Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

Good one! I have that book and it does have a lot of good info and pics. Theresa and I went to see *Mr. Deeds* at the Paramount theater last night and it was awesome!! I'm going again tonight and today I'm going to stay for both films in the double feature the other being *You Can't Take it With You* which is also great. We wore our Gary shirts and the cute old ladies who are the ushers loved them and told us we had good taste. It was a good crowd and everybody really enjoyed it.

I just can't stress enough how seeing Gary on the big screen literally magnifies how great an actor he was. All the subtle little things he did really come across more. He also looks fantastic up there bigger than life.

> {quote:title=coopsgirl wrote:}{quote}

>

> I just can't stress enough how seeing Gary on the big screen literally magnifies how great an actor he was. All the subtle little things he did really come across more. He also looks fantastic up there bigger than life.

I'm so glad you and T got to see Gary on the big screen again! I wish they'd play one

of his movies in New York again soon, I'm getting withdrawal!

From Deeds...

MR_DEEDSGOESTOTOWN_1936.jpg

Gah!

I know I haven't been posting on boards much lately, but this is the first time in over 2 years I have shown up on this board to find this thread on (gasp!) page 2 of the Favorites forum!

*Do I have to come back and help you guys out?????* You seem to have had things well under control for so very long, in terms of the effort to keep Coop in the forefront of all that is Classic Film! Which I think we can all agree is quite rightfully where he belongs.

But this 'page 2' stuff is just not workin' for me! hehehehe....

Are you guys on vacation or something? :lol:

Anyway....seriously, a big wave to you all! And cool pic from Mr Deeds, MissG! :D

I've been trying to reply for a couple of days but haven't been able to. This site is so screwy now. I have the original of that pic from Mr. Deeds; it's a good one. Here are some more I found on ebay.

*Dr. Wassell*

drwassell-2.jpg

promopic-2.jpg

*Seven Days Leave*

sevendaysleave2-1.jpg

sevendaysleave-1.jpg

> {quote:title=pktrekgirl wrote:}{quote}

> Wow! Excellent!

>

> By the way, which films are among those in the Warner Archives? I need to order those post haste as I am always on the scout for improved picture quality of my Coop film collection. :D

They are Bright Leaf, Task Force, One Sunday Afternoon, Operator 13, Today We Live and Saratoga Trunk.

Make sure to order the Coop bundle, that way each title is about $10. (The SRP for individual titles is $20).

pktrekgirl, It's so good to see you back!

Coopsgirl, wonderful photos! I'm so glad you were able to get on with all the tech difficulties.

Dr Wassell is so beautiful, I can't even say it without drooling! I love his arms and that sensitive pose....

Humm....where did you order those?

I just went through the Warner Archives section in the shopping section and didn't find any of those films, let alone a Gary Cooper bundle! Scrolled through all 15 pages of titles and didn't find any of them.

I don't get that shopping section anyway, when it comes to the Warner Archives stuff. Someone told me last month that on your first order you got a discount and I can't find anything about that either. the only prices I see are all $17.99.

I must be a **** when it comes ot this or something....

Can someone tell me how to order, and from which site?

And great photos from Seven Days Leave and Dr Wassel, coopsgirl!

If the price you saw was $17.99, you were probably looking at the tcm.com shop. :)

Try WBShop, just type warnerarchives.com in the address field, or use this link:

http://www.wbshop.com/Gary-Cooper-6-DVD-Collection/WACOOPER,default,pd.html?cgid=YARCHIVEBUNDLE

And don't forget to check the Warner Archive thread in the DVD forum, filmlover posts discount codes all the time which may save you 25% or so when you order.

Pktrekgirl,

This board is so aggravating...I had posted this link for you and then my post didn't "take"

so I started over and the link didn't come up, so here it is, the link to the Warner Archive

Gary Cooper bundle (hopefully):

http://www.wbshop.com/Gary-Cooper-6-DVD-Collection/WACOOPER,default,pd.html?cgid=YARCHIVEBUNDLE

Hey! Thanks very much, guys! I knew there must be another place to order that was more economical! The shopping section always seems to have high prices. ;)

I'm eager to get ahold of that bundle, needless to say. I have all of those films, but am hoping for some improved picture quality.

BTW, I recently got ahold of a R2 version of North West Mounted Police that has great picture quality. Not sure where you'd get it in the U.S., but if you can find this R2 version, grab it. I also got a commercial release of The Story of Dr Wassell from R2 that is better quality than the one I had recorded from TCM a couple of years ago.

I wonder if the Warner Archives has other bundles? There are alot Clark Gable films in that group that I'd love better copies of. One of my favorite Gable films is Homecoming, and I see it's in the group.

> I wonder if the Warner Archives has other bundles? There are alot Clark Gable films in that group that I'd love better copies of.

Yes, they do, but not a Clark Gable one, at least not yet:

http://www.wbshop.com/Value-Paks/YARCHIVEBUNDLE,default,sc.html

The 9 existing bundles so far are: Cary Grant, Crime Dramas, Dick Powell/Ruby Keeler, Gary Cooper, Lex Barker Tarzan, Marie Dressler (4), Marie Dressler (6), MGM Musicals of the 40s, and Silents.

