Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

Not sure if I posted this one yet or not from *Beau Sabreur*. It's a beauty!!

beausabreur23.jpg

His pants look like they're made out of sweatpant material. I'm guessing they're not, but they sure look like it ;).

Very good news about another studio possibly jumping on board.

I'm hoping it will be Universal or Paramount.

For the most part I'm happy with Fox - between the massive Ford at Fox set, two excellent Tyrone Power sets, two Alice Faye sets, a Betty Grable set, a Carmen Miranda set, a couple of Horror sets, a Westerns set, a Hemmingway set, about a billion Shirley Temple sets, a John Wayne set or two, PLUS the Fox Studio Classics series and the Fox Film Noir series, I really can't complain. My favorite Fox stars are Tyrone Power, Gene Tierney, and Dana Andrews, and while I could do with a few more Dana Andrews films, his best ones are covered already (mainly in the film noir series)....and Tyrone Power has received excellent coverage. Gene Tierney has gotten reasonably good coverage also.

I'd really love to see Universal release a few more of those Screen Legend sets like they did for John Wayne, Cary Grant, Bing Crosby, James Stewart and Rock Hudson. Those were GREAT because they included some lesser-known films, which I was really happy about. For the women they did those 3 glamour collections for Carole Lombard, Mae West and Marlene Dietrich, but they weren't NEARLY as nice as the ones they did for the male actors. I'd love to see them pick up the Screen Legend series for several other actors and actresses!

And Paramount...where to start? They need to root around in their silents vault in the worst possible way, for a start. But with the exception of a super-duper John Wayne set I have, my DVD collection is pretty thin on Paramount releases, I'm afraid. They really need to fix that.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> My gosh, I had no idea Gary and Carole made a movie together. I almost didn't recognize her.

They made two. the other was with Shirley Temple, Now and Forever.

*Now and Forever* is on dvd as a two pack with one of Shirley?s real early films, Little Miss Marker. Sometimes I don?t recognize Carole either when she was still early in her career. I think it?s mainly the hairstyles, she looks different with the more sleek, early 30s styles than when she had her more carefree mid 30s and on hair. I?ve had a couple dreams where I?m me, but I look like Carole ? awesome!!

She and Gary were also a couple briefly (you probably already knew that though). Here?s a pic of them at a party but I don?t know if they went together or not, from the early 30s. I also have another article from a mag dated Aug ?33 and it has a pic of the two of them on a yacht trip together.

lesliehowardzeppomarxcarolelombardm.jpg

I am loving that picture for a couple of reasons.

I am grooving on Gary AND Leslie Howard, both looking great and in completely different ways....

Second, I think Gary looks nervous.... and who could blame him... the ladies body language is hysterical; the dark haired girl is leaning in toward Gary and coyly placing her hand over her chest. She looks like she is enjoying the contact. Carole is asserting herself by sitting up straighter and leaning in as well, with her hand close to Gary's leg. I see her posture saying, "he's MINE, don't forget."

Of course, they may have just been chatting over him, and he got bored.... :)

I should have included this but I forgot. The man in between Leslie and Gary is Zeppo Marx and the lady to Gary?s left is Zeppo?s wife.

The look on his face is hilarious and I have a few pics of him at parties with that same look. He does look very bored and he seems to be fidgeting with his thumb to pass the time. It doesn?t seem like he was too much of a party animal even though he went to quite a few; just part of the job I guess.

This pic from ?33 is one of my faves of Gary. I think it really captures him; the laid back, mellow personality with chicks flocked around him ;). The woman on the left is Mae Sunday, and the right is Mari Colman. I couldn?t find either one of them on imdb.com so I don?t know if they were actresses or not. I got their names from the caption at the Corbis site.

maesundayandmaricolmanatparty1933.jpg

Once he and Rocky got married they had parties quite a bit but they kept them small with just close friends so they wouldn?t have to mingle around with people they barely knew. I read in a book or article somewhere that you were really ?in? if you got an invite to one of their shindigs and that they were really classy and all that good stuff. Oh, how I?d love to go to a party like that!

Mongo posted this in the Candids thread and I thought I'd put it over here too. It's from Maria's book and the caption explained that the dogs had 'done their business' inside and were in trouble so they were put out.

candidnewcooperpets.jpg

I think Gary Cooper is one of the finest actors to ever be in the movies and his 2 Oscars will always keep him at the top of the rankings. Eventhough one of his oscar's did not come from his portrayal of Lou Gehrig in the *Pride of the Yankees*, I feel he will be remembered eternally for that role. Because to non-baseball fans Gary Cooper is Lou Gehrig and he gets to recite one of the most famous lines that anyone had spoken in the 20th Century........"Today, I consider myself one of the luckiest man on the face of the earth"......Great stuff!!

Free films, special screenings | July 16-22

Posted on Wed, Jul. 15, 2009

Kansas City Star

Today We Live (1933) Joan Crawford and Gary Cooper shoot sparks in this war romance. 6:30 p.m. Monday, Film Vault, Kansas City Public Library.

_Today We Live_ (1933)

Date and time of event: 07/20/2009 - 6:30pm

In cooperation with National World War I Museum Vice President of Museum Programs and cinema expert Eli Paul, the Kansas City Public Library screens a film series dedicated to The War to End All Wars. Every installment is the screen adaptation of a literary work. War Reels takes place on Mondays at 6:30 p.m. throughout July 2009 in the Stanley H. Durwood Film Vault at the Central Library, 14 W. 10th St.

http://www.kclibrary.org/events/138/all/all/all/all/all/all

CelluloidKid,

Have to be honest, I was rather disappointed in the 1939 sound remake of BEAU GESTE. The original 1926 Silent Version with Ronald Coleman, William Powell and a great All Star Cast in it's own right, is a much better movie, Far more gripping. And allot darker and gritter. Made me hope all the more that TCM might be finally able to show it sometime too. The Silent version definitely deserves to be seen.

HollywoodGolightly,

There are numerous threads where the Silent BEAU GESTE is mentioned. I don't know if there is any one specific thread dedicated to it or not? I had just seen it a few times recently, and so that has allot of influence on the way I viewed the 1939 version. But I can do better than produce a thread. I can provide a link where you can see a chunk of the movie on Youtube. This is not the complete film mind you, a little over half of the picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQzqy37-flM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDZFhGMThAY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGfrF6wAgTY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xympbg6YJrg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO6PHJ6ghRQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEkmqzjTfaA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKxVmWUBhUg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vssPpDsGZFw

HollywoodGolightly,

This footage is from a 1993 Japanese Laser-disc release. Although the music is not. The film is semi-complete on the Laser-disc. I have it on DVD-R if you are interested in seeing it.

There has never been an official release to my knowledge from Paramount. Not even in VHS format of the Silent BEAU GESTE. One of that studios biggest Silent films and it has gone completely ignored. I'm sure there are good archival prints stashed someplace. Sorry to say I don't know who has them?