Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

Well, I hate to say it, but I think the ending to Morocco is one of the dumbest endings in film history.

The film is great up until the last 60 seconds. And then the ending is just so absurdly dumb that it nearly ruins the whole thing.

Both Marlene and Coop do an excellent job in the film, and the ending is not their fault...but when I saw the end, I just burst out laughing...which was NOT the reaction that the screenwriter probably intended.

I wrote a review of the film which I will post here after you have seen it. I don't want to post any spoilers....but wow... In the future, personally I plan to stop my DVD player about 60 seconds before the end, and pretend *that* is the end of this film. It would be sad...but at least plausible. :P

No...it wasn't just me.

As I stated in my original post on the topic, the freezing problem was pretty much epidemic with the Dietrich sets.

If yours doesn't freeze, you are one of the lucky ones. Because there have been threads all over various film boards about the issue - THAT is how many people were effected. And it appears to be only the Dietrich set that was effected. The Lombard and West sets were rarely mentioned in the complaint threads, and I know alot of people who purchased the Lombard set in particular - including myself - without a problem.

There was a thread here, in fact, on this issue, IIRC. But those sets came out almost a year ago, so it would be impossible to find the thread now.

But trust me - I was by no means alone. If I had been, I'd have simply returned the set and gotten another one.

I got a chance to watch A Man From Wyoming (1930) last night and it's another good one. America enters WWI and Gary who is an engineer from Wyoming enlists and he helps builds bridges to get troops and equipment across the battlefields. During one of their missions they run across a woman (June Collyer) who is also in the service. She's the daughter of a wealthy general and wanted to see what the front line was like so she goes AWOL and just wanders out there. Coop has to save her and he's furious with her b/c she gave their location away to the enemy and they have to move out. He takes her as his prisoner and she has to march with them for a couple of days until they get back to a small french town where they are staying. He comes respect her b/c she has spirit and is a good soldier. He puts her on a truck that will take her back to her father (it's clear from his body language that he doesn't want her to go) where she'll face a court martial but instead she hides out in a canteen and later that night she sneaks into the little house he's living in. At first they don't know what to say to each other but then she tells him that she just couldn't leave. She says that normally it would take months to get to the point they were at now but b/c of the war she doesn't care about societies norms and rules and she loves him. He loves her too and they get married that night. Normally in these old movies when the characters get married after knowing each other very briefly it seems unrealistic but here it's explained well and there is good chemistry between Coop and his costar. They only have three days together (with her hiding in his house) before his troop (he's a captain) are sent out on another mission. There's a very sweet moment when he's getting ready to leave and he has his coat on and she's trying to sew a button back on it. He tells her that his company is assembling outside and he has to go and she looks up at him and real pitifully says it'll just take another minute.

She cries once he's gone and she heads back to her station where she is court martialed. Right before her trial she reads in the paper that Gary has been killed in action. During the trial she's just in shock and passes out at the end of it. B/c her father is a general she is giving linience and is discharged (I think I was distracted during this part by a car alarm outside). Anyway she goes to her father's beautiful mansion in Nice and decides to throw lavish parties for the wounded soldiers that are recovering there to take her mind off Gary. He's not really dead but just wounded and winds up at the hospital in Nice.

**************Spoilers below in case you haven't seen it******************

He sees that his name is in the paper under KIA and he writes a letter to his wife but she never gets it. So once he gets to Nice (he's still recovering from a leg wound and has to walk with a cane) he hears about the parties his wife is throwing so he goes to her house. When she sees him she's stunned and she rushes to him and throws her arms around him and cries. He just stands there very coldly b/c right before she saw him she was flirting with another man. They go into a room to talk and he tells her that maybe they made a mistake by getting married. He's a lower class guy who lives out in the wilds of Wyoming building bridges and that she's used to fancy mansions and parties. She tries to explain to him that she thought he was dead and that she loves him. But he keeps on about how they are too different and wouldn't have even met if not for the war. She's hurt by this and so she tells him maybe he's right and that she won't give up her fancy lifestyle and he leaves. Even though he's not fit for duty he has himself declared so and goes back to the front. Shortly after this though the war ends and he heads back to the little town in France where they were earlier in the film. June finds out about him going back to fight and also goes back to the little town hoping to find him there. He goes into his house and sees her standing there in her uniform instead of a fancy gown and she tells him they are headed back to Wyoming and they kiss.

MissG - I have a region free DVD player as well (probably the same one you are getting), and several R2 DVD sets, in both classic film and scifi.

And I never notice the difference.

Now, I don't sit down LOOKING for it, mind you. But it is not any sort of distraction where I'd notice without looking for it.

Hopefully your experience will be similar.

Man from Wyoming sounds like another winner. I don't think I know June Collyer, so this would be my first movie with her to my knowledge. I look forward to seeing it one day.

You describe the plots really well, Angie---thanks for taking the time to do so. They really seem to "appear" before my eyes. I could "see" that scene with her sewing on his button. :)

>

> Now, I don't sit down LOOKING for it, mind you. But

> it is not any sort of distraction where I'd notice

> without looking for it.

>

> Hopefully your experience will be similar.

I'm sure it will. :)

> Thanks BobHopeFan.

>

> I wish you'd come in here more often. I miss you! :)

Oh, I drop in here and there... But you Coop fans are too quick for me! I've never seen so many posts in one day. I am a Coop fan myself - I'll try to drop in and say hello every so often! :)

SPOILER ALERT FOR MOROCCO!!!! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!

Yeah...like a character that they have spent the entire film building up as a glamorous nightclub vixen is gonna kick off her shoes and run off to pledge the sorority of the veiled Moroccan goat-herder ladies, who wander like pathetic and WAY too obsessed fan girls after the Legion.

*rolleyes* *lol*

Stupidest ending EVER. *lol*

Seriously - I'm stopping the film when they march off next time. Much better ending. ;)

I love that picture :P I love all the stills I've seen from Morocco. That's the scene that's up on doctor macro's website and I've lost track of how many times I've watched it. The way he slowly bites into the apple he buys from her at the end of the clip just about makes me melt. I can't wait to see it on my big tv :)

"What will you pay for my apples?" Marlene croons. The saucy way she saunters through the room, selling her apples and singing, first to the rich in the upper level and then, to the consternation of the proprietor, decends into the "pit" where the "rabble" (including Coop) sit, is unique in cinema!

His buying her apple (after borrowing the money) and biting into it is strangely remnicent of Adam and Eve....

I hadn't thought of it either b/c I'm just staring at him eating that apple. He gets a little piece of it on the corner of his mouth and he has to get it with his tongue and he's doing this all very slowly. Dang I can't wait to get this movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also would point out that the Gary in Morocco is one you may not have seen before. You know about Marlene's insolence, but he's just as insolent as she is, if not more! There is very little trace of the sweetness we've come to glimmer in even his darkest, later roles. It just shows what his skills were, that he could play a seriously commitment-phobic, ne'er-do-well along with his more traditionally heroic guys. But he does it with lightness, he's never heavy in the role.

I'm excited for you to see it!

Miss G

Well I've watched three movies from the Dietrich NTSC box set on the original dvd's tonight and didn't get any freezeups. They all played flawlessly on my Sony dvd player. I was also able to rip all five movies to my computer hard drive, which is a good sign that there are no defects on any of the discs in my box set.

Also, according to dvdbeaver the picture quality is the same quality between the NTSC and PAL versions.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews21/dietrich_glamour_collection_dvd_review.htm

null