Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

The movies I could watch every day of my life are Sgt York, The Westener and Ball of Fire. I do not think that Walter Brennon was in a better movie than the Westener and Gary Cooper's chemistry with him in that movie was the best I have ever seen. In fact I may have that entire movie memorized as I've watched it so many times. I don't like watching him in non Gary Cooper movies as I watched one that he was in with Jimmy Stewart and it just wasn't the same.

One movie that is the opposite of all your views on Alice in Wonderland is that I don't care all that much about Gary Cooper's performance in If I Had a Million but just love that movie for everyone else. That is one great movie with the exception of the short story that Cooper was in and maybe one or two other stories. It might be the only movie that I have ever seen of Coop's where even if he were not in it, I would like it just as much. I just love the old ladies part in the home, the rich guy and of course W.C. Fields part in that movie. In fact W.C. Fields may be my favorite comedic actor of all time and he was wonderful in all the movies I have seen on him. Mae West was a **** too.

Movies of Gary's I could watch every day if I had the time: (they're odd choices, I know!) Garden of Evil, Morocco, Saratoga Trunk and The General Died at Dawn.

I could easily add to this list. ;)

Miss G

I just ordered the Dietrich box set this morning that has Morocco. I splurged and did 2 day shipping :) I like all your other choices too. Saratoga Trunk is great and it's also one of my faves (but I could say that about most of them). The General Died at Dawn is strangely mesmerizing and I'm not sure why. It's full of plot holes (like why does Gary get on the train at the beginning when they expressely told him not too) and none of the characters are real likeable (except Gary) yet I have watched this one several times. I'm a huge I Love Lucy fan and it cracked me up to see William Frawley as anything other than Fred Mertz.

I read a funny story about Garden of Evil too about one of the scenes when they are camped at night and they are are supposed to be sleeping but then they start fighting. Well Gary actually did fall asleep and it came to his line and he didn't say it so they cut and started again not realizing he was asleep. So he missed it again and Richard Widmark yelled at him 'Gary you're on!' and he woke up and went right into his line.

Those are great choices too. Sgt. York is just a phenomenal movie and if you didn't know it was based on a true story you probably wouldn't believe that one man could do all that he really did. I get teary eyed at the end every time when he sees his farm. Another movie I could watch a million times is Dallas. I just love that one. I will normally watch movies over and over and pretty much all of his that I've seen so far have great re-watchability (if that's a word).

Brennan and Coop had great screen chemistry and he does seem to be at his best with Coop. If Brennan's in it, I know it's gonna be a great one.

About Mae West, she was attractive and it's so funny if you compare her to the female stars of today. So many of them are so skinny and bony. It's alright to be thin and in good shape (I'm thin myself but thankfully not bony) but it's quite another when I can see all your ribs and count your vertebrae. I'm not sure if you're familiar with Mamie Van Doren but she's like the poor man's Mae West or Jayne Mansfield. I love Mystery Science Theater and Mamie was in a couple of their movies and they just drooled over her and were also griping that women didn't look like that anymore.

[nobr]Lol! Hilarious story about Garden of Evil....golly, I wish I had his ability to [nobr][nobr]drop off to sleep so easily. I have to be in my own bed and even then I [nobr]have insomnia.[nobr]

[nobr]Yes, TGDAD has plot holes big enough to drive that train through but I [nobr]love the over-the-top tone of it, because it reminds me of the Von Sternberg films with Dietrich---and plus, Madeleine Carrol is so beautiful. Is the Dietrich set [nobr]you bought the deluxe Universal France (R2) set, or the smaller Region 1[nobr] set? Because I am sorely tempted to get the absurdly pricey Region 2 set [nobr]for the titles that aren't on R1.[nobr]

[nobr]Morocco is my favorite Dietrich film so having Gary in it makes it a [nobr]double-whammy![nobr]

[nobr]Miss G[nobr]

[nobr]TheGeneralDiedatDawn.jpg?t=1173280078[nobr]

It's region 1 and it's the Marlene Dietrich Glamour Collection with Morocco, Blonde Venus, The Devil is a Woman, Flame of New Orleans, and Golden Earrings. I'm so excited to see Morocco. I've seen a clip of it and Gary is eating an apple and it's just mesmerizing :P It's funny too b/c I've noticed people either love that one or hate it. To me it looks like some great eye candy and that's always good every now and then ;) My bedroom is decorated in a Moroccan style and even though I'm sure it's a very charicatured Hollywood 'Morocco' I bet it still looks cool.

Ack!

If I had known you were gonna buy this, I'd have worked something out with you for Morocco....assuming you purchased the Dietrich Glamour collection, that is....

I love Marlene Dietrich and so I bought that set, and it is very poorly made. I know alot of people who experience alot of freezing with the disks - including myself.

There is about 12 minutes of Morocco I was not even able to see on this set because the disk kept on freezing and I was unable to get past the freezing point without skipping to the next chapter.

I just purchased the mega-set of Marlene Dietrich films that came out in R2 (like, 18 films), and I believe Morocco is one of them...so I will be glad to get a better commercial release copy.

I hope your set is better than mine. And it seems to have effected only the Dietrich sets...because everyone complains about that set, but seem to have no problem with the Carole Lombard set or the Mae West set, which came out the same day.

