Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tinseltown Tripe

CaveGirl

While watching last night the great Alain Resnais movie, "Hiroshima, Mon Amour" I started reflecting on different Hollywood remakes or just rip-offs of wonderful films, that get totally lost in translation in comparison with the original film.

Kind of like, well "Lost in Translation" that horrid rip-off of the Resnais film. Now I love Bill Murray but just creating this offbeat romance with two strangers in Tokyo which was obviously cribbed by Sofia Coppola, does not a movie make.

I would be that anyone who liked it, mostly had not seen the film it was loosely stolen from, hence thought it was okay. For me, it was pretty much an abomination.

So speaking of abominations, do you have a particular film which was ripped of from an earlier film, which makes you want to cry foul? If so, please share as I love hating these horrific efforts of the creativity-challenged.

I'm not sure if you're referring to movies that stole the premise from an earlier movie( "rip off" is not the proper term here, and "rip off" is probably the MOST misused of all American idioms) without giving proper credit, or simply bad efforts, in our opinions. 

I'm not that familiar with French and other foriegn film makers, at least to be able to "name-drop" their names  enough to make other referrence, so I'm also wondering if it's the "Country of origin to American" remake you're about.

Or just remakes in general.

Sepiatone

I'm not sure if you're referring to movies that stole the premise from an earlier movie( "rip off" is not the proper term here, and "rip off" is probably the MOST misused of all American idioms) without giving proper credit, or simply bad efforts, in our opinions. 

I'm not that familiar with French and other foriegn film makers, at least to be able to "name-drop" their names  enough to make other referrence, so I'm also wondering if it's the "Country of origin to American" remake you're about.

Or just remakes in general.

Sepiatone

I'm assuming you must be the Long Island medium, since you presume to know what I mean at all times. What I mean is exactly what I wrote, "rip-offs" which is the correct term for what I mean, as you will see below in the definition; and I was referring to inferior imitations of a thing, namely a movie which was previously made and much better and by the way you forgot the hyphen which should be used when writing the word "rip-off" but I forgive you.

Definition of:

rip-off
noun
informal

1. a fraud or swindle, especially something that is grossly overpriced.
    "designer label clothes are just expensive rip-offs"
    synonyms: fraudcheatdeceptionswindle, confidence trick; More

• an inferior imitation of something.
      "rip-offs of all the latest styles"

Oh and I forgot to mention, Sepiatone that since you disavow a knowledge or interest in [as you put it  with this comment] "I'm not that familiar with French and other foriegn film makers, at least to be able to "name-drop" their names" and all of my posts henceforward with be dealing with French and foreign [but not "foriegn"] and I want people to "name drop" you might want to avoid my posts which seem to give you such consternation. 

Funny you bring this subject up at this time, CG.

You see, just yesterday while channel surfing I happened to catch a movie promo for Michael Bay's latest feature..."The Unicycle Thief".

(...and all I could think of while watching it was why on earth would Bay feel the need to take what seems like a simple but heart-wrenching little story of a young boy's disillusionment in his father's reaction to having his unicycle being stolen and then add all the violent CGI effects to it???)

;)

• Like 2

Funny you bring this subject up at this time, CG.

You see, just yesterday while channel surfing I happened to catch a movie promo of Michael Bay's latest feature..."The Unicycle Thief".

(...and all I could think of while watching it was why on earth would Bay feel the need to take what seems like a simple but heart-wrenching little story of a young boy's disillusionment in his father's reaction to having his unicycle being stolen and then add all the violent CGI effects to it???)

;)

I heard there is another film being with that darn "cycle" connection, Dargo. It will star Natalie Portman in "The Minstral's Cycle" and I hope they don't try to be wheel funny.

• Like 1

I heard there is another film being with that darn "cycle" connection, Dargo. It will star Natalie Portman in "The Minstral's Cycle" and I hope they don't try to be wheel funny.

Ooooh! Sounds like there'll be a whole lot of..ahem.."bloodletting" in THAT one, alright!

(...lemme guess...Tarantino's set to direct THIS baby, RIGHT?!)

• Like 1

"Rip off" originally a drug world term, coined in the very early  '70's( and not then hyphenated)  does, as your "copy and paste" definition offers, ONLY mean "to perpetrate a fraud".  That second definition seems a self serving add-on, an attempt to NOT look foolish by those who misuse.

The other misused idiom is "boy toy" .  As IT'S first appearance was in a MADONNA video in which she wore a belt buckle that had the words "Boy toy" emblazoned on it, implying SHE was the toy that gets played with BY boys.  NOTHING to do with a much younger male companion for a much older woman.  After all, what IS a "dog toy"?  Or a "baby toy"?

And also....did you mean "henceFORTH?"  and "WILL be dealing..."?  and NOT "Henceforward" and "WITH"?

HEH!  TOO can play at this game!  :D

Sepiatone

"HEH!  TOO can play at this game!  :D

Sepiatone"

"TOO" can attempt to play, but only ONE who knows how to spell TWO is worth  heeding. Thanks though for the hilarious explanation of how definitions remain static in the dictionary.

Once again I accept the mantle of heretic and declare that I liked both HIROSHIMA MON AMOUR and LOST IN TRANSLATION. And I saw the French film first. I get what you mean, CaveGirl, but if I disliked a movie for ripping off other movies, I wouldn't like too many movies.

Once again I accept the mantle of heretic and declare that I liked both HIROSHIMA MON AMOUR and LOST IN TRANSLATION. And I saw the French film first. I get what you mean, CaveGirl, but if I disliked a movie for ripping off other movies, I wouldn't like too many movies.

