Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

That's right girl. Only people who have this 37 year old out of print book can be real fans ;) Since it can be hard to find I'm gonna try to scan and post as many of the pics from as I can that we haven't already seen. There are a lot in it that I had never seen anywhere so I'll try to post those for your viewing enjoyment :P

I went on campusi and found a hardcover copy....

Seriously! ....I want the hardcover copy! But I won't pay $13 for a book I already have. I may be obsessive, but I'm not THAT ba--*orders a copy of the book, and 3 more to place on her shelf*

Mrs. C those are some hot, hot posters and pictures!! I especially love the Blowin' Wild poster---that's a 10-Alarm if I ever saw one! ;)

The captions on The Cowboy and The Lady are funny: "I'm only a cowboy and don't know much about women..." Right, Gary, right!

Miss g

lol, I know! I love his facial expression in the last one...

What does "The True Gen" mean?

"The true gen" is believed to have been first used by members of the Royal Air Force during World War II. Before going on operations, air crews were given general information-abbreviated to "gen"-about the weather and expected enemy opposition. Others say that gen is merely short for genuine. Whatever the case, "the true gen" is used to distinguish accurate information from rumor and speculation. Ernest Hemingway picked up the expression and used it frequently...

More than anyone, Gary Cooper exemplified "the true gen

http://www.cooperandhemingway.com/index.htm

"Watch out Gable, we're re-discovering Gary!"

http://themave.com/Cooper/ccorner/newrave1.htm

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

"If there'd been no Coop, Hemingway would've had to invent him."

Alistair Cooke

On paper, the friendship between these two celebrated American icons would seem to have been impossible. But Coop and ?Papa? became the best of friends, right up to their deaths seven weeks apart in 1961.

Today, 40 years after their deaths, their intriguing and at times contentious friendship ? which roamed from Idaho and New York to Cuba and Paris -- resonates on fascinating and diverse levels. And, as the extraordinary popularity of "Saving Private Ryan" proved, Americans are looking back to another time to understand what real heroism is, to come to grips with what courage means.

Ernest Hemingway and Gary Cooper dealt with this very subject, as no one had before, as no one has since. Hemingway?s fiction and Cooper?s persona was not about masculinity as a one-note, smash-mouth force of nature; rather, it was about the self-respect that comes from comporting oneself with courage in the face of impossible circumstances.

But COOPER AND HEMINGWAY: THE TRUE GEN is far more than just a study of these two extraordinary men. It is also a study of America in this century. For their internationally renowned careers were played out over the same five turbulent decades. For 35 years, through the hedonistic 20s ... the grim Depression 30s ... the war-ravaged 40s ... and the deceptively slumbering 50s, their public and private lives connected, parted, reconnected, intertwined, over-lapped, and collided ...

... Smack into the erupting 60s ? a decade which challenged many of the very ideals and precepts which both men so prominently represented. Their torch was passed to a generation with new ideas about masculinity and heroism.

And yet, with the popularity of "Saving Private Ryan" on film and Stephen Ambrose?s Citizen Soldiers and Tom Brokaw?s Greatest Generation on the page -- and all that their popularity says about a new look at heroism and masculinity -- perhaps Cooper and Hemingway hadn?t so much passed the torch, as merely lent it.

http://www.cooperandhemingway.com

Release date for Documentary: September 15, 2007. (Years in the making)

"He was a student of human nature. Natural and unassuming, he could spot a phony across a country mile. It was said of Gary Cooper that ten minutes after meeting the man, you felt he'd been your friend for years. And once he was your friend, he was your friend for life."

-- John Mulholland

He was tall, lean, handsome, soft-spoken, courteous, the American male. No other actor in the history of film so personified the ideal of the American male as Gary Cooper. For 35 years and 92 films, Gary Cooper was America's Everyman.

-- John Mulholland

"Gary Cooper was the symbol of trust, confidence and protection. He is dead now. What a miracle that he existed."

-- Upon his death in 1961, the German newspaper Die Welt said it best.

"Perhaps with him there is ended a certain America: that of the frontier and of innocence which had or was believed to have an exact sense of the dividing line between good and evil."

-- Rome newspaper Corriere Della Sera

"I'm not good enough for him, I know that. But I tried to make him happy. I did make him happy. I would have done anything in the world for him. His mother--I hope she never cries the tears that I have cried. I hope she never knows the suffering I have known. I don't hate her, that much. She said I wasn't good enough for Gary. She told him that when I was in New York, I was seeing other men. She told him that I wasn't faithful to him. He believed what she told him."

