Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

Fandango

Angie,

Wow! Such lovely soft colors. The hues, and shades are very different than with my software, but that makes your photos unique.

Here is one I did not post earlier, because I needed to shrink the size of the photos signifibcantly before I could display it. It was better than twice as large as you see it here now.

ClaraBowShipAhoy.png

*Clara Bow, Ship Ahoy!*

ClaraBowVeryPoutyPose.jpg

*Clara Bow, Very Pouty Pose!*

ClaraBowWind-blownHair.jpg

*Clara Bow, Wind Blown Hair*

Thank you, TCM, for giving us a Coop double-feature as part of tonight's "Profiles in Courage" lineup! B-)

*Sergeant York* (1941)

True story of the farm boy who made the transition from religious pacifist to World War I hero.

Cast: Walter Brennan , Gary Cooper , Margaret Wycherly Dir: Howard Hawks BW-134 mins, TV-G

*High Noon* (1952)

A retired Marshal must defend his town from a revengeful villain.

Cast: Lloyd Bridges , Gary Cooper , Grace Kelly , Thomas Mitchell Dir: Fred Zinnemann BW-85 mins, TV-PG

SgtYorkGaryCooperM1903SpringfieldRi.jpgnoon.jpg

John was cleaning out his office and getting rid of some stuff from some of his finished projects like the Cooper/Hemingway doc and he sent me some of the stuff he gathered when he was making it. One of the most interesting things was a copy of the *Man of the West* script. Yesterday I watched it while I followed along with the script and it was really interesting and fun to see where things were different and then also to see how well (or not so well) the actors followed the notes about their characters.

No surprise here, Gary as Link Jones was spot on as to how his character was supposed to behave and carry himself. Arthur O?Connell who played Sam Beasley and Lee J. Cobb who played Dock Tobin were also right on with how their characters were written.

Julie London as Billie Ellis however didn?t show quite the range of emotions they had written for her. I think she did a fine job, but if she could have played it like it was written, it would have been a little better. In the beginning she is written as being a woman of the world but also tired of her lonely life on the road as a singer. She doesn?t really get across how tired she is of her lifestyle though as fully as it seems they wanted.

The opening scene shows the unfinished school building in the town of Good Hope, Arizona (Link?s hometown). We see people gathered around it working and then it cuts over to Link who is standing with his wife Maria, who is described as a lovely, demure, dark haired woman. Their two sons are also standing with them as one of the townspeople gives Link the money they have raised to hire a school teacher. He kisses Maria goodbye and then shakes his boy?s hands before bending down on his knee to give them a hug. When he gets on his horse and begins to ride away Maria mouths the words ?good luck?.

When he arrives in Crosscut to take the train to Fort Worth, there are several scenes of him that are played to comedic effect to show how out of place he is in a bigger city. Good Hope is shown as a small settlement and the bustling streets of Crosscut are far different. He cranes his neck to look up at some of the tall buildings and the people laugh at him and things like that. I?m glad they cut that out as it seemed to paint him as na?ve and foolish and his character is neither of those. I think it was enough to have him react strangely to the train and not be able to fit in the seat to show that he is out of his element.

The first big difference with regard to Billie and Link?s relationship is their interaction while they wait for the train. She drops her bag and it gets stuck on the tracks. She asks Link ?if you?re not using your feet for anything special today would you mind giving this thing a kick??. The notes say he is taken aback by such an outspoken woman and by how different she is from his wife.

When the train stops for wood, instead of Link getting pistol whipped and knocked out by the bad guys they had him getting shot in the arm. I?m glad they changed that b/c it would have been tough for his character to do all he had to do with only one good arm. After they are left by the train it says Billie?s dress is all ripped up and that she sits down on the tracks and cries but she hides her face in her hands so Link and Sam can?t see her crying. I?m glad they changed that b/c it would have been clich?d for her dress to be torn when it really shouldn?t be. I mean, she got left by a train, not thrown in a wood chipper ;). Also with the way she is playing the character as being tough (we haven?t seen a vulnerable side yet) it wouldn?t have made sense for her to start blubbering.

