Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

Fandango

*Coop CANNOT be on page two.*

:)

Good pics. I hope everyone is ready for Christmas. We finally got all our shopping done Saturday and my relatives are coming up to our house tomorrow. It'll be the first time in 13 years (since we moved from Tarkington to Central Texas) that we'll have Christmas at our house.

Good pics.

Bad pics... great director.

I hope everyone is ready for Christmas. We finally got all our shopping done Saturday and my relatives are coming up to our house tomorrow. It'll be the first time in 13 years (since we moved from Tarkington to Central Texas) that we'll have Christmas at our house.

Woohoo! I know they'll enjoy their Christmas visit... so long as they lock you in the closet. :P Don't worry, I'll tell your mom to jam Coop in the closet with you.

*I'll tell your mom to jam Coop in the closet with you.*

Good, I could use some cheering up. I knew it was gonna be a slow day at work so I brought in Jonathon Eig?s book *Luckiest Man* about Lou Gehrig and I just finished it a few minutes ago. What a remarkable man :). He?s my fave player (even more than Sugarbritches ;) ). My assistant band director in high school died of ALS. He was a real nice guy and I?ll never forget when he told us that he was having to quit b/c of it. Once you start to show symptoms, most people die within a few years and I think he only lived another year or so. It?s amazing how long Stephen Hawking has lived with it.

It?s funny too b/c while reading it anytime they had a quote from Lou or printed part of a letter he had written, I heard Gary?s voice in my head even though I know what Lou?s voice sounded like. It?s hard for me to separate the two since Gary did such a fantastic job in that film. I think that one and *High Noon* were the very best of his performances.

It only took me about four days to get through it and a couple of days ago I read one part where in the 20s Lou had bought his first car; a used Packard. That night I had a dream that Lou and I were a couple and we were out shopping for used cars. He looked so cute too in a suit and little bow tie :x.

19343.jpg

I?ve had one other dream about him before and I get all choked up thinking about it. My parents and I were at a ball game (it was a pretty generic looking park and I don?t know who the teams were) and we were sitting pretty high up in left center field. It was in between batters and we were talking as we waited for the next guy to come up. All the sudden people started cheering and it spread through the park as everyone realized Lou Gehrig, wearing his Yankee uniform, was walking up to the plate. Everybody stood up and kept on cheering and he took his cap off and just barely waved it a little to recognize the crowd then he stepped in the batter?s box. On the first pitch he hit a homerun to right center and we watched as it went into the crowd. Fireworks went off (even though it was a day game) and that place was just going crazy. That?s one of the best dreams I?ve ever had, and I?ve had some doozies ;).

Also a lot of people like to point out that in the movie, Gary signs things with his right hand even though Lou was a lefty. From the book I learned that Lou did write with his right hand b/c in those days teachers made everyone learn to write right-handed. I imagine it was just a mistake in the movie, but still, I think it?s funny that what looks like a continuity error is really correct.

In 1937 Lana Turner starred in _The Adventures of Marco Polo_ with Gary Cooper. Part of her make-up consisted of black slanted eyebrows that were glued on with fishnet and pulled off after filming each day. By the time the movie was finished Lana's eyebrows had disappeared completely and would never grow back, forcing her to paint them on for the rest of her life!

advmarcopololc.jpg

51TerESS5NL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Thanks! I don't have any actual film footage of Gehrig so I thought it would be neat to use the movie clips and then also put in some pics. I love that song too and the guy who wrote it really captured Gehrig perfectly. I loved the line about how he was 'the man who drove the car while others slept' b/c he was always there day after day playing sick and injured b/c he loved the game and the team so much. He was never one of those players who think the fans should be honored to see him play, he saw it as an honor to get to play. It's a shame more players don't see it that way.

You should have seen how many kleenexes I went through making that one - ha! I looooove Lou Gehrig (and Gary ;) ) and I'm a huge baseball fan and as much as I love that movie I can't watch it too often b/c it makes me cry my eyes out everytime.

That stinks to have the flu at Christmas, I hope you feel better soon :).

Another player in Gehrig's tradition was Joe DiMaggio. When he was asked why he gave 100% even at the end of his career, he said, "There may be some fans here who've never seen me play." He felt he owed it to them.

There are still a few like that now. One I can think of is Derek Jeter. After the Yanks lost a game because of a teammate's error, he refused to criticize him, saying, "When we win, we win as a team. When we lose, we lose as a team." A classy guy.

(1) I think it was in a Dorothy Parker story that two women were discussing what they would do with a million dollars. One said, "The first thing I'd do is hire someone to shoot Mrs. Gary Cooper."

(2) About PRIDE OF THE YANKEES: I don't know whether anyone has mentioned this, but since Gehrig was left-handed and Coop was right-handed, they had to make the print as a mirror image of the negative. So the uniform numbers, and all the signs, had to be printed backwards for the filming. It must have looked pretty strange.