Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

Fandango

I have no new Coops to add to what you all have already listed here. I have likely seen maybe half as many as you, Mr. Grey.. so I am sure I am the least among everyone in terms of how many I have seen.. but I do enjoy several of his films very much.

My most faves for him would be (and these really are in NO particular order.. because.. ha.. as you KNOW I don't make lists...)

High Noon

Sgt. York

Along Came Jones

The Westerner

Friendly Persuasion

Meet John Doe

Ball of Fire

The Plainsman

Mr. Deeds Goes To Town

The Hanging Tree

Man of the West

Beau Geste

And although I DO like Wings.. a lot.. I have such a hard time thinking of this as a "Gary" movie.. its kind of like calling Big Jake a "Maureen" movie..ha. They are both such a small part of the movie as a whole.

Anyway.. I have seen a few others too... but these are all the ones I could list as favorites for him, most likely. Still... I can see from everyone else's list that I DO have a long way to go to see more Gary's. ha. I will have to check in on some of these titles to get a few new "must sees" added to my wanna see list.

*I have no new Coops to add to what you all have already listed here. I have likely seen maybe half as many as you, Mr. Grey.. so I am sure I am the least among everyone in terms of how many I have seen.. but I do enjoy several of his films very much.*

To have seen 20 films of any performer is saying something, to me.

*My most faves for him would be (and these really are in NO particular order.. because.. ha.. as you KNOW I don't make lists...)*

*High Noon*

*Sgt. York*

*Along Came Jones*

*The Westerner*

*Friendly Persuasion*

*Meet John Doe*

*Ball of Fire*

*The Plainsman*

*Mr. Deeds Goes To Town*

*The Hanging Tree*

*Man of the West*

*Beau Geste*

You just copied Movieman's list! :P

Have you ever seen *Peter Ibbetson* ?

*And although I DO like Wings.. a lot.. I have such a hard time thinking of this as a "Gary" movie.. its kind of like calling Big Jake a "Maureen" movie..ha. They are both such a small part of the movie as a whole.*

Oh, that's just me being an idiotic completist. Gary Cooper is listed as an "extra" in *The Vanishing American*.

To have seen 20 films of any performer is saying something, to me

Ha.. what does it say... pathetic wannabe compared to everyone else??? :D Besides.. I don' t know of I can say I have seen 20.. maybe close, if I sit down and think about it... I think there were a dozen or 13 or so on my favorite list.. ha.. but to be honest I don't know how many more for him I have seen. The real truth is I have not seen too many for him I did NOT like. So most of what is on my list is most of what I have seen.

You just copied Movieman's list

Ha.. no WAY. I may be a "wannabe" but I am NO "copycat" :D Besides, his list has several on it I have even seen before. ha. He has seen way more Gary's than I have (even if he only listed a few)

Have you ever seen *Peter Ibbetson*

No, I never have. I remember someone on here telling me about it once (it might have even been you??) Its been a while since I remember hearing of it, though. I looked it up again... it looks almost "Dickensian" ha. I might have to check into that one soon.

I guess based on their reputation and my preferences I am a little surprised that "York" and "Friendly Persuasion" and "Deeds" were so low. I get they would be middling on the list but they seem very low.

I find "Codura" terminally dull. Most things I've read about it don't rank near as high as you. "Springfield Riflle" and "Dallas" are middle of the pack but more about what comes later on your list.

It's been some time since I've seen some of these pictures so I need to get on board.

One I saw in the last year or so was "Bluebeard's Eighth Wife." Copper and Claudette Colbert star and I thought it was kind of fun but from what I've read elsewhere I seem to be in the minority.

One which I love which seems to keep NOT making these lists is "Desire" with Marlene Dietrich. They were both in their prime and Cooper was photographed just as lovingly as Dietrich, so it's something to behold for that reason alone. It's been a while since I've seen it (I think A&E showed it back when they used to do such things.) but I remember it being a very enjoyable light comedy with Cooper very much in his element. AMC showed "Peter Ibbetson" and I transferred my VHS to disc, but the quality had deteriorated so much by that point that it's an effort to watch it. Sure wish TCM would show it.

