josie the other day with Doris Day and she said she didnt want to watch it, so she went to make dinner, but she was listening to the movie and about five minutes later she wanted to know what happened at the end. goodness! she could at least be pstient enough to watch the whole thing first. see she does like them, but i have to plea with her on my knees! heehee!

oh i almost forgot.....this is what happens when my computer at home wont let me onto this thread mysteriously. heehee! i have to catch up....its a moral imperative! ;)

anywho, here's the article i promised with gary and the bobby-soxers. i just love this! and it was written while he was making MELODY JONES!! yay! and there's one with Roddy McDowell too! oh!

rxn017.jpg

rxn018.jpg

sweet mama!! i forgot the rest of it. heehee!

rxn019.jpg

rxn021.jpg

The cartoon and the article were great!! He was cracking me up about the producer and star getting along ;). Also when he said he was late and had to give himself a severe talking to, it made me think of my dad?s corny sense of humor :). It also said it was his first time to sing in a movie but we all know that?s not true. His very first line in *The Virginian* is him singing. He also sang a little in *Desire*, *One Sunday Afternoon*, *Souls at Sea*, and *Bluebeard?s Eighth Wife* before making *Along Came Jones*.

I love the ads too! Sometimes they are the best parts of those old movie mags. I may have to send off for that pamphlet so I can learn the difference between sex and love ;). Also that glow in the dark sweetheart pin looked pretty spiffy. Do you think they could make me one that said ?Angie and Gary??

Reading that article temporarily took my mind off the fact that we have some mice running around our office. The department to the right of us is moving next week and they?ve been packing up their stuff and I suspect they came from over there, maybe from behind their big file cabinets that have just been moved. Exterminators are coming but until then everybody is pretty freaked out. One guy who sits two cubes behind me saw one in his cube this morning and he yelled ?there it is!!? and then we all jumped up and ran to the other side. Me and a couple of the other women sat up on one of the tables for a while but eventually we had to go back to work. Everybody is still pretty jumpy though and I?m really glad the weekend is nearly here.

*Do you think they could make me one that said ?Angie and Gary??*

stand in line sis! heehee!

*I may have to send off for that pamphlet so I can learn the difference between sex and love . Also that glow in the dark sweetheart pin looked pretty spiffy.*

yeah i bet that pin would fit real great in the rest of your collection of pretty pins. hey you could see them all in the dark with that one beside them. ;)

im still trying to gather my thoughts on the pamphlet about sex and love. heehee! that one made me crack up!

how i would have kloved to see you jump up on your desk! i would have been laughing hysterically probably! i bet you couldnt stop giggling after that! i could just see it! ;) let me know when the exterminator comes, so i can tell them to give me some of the mice to put in frankie's bed. heehee! i hope he didnt hear me say that!

the singing part is why i love that article so much! i just loved when he sang to me in Melody Jones, and then when i heard him sing in The Virginian, i just went to pieces in front of my little TV.

I got an Oct 1939 issue of *Screen Guide* magazine and it's got an article about Gary. It's mostly pictures of his career up to that point with little captions for them. One that really cracked me up was "Lanky Gary Cooper is an awkward lover, but word is that he's an ideal husband!". If they switched "ideal" and "awkward" that would make much more sense ;). As far as the 'awkward lover' thing goes, they were talking about his nervousness in doing romantic scenes in movies.

Under a pic of him and Lupe it said "Romance involved Gary several times before he married Sandra Shaw in '33. Year before he had run around with Lupe Velez and others; since then no gossip has touched him."

It's interesting to read this stuff and see what people's perception was of the different movie stars when they were working. We know now that Gary cheated on his wife but it was not public knowlegde back then. I would much rather go back to those days when the stars still had some privacy and the public didn't know every single dirty detail about their lives. I really don't need to know everytime Britney Spears goes into a 7-11 barefoot ;).

Here are a couple good pics from the magazine. The first one is a beautiful color pic from *The Real Glory* (this is the reason I bought it :x ) and the second one is from *Barbara Worth*. The dvd cover for *The Real Glory* shows Gary wearing a light blue shirt and khaki pants and I figured they were just taking some artistic liberty with that but then here he is from that movie wearing those same colors - neat!

IMG_4537.jpg

IMG_4539.jpg

I was doing my regular ebay sweep this evening ;), and I found some great pics!!

*Bengal Lancer*

BG1511.jpg

*Bengal Lancer ? my goodness!*

BG1512.jpg

*Only the Brave*

BG1485.jpg

*Desire*

BG1496.jpg

*The Spoilers*

BG1487.jpg

*Now and Forever*

BG1477.jpg

*Nevada*

BG1484.jpg

*Arizona Bound*

BG1486.jpg

*City Streets*

BG1490.jpg

*Now and Forever*

BG1513.jpg

*Nevada*

BG984.jpg

I read this week that Shirley Temple just celebrated her 80th birthday (By breaking her arm unfortunately). With the recent passing of Richard Widmark and Charlton Heston I got to thinking how many of Gary's "A" list co-stars are still with us. I can think of Ernest Borgnine, best actor oscar winner for "Marty", Lauren Bacall, and of course Patricia Neal. They are the ones I can think of on the top of my head. I've always enjoyed reading his co-stars bio's just to see if they have any personal anecdotes about Coop.