I have both the Carole Lombard set and the Mae West set and have no problems with them. It's only the Marlene Dietrich set that this problem seems to be present.

Quite annoying.

Universial will probably release a Vol 2 for Dietrich in region one as I think it outsold the Mae west and Lumbard sets at least on Amazon. If they do I hope it has my favorite Dietrich movie which is Desire. I already have it transferred to dvd from VHS but an official company release may be slightly better in picture quality.

That region 2 is just too pricey for me and want to wait for the region 1 releases of hers because of the PAL 4 percent speedup of movies where they run slightly faster than what they were intended to:

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/PALSpeedUp/PALSpeedUp.asp

The sets are actually gorgeous for Morocco, because this was Von Sternberg and he had such an eye for detail that is amazing. You will see what I mean. It's what I call a "movie movie", in that it is pure cinematic fantasy in the best sense of the word. Coop and Marlene don't fall in love so much as "dance" around each other; both are of the same type---cynical and cautious but are irrisistibly drawn t one another.

GC and JW are the only two of her co-stars who never seemed to be overwhelmed by her, but match and even dominate her.

Can't wait to see what you think of it.

Actually I never watched the original dvd for Morocco as I bought the set and made a backup copy of the movie using DVD shrink and I've only watched the DVD-R I made up. I'll have to see if the original dvd plays fine as I never tried watching it.

Morocco is the only movie I wanted from this set too so I hope it plays okay. I've never really liked Marlene or Garbo (I know they're both very popular but I could take or leave them). I also ordered a copy of Desire from forgotenfilms.com for like $13 a few days ago and hope to get it soon.

I have similar concerns about dvds of Morocco that are out there. I have yet to buy any of those Glamour Collections because of their reportedly dubious quality. The R2 Marlene set seems to be of much higher quality, I just can't get past the price and am hesitating, in case it may turn up on R1. As for the Lombard set, it is still on my wish list as it contains a couple of titles I have never seen.

I don't want to own a poor quality dvd of Morocco. I'm happy to stick with my vhs recording if it's all that's available. This, and Shanghai Express are two Dietrich/von Sternberg films that just cry out for restoration and a Criterion-quality release, a la The Scarlet Empress. They are such beautiful films, like jewels, really.

Miss G

>

> That region 2 is just too pricey for me and want to

> wait for the region 1 releases of hers because of the

> PAL 4 percent speedup of movies where they run

> slightly faster than what they were intended to:

>

> http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/PALSpeedUp/PALSp

> eedUp.asp

I've heard about this before, but not so often that I thought it was really that noticable. I mean, if it is that bad wouldn't something have been done? I will be getting both my new all-region player and an R2 dvd of The Tamarind Seed hopefully next week, and can see what happens. I hope I don't notice this difference in speed or I'm going to be disappointed big time.

I have heard people's concerns for years now on the tv side of things with Universials double sided discs causing freezes but my Sony dvd players have never froze on anything I have put into it. I have never owned anything other than Sony, so I can not comment on what other dvd players are like. My Sony player that I watch the majority of my movies on is a 1999 model that I believe was like 600 dollars at the time and was top of the line and I think the most expensive dvd player on the market for 1999.

I have a Sony dvd player currently and have been very happy with it. The new one I ordered to be region free is a Philips. It wasn't too expensive so if it doesn't work I will return it with no real harm done.

I prefer Sony overall.

> Nope shouldn't notice it too much except maybe

> slightly in voices but it does take a pretty fine

> tuned ear that many people do not notice at all.

Whew! That's a relief because I was getting worried. Thanks. :)

Phillips is a good brand so I would think that would be a good one. The first player I got was a GE in '02 or '03 and my dad got it for me for Christmas and it was $200. It's still works great too but my mom got me a dvd recorder this past Christmas and that's the one I use now. It's a brand I've never heard of (SV2000) and it was only $99. I love it though and it works great and plays all the dvd-r's that I have without missing a beat. I liked it so much that after Christmas when they marked them down to $70 I bought another one for our downstairs livingroom. It has a vcr too and you can copy from vcr to dvd which is great b/c I had lots of old horror movies that you can't buy on dvd and now I have dvd copies of them.

It reminds too of how expensive vcr's were when they were new (early 80's). My mom wanted some new furniture and my dad wanted a vcr so we got both. The vcr was around $1000 (not sure how we afforded that and new furniture) but somehow we got it and my whole family came over and the first movie we watched was Going Ape! (1981) with Tony Danza. Not a classic but it had monkeys in it and my and my young cousins loved it.

Yes my main point was that since the Region 2 set is so expensive and does have the very slight altered 4 percent speedup that I am going to wait for the Vol 2 set to come out in Region 1 with hopefully Desire on it and the other two movies you mentioned that I have heard great things on.

I hope the Philips is fine, I'm sure it will be since it has come recommended and most of the comments on Amazon.com were positive. Anyway, it will do for now.

I was as slow to get my first vcr as I was with getting a dvd player. My Mom refused flat out to get one because she didn't want me watching any more TV than I alread did, so I had to wait until I moved out on my own. :( But it was scary how quickly I built up a vhs collection of classic movies, most of which I threw away when I moved to Europe. I still regret tossing some especially rare films that used to air only on A&E Network.

Miss G