Edited by: DougieB on Mar 4, 2013 9:56 AM

*I guess based on their reputation and my preferences I am a little surprised that "York" and "Friendly Persuasion" and "Deeds" were so low. I get they would be middling on the list but they seem very low.*

I don't like the message of *Sergeant York*. I'm one who has a difficult time with heavy religious messages and that film is one of the worst with that. And to mix religion and war is not a good thing with me.

*Friendly Persuasion* is a warm and loving film, but the way the characters talk and behave is too dry for me.

I like the little romance in *Mr. Deeds Goes to Town* but the rest of the film doesn't thrill me. The courtroom climax wears me out.

*I find "Codura" terminally dull.* *Most things I've read about it don't rank near as high as you.*

*They Came to Cordura* is actually a film that has really stuck with me and I usually question my ranking it too low. I think it's a really good character study and I love the danger each of the selfish persons in the group brings to the unselfish. I've never Gary Cooper play a more brave role, which is ironic when you consider the character he plays. In terms of performance, I'd say this could arguably be his best of all.

*"Springfield Riflle" and "Dallas" are middle of the pack but more about what comes later on your list.*

I was very surprised to find myself liking both of those films. They are truly fun pictures. I think Gary Cooper is at his most relaxed in those films. They reminded me of some of his 30s adventures flicks. It's almost as if Coop is like Clark Gable or Errol Flynn.

*One I saw in the last year or so was "Bluebeard's Eighth Wife." Copper and Claudette Colbert star and I thought it was kind of fun but from what I've read elsewhere I seem to be in the minority.*

That's the film Miss G has mentioned to me to watch a couple of times and it's the Coop film I wish to see most because it's directed by Ernst Lubitsch. I keep hoping the box set it is in will drop in price.

*Ha.. what does it say... pathetic wannabe compared to everyone else??? :DBesides.. I don' t know of I can say I have seen 20.. maybe close, if I sit down and think about it... I think there were a dozen or 13 or so on my favorite list.. ha.. but to be honest I don't know how many more for him I have seen. The real truth is I have not seen too many for him I did NOT like. So most of what is on my list is most of what I have seen.*

To have seen ten films of a performer is pretty good, actually. And I'd say Gary Cooper is someone who you would like most of his work. What I have discovered is that I like Coop but he wasn't in the greatest of films. He was in many solid to good pictures. A lot of that has to do with the directors he worked with.

*Have you ever seen Peter Ibbetson*

*No, I never have. I remember someone on here telling me about it once (it might have even been you??) Its been a while since I remember hearing of it, though. I looked it up again... it looks almost "Dickensian" ha. I might have to check into that one soon.*

It's actually a spiritual film that I love. It's very "otherwordly." In my very early days on this board, Miss G and OrsonLubitsch recommended I watch it. They really hit a home run with it. The film woke me up to Henry Hathaway, too.

I'll admit it has been some time since I've seen "Cordura." Encore Westerns shows it often but I don't really want to see it in Pan/Scan. I didn't like the overall picture but I don't remember much about Cooper's performance though.

I get where "York" can come off overly "preachy." The conversion at the church is sudden and I can see where it is either uncomfortable as I don't think they happen like that too often. I do like the discussion of his beliefs with the captain and I think the captain treats him well and respects his wishes, which I guess he must do, if he hopes to change York's mind.

Do I remember that you liked "Return To Paradise"? I know we talked about it and as far as I remember it hasn't been on TV since then.

This has all been an interesting read,

Hey Jack-in-the-box!

This is how I have liked Coop:

1. Peter Ibbetson

2. High Noon

3. Morocco

4. Love in the Afternoon

5. Man of the West

6. Meet John Doe

7. The Westerner

8. For Whom the Bell Tolls

9. The Lives of a Bengal Lancer

10. Wings

11. Vera Cruz

12. They Came to Cordura

13. Return to Paradise

14. Cloak and Dagger

15. The Wedding Night

16. Along Cames Jones

17. Springfield Rifle

18. Dallas

19. The Cowboy and the Lady

20. Ball of Fire

21. Souls at Sea

22. Saratoga Trunk

23. Garden of Evil

24. The General Died at Dawn

25. Good Sam

26. The Naked Edge

27. Ten North Frederick

28. Design for Living

29. The Wreck of the Mary Deare

30. The Hanging Tree

31. The Plainsman

32. Beau Geste

33. Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

34. Alias Jesse James

35. The Real Glory

36. Blowing Wild

37. Unconquered

38. Friendly Persuasion

39. City Streets

40. Fighting Caravans

41. The Pride of the Yankees

42. The Winning of Barbara Worth

43. The Fountainhead

44. North West Mounted Police

45. The Adventures of Marco Polo

46. A Farewell to Arms

47. The Vanishing American

48. Sergeant York

49. Alice in Wonderland

50. It's a Big Country

What's up with Pride of the Yankees being so low? That's really surprising! I'm also surprised Along Came Jones is so high.

