Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

Yeah Ten North Frederick is indeed owned by Fox or is it? I think I read there were legal troubles on ownership between Fox and the the decendents of the person that wrote the book. At least the legal troubles with The Hanging Tree have been resolved.

I must have had Test Pilot on my mind when I mentioned Myrna Loy and not Crawford as she was with Tracy and Gable in that one. I still thought Mannequin was a very good movie. My favorite Gable movie after Gone with the Wind would be a toss up between test pilot, Strange Cargo and Boom Town. I really liked the matchup of Gable and Tracy as buddies. I saw Whipsaw but can't remember the plot on that one.

I love Tracy and Gable together, too, Dan. Whipsaw had Tracy and Loy playing a couple

of crooks on the lam---only one of them is just pretending to be a criminal to catch

the other. I enjoyed it very much.

I guess I'll have to just keep hoping against hope on 10NF.

I just saw the info about *Bright Leaf* in the Gen Discussions thread and nearly spit out a mouthful of Crystal Light! I really like that one too and it?s one I rewatch quite a bit. It?s definitely an out of the ordinary character for Gary and even though he?s kind of a jerk, you still root for him anyway b/c he made the character likeable.

I?ve gone through the list and found quite a few I?m interested in but will have to wait for payday until I can buy any. This was a car insurance month and that always take a chunk. I?m definitely getting the two Marie Dressler films (Emma and Tugboat Annie) and I also have some of the Cary Grant films on my list and *Room for One More* looks very cute. I?m getting the two Gable/Loy pairings too.

John Mulholland, who should be back from vacation this week, said he had some good stuff to tell me when he got back. I wonder if this new WB thing was one of them? He said there was a lot of exciting stuff happening and as soon as I know, I?ll pass it along :).

*Bright Leaf* is now available and I should have a copy in my hot little hands March 30th!!!! I couldn't find it in the A-D section but I did when I put it in the search box. They don't have a video preview of it though.

> I think I read there were legal troubles on ownership between Fox and the the decendents of the person that wrote the book.

Hadn't heard anything about legal difficulties, but that could explain why the title remains unreleased. Hopefully, it will all be sorted out, eventually.

> Bright Leaf is now available and I should have a copy in my hot little hands March 30th!!!

Good news, indeed! Glad to hear this, hope you'll enjoy it. ;)

Message was edited by: moviefan1951

So, anyone watch: _Today We Live_ (1933) ...directed by Howard Hawks, with Richard Rosson. Joan Crawford, Gary Cooper, Robert Young!!!???

A very unique and beautiful film with much to recommend it, however strange it may be.

At the height of World War I, American Richard Bogard (Gary Cooper) rents the country home of Englishwoman Diana Boyce-Smith (Joan Crawford) just as her father has been killed in fighting. Diana has long been in love with Claude (Robert Young), an old friend who proposes to her, but she finds herself increasingly attracted to the charming Bogard, especially after Claude leaves with Diana's brother

http://image.allmusic.com/00/avg/cov200/drv200/v248/v24875pjsjq.jpg

So, anyone watch: _Today We Live_ (1933) ...directed by Howard Hawks, with Richard Rosson. Joan Crawford, Gary Cooper, Robert Young!!!???

A very unique and beautiful film with much to recommend it, however strange it may be.

At the height of World War I, American Richard Bogard (Gary Cooper) rents the country home of Englishwoman Diana Boyce-Smith (Joan Crawford) just as her father has been killed in fighting. Diana has long been in love with Claude (Robert Young), an old friend who proposes to her, but she finds herself increasingly attracted to the charming Bogard, especially after Claude leaves with Diana's brother

v24875pjsjq.jpg

This is one of my least favorite?s of Gary?s films. It?s supposed to be set during WWI but they are all wearing 1930s clothes and had ?modern? hairstyles. The accents were terrible and Franchot Tone is one of my least favorite actors and I try to avoid his films like the plague. My favorite scenes are the battle scenes near the end with Gary and Roscoe Kearns as they made a good pair. I?m just really not sure what they were thinking with this one and to me at least, it?s one of those films you watch b/c you like somebody in it and nothing more.

Hi Angie,

I had 4 movies in my basket (2 Cary Grant, 1 Tracy/Crawford and 1 Gable/Loy in my basket ready to order at WB. They have Bright Leaf now posted with picture among all the other movies but when I click on it, I get unable to find please choose another movie. I don't think I will be about to pass this one up for another movie. I'm hoping they get this straightened out soon as I'm not sure how many classic movie fans will try to order this one. I did try to send an email to the contact us about web page but instead of getting a thanks for message, I kept going back to a blank fill out form, so it must not have been going through. Please let me know if you are able to add it to your basket and if so what link you used.

I don?t even see *Bright Leaf* listed anymore and yesterday afternoon when I bought my copy the movie total was 155 now it?s 150. I typed it in the search box and it said ?sorry, no results match?. That is very strange b/c I ordered it yesterday and got a confirmation email for it too. I wonder if I'll actually get it. Maybe it?s just a glitch. I?d just keep trying or send them another email.

