Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

Jeff (gagman66) posted yesterday in the Silent section that Gary's silent from 1928, *The Shopworn Angel*, is not a lost film after all. It was screened at the Cinefest film festival this past February. This is awesome news!!!!

http://www.altfg.com/blog/film-festivals/cinefest-2009/

*General Died at Dawn*

A36e2653-0045.jpg

*Ten North Frederick*

b747_1.JPG

*The Last Outlaw*

A36e2653-0036.jpg

> {quote:title=coopsgirl wrote:}{quote}

> Jeff (gagman66) posted yesterday in the Silent section that Gary's silent from 1928, *The Shopworn Angel*, is not a lost film after all. It was screened at the Cinefest film festival this past February. This is awesome news!!!!

>

> http://www.altfg.com/blog/film-festivals/cinefest-2009/

>

That is indeed great news - but who controls the video rights?

MarianStarrett ,

As far as I know, Paramount would have the video rights to THE SHOPWORN ANGEL. But if any part of the soundtrack survives, this film could have fallen into Universal's Hands like THE FOUR FEATHERS (1929) did?

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}

> MarianStarrett ,

>

> As far as I know, Paramount would have the video rights to THE SHOPWORN ANGEL. But if any part of the soundtrack survives, this film could have fallen into Universal's Hands like THE FOUR FEATHERS (1929) did?

Good heavens! It could take them decades to figure all that out!

I'll keep my fingers crossed, in any case, for an eventual home video release. ;)

I suppose this must have been posted before, at some point, but I wanted to share it with everyone today because of the very special presentation of *Meet John Doe* tonight on TCM which will be presented by our very own *Kyle*.

It's the harmonica-playing scene, one of my favorites from the movie:

90737-004-33906332.jpg

I've been making a project of getting the last of my VHS tapes onto disc, and two I did very recently were "Desire" with Marlene Dietrich and "Peter Ibbetson", both from the mid-1930's. It was great seeing them both again, though both are from the early days of home recording and of pretty poor quality, especially "Peter Ibbetson". Isn't it amazing what we'll put up with to see a favorite film? He was so urbane and slick in "Desire", and so earthy in "P.I." He truly had a range that, say, Clark Gable did not, and Spencer Tracy's charm was of a different sort altogether. These days, people talk about "transparency" in film acting, and this was the guy who invented it. I'd basically watch him in anything, which I wouldn't say about most actors.

I've been making a project of getting the last of my VHS tapes onto disc, and two I did very recently were "Desire" with Marlene Dietrich and "Peter Ibbetson", both from the mid-1930's. It was great seeing them both again, though both are from the early days of home recording and of pretty poor quality, especially "Peter Ibbetson". Isn't it amazing what we'll put up with to see a favorite film? He was so urbane and slick in "Desire", and so earthy in "P.I." He truly had a range that, say, Clark Gable did not, and Spencer Tracy's charm was of a different sort altogether. These days, people talk about "transparency" in film acting, and this was the guy who invented it. I'd basically watch him in anything, which I wouldn't say about most actors.

I watched Along Came Jones this morning, what a great movie. :D

I love Coop as Melody Jones. He's like a little kid at times, like when he starts enjoy being confused with the other MJ in the town and everybody is a little intimidated by him. And also when he tries to help out Cherry (Loretta Young) even though he figures out she was trying to use him.

The little thing he does with his arm right before he plants a big kiss on Cherry was also a nice touch, it is almost like a parody of such moments in other movies.

Oh and the look on his face when he finally learns...

POSSIBLE SPOILER

.... what a good shot Cherry really is. ;)

William Demarest is a great supporting player, as Melody's old buddy, he adds so many great touches of humor and he's just a delight to watch.

I found a link to a site where you can read the book *Doomsday* that Gary?s film by the same name was based on. I?ve read a little bit of it and it?s pretty good. The way they physically describe Arnold Furze (Gary?s character) was spot on for Gary as he was tall, but not too tall, had beautiful tanned skin and gorgeous eyes :x.

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0600601h.html

*Glass movie slide for Doomsday*

doomsday.JPG

I won the mother of all auctions in my dream last night! I was at this fancy place and they were doing another Hollywood memorabilia auction. I wasn?t gonna bid on anything b/c it was all too expensive and I was just there to see the stuff. One of the things they had was Gary?s Oscar for *Sergeant York*. There was a woman working there and we had been talking and she saw that I was a huge Gary fan and she kept making real cryptic comments about how I was gonna win it. I told her I would love that but I wasn?t even gonna bid on it. She just smiled and walked away. A little while later she came back with it and handed it to me. I was like ?I didn?t even bid on it, how could I have won it?? and she said that she fixed it so I could have it. So I was just standing there holding it with this dumbfounded look on my face b/c I just couldn?t believe it.

