Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

Fandango

Getting your mom into Gary Cooper will be the easiest task on earth, once you get her to see even ONE of his films.

I remember the first time I watched "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town"...I thought, "Good lord, man...where have you BEEN all my life!???"

I fell totally in love with this man.

*lol*

> Getting your mom into Gary Cooper will be the easiest

> task on earth, once you get her to see even ONE of

> his films.

>

>

You'd think, right? My Mom has always been in love with cowboys and the West, so it should be a natural fit!

Heck yeah! Show her "The Westerner" - that is such a great film...and he was still at his most babe-alicious then. Not to mention, his character is so doggone CUTE in that movie.

The only actor around who could pull off being a CUTE cowboy...and still maintain the tough-guy dignity aspect while doing it.

That's a good choice. When I get the dvd player I'm going to assemble a collection of dvds. I can include: The Westerner, and Vera Cruz (because she likes color and I think she'll enjoy the humor); Once Upon a Time in the West (it's her favorite western); GWTW (because it's one of her favorites), and a couple of Robert Redford movies (her favorite actor) like Brubaker (she likes this movie for some reason---too grim for me) and Barefoot in the Park (because it's my favorite RR movie.). Should be fun!

Miss G

My favorite scene in The Westerner is the "wooing" scene, if you can call it that, when Gary and Doris Davenport are leaning against that rail and he's trying to get a lock of her hair. These kinds of "quiet" scenes I think are one of Wyler's hallmarks. He can cram so many nuances into a few intimate moments better than most directors.

Miss G

Hi Everyone,

FYI, I just learned that Maria Cooper is participating in another upcoming documentary on her father, this time on one centered on the making of High Noon. It is called Inside High Noon, and so far they have Pres. Bill Clinton, Tim Zinneman (director Fred Zinneman's son), Jonathan Foreman (screenwriter Carl Foreman's son) and even Prince Albert of Monaco (!) on board to contribute. Not much more info. than that, as yet.

http://www.modaentertainment.com/docuhighnoon.html

Wheee!!!!! :D

Excellent news! I am *way* greedy for anything Maria does for her dad. I just loved her bit for SOTM! And of course, her book.

I guess she must be in her 60's by now...and I'm really glad she is doing all of this stuff. I mean, she's the one person who is still around who REALLY knew him. So anything she says about him or does for him will always be top priority for me!

Rockin' good news! :D

Both of these will be great - especially because they are likely to show different 'angles' on Coop's life. I really hope they keep churnin' out this stuff.

But the good news is that I think that from what we've seen from Maria, she is pretty determined to preserve her father's legacy. Which is, IMO, WAY good for us fans!

It always seems like there is so much more stuff written (as one example) on the more controversial stars. As many of you know, I'm an Errol Flynn collector...and lemme tell you, there are *tons* of books on Flynn (and even more on Chaplin...but that's another whole story. *lol*). Somewhere up in the high 40's, at last count, IIRC - and that's just in English. Now, it's true that a handful of those are hack jobs that as so full of lies that they never should have seen the light of day...but when you look at this huge stack of Flynn books compared with the number that have been written on Coop (I think I've discovered about 15 - 20 so far - I've not counted lately), it's pretty clear that authors LOVE the stars with the more controversial lifestyles, the more tragic ends, etc.

I suppose that's to be expected...but I'm really pleased that Maria is doing what she can to make sure Coop is remembered...and his life is well-documented.

That's very true about the "controversial" stars. My other great "love" is Frank Sinatra and there is practically an entire industry devoted to showing you all his warts, his friends warts, his lovers' warts, his manager's warts, his valet's warts...and on and on to the guy who spit-shined his shoes. His daughter, Nancy, tries hard to keep his name forward in a positve way and has (or had---I haven't visited in a couple of years) a website where she even posted answers to fans' questions.

Maria's job is much easier. And I'd love to be her "assistant"! lol!

Miss G

This is my first post and I have recently, absolutely fallen in love with Coop. For me it was Meet John Doe. He had been on the screen for maybe a couple minutes and I was won over. That was this past December when he was the star of the month and since then I have gotten about 25 of his movies on dvd and I'm expecting more in the mail right now :) I'm 30 and I don't know how I've missed him all my life but I'm sure glad I finally found him. I also found a website where you can get most of his movies on dvd-r that aren't commercially available. I found the site from another post here and it's www.bpm123.net. This person has thousands of rare movies and I ordered Lilac Time and The Virginian. I hope they are good quality and if so I'm gonna order lots more. Well I'm off to watch The General Died at Dawn (again!).

Hi coopsgirl! Welcome! So much Coop loving in this thread it would be sickening to an outsider... ;) Thanks for the site, does it offer movies other than Coop's? I'm going to check it out and see. If you want to see some good Coop pictures (other than this thread), check out the high quality pics over at simplyclassics.net. They have some excellent things to offer, and all you have to do is register. Hope you like the site here, this is a great board!

Glad you found us!

bhf1940

HI Coopsgirl! I only "found" Gary Cooper to my everlasting delight in the last couple of years. Before, I don't know why, I just didn't notice him. But now he's numero uno among the Hollywood stars. I hope you enjoy this forum, there are lots of great contributors here and on many other threads.

