Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Fandango

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

Actually, they didn't resemble each other at all. Moreover, Cooper didn't have the physique of an athlete, and it showed.

I've said for years that the only actor who should have played Gehrig was Robert Montgomery. Not only did two men look enough alike to be brothers (though, to be fair, the actor who most looked like Gehrig was Warner Bros. stock player George Tobias), Montgomery was, like Gehrig, from New York City, and had the same urban quality in his streetwise voice, mannerisms and bearing (compared to Cooper's Montana-British upbringing and education).

Montgomery was closer in age to Gehrig (11 months younger, versus Cooper's 25 months older), and had played a boxer in HERE COMES MR JORDAN (1941); there was no questioning his being able to look like an athlete.

I had much the same conversation with Samuel Goldwyn, jr., last year at a screening of the film at the Motion Picture Academy. Not surprisingly, he wasn't inclined to second-guess his father's casting choices sixty-three years later.

Please bear in mind that Montgomery's never been a particular favorite of mine, but when an actor's right for a part, he's right.

How great to discover this appreciation of Gary Cooper and the erstwhile Stella!

My favorite Gary Cooper movie is For Whom the Bell Tolls. He and Ingrid Bergman were glorious in that film--the unusually rich technicolor tones in that movie captured their individual beauty and the mountain setting of Hemingway's story beautifully. The last scene always make me choke up.

As for Stella, I hope that she'll come back someday soon, bringing her mischievous spirit and wealth of knowledge. It may not be Tennesee Williams, but only warmed over William Inge--but...Come Back, Little Stella!

:)

If you'd like a taste of Stella's infinite variety, you might like to check out this link:

http://forums.turnerclassicmovies.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=32303&start=90&tstart=0

Miss Finnie, you know you can always hit the "edit" button and fix past errors. I've been known to fix my many gaffs after posting. The edit button is one of my favorite TCM features! ;)

Hi Cinesage, Jr.

Katina Paxinou -- now there's a name that one doesn't hear rolling off the tongue every day!!

I only saw her in one movie, "The Miracle" with Carroll Baker and she (KP) was playing a fiery old gypsy mama with a gun yet.....

CB was a runaway nun going after James Bond -er- Roger Moore!! and, a statue takes the nun's place in the convent.

What a mixed up story that was but Katina was great, shooting up the place.

I think she won an Oscar once but surely not for this film!!!!!!!!

Larry

Message was edited by:

vecchiolarry

Hi again,

I see further down here that you refer to Gary Cooper as a 'pony'.

I once read an interesting story about Clara Bow and in it she says, "Gary is hung like a horse and can go all night!"......

Maybe he wasn't such a pony in all departments??

Larry

What a mixed up story that was but Katina was great, shooting up the place.

I think she won an Oscar once but surely not for this film!!!!!!!!

Paxinou won her Best Supporting Actress Oscar for FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS, with Cooper and Ingrid Bergman.

Gary Cooper: The Signature Collection (from Turner Entertainment Co. and Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.) includes the following DVDs:

* Sergeant York (1941) - Two-disc Special Edition

* The Fountainhead (1949)

* Dallas (1950)

* Springfield Rifle (1952)

* The Wreck of the Mary Deare (1959)

I have two copies of this set (which went on sale today) that I'll be giving away via a sweepstakes drawing on my website. Enter today for your chance to win @

http://www.classicfilmguide.com/index.php?s=movie_indexA

Good luck!

I just got my December "Now Playing", and haven't searched it yet, but it would be nice if TCM could show some of Gary Cooper's Paramount films like THE VIRGINIAN (1929), or CITY STREETS (1931), or even his cameo appearence in IF I HAD A MILLION (1932). I'd love to see CHILDREN OF DIVORCE (1928), with Cooper and Clara Bow!

Oh yes! I would also love to see some of Gary Cooper's earlier Paramount films

like The Virginian and City Streets. We are always exposed to his later efforts but nothing from the earlier years. And what a treat if TCM could lease "Children Of Divorce" with

Coop and Clara Bow. It's a shame that this silent film with two great stars sits in mothballs.

It has been restored and it is out there.

(I hope this takes, my last attempt didn't and it was a longer post! lol!)

Shame on me for waiting so long to post about my favorite actor and the man I consider the best looking I've ever seen on or off screen (and there were plenty of gorgeous stars in Hollywood in his day). One thing I want to bring out is that many of Coop's contemporaries both in front of and behind the camera believed him to be the greatest actor in cinema. John Barrymore was among them. His naturalistic style which he developed for himself was refreshing and honest, though it has since had its detractors---some calling him "wooden" at times. However, I think that impression comes from seeing only a few of his movies and without paying close attention---when you see the broad spectrum of his work and do pay attention, you can catch the artistry and the magic that made him one of the biggest all-time superstars.

Cooper was always very modest about his career (he originally wanted to become an illustrator) and this genuine quality, together with his gentlemanly manners (he was at home with aristos as well as with cowboys), disarmed people of all backgrounds, and the public responded to it as well.

Some of my favorites: The Real Glory, Man of the West, Vera Cruz, For Whom the Bell Tolls (I think "Robert Jordan" is my favorite of all his roles), Saratoga Trunk, The Cowboy and the Lady, Bluebeard's Eighth Wife, Design for Living (he was a terrific light comedian), Along Came Jones, The Courtmartial of Billy Mitchell, The Fountainhead, The Westerner, The Virginian (he is the hero of that story come-to-life) and one that is seldom mentioned, The Garden of Evil.

I have never seen The Hanging Tree, but I have heard it's among his best.

Seargent York is one of his most highly regarded films, but though I admire his acting and it's beautifully crafted, I just don't care for the transition of the character in the second half.

Miss G

Message was edited by:

MissGoddess

I had a great time watching "Ball of Fire" last night. I could do without the "Drum Boogie" musical number, but the rest of the film is terrific. Cooper is wonderful in his scenes with Stanwyck. (Did they ever do another film together?) And the supporting cast is unbelievably talented.

Yes, they were good in that one. But never again after "Ball of Fire"?

"Meet John Doe" will be on TCM in December, I saw.

No, I don't believe they did work together again, which is a shame. They made a cute, unconventional pair and both, of course, were such fine professionals.

Miss G

You are correct. They made only the two movies together.

Which is sad, because they are both in my top 5 Gary Cooper films...and top 5 Barbara Stanwyck films.

I wish they had done more together.