Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

Fandango

Oh my gosh, I swear you should immediately go to Hollywood and get a job working for the Academy. I honestly don't think any of the film compilations they produce for the Awards are any better than the ones you do.

I went ahead and watched Begging You for Mercy after I got done with Leading Man...... Now I really want to see some full length Gary movies.....you got me in the mood. :)

You are too sweet! The 'begging you for mercy' one is one of my very faves. I heard that song when it was new on an episode of *Smallville* and thought it would make a great video and then it just took off and all the sudden I was hearing it in a bunch of commercials and stuff like that. It's a cool song and it fit those scenes so perfectly. That was a really fun one to do.

> {quote:title=coopsgirl wrote:}{quote}

> Thank you both for the compliments! I'm very proud of them and they are just so much fun to do. Here's another one I just finished.

>

>

OMG! That is totally, totally awesome, Angie! It was so well edited and the music is just lovely. By the way I don't think I knew that song before watching your video, but I'm already in love with it.

I'm going to add it to the TCM fansite, hope you won't mind. B-)

What I like about your videos, is that if you know the movies they are from, the video actually tells a story. You start with A Farewell to Arms - the most wrenching scene, in which lovers are torn apart. Gary's alone. But then you go on and he is looking up, angels are watching him and then the end with Peter Ibbetson (well, not the very end, but, you know) with lovers reunited. It was very moving.

There is a lot of imagination put into your videos, a lot of thought.....

I don't mind if you add it to the TCM fansite.

Working for the state government (especially in one of the few states not currently in the red, thank goodness) is a little more stable than working in Hollywood so I guess I better keep my day job :).

As far as what you said Wendy about me knowing the movies I?m working with, I should as many times as I have watched them ;). That does make it quite a bit easier b/c I can be at work listening to a song and I can kinda storyboard the idea in my head and then get on the computer at home and put it together. I can?t help but hear songs and then either put dance routines (from all my years in dance lessons I guess) or movie scenes to them.

I?m glad y?all liked the song too. When I first heard it the line that jumped out at my was one from the chorus where she says ?I wanna stay, I feel safe here in your light?. It reminded me of a couple of dreams I?ve had about Gary where he saved me from something and I felt safe with him so that song made me think of him. I try to stay away from the longer songs (anything much over 3 minutes) b/c they can be tricky and seem to drag on sometimes but I was happy with how this one turned out. I?ve got tons of ideas and songs for a lot more so my creative well isn?t dried up yet ;). Shirley Bassey has a lot of good songs that fit him and those should be fun b/c they?re real cutesy. Another woman, tikilizzy is her youtube name, has made some good Gary videos too and she used one of Shirley Bassey?s songs ?Kiss Me, Honey, Honey, Kiss Me? and it?s real cute.

> {quote:title=coopsgirl wrote:}{quote}

> I don't mind if you add it to the TCM fansite.

Done! Here is the link to your video on TCM Fans:

http://tcmfans.ning.com/video/gary-cooper-angels-in-the

> Working for the state government (especially in one of the few states not currently in the red, thank goodness) is a little more stable than working in Hollywood so I guess I better keep my day job :).

Amen to that. It's scary to see how many states are in the red right now and can't get credit. Sometimes, it's more fun to do something as a hobby or even to freelance occasionally for others.

> As far as what you said Wendy about me knowing the movies Im working with, I should as many times as I have watched them ;). That does make it quite a bit easier b/c I can be at work listening to a song and I can kinda storyboard the idea in my head and then get on the computer at home and put it together. I cant help but hear songs and then either put dance routines (from all my years in dance lessons I guess) or movie scenes to them.

>

I've kind of the same thing going sometimes when I am making screencaps. Just knowing a movie so well that it's obvious which moments should be "capped".

> Im glad yall liked the song too. When I first heard it the line that jumped out at my was one from the chorus where she says I wanna stay, I feel safe here in your light. It reminded me of a couple of dreams Ive had about Gary where he saved me from something and I felt safe with him so that song made me think of him. I try to stay away from the longer songs (anything much over 3 minutes) b/c they can be tricky and seem to drag on sometimes but I was happy with how this one turned out. Ive got tons of ideas and songs for a lot more so my creative well isnt dried up yet ;). Shirley Bassey has a lot of good songs that fit him and those should be fun b/c theyre real cutesy. Another woman, tikilizzy is her youtube name, has made some good Gary videos too and she used one of Shirley Basseys songs Kiss Me, Honey, Honey, Kiss Me and its real cute.

And speaking of Coop dreams, have you had any lately? ;)

*What I like about your videos, is that if you know the movies they are from, the video actually tells a story.*

That?s one of the tricky things with some of them is that if you know the movie, the video makes more sense. There is another I made with *Peter Ibbetson* clips called ?Marble Halls? and I picked that song b/c it?s in the movie in the scene when Gary goes into the party at the Duchess?s house. It was a brilliant selection by the filmmakers since the song is about a dream itself. It was funny b/c when I first saw that one I recognized the song and was singing along with it and it took me a while to remember what I knew it from. Finally it hit me it was on an Enya cd I had. I looked it up and was surprised to find it was from an opera from around the same time as the film is set so it was not only current for that time but also fit perfectly with the story. Filmmakers nowadays don?t seem to be nearly that clever anymore with little touches like that.

Oh, I love that video, MissG! And I know that song, too. Was that the Enya version, Ang? I wasn't sure.

You are right about the little touches. The movies aren't as creative that way nowadays. It's a shame they can't tie things together like they did in the studio days....

Your videos are cementing in my mind an idea for a thread - something to do with the art of cinematography and the sheer beauty of films made in the classic era. We don't get beauty and light in our movies much anymore. I'd like to make a tribute to the cinematographers, whose names we don't often see or even sometimes know. I can't quite make up my mind if I want to limit the thread to just black and white or not. I hate to put limits on what people consider beautiful, but black and white just seems more beautiful to me.....

Message was edited by: JackFavell

A woman named Lily is singing the version I used. I liked this one a little better than Enya?s so that?s why I chose it.

That?s a good idea for a thread. I think it seemed to take more talent and skill to film a black and white movie than one in color. Color selection was very important b/c you needed to get the right look for b+w. I?ve read before that instead of using something like black for an outfit that was supposed to look black they would actually use other shades like really dark red and that filmed better. You can do a lot more with lighting and shadows too than you can in color films.

As far as color films go though, you can?t beat 3-strip Technicolor used from the mid 30s to mid 50s. That is just the most gorgeous color palette you will ever see. It just had a depth and richness to it that is lacking in all other color processes unfortunately. I wish they hadn?t stopped using it. I mean come one, does it get anymore gorgeous than this? :x

forwhomthebelltolls41.jpg

I was browsing through the Corbis website looking at pics from the 30s and this one of Rocky (Gary's wife for those who might not know) came up when she was briefly acting under the name Sandra Shaw. She would have been about 19 or 20 here. It's a beautiful pic.

rockyassandrashaw.jpg

It would be fantastic to have hair/makeup/wardrobe people to follow you around and make sure you look great all day. They might look a little strange though hanging around my cubicle :).

It would be fun to go somewhere and have your pictures done in that old Hollywood glamour style. I nearly always close my eyes though during the flash so that might not be a good idea for me ;).

I agree that Rocky was lucky in some ways but it wasn't exactly all sunshine and roses being Mrs. Gary Cooper. She was a real classy lady though and handled all the various situations (the paparazzi, crazy female fans, and his affairs) with grace and dignity. I don't think he could have chosen a better gal (except for me of course :x ).