Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Film Studio History

lzcutter

I think they should of kept the Hollywood Contact System. Where stars were bound under contact with a certain studio. They had better writers,directors and of course Stars. Now with independent, one picture deals. It's all about the paycheck instead of quality.And we as viewers tend to lose out on the dreck the Hollywood now considers movies and their rushed productions. There are no longer Movie Stars, just celebrities.IMO

vallo

lzcutter,

Easy one. I would have sent Louis B. Mayer tickets to a world cruise (a looong cruise) in 1934--before the 'shooting' of "Viva Villa!". Maybe, Lee Tracy would have remained at MGM and become a great comic star.

While I am thinking about it--stopped Louis B. Mayer from attending the non-wedding of John Gilbert. Similar to Lee Tracy--maybe, Gilbert would have remained at MGM and starred in a few more films.

Rusty

lzcutter,

Correct me if I wrong. I think John Gilbert may have been on his way out (at MGM) before he ever 'slugged' Louis B. Mayer. So, the incident at Gilbert's non-wedding may not have changed his (Gilbert's) history at MGM.

Rusty

I would have somehow managed to convince people the Code was ridiculous and sent Will Hays and Joseph Breen on a one way passage to some far distant island where no hope of rescue was certain. It would have been so much better to see Nick and Nora Charles hop into the same bed after a hard day of drinking and sleuthing. I just can't accept the reasoning behind that one. What, three, at least two generations were raised watching films under the Code getting these stupid notions about life and sex and love and marriage and cussing. So many great films would have been that much more realistic. I'm with jarhfive on sending Mayer somewhere, purely on general principle. Maybe he could've kept Hays and Breen company.

I will have to think about what I would change about the old film history later, but I do know that one thing I would change now would be the discrimination Hollywood has in TV and movies about hiring writers past the age of 30. In their belief that only young writers can know what the demographic audience they want, those writers who have written some of the greatest films ever and won Academy Awards for their work don't get work. That is my belief in why so many movies today are pretty bad.

You certainly took the words,right out of my mouth. I totally agree. Same is true about....TV actor/actresses, sports, like....NASCAR, golf, baseball, etc. It's more about their salary, than their acting, sport, etc. Everyday, we see them more,on commerials.

Quality, doesn't seem to exist.

Stars shine, celebrites come and go.

After the success of "The Women," Norma Shearer would've starred in Pride & Prejudice as Elizabeth Bennett, then starred Escape and then in a light comedy such as Susan and God. Then time for her to get serious and play the noble wife in the war time drama, "Mrs. Miniver." She would've won her 2nd Oscar. Her contract at MGM would is over, but does she retire? Of course not, Jack Warner wants to sign her and put her "Now Voyager." She's very intrigued by the story and accepts the role of Charlotte Vale. It's a smash and she's developed acting depth that has never been tapped before. Again she is nominated for her 8th Oscar for Best Actress. After another triumph, she's up for a new challenge and wants to play against her usual type. After turning down the role of Scarlett O' Hara 5 years earlier, she finally wants a "****" role. Bette Davis has personally requested Norma for the role of Millie Drake in "Old Aquaintance." The movie is a smash and suddenly Norma has another resurgence in her career and along with Bette Davis becomes the Queen of the Lot at WB.

Wouldn't he have been good in that? Might have paved the way for similar roles in the future. (Although watching Dietrich and Cooper together might have given him a heart attack anyway...)

Archived