Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sunrise on DVD Review

nickdimeo

Well after waiting what seemed to be an eternity but in reality was about two months I have finally received my free Fox Home Video DVD of Sunrise. This of course comes courtesy of The Buy 3 Studio Classics get Sunrise free offer from Fox. Normally I have found in the past that silent movies on DVD are very limited with bonus materials but not Sunrise. I couldn't believe all the goodies included with this disc. Included is two types of musical arrangements you can play with the movie, a renowned cinematograper's commentary, outtakes (if you can believe that), a trailer, an original screenplay, and a reconstruction type segment that puts together materials to reconstruct Murnau's lost movie Four Devils. These bonus materials are definely very fullfilling unlike some DVD's that give you like a two second outtake and calls that Bonus Materials. As far as the movie goes the picture is crisp and the movie is a masterpiece. I certainly recommend to any fan's of silent movies to participate in the Fox offer and receive Sunrise for free. 10/10.

Nick, It'll be a few more months yet before I can send away for my copy of SUNRISE. I'm glad the disc turned out so well, but I'm not surprised given what I've seen of the Studio Classics series so far. Out of curiosity what number, if any, is on the spine and also are the musical scores created by a synthisizer or an actual orchestra ?

• 5 weeks later...

To nickdimeo! You probably know that *"SUNRISE" was the ACADEMY'S other/unkown BEST PICTURE WINNER for it's 1st year. *"WINGS" has just been recognized as very 1st official winner. But *"SUNRISE," won an award called: BEST ARTISTIC QUALITY OF PRODUCTION? AN EQUAL OF SORTS TO JUST BEST PICTURE? F.W. Murneau whom also did: "Nosfaratu" Check out the recent: "Shadow of the Vampire" With: Willem Dafoe magnificent as Max Schreck & John Malkovich as Murneau. (Hope this also pops up an old-topic that you wrote back towards start of forums?) (TRIVIA: Murneau was a homosexual & was, well how do I say this here??? Was being serviced by a boy/teenager, while Murneau was driving along the cliffs. North/up the coast of, I think of Calif. & he & the boy both flew-off the mountain! Not certain of the year he died in that accident, as my books are packed for moving this week. 1929 rings a bell?) I have as yet gotten a DVD player. When they start recording, probably!