There is also one thing they changed that I was quite disappointed about. When they inadvertently run into Dock Tobin and his gang and Link and Billie go out to sleep in the barn that night, it says Link hears Dock coming and he rips off his shirt and lays down next to Billie. Dadgummit!!! Why did they change it to him leaving his shirt on?!? Oh well, I digress.

Link is far more affectionate towards Billie in the script than in the film. I know we?ve debated on here before about whether they slept together or not and the script is no help on this issue. It?s never explicitly stated or even really implied that they slept together but they do kiss in three different scenes and if not for Link?s wife I imagine they would have.

The scene where they are talking the morning after they slept in the barn about Link?s family is written in the script as happening as they are getting ready for bed that night. Link is spreading some hay around for Billie to sleep on as they are talking about it and she also gives her speech about how men only see her as a sex object. She starts to cry and he sits down next to her to comfort her and that?s when they hear Dock coming and he takes his shirt off and they get under the blankets and pretend to be asleep. Since they are on the ground Dock trips over them when he comes in and his speech is delivered as he?s practically laying on top of them.

Once they are on their way to Lassoo they stop to make camp and Billie and Link walk off by themselves. Billie tells him she was scared by what Dock said to her on the ride but she doesn?t want to tell Link. Dock told her that before they got to Lassoo, that Link would ?give? Billie to him b/c Dock was in charge and Link always did as he was told. As they talk some more Billie asks him where he?s from and tells him she wants to know everything about him. She eventually tells him what Dock told her and then she tells Link she loves him. This is where she delivers her last speech of the film and since I don?t have the last few pages I don?t know how they had originally scripted the ending. She kisses him and it says at first he doesn?t respond then he slowly puts his arms around her and they continue to kiss until they hear Coaley and the other bad guys clapping b/c they were watching them.

The night before they go into Lassoo, Link and Billie are sitting in the wagon and he sits next to her holding her and she gives her line about loving to touch him and that she can?t keep the happiness she?s found with him. He tells her ?If I stay alive, and if I get that money back, I?ll be going home, Billie. Home is all I have. But if I die?you?ll be the last person I ever kissed.? Then it says he gently strokes her hair and kisses her softly on the lips. In the actual scene he moves his hand like he?s going to stroke her hair but then he holds back and doesn?t do it. I like that better. We can see he?s attracted to her and he does want to comfort her but he knows he can?t. The next morning as Link is getting ready to leave for Lassoo he kisses Billie again and then when he gets on his horse and if riding away she mouths ?good luck? just like his wife did at the beginning.

Also Link is short for Lincoln and it?s supposed to be set during 1874.

Thank you so much, Angie, for taking the time and trouble to share all this

about *Man of the West*. You know this is my favorite of his westerns so

anything new to learn is a treasure. I'm right with you with the changes...

some were very wise and some make me breathless thinking what "might

have been."

I wonder if the Good Hope scenes were elmininated due to a concern for

length? And perhaps that seeing Link with his wife and children would

automatically put the audience off him if they then see him attracted to

Billie. Especially audiences back then. At any rate, it's through Gary's

performance that we get all the sense of how loyal he is, not only to

his wife and family, but to all those people who put their trust in him. We

don't need to see them. With a lesser actor, maybe we would.

The movie would have been quite a bit longer if they left everything in that was in the script so I imagine the beginning scenes were cut for length and also they aren't really necessary to the plot. It makes Link seem more mysterious not knowing in the beginning where he's from or what he's doing.

Also the fight scene between Link and Coaley was much more violent and graphic in the script. Coaley gouges at one of Link's eyes until it bleeds and Coaley breaks his hand when he misses Link and hits a tree instead. It was also written in there that they should miss a punch of two during the course of the fight to make it seem more realistic.

Following along with the script gave me an even better appreciation of how great an actor Gary was. He acts just like the character is described in each scene and really brings him to life. I mean there are the words and actions described on the page and then you see them acted out perfectly; it's really amazing. The whole movie making process seems even more complex when you see just how much work went into the script and that's only a small part of the whole. It's almost a wonder movies ever get made at all ;).

Angie,

Wow! the second BALL OF FIRE photo is fabulous! Great work!

Here are some more Clara Bow photos. You might not have seen a couple, or all three of these before?