Now here?s the weird part. I got Patricia Neal autobiography "As I AM" this weekend and started reading the chapters about her and Gary before I went to bed and in one part she was talking about how when she was in London in ?48 filming a movie that she and Gary wrote a lot of letters back and forth and she said he was a beautiful writer which other people have said too. She said she treasured all those letters but somehow she lost them after she had her strokes. You know how your mind just wanders sometimes and I was thinking just before I went to sleep about who would get all her stuff like the pics she has of Gary and stuff like that when she dies and I figure her kids will get all that. Then I was wondering who would get all the stuff of Gary?s that Maria has, like his Oscars, when she dies since she doesn?t have any kids. Apparently I get some of it, in my dreams at least. I?m so curious now too what happened to those letters. My theory is while she was in the hospital her husband probably got rid of them. Maybe not, but what else could have happened to them? It?s a mystery.

I found her book at Half Price Books this weekend (actually my mom found it ? yay mom!) and I wanna read the whole thing when I get time but for now I?m just reading the parts about Gary. It?s very well written with enough details to be interesting but not too much to be trashy.

So far I?ve learned they began their affair after they finished filming *The Fountainhead*. She said they kind of had an unspoken understanding that if they began an affair while filming it might ruin the great sexual tension they had which in my opinion, is the best part of the movie. The first scenes they filmed were the ones at the quarry. Man, what a way to begin! She also said while they were on location filming that part she would make up excuses to call Gary nearly every night asking him questions about the shoot. When they were at the wrap party after filming was complete she said Rocky was in New York and Gary asked if he could drive her home. She told him she had her come in her car but he could follow her which he did and that?s how it began. Her brother and mother had come out to California with her and they were all staying together in her little apartment but once they began filming the movie and she could feel something happening between her and Gary she said she had to get them out of there so they went back to New York and she got a better place a little more secluded.

Jean Valentino (Rudolph?s ex-wife) didn?t really know Pat but I guess it got around that she was looking for a new place and Jean contacted her and told her that there was a place next to hers and that?s where Pat moved to. Apparently Jean was a lesbian and had a girlfriend named Chloe and they became good friends to Pat and Gary and kinda kept each other?s secrets. When Pat went to London late in ?48 to film a movie she would send letters for Gary to Jean and she would pass them along to him. She said Gary loved to bring her presents and that one day he brought her a red dress with white polka dots and she went to go try it on and it was terrible and didn?t fit at all. She didn?t want to disappoint him so she just told him she wasn?t ready to show it to him yet and the next day she took it to a dressmaker and got it fixed up and he never knew the difference ? ha! She also explained that he would come and spend the evenings with her and that was kinda part of the deal between him and Rocky; that they each had their own time to do stuff. She explained that while they took a lot of family vacations together, they each had things they like to do separately so I guess Rocky didn?t question it too much when he would go off on his own.

I can?t wait to read all of it. You can really tell how much she loved him and dang it, I can?t blame her. It?s definitely wrong to have an affair with a married man but I?m not sure that I would have been able to resist him either if I had been in her shoes. When they met she was immediately smitten by him even though at their first meeting at a studio party he didn?t pay much attention to her after their introductions. She said though for her, he was the only man in the room. It?s so sweet and loving the way she describes him. She said he was always immaculately dressed, even when in casual clothes, his eyes were the most gorgeous shade of blue she?s seen and that they always sparkled. She said the thing she remembered most though were his beautiful hands (I think we?ve talked about her saying this before). She said even now she could feel the warm touch of his hand on her shoulder. That?s just so heartbreakingly pitiful.

I read a little bit of the intro and she talked about how in 1978 she and Maria began to become friends and she was glad about that (the book was published in ?88). She had always liked Maria but that feeling was not reciprocated until then which is very understandable. She also eventually became friends with Rocky but I haven?t gotten to that part yet. In the intro she said about both of them that she loved them b/c she couldn?t feel anything but love for people who also loved Gary. That?s what finally brought me around to liking Pat which I didn?t for quite a while. In interviews I?ve seen with her like the Private Screenings she did for TCM you can tell how much she loved him and I can?t dislike anyone that feels that way about such a uniquely special man.

Thanks! I love two-strip stuff and I hadn?t even noticed that they do kinda have that look. There?s another from that same scene I want to do and I?m hoping I can get it finished today and post it for what would be his 108th birthday tomorrow.

Angie,

I was just watching Flesh and the Devil yesterday, and I have to say those scenes you posted reminded me so much of the garden scene in "Flesh". There is no one connected with both movies when I look it up.... the lighting just looks so beautiful in both.... it is probably just that they REALLY knew how to make movies look good back in the silent era.....