What did you like so much about For Whom the Bell Tolls? I already knew about Sgt. York being so low. But then some people don't appreciate cuteness when they see it. Heehee! :P

Hello musicman Chris!

I'll admit it has been some time since I've seen "Cordura." Encore Westerns shows it often but I don't really want to see it in Pan/Scan. I didn't like the overall picture but I don't remember much about Cooper's performance though.

I have a question. Do you remember why you didn't like "Codura"? The reason I ask, is because a lot of people i've talked to about it do love this film and I didn't like it so much either, for a few reasons.

Hi Sweet T:

I've missed seeing you around. (Of course, I haven't been everywhere on here.)

Mostly, I recall that is was long and slow. They did spend a great deal of time pulling that rail car. Maybe some cutting and tweaking might have helped for me.

And you?

(I hope all is well. I guess you have been busy.)

*I've missed seeing you around. (Of course, I haven't been everywhere on here.)*

I have missed you too! I'm glad you are doing well. every time i see Prime Suspect now, i always think of you and your bride watching it. isn't that funny? heehee! *Mostly, I recall that is was long and slow. They did spend a great deal of time pulling that rail car. Maybe some cutting and tweaking might have helped for me.*

Yes! It was very slow, that's one of the reasons I didn't like it. It's kind of like Cooper's other film Northwest Mounted Police. That one was so slow for me too. I couldn't get into Cordura like I really wanted to. I always thought it would be so amazing to see Rita Hayworth and Cooper in thesame film opposite each other, but I didn't really see the chemistry there. How disappointing. But then it also wasn't romantic enough for me. heehee! You know me! :P I did like how she portrayed her character. I just wish she could have pushed it an extra inch or two more.

It's hard for me to watch it, though, because when Gary gets beat up severly, it makes me cry...every time! I have to close my eyes now when i watch it.

*(I hope all is well. I guess you have been busy.)*

Yes, very well, thank you! How are you?

:D I have been busy, but there is always time for the board. I will be attending the TCM Film Festival, though. I am VERY excited for it! I have wanted to go forever! Heehee! But I haven't figured out who else is going from here yet, if anyone.

Things are moving along.

It is funny but nice that "Prime Suspect" reminds you of The Bride and me.

I think it's frand you are going to the festival. I have really wanted to go but have never been able to afford it.

People I know have been in the past include Kyle, lzcutter, SueSue, and CineMaven. I'm not sure how many are going but my best bet is start with Lynn (lzcutter.) They would love to meet you.

I've had the pleasure of meeting two people in person and it was a great thing.

Things are moving along.

Yay! that's always a good sign!

It is funny but nice that "Prime Suspect" reminds you of The Bride and me.

Ya'll are sooooo cute!

I think it's frand you are going to the festival. I have really wanted to go but have never been able to afford it.

I had to save up for a while to do this, but it's something that tuly excites me!

People I know have been in the past include Kyle, lzcutter, SueSue, and CineMaven. I'm not sure how many are going but my best bet is start with Lynn (lzcutter.) They would love to meet you.

I just contacted all of them, so hopefully we can all meet with each other. That's probably one of the things that MOST excites me right now. :)

I've had the pleasure of meeting two people in person and it was a great thing.

when? and for what?

I got to meet *Sue Sue* when she came to Baltimore for a conference. She and I had dinner one night and then The Bride and one of her friends joined us for dinner another. She's terrific. We even talked about people here.

On a trip to visit my son for a weekend The Bride and I met *Jack Favell* and her family. They couldn't have been more wonderful and fun. She even had peanut M&Ms for me. A fine time was had by all. It was too bad there wasn't more time with them.

Someday I'm going to meet some others - if they'll have me.