ClaraBowArabGirlOutfit.jpg

*Clara Bow in Arab Girl Costume*

ClaraBowOfficeBackground.jpg

*Clara Bow, Office Background*

ClaraBowPajammaSuit.png

*Clara Bow, Purple Pajama Suit With Cape*

hi, coopsgal, misgodess told me that you wer also from Texas and I promised I would say hi to you. you have posted lots of great Coop photos, I can see! He was so good in 'high noon', which to my hubby and me is one of the best westerns ever.

take care

anita

hi, coopsgal, misgodess told me that you wer also from Texas and I promised I would say hi to you. you have posted lots of great Coop photos, I can see! He was so good in 'high noon', which to my hubby and me is one of the best westerns ever.

take care

anita

Hey Anita,

It's always nice to "meet" a fellow Texan :). I have more than my fair share of pics of Gary, but that's not necessarily a bad thing ;).

*High Noon* is one of my faves and overall I like his westerns the best. I never liked westerns before, but his are great and I am warming up to some others that include other actors I love like Barbara Stanwyck who did a ton of westerns.

Here's a link to my youtube channel and I have a lot of Gary videos as well as some other of my faves like Clara Bow, Stanwyck and Jean Arthur. I hope you'll like them if you get a chance to watch 'em.

http://www.youtube.com/user/coopsgirl07

WOW...OK this is for "BOTH" the Joan Crawford "&" Gary Cooper fans!

_Today We Live_ (1933) will be shown on March 23, 2009 @ 6:30am Eastern Standard Time.

So check your local schedule for times!

33todayn.jpg

_Today We Live_ (1933)

*_Stars_:* Joan Crawford, Gary Cooper, Robert Young, Louise Closser Hale, Rollo Lloyd, and Franchot Tone.

*_Directed by_:* Howard Hawks & Richard Rosson

*_Cinematography by_:* Oliver T. Marsh

*_Costumes by_:* Adrian

_Today We Live_ MGM, 1933.

Joan Crawford stars as "Diana Boyce-Smith," a young, wealthy, playgirl Englishwoman during WWI.

This is Joan's first film with future husband Franchot Tone, whom she would marry in 1935; _her only film with Gary Cooper_; and her first of three films with Robert Young.)

The film is based on _Turnabout_ by William Faulkner, who also provided the dialogue for the film. Which BTW didn't include any women, so a few changes had to be made!

Poster%20-%20Today%20We%20Live_01.jpg

V24875pjsjq.jpg

Howdy, Coopsy's Clarita! -- I'm not sure I have asked this question before, but a

repeat still works for me. Who are your top ten favorite female characters in Coop's

movies? I'm not talking about actresses or even performances, but characters. Granted,

I do know that an actress and their performance will make a character all the more

appealing. So who are they?

Also, which female character in a Coop movie do you most associate with, Dominique?

This question is for all the Coop Girls and anyone else who'd like to chime in.

Where is Mrs. Cooper, by the way? Did she run off with Max? Poor Max. Now he's

really gone mad. :P

> {quote:title=coopsgirl wrote:}{quote}

> I found a cool thing at Grapevine Video called Hedda Hopper's Hollywood which was a series of shorts where Hedda showed clips of movie stars. It ran from '42-'43 and one of the shorts had some Gary stuff in it. I uploaded it - enjoy! :)

>

>

Angie, I enjoyed watching that very much. Coop's friendship with Hemingway strikes me as simply fascinating. I'd love to know what they talked about.

Your video led me to this, which I'm sure you have seen before:

Isn't he a great knight? ;)

Good question, is this the real Frank? ;) Okay, here they are in chronological order of film release.

1 - Mary Brian as Barbara Calhoun in *Only the Brave*

She's a Southerner who falls for a Union spy (Gary) and it's a real cutsey movie. She's an interesting character who at first starts off more like a Scarlett O'Hara type who just sweet talks her way through her problems but she grows up when she falls for Gary and becomes a strong woman who stands up for her man.

2 - June Collyer as Patricia Hunter in *A Man From Wyoming*

Pat is a wealthy girl who joins a Red Cross type group in WWI and decides she's had enough of practicing bandaging the other girls in her unit and she wants to see some action so she wanders off towards the front. Gary's character, who is a Captain, saves her and although they fight at first they end up sneaking away and getting married. Pat is another strong woman who takes care of herself and doesn't shy away from tough situations.