There is a good chance they will bundle more titles in the future.

You may also want to know that you can rent most Warner Archive titles from classicflix.com

Hey! And it IS great to see all you guys!

I wish I had more time to post on boards. *sigh* I used to have plenty of time during the day, back in the old days. But until recently, for the past year or so I've been working 70+ hour weeks - no time for posting, film trading, etc. :(

But hey, these days, I'm just grateful to have a job. Haven't been able to post much...but I can't complain given the economy and the number of layoffs we have had at my company.....

Anyway, it really is great to see you guys. I just feel terrible that I have seemingly abandoned the community..... :(

Thanks for always welcoming me back, even though I've been so absent in recent months. You guys rock!

Hi b-girl! I totally understand about work---they've been laying off all around me and

I figure any week could be my last. I'm glad you still have your job, I just hope you

can go back to more normal hours soon, that must be killing!!

> Hey! Thanks very much, guys! I knew there must be another place to order that was more economical! The shopping section always seems to have high prices. ;)

>

Keep checking the Warner Archive thread down in the "DVD" section of this

board, if you can. They often post if there are sales, specials, coupon codes, etc...

>

> I wonder if the Warner Archives has other bundles? There are alot Clark Gable films in that group that I'd love better copies of. One of my favorite Gable films is Homecoming, and I see it's in the group.

I have only gotten one dvd so far, **** TONK, and it was pretty good. I have held

back because the price is a little high for me for picture quality that I can't say is

hugely better---and there are no extras, scene selections or subtitles or closed cpations,

something I've come to expect since I enjoy taking screencaps now. Still, I'm not

complaining because it could be the only DVD release many of these films will ever

see.

I'll eventually get some of the Coop titles (Bright Leaf, first) and Gable's, but am waiting for a sale.

Okay, just got done ordering the Coop Bundle. Thanks for giving me the link, guys. That made it really easy! And I'm really glad you told me about the bundle itself. That gave me a much better price!

And April - I agree that the prices are kinda high on the WB Archive films. I think the bundle prices are reasonable though - about $10 ea is much more reasonable given the lack of extras, etc.

I really want a few of those Gable movies, but not at $17.99. I'll wait and see if they do a Gable bundle, because as you know, I'd be happy to own all of them if the price is right. Like with Gary Cooper, I have all of Gable's films that have been released on DVD and most others from his catalog on DVD-R. But if the WB Archive offers them in a bundle at a reasonable price, I'd love to get better copies of the ones I have only on DVD-R.

I also want to check their holdings for other actors I collect avidly - I'd love to get my hands on a few William Powell films that are still missing from my collection. I positively dream of finding them some day!

Anyway, thanks again for all the help tonight!

I'll try to come around more. I always have such a nice time when I just take an evening and play around on the net, posting on this board, etc. Been sitting around on my sofa tonight, watching TCM and messing around on this board. Fun evening! (even if A Royal Scandal WAS one of the stupidest films I've seen, like EVER! LOL And was only made worse by the fact that I am a student of Russian history and language. She made me cringe every time she called him Alex-"i" ACK! Thank goodness My Blue Heaven was better!)

I saw this yesterday and it?s about the Warner Archives and how well they have been doing. They say that another major studio is planning to jump on board in the fall with classic and newer films being released and I can?t wait to find out which one it is. My money is on it possibly being Fox or Universal. Over the past couple years Fox was doing great with the amount of classic releases but recently they fired most of the people in their home video department and the releases have practically dried up. Maybe they see burn on demand as a better alternative and will start releasing again using this system. Over the past few years we?ve gotten some Paramount films from Universal and this past spring they released their first pre code collection that consisted solely of Paramount titles and it sold well. They are sitting on a goldmine with 20 years worth of Paramount films in addition to their own stuff and maybe they are finally seeing there is a market for them. Sony, who owns the Columbia catalog, has been doing well with their commercial releases and have many more scheduled for the rest of the year and while they could switch to burn on demand, they seem to be doing alright as they are so I?d put them third on my list of potential studios. I didn?t even mention Paramount itself b/c they are the most reluctant to release their films although they regularly put the tv shows they own out on dvd.

I have all my fingers and toes crossed that it?s Universal as they have the bulk of films I want. While I desperately want Paramount silents which they still own, there are more films held by Universal that I would like to have and maybe if it?s Universal jumping on the bandwagon, Paramount will follow since they have historically been the two most reluctant studios to release their classic films. We?ll just have to wait (impatiently) and see.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6668680.html?nid=4756&source=link&rid=5784328

> {quote:title=coopsgirl wrote:}{quote}

> I saw this yesterday and its about the Warner Archives and how well they have been doing. They say that another major studio is planning to jump on board in the fall with classic and newer films being released and I cant wait to find out which one it is.

That's really terrific news, thanks for posting that article!