Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
coolrob1955

Favorite Gay Actor

Not an actor, but my favorite director who was gay is James Whale.

Traceyk65 -- you summed up perfectly the 'actor' ingrediate which by nature of all performance people just makes them more in tune with their bodies to convey emotions. That's merely the way it is. Being in the bisiness for over 24 years I can attest to that. They are all if nothing else bi-sexual. My, I heard from 2 sources that Stanwyck and Linda Evans had a thing when they were doing 'Big Valley' --so what I say. The one that moves me the most is M. Clifft. I just like watching him act.

Well thank you sweetbaby, I've been rather busy however, lately I haven't found subjects/topics all that engaging---U noticed also? Have not seen many by you either...

L

I'd guess that a lot of actresses and actors have had homosexual urges and experiences. When you're playing roles and getting physically close to other people, it's understandable. Whether or not it makes them "gay" is another matter. Homosexuality is the confusion of friendship with sensuality, and sometimes people just cross the line.

Just my opinion. Give me some time, and I'll connect it with the global economy.

Richard Arlen and Charles "Buddy" (wink-wink) Rogers have a fairly physical scene together toward the end of Wings. I'm surprised that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Homosexuality is the confusion of friendship with sensuality, and sometimes people just cross the line.

Sometimes I'm at a complete loss for words.

I think my comment is original, and food for thought. Just look at Gene Kelly. He always got the girl, and in real life he married a woman. But in his films, he teased the boundary between heterosexuality and homosexuality. His physicality was his strength, but he knew how to compartmentalize the difference expressions of that physicality.

Bobbert, I believe when the movie "Wings" was made, there was a genuine buddy relationship between guys (especially who were in the military), with no regard to sex between them. They were pals, often walking with their arms around one anothers shoulders. In those days it was common.

I will say Monty Clift, but he was one of my favourite actors anyway....sexual preferance is not an issue with me...but sinse you asked...well, I'll say him!

Rock was a good actor...but he didn't really have the sensitivity that Monty had. I think if he had the training that Brando and Clift had, he could have been one of the greats!

The real question, which is actually unanserable is that is one **** or bi? And, does it make any difference? Frankly to me, NO> it is after all, is he or she a good actor.

Interesting. I loathed Rock in the Doris Day movies, but was absolutely mesmerized by him in Seconds. It was as if I was watching a different actor altogether. He was also very believable in McMillan and Wife.

Hmmm, I was going to say that sexual preference should not be an issue in acting, since they are, after all...........actors!

However, one of my very favorites came to mind, Nathan Lane, and I could never hereafter see him as a leading man.

So, is it better to announce one's sexual preference, or not? Why is it important to one's job anyway? I still can't get my head around that.

Bobbert, I believe when the movie "Wings" was made, there was a genuine buddy relationship between guys (especially who were in the military), with no regard to sex between them. They were pals, often walking with their arms around one anothers shoulders. In those days it was common.

Exactly. It's interesting to think about how perceptions have changed since then. Since the release of Brokeback Mountain, a lot of critics have been obsessed with finding homosexual subtexts in old movies. It reminds me of a great quote I read about all the different analyses of the recent King Kong movie:

"Tell me what you think of King Kong, and I'll tell you all about you."

No not at all. "Ice Station' is a tight, intelligent tale and all wrapped with an all star cast. It is really very good. I'm surprised you never seen it.

Exactly. It's interesting to think about how perceptions have changed since then. Since the release of Brokeback Mountain, a lot of critics have been obsessed with finding homosexual subtexts in old movies.

Film scholars have been looking for homoerotic subtexts in movies for a lot longer than that. Probably at least since the 60's.

But Brookback Mountain wasn't all that great. And must they once again have to copy what's already out? Where's something - anything uniquely creative rather than piggy baCk tales inspired what was previously released.