3 - Frances Fuller as Amy Grimes in *One Sunday Afternoon*

Amy is very sweet and shy and she falls for the tough guy in town Biff (Gary) even though he loves her friend Virginia (Fay Wray). When Virginia marries another man, Biff marries Amy as a consolation. She loves him very much and is a good and caring wife to him and he eventually sees that and falls in love with her too. I like her b/c she's sweet and also a tragic sort of character b/c she loves a man who for most of their marriage, did not fully love her back but even when he did a short stint in prison, she still stood by him.

4 - Jean Arthur as Babe Bennett in *Mr. Deeds Goes to Town*

I like Babe b/c she's tough talking but really a softie at heart. She's got a great wardrobe too and an exciting job.

5 - Jean Arthur as Calamity Jane in *The Plainsman*

I gotta put Calamity on the list b/c when I was a kid I dressed up like Calamity Jane for Halloween and that was fun. She's a fun character too who's a real tomboy and that just looks like fun.

6 - Merle Oberon as Mary Smith in *The Cowboy and the Lady*

She's a "cold fish" as one of the other character's calls her and not real good with men and I can definitely identify with that. She tries her best to flirt with Gary's character but he just doesn't bite until she finally gives him a sob story and tricks him into kissing her.

7 - Barbara Stanwyck as Sugarpuss O'Shea in *Ball of Fire*

I just can't tell you enough how much I love that dress Sugarpuss has in this one so she gets a lot of points just for that. She's another one similar to Babe Bennett in that she's a tough talking broad but with the right guy, she just melts and the sensitive girl comes out. Also it would be fun to be part of a nightclub act.

8 - Ann Sheridan as Lucille Clayton in *Good Sam*

It's funny that Ann Sheridan started her career as a sexpot type but in this one she's an average housewife and mother and she did a great job. She and Gary really seem like a real couple and there's one scene where she gets really cracked up and it's so funny b/c it really seems like she is just laughing her head off. It's fun to daydream too about being a suburban housewife during the late 40s (and also early 50s).

9 - Audrey Hepburn as Ariane Chavasse in *Love in the Afternoon*

She's just so naive about men and it's so cute as she tries to save Gary's character from some woman's husband who is gunning for him as he's having an affair with his wife. She tries to make him fall for her by making him think she's just as worldly as he is. He eventually falls for the real her though.

10 - Maria Schell as Elizabeth Mahler in *The Hanging Tree*

Elizabeth is another strong character who has come to America (specifically a small mining town in Montana) to start a new life. She's all alone but she toughs it out anyway and doesn't let anyone stop her from reaching her goals.

I guess I see myself as a mish-mash of a few of these. I'm like Elizabeth Mahler as I went to grad school in London by myself and was far away from home alone but I got through it. With regards to men, I'm like Mary Smith and Amy Grimes; shy and not a very good flirt. I'm also a little like Pat Hunter in that I'm not afraid to go out and do something if it's something I really want to do (I have no desire to go to the front lines like she did though).

Angie, that is a wonderful list - I only wish I'd seen as many Coop movies as you have. Of the ones that I have seen, I really liked many of the ones you mentioned: Frances Fuller in *One Sunday Afternoon*, Jean Arthur in *Mr. Deeds Goes to Town* and Barbara Stanwyck in *Ball of Fire*. Also very fond, of course, of Merle Oberon in *The Cowboy and the Lady* and Audrey Hepburn in *Love in the Afternoon*.

Terrific choices - I can't wait to see the other ones you mentioned!!

Good day, Astro Ang! -- I'm absolutely stunned that you forgot your very

favorite Coop female character. Where's "Amy Kane"? I'll let you go back add her

to the list. :P

Good question, is this the real Frank?

No! I'm pretending to be another person. It's the nice and friendly thing to do.

All right, I've seen just two of the movies on your list, but that won't stop me from

trampling you. :P

1 - Mary Brian as Barbara Calhoun in Only the Brave

She's a Southerner who falls for a Union spy (Gary) and it's a real cutsey movie. She's

an interesting character who at first starts off more like a Scarlett O'Hara type who just

sweet talks her way through her problems but she grows up when she falls for Gary

and becomes a strong woman who stands up for her man.