> {quote:title=CelluloidKid wrote:}{quote}

> So, anyone watch: _Today We Live_ (1933) ...directed by Howard Hawks, with Richard Rosson. Joan Crawford, Gary Cooper, Robert Young!!!???

>

>

> A very unique and beautiful film with much to recommend it, however strange it may be.

I enjoyed the dark and foreboding feeling it had, though I was in and out for a good portion of the movie, while getting my daughter ready for school.

I also loved the comradeship of the three - Crawford, Tone, and Young. Nice ensemble acting. I actually thought it was one of Tone's best and most understated performances. But I am a sucker for all that "stiff upper lip" British stuff, whether it is real, or Hollywood concocted... :)

Hey Wendy,

The only things I?ve kinda liked Franchot Tone in is *Lives of a Bengal Lancer* (his character is a little smarmy and unlikeable at first but he plays it well and in the end he turns out to be good) and *Bombshell* where he is supposed to be playing a bad actor. Now, that?s not a veiled insult about him, I promise. I?m sure it?s not easy to purposely portray bad acting and he did a good job of being too over the top. There?s just something about him though that I don?t like and it puts me off. Robert Young is okay but I get him confused with Robert Montgomery and to me they seem like the same person and could easily be interchangeable. I like some of Joan Crawford?s early films before she became too much of a caricature of herself but I don?t like her in this one. She?s too melodramatic and her modern clothes are too distracting.

Along with *The Fountainhead*, this is probably my least fave of his but I don?t outright dislike it at much as *Fountainhead*. I like Gary?s character and of course I think he did a good job :x. I like his interactions with Roscoe Kearns who he was also paired with in *One Sunday Afternoon* and *If I Had a Million* all released around the same time (1932/33). They had a good rapport and played off each other well. He?s also the same age as me in this movie, albeit 76 years apart, so that?s kinda cool :).

I?m not really sure why they wanted Gary for this one though. He got second billing but he seems more like a supporting character than a costar. He doesn?t get any real meaty scenes until the end and it seems like that could have gone to a lesser star and he could have been used better in a different film.

Angie,

I made a hard line stand on it over at the Post HTF WB chat thread as I know that WB reps will be reading through the comments. My hard line stance is no Bright Leaf - no sale on my end for anything until they bring it back.

Hey, Coopsgirl!

I pretty much agree with everything you say. Today We Live is not really even a Gary Cooper movie, I don't think. He had nothing to do. And I can see how Tone could rub people the wrong way, he certainly is not one of my favorites, but I did like him very much as this character. I felt like in this particular movie, he was the one with the best acting skills, and my eye went to him all the time. I liked his demeanor, and the fact that he seemed to have an unspoken story going on made him more interesting to me.

I haven't seen Bengal Lancer in years, but I remember liking it a whole lot - but don't remember Tone at all!

And I am not crazy about The Fountainhead either, but Gary in a mediocre movie is better than no Gary at all.... :)

*Gary in a mediocre movie is better than no Gary at all....*

Truer words were never spoken :). I really do need to watch *Today We Live* again though. I think I've only seen it once. I recorded it yesterday and it looked a little better than the version I had and as I was skimming through it, I realized I had forgotten how nice he looked in that uniform :P. Even when the plot isn't that great, at least he's good for some eye candy.

That's funny that you don't remember Franchot in *Bengal Lancers*; he and Gary are the main characters along with Richard Cromwell (who I also dislike and that's purely b/c I think he was a bad actor). It's a fun adventure film and was kind of the turning point in Gary's career. It came out in '35 and was a huge hit. After that he continued turning out hits throughout '36 and got his first Oscar nod for *Mr. Deeds* that year. It seems to be around this time that people really began taking him more seriously as a genuinely talented actor.

i ewas gonnna watch my recording of 'today we live' today but after reading all the bad comments from all the coop girls, i'm not sure I want to! i will definitlye order 'bright leaves' if it is ever released, though. ;)

It looks like that WB link is working to ask questions. It does take you back to the original form fill out page but in small print on the bottom corner it states "Thankyou for submitting your question". I just sent them another one today pretty much stating what is the deal with Bright Leaf after being available to order yesterday.

Any other Gary Cooper fans feel free to express your thoughts and show your support for Bright Leaf can do so by just feeling out a question form to WB at the below link:

http://www.wbshop.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-WB-Site/default/Page-ContactUs

Also make sure you have Warner Archive selected in My Question is About box.

Thanks for your support Anita. It just is really frustrating when a company offers a movie on the first day of their big kick off of the Warner Archive only to have the list of over 150 never released before movies go down by one the next day without any explanation. And the one movie happens to be Bright Leaf starring Gary Cooper.

Here's the page it was listed on yesterday:

http://www.wbshop.com/Warner-Archive/ARCHIVE,default,sc.html

I just got an email from WB saying my order of Bright Leaf was in their shipping department and will either go out today or tomorrow and I'll get an email notifying me when it is shipped. I'll let you know when (if) I get it.