Oh it looks like you had lots of fun with Sue sue and Jackie! If you are ever in Austin,TX or any surrounding cities, you can always come visit me too! I will even make you some chocolate chip cookies or some brownies. yummy!

I think i have only met in person, Angie(coopsgirl), kim (mrscooper) and MissG (but only on skype).

Edited by: butterscotchgreer on Mar 19, 2013 2:55 PM

i still regret that i didn't get a chance to meet you and your bride when i swung down there two years ago to pick up nikki. but a sick kitten and a whiny 8-year-old meant we had to make it a short trip, unfortunately!

butterscotch, i know you'll be in good hands with the TCM members and staff. it will be a trip you won't forget.

You'd be the treat but brownies and cookies would be great. The Bride has some family in TX so I'll keep that in mind.

Oh that would be marvelous if you came to visit your family down here! I Look forward to that in the future!

If you're ever in or around DC/Baltimore you let me know.

Oh, I shall! Thank you dahling! I have been to both Baltimore and DC a few years ago with my parents. I thought it was so pretty up there! The Smithsonian was worth it, but when i got home, grandmama was disappointed, because i didn't steal the Ruby Slippers. Heehee!

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy, Cowboy Chris! -- Happy Easter to you and yours.

*I'll admit it has been some time since I've seen "Cordura." Encore Westerns shows it often but I don't really want to see it in Pan/Scan. I didn't like the overall picture but I don't remember much about Cooper's performance though.*

When I first watched the film, I was working on a detailed review of the film with my thoughts included. This is back in the days when I'd actually do some heavy writing on the board. :D I saved my draft but never finished it. This is what I had written:

I have watched four Coop films over the past couple of weeks and I'm going to start sharing my thoughts on these films over the next week or so. The films I have watched are *They Came to Cordura*, *Return to Paradise*, *The Fountainhead*, and *The General Died at Dawn*. I'm going to start with *They Came to Cordura*.

*Wind, Sand, Silence... and Spoiler.*

*They Came to Cordura* is a very solid film, one that I enjoy but one that I don't fully embrace yet. I think with repeat viewings, my appreciation for the film will rise, for it is my kind of film. I expected the film to be about bravery and cowardice, and it does feature this, but I found it to be more about selfishness and unselfishness, childishness, and the judging of others. All of these things connect with me, on many different levels.

The film's path is put into motion by Colonel Rogers (Robert Keith). The Colonel has drawn up his plans for an attack on the hacienda. He's decided to do things his way, which happens to be an outdated way. He is thinking selfishly and this selfish behavior ultimately places his men in severe danger.

The film's two biggest themes are presented to us in the planning of the attack:

Colonel Rogers: "Now this woman, this Geary woman, the one who owns the ranch."

First Soldier: "Well, what can she do. These bandits come and take what they want or..."

Colonel Rogers: "She's giving aid and comfort to the enemy."

First Soldier: "She takes no sides, Senor Colonel."

Colonel Rogers: "No sides?! Why she's an American. Gentleman, you've all heard what's going on in France, or you've seen signs of it here; planes, trucks. 'The day of the soldier on horse is over,' they say. This may be the last cavalry campaign ever fought. Well, if it is, we're going to show them something they'll never forget. At daybreak, I'm going to line this entire regiment up in single-line abreast, and we're going to have a last, classic cavalry charge."

Lt. Fowler (Tab Hunter): "I wish we had our sabres, sir."

Colonel Rogers: "Son, I wish we had them, too."

Second Soldier: "Sir, did you say, regiment in line, single-line abreast.

Colonel Rogers: "You bet I said it."

Second Soldier: But, I beg your pardon, Colonel. Most of us have never seen regiment line, even on parade."

Colonel Rogers: "Then this is your lucky day because you're going to see it now. Now, gentleman, let's all pray that God and his goodness will give us this battle."

The Colonel has already decided he's going to do things his way and he's also judging Geary's (Rita Hayworth) motives without knowing them for sure. Everything he sees, he wants to see. Everything he doesn't want to see, he doesn't. Damn the facts. He's also made up his mind that this is going to be his shining moment; his time in the sun. He doesn't care about the men he's been placed in charge of. Not at all. He only cares about himself and his glory.