A Scarlett O'Hara-type, eh? Those are the worst! Aren't all you Southern belles that? You

know, the worst. :P This selection makes great sense to me.

2 - June Collyer as Patricia Hunter in A Man From Wyoming

Pat is a wealthy girl who joins a Red Cross type group in WWI and decides she's had

enough of practicing bandaging the other girls in her unit and she wants to see some

action so she wanders off towards the front. Gary's character, who is a Captain, saves

her and although they fight at first they end up sneaking away and getting married. Pat

is another strong woman who takes care of herself and doesn't shy away from tough

situations.

So you like the sneaks, too? I know some sneaks around here. Does she bandage the

other girls after she's created the wounds? How caring of her. And don't tell me you're

the kind of girl who likes unhappy endings. They get married? That's not a happy ending.

Ugh.

3 - Frances Fuller as Amy Grimes in One Sunday Afternoon

Amy is very sweet and shy and she falls for the tough guy in town Biff (Gary) even

though he loves her friend Virginia (Fay Wray). When Virginia marries another man, Biff

marries Amy as a consolation. She loves him very much and is a good and caring wife

to him and he eventually sees that and falls in love with her too. I like her b/c she's sweet

and also a tragic sort of character b/c she loves a man who for most of their marriage, did

not fully love her back but even when he did a short stint in prison, she still stood by him.

Hey, now this sounds like my kind of movie! I like the sweet and shy girls.

4 - Jean Arthur as Babe Bennett in Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

I like Babe b/c she's tough talking but really a softie at heart. She's got a great wardrobe

too and an exciting job.

"A great wardrobe and an exciting job." :D You're going right to the emotional heart of the

character there. :P

5 - Jean Arthur as Calamity Jane in The Plainsman

I gotta put Calamity on the list b/c when I was a kid I dressed up like Calamity Jane for

Halloween and that was fun. She's a fun character too who's a real tomboy and that just

looks like fun.

Yeah, but I bet she still throws like a girl.

6 - Merle Oberon as Mary Smith in The Cowboy and the Lady

She's a "cold fish" as one of the other character's calls her and not real good with men

and I can definitely identify with that. She tries her best to flirt with Gary's character

but he just doesn't bite until she finally gives him a sob story and tricks him into

kissing her.

More sneakiness! You're a cold fish? Really? I would have never thought that. I know

there are some cold fishes around here, though.

7 - Barbara Stanwyck as Sugarpuss O'Shea in Ball of Fire

I just can't tell you enough how much I love that dress Sugarpuss has in this one so she

gets a lot of points just for that. She's another one similar to Babe Bennett in that she's

a tough talking broad but with the right guy, she just melts and the sensitive girl comes

out. Also it would be fun to be part of a nightclub act.

Wardrobe, again?! Sugarpuss really is a lot of fun. She's very "Missy" to me; very New

Yawk.

8 - Ann Sheridan as Lucille Clayton in Good Sam

It's funny that Ann Sheridan started her career as a sexpot type but in this one she's an

average housewife and mother and she did a great job. She and Gary really seem like

a real couple and there's one scene where she gets really cracked up and it's so

funny b/c it really seems like she is just laughing her head off. It's fun to daydream

too about being a suburban housewife during the late 40s (and also early 50s).

A suburban housewife of the late-40s and early-50s, eh? With five kids, right? :P

9 - Audrey Hepburn as Ariane Chavasse in Love in the Afternoon

She's just so naive about men and it's so cute as she tries to save Gary's character

from some woman's husband who is gunning for him as he's having an affair with his

wife. She tries to make him fall for her by making him think she's just as worldly as

he is. He eventually falls for the real her though.

I've yet to watch this one but it sounds very "Audrey" to me.

10 - Maria Schell as Elizabeth Mahler in The Hanging Tree

Elizabeth is another strong character who has come to America (specifically a small

mining town in Montana) to start a new life. She's all alone but she toughs it out

anyway and doesn't let anyone stop her from reaching her goals.

Now that sounds like a very interesting gal.

With regards to men, I'm like Mary Smith and Amy Grimes; shy and not a very good flirt.

Sometimes it's the guy who brings the flirt out in the girl.

I loved your write-ups! You went above and beyond what I asked for. Thanks!