-- Actress Lupe Velez

"He was a poet of the real. He knew all about cows, bulls, cars, and ocean tides. He had the enthusiasm of a boy. He could always tell you his first vivid impression of a thing. He had an old-fashioned politeness, but he said nothing casually."

-- Poet Clifford Odetts

"I liked Gary very much, but you know...He was a doll, he really was, a very nice guy...Gary was very nice, but the women were so crazy about him. More than any other man I knew. I think what attracted people was he had a great shyness, he kept pulling back, and it intrigued people. He really was a very quiet, quiet guy."

-- Evelyn Brent

Whomever he played -- soldier, cowboy, adventurer, lounge lizard, lover -- Gary Cooper became that character. The artistry was seamless, so natural that it was impossible to tell where the man left off and the actor began. As Charles Laughton put it: "We act, he is." John Barrymore put it another way: "This fellow is the world's greatest actor. He does without effort what the rest of us spend our lives trying to learn - namely to be natural."

-- John Mulholland

I love the poster for Blowing Wild too :) Thanks Mrs. Coop for posting all that good stuff. I'm glad to know when the Coop/Hemingway documentary is coming out. I hope we'll be able to see it somewhere like on TCM or something. I scanned a bunch of pics from the Films of Gary Cooper book and another paperback I have yesterday but photobucket is being real slow so I'm having a hard time getting them uploaded. Hopefully I can get them up later today. Here's one though from A Man From Wyoming.

AManFromWyoming.jpg

I know that it is ways off before these Cooper movies get released but the pre-sales at Amazon are not very good. Fox/MGM has put movies up in the past for pre-order and then cancelled them and assume it is some evil twisted company ploy to gage pre-sales for a movie they are undecided about releasing. I hope this does not happen to any of these movies.

Unconquered Amazon.com Sales Rank: #2,480 in DVD good numbers - no danger at all of this movie not coming out.

Ball of Fire Amazon.com Sales Rank: #8,934 in DVD

The Pride of the Yankees Amazon.com Sales Rank: #9,893 in DVD

The Adventures of Marco Polo (1938) Amazon.com Sales Rank: #9,548 in DVD

The Wedding Night Amazon.com Sales Rank: #20,894 in DVD

Casanova Brown Amazon.com Sales Rank: #41,153 in DVD

An example of a TV show box set I'll be getting that will not be released until over a month after these movies are released:

Gomer Pyle Usmc:Second Sea Amazon.com Sales Rank: #2,226 in DVD

There is some indication that Casanova brown is doing so poorly because it only has one bad review posted on it at Amazon.

"A peculiar concoction, May 16, 2000

Reviewer: Avid Reader - See all my reviews

This is a strange little movie.The tone is light,the performances likeable but the story (about a man who "steals" his ex-wife's newly-born baby) is in dubious taste.Part of the problem is the fact that the movie is composed of "chunks" rather than coherent scenes:there is a chunk of story dealing with Brown's impending marriage and then a chunk dealing with his immediate past,and then another featuring his abduction of "his" child,but these long sequences fail to bond together into a meaningful whole.Another problem has to do with the characterisations:Brown's fiance is never really anything more than a plot device,his ex is only barely drawn and his eccentric fatherly confidante is unbelievable.Cooper,however,is as intriguingly charming as ever,and there are moments of real humour,but,as a whole,the effect is disappointing.Students could probably use the theme to spark off a debate about "movies/comedies and good taste",and admirers of Gary Cooper will warm to his contribution,but not everyone will be satisfied with this as a straightforward light comedy."

This review really annoys me more so than any other that I have read. Since this person probably is not a member of this forum, I can post on this in hopes that I don't offend them. First off the movie is about a person who takes his newly born baby, but the reviewer has no clue on how to follow any kind of really good plot it seems as they make no mention that the baby is also his baby and that he is under the assumption that his ex-wife is going to give the baby up for adoption and has no interest in keeping it. With the posting that the movie is in chunks and is hard to follow gives the impression that the reviewer is incapable of substaining any kind of meaningful plot and should go back to being an "avid reader". Brown's fiance is not a key player in this movie and was never intended to be. This is a wholesome family oriented love story/comedy and is not in bad taste from start to finish. It was also nominated for three academy awards so this person must be the only person on face of the planet that thinks this movie is in bad taste. The reviewer must not have seen many recent movies that truely are in bad taste and are in need of some debates. It is obvious that the reviewer is a woman who is offended by any man taking a child but to be honest I would have done the same thing if I were in the same situation. It is a shame that no one else has posted a review of the movie on Amazon as most people unfamilar with the movie will read this review and be turned off by the movie without even giving it a chance. I tried to sign up but was not able to get it to work right in posting reviews.

