Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Fandango

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

I would like to see The Plainsman or NWMP, like 'em both.

Edited by: don44 on Sep 11, 2010 3:59 PM

Along Came Jones. Very funny movie with Loretta Young, William Demarest, and as the bad guy Duryea.

But hey I love many Cooper movies - he could do it all.

*Meet John Doe*--I love the last part where he goes up to the roof. It's so cool. People said he wasn't acting because he did it so naturally.

*Meet John Doe*--I love the last part where he goes up to the roof. It's so cool. People said he wasn't acting because he did it so naturally.

*Ball of Fire*, *Sergeant York* , and *Friendly Persuasion*.

Of those three, Cooper's performance as Jess Birdwell is my favorite. Of course, *The Real Glory*, *Beau Geste* and and *Lives of a Bengal Lancer* are tops.

I also love "Meet John Doe" but many people felt the ending wasn't good since was too much sugar. I tend to agree and if the movie was done after the war he would of jump and died and to me that would of been a better ending. Why? Well WWII didn't rid the world of the "bad guys" but only replaced them with another set. The ending as written makes it appear that all will be well when it clearly wasn't.

Now of course some might say that Doe's death would of been too much, but the movie is both a comedy (mostly all in the first half) and a drama (mostly all in the second half) so it would of stilled 'worked' with a noir type ending.

I also love "Meet John Doe" but many people felt the ending wasn't good since was too much sugar. I tend to agree and if the movie was done after the war he would of jump and died and to me that would of been a better ending. Why? Well WWII didn't rid the world of the "bad guys" but only replaced them with another set. The ending as written makes it appear that all will be well when it clearly wasn't.

Now of course some might say that Doe's death would of been too much, but the movie is both a comedy (mostly all in the first half) and a drama (mostly all in the second half) so it would of stilled 'worked' with a noir type ending.

Saw some of Gary Cooper last night in "Morocco" (1930). Watched a liitle of his screen persona being formed here in one of his earlier movies. And Dietrich was softer and more expressive than she was in "Rancho Notorious" but more on that in the appropriate thread.

at long last...

h1. The Hanging Tree

...is coming to TCM!!!

Tuesday, February 8th at 1:30 p.m. EST as part of 31 Days of Oscar.