As expected, the Colonel's stubborn, selfish plan places the men in peril and it will be up to the bravery and courage of a few to save the entire group. Lt. Fowler takes command by charging the hacienda. His youthful ignorance helps fuel his courage. He's soon followed by others, namely Sgt. Chawk (Van Heflin), Cpl. Trubee (Richard Conte), and Pvt. Renziehausen (Dick York). Their acts of adrenaline-driven courage save the day and the hacienda is overtaken.

The next big moment in the film is on the heavy-handed side, but it's still quite effective. Tom (Gary Cooper) approaches the Colonel as he finishes up praying inside the hacienda. The Colonel turns to Tom and says:

"Tom. I've been praying, Tom, and thanking God for giving me a victory. A charge! Think of it, Tom. Maybe the last one for the ol' cavalry. Oh, how I wish your father were alive to see it. Why this will make a whole issue of the 'Cavalry Journal,' Tom. They'll cheer it on the floor of Congress. Do you realize that I may have my general's star before the week's out? Well, 39 years I've waited for the day. I'm 63, you know. Oh, they'll put me out to grass in August, but, God and his goodness has allowed me to gather the fruits of my years."

The above monologue by the Colonel features one of my biggest pet peeves: ownership of God. The Colonel is claiming God for himself, which is an extremely selfish act in my eyes. Men died in the battle, on both sides. Those who died, were they all heathens? Did they not pray hard enough? Why did God only choose the Colonel and his side to be "victorious"? Why? My skin crawls every time I hear someone take ownership of God for victories between humans. I hear it a lot in sports.

Tom ends up denying the Colonel his citation, thus denying him his wish for glory. This sends the Colonel over the deep end, causing him to act like a selfish child who didn't get his way. His grand scheme has been spoiled by Tom, and he's fuming. So what does he do? Like a coward, he goes right after Tom and his weak spot:

Colonel Rogers: "You're not dismissed, Major. You're an awards officer because I recommended you for it. I could have recommended a court martial for you, for cowardice in the face of the enemy. Oh, I could give you an alternative, only one and you'd crawl to Washington with my citation. If I had it to do again, Tom, I never would. You have to live with yourself, yes, but I have to live with what I did for you. Well, it's justice I suppose. What I saved you, I cost myself. But don't misunderstand me, I didn't do it for your sake, but for your father's."

I found those words to be interesting. In terms of the story, this is the first time we learn of Tom's secret. We have been let into his world, a fragile world that has mentally scarred and shaped him for a long time.

I also find the Colonel's words to be compelling because his recommendation for Tom looks to be an unselfish one on the surface, but is it? Sure, he didn't provide the recommendation for Tom, but he did do it for his father, but did he also do this because it would better his own chances of receiving the glory he sought since he was somewhat close to Tom? Possibly, but it's not a certainty.

The film's trek to Cordura is officially off now and what we will slowly learn is that those on this trek are all selfish and childish in their own ways and they have their reasons for being this way. What's driving their selfishness and childishness is what we need to find out, and we will.

Before the tension mounts, Coop delivers pearls of wisdom:

Tom: "Lady, you're definitely much too logical for a woman."

:)

The first sign of tension sees Geary smoking cigarettes in front of the men. The men haven't tasted tobacco in weeks and are dying to do so. She's most definitely taunting the fellas. The fellas also haven't had any liquor or, more significantly, any women in weeks, either. Yes, the table is being set with tobacco, but that's merely an appetizer. A full-course meal is what some of the guys really want.

Next up is a conversation between Tom and Lt. Fowler. This conversation gives us our first real good look at Fowler and his motives.

Fowler: Excuse me, sir. I haven't had a chance to ask you yet, what you, what you thought of the fight? I mean, what was your professional opinion, as an observer?

Tom: Well, I expect you'll get a big write-up in the Cavalry Journal. But as a military operation, conceived and carried out, it was a farce.

Fowler: A farce?

Tom: Exactly. We all charged in there like a whole gang of Don Quixotes.

Fowler: But we routed 'em.

Tom: Of, course.

Fowler: But isn't it cavalry tradition to take chances, to gamble against the odds.

Tom: That may be. And no officer ever takes command into battle with only hearsay knowledge of the terrain and enemy positions. Not even one still wet behind the ears.

Fowler: Nevertheless, all the objectives were taken,

Tom: Yes, because the Mexicans didn't have rapid-fire weapons. And because, a few men, like you, took the initiative at the right time.