I am also quite annoyed that web sites are not letting people know about the 9 DVD's of Cooper's getting released on May 22nd.

A popular web site called the dvd journal makes no mention of any of the Cooper movies being released except for Unconquered on May 22nd despite the fact that I emailed them several times on it and I know that it is because of Cecil B. De Mille that they bother to mention that one. However, they do make mention of John Wayne's re-released movies that were not announced until a month after the Cooper movies were.

http://www.dvdjournal.com/extra/releasecalendar.html

With all this media bias against Cooper, I find it very hard to worry what anyone says about me on this forum or what others think I said about them. My central purpose of posting here has nothing at all to do about myself and everything to do about Gary Cooper and trying to spark some interest in his movies again. I welcome old and new forum members to post here and talk about Gary Cooper. He is not like some other actors where you get a handful of good movies and bunch of filler movies to span the rest of their career. I have found that if you like one Gary Cooper movie, you will more than likely enjoy them all. He is an actor that can carry any movie that he was in simply by his presence in the movie, which I do not know can be stated about many other actors. I'm sure the same could be stated about Errol Flynn but not sure on people like Clark Gable and Humphrey Bogart who were both marvelous and perhaps the best actors of all time in several of their movies but seemed out of character in others. I guess that is called diversifying your roles which is common practice in todays acting. I think Cooper seemed to know that people really liked him and he gave them what they wanted in his movies which was him. He never really played a really bad character like Bogart did in so many movies like the Two Mrs. Carrolls and many of his gangster pictures. If you really like the good guy hero type, Cooper was probably the King of the heap for having the most pictures out of any actor in the history of motion pictures that were like this. Even when he did have a semi kind of bad part like Bright Leaf, you still find yourself liking him. I suspect that he just can not be disliked, which is why it is hard for me to contemplate why he is not more remembered today. Perhaps it may be due to my belief that society has degenerated a great deal in morality and religion to the point that the majority of people like more villenous flawed characters now days. As a very big "hero" Bogart fan, it is very hard for me to like the movies The Two Mrs. Carrolls, In A Lonely Place and The Treasure of Sierra Madre. I do recognise that all three movies were top caliber movies for plot substance, acting and directing, yet I have watched them once and will not so again because I do not like to see the way Bogart ended up in these movies. It may be that the heavily flawed character appeals to people more so today. Bogart always had flaws in his character but in the only movies that I liked of his, the hero side won out in the end. I will never call myself an all out Bogart fan and will always go by the "Hero" Bogart fan catagory when referring to my fan status towards him. I must admit that there is one Bogart movie that I consider better than anything that Gary Cooper ever did and that would be Casablanca.

Now prior to yesterday, I did not know that any other threads existed as I have never been on any of the others before as I found this thread on a google search of Gary Cooper. After reading some of the threads I found that there are many people that call each other names and seem to be more interested in themselves than in talking about the movies and the actors they originally came to this forum to discuss. I guess that is alright if that is what they want to do here, but I will take part in no such discussions on this thread or any others. If I offend any on this message board it will more than likely be over my support of Gary Cooper and his movies, and I will make no apologies to you for that in this life or the next.

Also, I welcome any suggestions for any other actors/actresses I might like from the 30's 40's 50's and 60's that I may be unfamilar with. While they can be flawed, they must have a hero side that wins out in the end for me to consider watching their movies. I am pretty much very narrow minded in my movie tastes.

null

Well said Dan. I especially agree about if you like one of his movies then you will probably like them all. I've seen about 60 so far (including silents) and have only disliked The Fountainhead. I have an account at amazon and things are slow at work today so I'll go post some reviews for his upcoming releases.

Hi Dan---thanks for your post. I have to say I feel the same way about the kind of heroes actors portray, meaning that I prefer them to be able to conquer the evil with the good, at least by the end of the picture. Though I love the look and acting in many films noir, the ones that are more nihilistic in tone tend to turn me off, and they have heavily influenced who filmmakers see the "hero" today.

