Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Fandango

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

Great to see another Coop fan here. I think you'll like it. It may not be a "love it at first sight" flick like Mr. Deeds or other Capra movies, but it's a movie that gets better with each viewing. I'm hoping the print TCM is showing tonight in HD is an improvement over the 70th Anniversary edition I just bought.

Here are some tribute videos I found for Gary "Smile when you call me that" Cooper

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=155311&tstart=0&start=0

I'd love to see Desire on TCM, but alas, that isn;t going to happen anytime soon. He's different in it--talkative and cheerful. Interesting and he has that wonderful chemistry with Marlene Dietrich. A fun movie.

I really don't understand Wayne's complait about High Noon. To me that just shows that Wayne was a little thick.

Just a reminder that The Hanging Tree is on at 1:30 pm today. Wondering how it will look on TCM HD. I"ve a VHS copy that was bought in the nineties, has anyone heard anything about a DVD release? Having just got a Blu Ray player it would be nice to see any of Coops flicks in this format.

Sgt. York. Seen it a dozen times. Always get a big laugh at 2 scenes: First is at the hotel after he gets back home. He picks up and looks at an absolutely bizarre photo of Ma. The second is when he gets off the train at home and he and Ma can only stare at each other.

Last night I saw online the fabulous Steichen b/w of Mr. Gary Cooper, which wasn't my first time, either. Good Lord! What a stare. Can I have some more of that, please?

Last night I saw online the fabulous Steichen b/w of Mr. Gary Cooper, which wasn't my first time, either. Good Lord! What a stare. Can I have some more of that, please?

I get another chance to see City Streets after midnight, too bad it coincides with Daylight Savings Time switch!

Edited by: MrJordan on Mar 12, 2011 4:07 PM

Evidently Clint Walker is. I caught a Cheyenne episode yesterday that was a total knockoff of Springfield Rifle. When the actor playing Phil Carey's part was killed it looked like the movie scene down to the way the horse fell. It was fun watching to see how well the teleplay followed the film which it did right down to Col. Sharp's name. I don't remember the title of the episode but it's from the 1956-57 season.

P. S. I am, too.

Great news, finally a Coop flick on Blu-Ray! Can't wait to see that great Ernest Laszlo ( Stalag 17, Kiss Me Deadly) cinematography of those Mexican landscapes. The DVD was slightly grainy so let's hope they improve on that. But hey, like I said it's Coop on Blu-Ray so for someone who treasures his VHS copy of His Woman taped off the CBC in the 80's I shouldn't be so critical.

True confession: I've been reading TCM forum threads everytime. But I didn't care making an account and spill the things I've been longing to say. I wasn't, however, able to suppress temptation. I just love Coop so darn much.

I just thought it's time for me to tell this to ya. I didn't like Coop at first because his name is always not mentioned, out of the list of overly hyped classic actors. I stuck for Grant, Bogey, etc because they're bumped and always mentioned. However I gave Coop a try via Ball of Fire. He won my heart. I watched many of his movies, and proven that this guy can do absolutely no wrong. So natural, nothing too corny, nothing over-acted, just perfect. And even "perfect" is an understatement for him.

I hope you welcome me with open arms. Dang every night I just rant to myself and my brothers that what Coop receives now is definitely NOT what he deserves. He deserves more than what people can offer Grant or Gable. Gee, even Grant's name was patterned from Coop's greatness.

(Don't misunderstand, fans of Grant, I too am an avid fan still)

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}

> I really don't understand Wayne's complait about High Noon. To me that just shows that Wayne was a little thick.

When I heard about his complain I gave High Noon a second, third, fourth look. AM I CRAZY OR WHAT BECAUSE I DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING BAD OR EVEN IMMORAL ABOUT HIGH NOON! Never liked Wayne.

What's with all the Coop hate?

I tried, note, tried, to watch YouTube clips having Cooper in it. It makes me sad, really darn sad to read all the Coop hate. It's really having me torn apart. Being glad that he had cancer? He died at an early age? Ranting that he be the costar of Hepburn in Love in the Afternoon? Seriously they must be thankful that Gary accepted such a project... with such fine performance. Too natural and just perfect.

I'm glad there is a thread created for this. I'm eternally grateful. I love Gary Cooper more than any actor and I'm proud of it!

America should wish it had a role model like Gary Cooper today. Strong, silent and with a steely resolve that we don't see in our feminine men stars of today.

By the way, I'm a big fan of Gary Cooper.

Jake

Gary is my favorite actor, too. :) A few pages back in this thread was a very interesting conversation on *High Noon*. I recommend you have a look at it. I've never seen any other discussion of the film quite like it.