I bow to your superior judgment, Lawrence. I probably am just a misanthrope and was jealous that I am not a famous director's daughter and given chances to direct which made me upset with "LIT". Thanks for getting the point of my post though as that makes me really happy, as now there are two people who do, and two out of three ain't bad!

I thought Ivan Reitman's Dave (1993) was quite derivative of The Phantom President (1932) with George M. Cohan.  No credit given.

Then there are a whole slew of Italian films that just plain ignored copyright laws and went about making or remaking without any credit stories from other writers: Ossessione - The Postman Always Rings Twice, A Fistful of Dollars - Yojimbo.

And here's where I have to admit that I missed catching TCM'S presentation of the Resnais film last night, but like Lawrence, I too greatly enjoyed the Sofia Coppola film.

Traitor!!! I bet if Judy Canova directed it you would be singing a different tune, Dargo.

Didn't know you were British, CG?!

(...your continual lack of spelling with the superfluous-u must have thrown me off here, I suppose) ;)

Haven't you noticed I use the royal pronoun occasionally, Dargo? Like when I get inane responses and say "We are NOT amused!"

• Like 1

OK:

1.) "Orca" (1977), Rip-Off of "Jaws" (1975)--Momma Killer whale sees baby killed, goes after Richard Harris & Charlotte Rampling in revenge--Bo Dereks' cast encased leg serves as an appetizer.

2.) "King Kong" (1976)--done better in 1933.  

3.) "King Solomon's Mines" (1985)--Rip-Off of 1950 & 1937 versions of same name.  In the 1985 one, if you look closely, you will see the "Gold" items are spray-painted TupperWare.

4.) "Exorcist II: The Heretic"--I can't think of a worse sequel to a good movie.  Linda Blair tap dances to "Lullaby of Broadway" while Richard Burton battles a demon.  The mind boggles.

5.) "Mame" (1974)--Painful Rip-Off of "Auntie Mame" (1958) & the Broadway show "Mame" (1966).  AM had Rosalind Russell, M had Angela Lansbury--those two stars were capable of keeping their respective shows running and entertaining, Lansbury could sing, Lucille Ball could not.It's a bad sign for a musical when the main preoccupation is to disguise how old & handicapped your Star is (Ball had recently broken a hip while skiing). To those who watch "Mames" Jan. 2016 showing--You Are Warned.

• Like 2

OK:

1.) "Orca" (1977), Rip-Off of "Jaws" (1975)--Momma Killer whale sees baby killed, goes after Richard Harris & Charlotte Rampling in revenge--Bo Dereks' cast encased leg serves as an appetizer.

2.) "King Kong" (1976)--done better in 1933.  

3.) "King Solomon's Mines" (1985)--Rip-Off of 1950 & 1937 versions of same name.  In the 1985 one, if you look closely, you will see the "Gold" items are spray-painted TupperWare.

4.) "Exorcist II: The Heretic"--I can't think of a worse sequel to a good movie.  Linda Blair tap dances to "Lullaby of Broadway" while Richard Burton battles a demon.  The mind boggles.

5.) "Mame" (1974)--Painful Rip-Off of "Auntie Mame" (1958) & the Broadway show "Mame" (1966).  AM had Rosalind Russell, M had Angela Lansbury--those two stars were capable of keeping their respective shows running and entertaining, Lansbury could sing, Lucille Ball could not.It's a bad sign for a musical when the main preoccupation is to disguise how old & handicapped your Star is (Ball had recently broken a hip while skiing). To those who watch "Mames" Jan. 2016 showing--You Are Warned.

Film Lover, I concur on your points of #1,2,3,4, and 5! "Exorcist II: The Heretic" was truly mind bogglingly funny.

• Like 1

I thought Ivan Reitman's Dave (1993) was quite derivative of The Phantom President (1932) with George M. Cohan.  No credit given.

Then there are a whole slew of Italian films that just plain ignored copyright laws and went about making or remaking without any credit stories from other writers: Ossessione - The Postman Always Rings Twice, A Fistful of Dollars - Yojimbo.

Bogie, I kind of liked "Ossessione" better than the Garfield classic. That's interesting about "Dave" and "TPP" which I am not familiar with but shall check out. Thanks!

And then there's the 1990 Jim Belushi movie "Mr. Destiny", yet another tale of a man's life being retold in an alternate universe scenario.

(...and which should have probably been titled, "It's Not a Wonderful Movie" instead)

• Like 2

Bogie, I kind of liked "Ossessione" better than the Garfield classic. That's interesting about "Dave" and "TPP" which I am not familiar with but shall check out. Thanks!

Yes, I was just mentioning a few that were uncredited derivations.

• Like 1

I can name a few splendid films made outside the realm of Hollywood, which were later remade, but I would also need to admit I never took the time to watch the Americanized versions. The first that come to mind include Eat, Drink, Man, Woman (1993) and Shall We Dance? (1996), both of which were lovely films and I can only assume in setting them in the states something is lost in translation.

The attempt by Gus Van Zant to remake Psycho (1960) has become legend as a misguided failure, but A Perfect Murder (1998) is a version of a Hitchcock film that can appeal to even the most ardent fan. The plot remains faithful to Dial M For Murder (1954), but with subtle changes in the story line, the remake can stand on its own.

Two films that seem to share the "why bother to remake" phenomenon are Blow-Up (1966) and Blow Out (1981), but again, I haven’t seen the later film. I believe the primary difference is in changing the lead character from a photographer to a sound effects engineer (and the plot follows from there). Can anyone tell me if, in fact, the second is Brian De Palma’s attempt to “improve” on Antonioni’s masterpiece? 

• Like 2