P.S. I've ordered from that site you mentioned and agree it is an invaluable source for films that otherwise don't see the light of day.

Miss G

Hi Coopsgirl!

Good to have you here. Welcome to the board, and to this thread. I think you will find...erm....lots of company here! :)

Well, gang, this weekend I got back to working with classic film stars in Photoshop, and made a couple of Gary Cooper icons (as well as a Cary Grant icon).

If you wanna see 'em, they are in the usual place in my graphics journal at LJ, which is here:

http://charlie-bowtie.livejournal.com/

Coopsgirl, since you are new, I'll tell you - I do alot of work in Photoshop, and I'd say that Gary Cooper, Errol Flynn and Rudolph Valentino are probably my favorite subjects. If you flip back through that LJ and see anything on there that you like (like a desktop, for example) that is shown in only a thumbnail version there, feel free to ask me and I can email you the full scale version.

Also, if any of you are on LJ, let me know because I have started a Gary Cooper group there and am looking for members. I just reserved the name and set it up last week, but haven't done anything with it yet. I guess I need to figure out how you 'advertise' on LJ! *lol* But at least the name gary_cooper is reserved so that it won't get taken by someone who'll do something stupid with it. :D

Oh...and here is another site where you can buy some Gary Cooper films:

http://www.forgottenfilms.biz/home.php

You can pull him up under actors and it will give you about 4 films...but I think there are others on there that somehow escape the search so if you root around, you might find more.

It would be cool to set up a film swap sometime if we could work it out. Might save everyone some money. :)

Hi Pktrekgirl---thanks for that link, I've bookmarked that site. I tried to look at your LJ page but the pictures didn't show (red "X's" only) but will keep trying (our internet is a little sluggish this morning). What have you decided to call the Gary Cooper group? Keep us posted about it and I will try to participate, too. :)

**** I just tried your LJ again and this time the pictures came up. They're really lovely! I like the Cary Grant one. "Every girl's dream..." Amen to that!

Miss G

Message was edited by:

MissGoddess

I love that photo of Cary Grant and have been meaning to do something with it for quite some time. It's a great photo!

But all of these photos you guys have been posting of Coop - I have a whole folder full of 'em that I'm itching to do something with. If I had time I'd do another desktop, cus these photos are beautiful!

I'd like to get ahold of some CLEAR, COLOR photos of Coop, if anyone has 'em. I have the few that have been posted in this thread, but I'm hoping for something better. Surely there has to be some screencaps around somewhere from one of his color films - maybe "The Story of Dr. Wassell" or something????

Someone needs to screencap that film. And a few others I can think of as well, for that matter.

I should really do an entire website - I've got lots of ideas.

Yeah...like I have time to do *that*. *rolleyes at self*

And the group at LiveJournal is called gary_cooper, MissG. The title page name (for which I was getting suggestions last week) isn't decided yet (although I DO love that "Cooper's Troopers" name!)....but I wanted the group to be simply gary_cooper so that it would be easy to find in a search of LJ.

Right now I'm just working on the color scheme and the intro stuff. But hopefully I'll get a few members in there and then we can have some fun.

I think the hardest thing will be to get the first few members. If I can do that, then the group will be active and others will join. People don't join 'dead' groups on LJ.

What you've done so far looks good---I especially like the "Morocco" icon. I know what you mean about the scarcity of good, color photos of GC. Considering he did several, popular Technicolor films I'm surprised there aren't more hi-quality screen captures available. For Whom the Bell Tolls is another in which he looked gorgeous in color. In fact, I think he's at his handsomest in this film.

I hope the GC Live Journal is a success. :)

P.S. I love the title, "Flynnanigans"---so apt for the subject! I recently found many gorgeous pix of Gary and Errol at www.simplyclassics.net Have you visited that site? You have to register (free) to view the pix but they are good quality.

Miss G

Well, I don't know how familiar you are with Errol Flynn...but he was the one who actually coined that term "Flynnanigans". In fact, I think I remember him writing in My Wicked, Wicked Ways how he got himself in hot water at one point and promised one of his much-annoyed directors that "there would be no more Flynnanigans". *lol*

The great thing about Errol Flynn is that he could laugh at himself. :D

And the name "Charlie Bowtie" is his too. He sometimes referred to himself as Charlie Bowtie - and was thinking of calling My Wicked, Wicked Ways something along the lines of The Adventures of Charlie Bowtie.

Errol Flynn trivia of the day. :D

Oh...and I agree with you on screencaps from "For Whom the Bell Tolls". There are a ton of potentially great screencaps in that film.

In fact, in Maria Cooper's bio-bit from SOTM, there is a great close-up of him, where you can really see the blue of his eyes. And I'm 99% sure it's from "For Whom the Bell Tolls".

I NEED that photo. I need it BAD. *lol*

I'm still in the midst of reading that jolly book. He was such a fascinating character. What a life! He crammed more living into one day than most do in a lifetime. I find it ironic that so few people believed him at the time when he would tell of his adventures before coming to Hollywood. That's what made him such a natural in those larger-than-life period adventures. He really was from another era.

"Flynnanigans". Perfect!

Miss G

Archived