Unfortunately, it's been so long since I saw Casanova Brown that I wouldn't know what to say in a review except along general lines, but I'll look into what Amazon is posting about his other films.

I agree that Cooper, more than any other star, remained consistent to the heroic mold throughout his career. He was smart to do that and I for one am grateful.

If I could recommend anyone else's films of the thirties and forties, I'd recommend Spencer Tracy, who very rarely played out and out villains. His characters were more thoughtful than action oriented, but he never gave a bad performance and seemed to be such a positive force for justice in many of them.

Or if you want something more lighthearted, William Powell also never gave a bad performance and had an inimitable grace to his style, quite unmatched by any except Cary Grant (another not too shabby performer whose comedies are pure joy to watch, especially The Awful Truth and My Favorite Wife, both with Irene Dunne).

Ciao,

Miss G

Miss G I love your pic of Miss Piggy. I've been a Muppets fan since I was a toddler and I have a Miss Piggy doll that I got when I was two and it's one of my most prized possessions.

Dan - As far as other actors/actresses go Jimmy Stewart is probably my 2nd fave to Coop. I'm not sure if you've mentioned anything about him before but he also made tons of great movies and like Coop was nearly always the good guy. Some of my faves of his are Vivacious Lady, Harvey, and You Can't Take it With You with the lovely Jean Arthur who was also in a lot of good non-Coop movies like The More the Merrier. I have seen several of Frank Capra's films too and have loved them all. It Happened One Night with Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert is great.

I also watched Arsenic and Old Lace about a week ago and this one had me in stitches. I'm not a huge Cary Grant fan but I do like his comedies like Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, Father Goose, and Bringing up Baby. I've gotten so used to watching Coop with his laid back style and then watching Cary act a frenetic pace in Arsenic had me worn out by the time the movie was over :)

Cary Grant is very good and it has taken me a while to get use to his strange way of talking but he certainly grows on you with each movie you watch. I've watched about 15 to 20 of his movies and find him to be very entertaining. The last movie I watched was Father Goose on TCM.

I've only seen one or two movies by Spencer Tracey but will have to see if I can watch some more of his on TCM.

To my knowledge I have never seen any William Powell movies and will have to check into watching some movies that TCM may show on him.

Jimmy Stewart may be my second favorite actor and have liked all the movies I have seen on him. I am not sure if he ever made a bad one and haven't seen a bad movie yet on Cary Grant. They both play good people in all of their movies and were both very taleneted. I think I have all the westerns that Jimmy Stewart did and of course It's A Wonderful Life.

That is great news on the picture of the Cooper MGM box set. Pictures of upcoming box sets are always good to see when worried about these movies being released. I just wish Amazon would include that set for pre-order one of these days as they do have his other movies availble for pre-order but not this one.

Message was edited by:

CoopfanDan

Have you seen any of the Thin Man movies, with Bill Powell and Myrna Loy? They are a real delight. Exciting mysteries and bouyant comedy all in one.

As for Spence, he's all over the place in terms of genres but among his best I consider: Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, Fury (directed by Fritz Lang), Captain's Courageous (Oscar #2), Test Pilot (with Gable), Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (his last), Inherit the Wind, Bad Day at Black Rock and Boy's Town (Oscar #1).

You might like Gregory Peck, too---he is somewhat similar in style to Cooper, in that he says much with few words and most always was a hero: The Big Country, Yellow Sky and The Gunfighter are among his good westerns, and others excellent movies: To Kill a Mockingbird, Roman Holiday (with Audrey Hepburn), Twelve O'Clock High and an early one by Hitchcock, Spellbound.

How could I forget about Gregory Peck?!? We watched To Kill a Mockingbird and The Yearling when I was in elementary school and they are just such touching movies and every time I watch them I get all choked up. I love Roman Holiday and Spellbound too. You know he was the first choice for Will Kane in High Noon but he felt it was too similar to a movie (forgot the name) he'd done a couple years earlier.

Dan - it's funny what you said about Grant's voice. The way he talks has always kinda rubbed me the wrong way but he is growing on me too. I got excited too when I saw they had cover art for the set and I was hoping that was a good sign. I have already pre-ordered mine and May can't come fast enough. I posted reviews for several of his movies on amazon this morning and one on dvd empire for the new box set. They have to go through their approval process but they should show up soon.