Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

> {quote:title=coopsgirl wrote:}{quote}

> Here's a bunch of pics. I'm just posting the links so I won't have to resize the photos.

>

> This is one of my faves that I just got off ebay. It's from 1932.

>

>

> http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww331/troilus09/pics%202/garybypool1932_001.jpg

>

This one is from "The Devil and the Deep" (1932) in case by any chance you weren't sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings to all. I've been out of the loop as of late as I broke my lower left arm/wrist in 6 places right before Christmas. I'm getting better now with a plate inside me for support but might have trouble getting through metal detectors from now on. I've also lost 75 pounds in the last 75 days with 25 pounds to go to reach my target weight of 215. I can't really expect to go any lower than that at 6'3" and as large boned as I am.

I would like to encourage people to sign up for notification at amazon on 3 Gary Cooper titiles that they have listed for future blu-ray release in High Noon, Sergeant York and Mr Deeds goes to town:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dblu-ray&field-keywords=%22Gary+Cooper%22&x=18&y=23

It might help to get them released sooner with fan interest in these titles.

CoopfanDan,

So very sorry to hear about your accident! I hope you will heal quickly, take good care of yourself. :)

Thanks for mentioning that notification, I hope those Coop titles will soon be available on blu-ray! :D

coopsgirl - very beautiful photo, thank you for sharing it with us.

Also, I would like to say that I did get alice in wonderland and the TCM Cary Grant box set with The Devil and the Deep starring Grant and Cooper. The Devil and the Deep really had a nice print of the movie and I am very pleased with it. The movie really had Gary Cooper in it longer than Cary Grant. I'm hoping that TCM releases another set with 3 early Gary Cooper titles. TCM has a prestine print of City Streets that I have a copy of from TCM in France and do hope that it is one that is released in a box set minus the french subtitles.

Hi Dan! I'm sorry to hear about your arm, but good going on your weight loss program. Just be sure you keep healthy.

I didn't know TCM had a good print of City Streets...how tantalizing! Let's hope they do get it out there, it's a very intriguing and unusual film in Coop's career.

I agree that it's odd they market DEVIL AND THE DEEP as a Cary Grant film when it's really Cooper's.

First I had to laugh when I saw the subject here; ' Any Gary Cooper Fans?'

Well I sure hope so since this is a classic movie site@! Cooper is one my top 5 or so favorite actors and as classic movies fans know, was in many, many first rate movies.

I have also always wondered why Devil and The Deep is listed more often as a Grant movie than Cooper movie. I believe it is because this was an early movie for Grant and one in which he made an impact that helped him get bigger and better roles. But it still is strange to have a Grant box set and have this as one of the choices.

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Apr 5, 2010 9:28 PM

Well since Gary Cooper is my favorite actor and Cary Grant is my second favorite, it didn't make all that much difference to me. It's nice that they releasd the only two movies they were in together in The Devil and the Deep and Alice in Wonderland. Perhaps not anywhere near their best but still nice to own them both finally.

Well I like Grant just a little more than Cooper. Not so much because of the acting but because of all the great comdies Grant was in (but Cooper is great in Along Came Jones which is very camp!).

But it really is spliting hairs as it relates to these two.

Thanks y'all for the nice comments about the pic and the video!

Hey Dan,

I'm so sorry to hear about your arm. I hope you are healing alright. That's good about your weight loss though. I went to amazon and signed up to be notified about the three possible bluray releases for Gary. Those would be excellent choices for an HD release, of course I'd take any of his films in HD :).

Hi Angie,

I'm not so sure how well Mr Deeds will look in Blu-ray as it is not as good a shape as High Noon and Sergeant York. I would have thought one of your favorites Pride of the Yankees would already be out on Blu-ray as MGM was re-releasing it every single year on dvd except for this year. MGM seems to have backed off their classics a little. I'm hoping when the Hanging Tree is finally released it will be on blu-ray and dvd like The africian queen was recently released as. I have heard from several dvd sites that the Hanging Tree is being worked on by WB, so I guess it is only a matter of time at this point. Like you I would take just about anything released on Gary Cooper in Blu-ray.

My arm is just about completly healed now. I may not have broke it falling on ice if I had not let myself get so heavy.

Yes Gary Cooper was not in near as many comedies as Cary Grant. Cary Grant was not in near as many serious roles as Gary Cooper. So they complement each other very nicely and I get a wide variety of movies as a huge fan of both of them. I think I have all but 6 Cary Grant movies now and all but 3 of Gary Cooper's none silent movies. I think when Gary was asked about Cary Grant, he stated that he was no competion or threat to him since they did entirely different movies.

Wow! How did I miss this? There's no info about it at my usual places (HTF, Nitrateville, Classic Flix). This one must have flown under the radar. I'll definitely have to pick it up, thanks for letting us know.

Yeah, I noticed they have some other films listed that I have bought from Movies Unlimited and City Streets isn't listed on the Universal Collections page so it probably is the same old copy that's making the rounds.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't forget Coop's birthday this May 7th! TCM has a great b-day tribute lined up:

*It's A Big Country* (1951) 7:15am ET

Seven stories celebrate the glorious diversity of American life.

Cast: Ethel Barrymore, Keefe Brasselle, Gary Cooper, Nancy Davis Dir: Richard Thorpe, Don Weis, John Sturges, Don Hartman, William A. Wellman, BW-89 mins, TV-PG

*Man Of The West* (1958) 9am ET

A reformed outlaw is among the hostages when his former colleagues rob a train.

Cast: Gary Cooper, Julie London, Lee J. Cobb, Arthur O'Connell Dir: Anthony Mann C-99 mins, TV-PG

*Meet John Doe* (1941) 10:45am ET

A reporter's fraudulent story turns a tramp into a national hero and makes him a pawn of big business.

Cast: Gary Cooper, Barbara Stanwyck, Edward Arnold, Walter Brennan Dir: Frank Capra BW-122 mins, TV-G

*Sergeant York* (1941) 1pm ET

True story of the farm boy who made the transition from religious pacifist to World War I hero.

Cast: Gary Cooper, Walter Brennan, Joan Leslie, George Tobias Dir: Howard Hawks BW-134 mins, TV-G

*Mr. Deeds Goes to Town* (1936) 3:30pm ET

When he inherits a fortune, a small-town poet has to deal with the corruption of city life.

Cast: Gary Cooper, Jean Arthur, George Bancroft, Lionel Stander Dir: Frank Capra BW-116 mins, TV-G

*The Fountainhead* (1949) 5:30pm ET

An idealistic architect battles corrupt business interests and his love for a married woman.

Cast: Gary Cooper, Patricia Neal, Raymond Massey, Kent Smith Dir: King Vidor BW-113 mins, TV-PG

What a nice day of programming on TCM. :)

I was wondering which most people prefer of Gary's two Capra films: Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936) or Meet John Doe (1941)? I've always been more sentimental about Deeds.