Fowler: Like myself?

Lt. Fowler is looking for praise like a son from his father. He wants to know he's done good. Tom gives him this praise, legitimately, but he also, like a father, tells him that how the plan was carried out was all wrong. The son doesn't understand this since victory is all that matters to him, not the how or why. The father knows they were lucky to survive, mainly because they had some advantages working for them.

Adelaide Geary (lovely Rita) is the next person to reveal some of her motives.

Adelaide Geary: I haven't crossed the border in eight years, not since my father died. I'll be frank with you, I had a lot of bad publicity before I came down here, and my family did. Most of it deserved. Even though the case against me falls on its on weight, the newspapers will hang me. I don't know what a major's pay amounts, but I doubt it's enough. Would you be interested in a thousand dollars?

Tom: That wasn't a good idea.

Adelaide Geary: I promised myself I wouldn't beg. But I am. I'll stay with you as long as you want me to. As long as I know you'll let me go before we get back to the States.

Tom: No!

Adelaide Geary: Why not?

Tom: Because I wouldn't like the company I'd be in.

Adelaide Geary: You stupid military...

Adelaide then quickly gallops off (runs away) like a selfish child not getting her way. She has to be tracked down.

Adelaide has now shown us that she has a very rebellious side and is just as conniving. Her actions are very immature, very childish. This is how she has survived all these years on her own.

It's now time for Private Renziehausen to bear some of his soul to Tom. Will he be honest to Tom or will he be deceptive? Renziehausen tells Tom that he joined the military to seek adventure. Tom then asks the private if he was afraid during the attack on the hacienda and the private tells him that he wasn't afraid. Tom challenges him on this since he noticed Renziehausen's chin strap was bitten clean through. Tom knows better. Lt. Fowler interrupts their private discussion, so Renziehausen will remain a mystery... for now.

Fowler wants to know the purpose of their detail, their mission. What Tom then tells Fowler will affect him in the worst way.

Tom: I'm recommending you for the medal of honor.

Tom: It must seem strange to have the highest of honor so early. Whatever you do in combat the rest of your life will be an anti-climax.

Tom has just stolen Fowler's passion in life. He's hurt him deeply, but he doesn't fully understand the impact. Tom proceeds to tell Fowler the following:

Tom: You see, if you tell a man he's a hero, he thinks himself as one, then you've lost him. You've lost the true reason. Do you understand, Lieutenant? I have a chance here. A chance that few men have ever had. To put my hand on the... on the bare heart of heroism. To hear answers to one of the great questions man has ever asked about himself, "what is courage"? What is it that...

Tom's profound words are interrupted by a skirmish between the guys and Adelaide. They want her smokes and liquor... and more. Yes, the kids are acting up again and the parent needs to do some spanking. Bad kids don't like to be spanked.

That's as far as I got.

*I get where "York" can come off overly "preachy." The conversion at the church is sudden and I can see where it is either uncomfortable as I don't think they happen like that too often. I do like the discussion of his beliefs with the captain and I think the captain treats him well and respects his wishes, which I guess he must do, if he hopes to change York's mind.*

I liked the scene with the captain. He was very understanding of York's situation.

The film's subject matter just isn't for me.

*Do I remember that you liked "Return To Paradise"? I know we talked about it and as far as I remember it hasn't been on TV since then.*

Oh, yes. That's a smaller Coop film that I ended up liking quite a bit. Coop plays a darker character in that one. He's an outsider who actually does some wrong in that one. I like the emotions in it.

Well, hello, Invisible Woman! -- *What's up with Pride of the Yankees being so low? That's really surprising!*

It felt like a baseball flick made for women. It was a rather boring watch. I did find Teresa Wright to be cute, as usual.

*I'm also surprised Along Came Jones is so high.*

It's a fun film with a little bit of an edge thanks to Dan Duryea. It's quite enjoyable.

*What did you like so much about For Whom the Bell Tolls?*

The romance. I liked the relationship between Jordan (Gary Cooper) and Maria (Ingrid Bergman). I also loved the ending.

*I already knew about Sgt. York being so low. But then some people don't appreciate*

*cuteness when they see it. Heehee! :P*

Ugh!

Where's your Coop list?

Archived