Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS (1943), tonight @ 8:00

LornaHansonForbes

It's been super slow 'round these parts over the holidays, but since I try to let everyone know when something that has not been on in a loooong time on TCM is coming on TCM, and it seems to me like it's been a looooooong time since they aired this one. So I figured I'd just give it a shout out for what it's worth.

I've never seen it and will most certainly be giving it a try.

I'm sure most of you know the details, but it stars Gary Cooper, Ingrid Bergman (pulling off the world's most unfortunate hair that is at least plot-dictated), Katina Paxinou (who beat some formidable competition to win Best Supporting Actress and Akim Tamirioff- who I would watch read a phonebook. COLOR.  (And considered a MAJOR EVENT when released.)

It's also worth watching because in the annals of movie history, the year 1943 is one of my personal favorites and most interesting to study.

For-Whom-the-Bell-Tolls-Art-Print.jpg

• Like 3

Also of note, but with a heavy sigh and generous eyeroll is the fact that THE FALLEN SPARROW (also 1943) with Maureen O'Hara and John Garfield is coming on AT FOUR a.m. IN THE ******* ******** MORNING.

Can we still DVR stuff or that is now blocked?

¿¿¿¡¡¡WHAT!!!??? We can't DVR anymore?!? What have I missed? I have programmed several movies in the last few days, but have yet to watch any of these. So I don't know what to say, but say it ain't so!

¿¿¿¡¡¡WHAT!!!??? We can't DVR anymore?!? What have I missed? I have programmed several movies in the last few days, but have yet to watch any of these. So I don't know what to say, but say it ain't so!

There was a thread about it a little while ago called "recording signals are blocked", or something like that.

I'm not sure if it was specifically about DVR or something else. And since I've never DVR'd anything, and wouldn't know how if my life depended on it, I'm probably the last person to ask on this matter.

Anyone wants to stick their nose in and clear up the matter feel free.

DVR still works fine, at least my basic Comcast DVR does, both in standard and HD. I think they were referring to transferring to dvd.

Ah.

Thank you so much for the explanation. Gold star goes to you for taking the time to help the technologically disinclined and may heaven reward you for it.

It's been super slow 'round these parts over the holidays, but since I try to let everyone know when something that has not been on in a loooong time on TCM is coming on TCM, and it seems to me like it's been a looooooong time since they aired this one. So I figured I'd just give it a shout out for what it's worth.

I've never seen it and will most certainly be giving it a try.

I'm sure most of you know the details, but it stars Gary Cooper, Ingrid Bergman (pulling off the world's most unfortunate hair that is at least plot-dictated),

And that hair caused quite a problem as she had been filming CASABLANCA for a few weeks or so before beginning principal filming on FWTBT.  She, according to the book provided with my 50th anniversay VHS box/kit for Casablanca, had actually cut her hair that short, and a mad scramble was on for the hair and make-up people on Casablanca to come up with a wig that resembled Ilsa's hair-do in the previous footage.

But, as FWTBT is the ONLY Hemingway novel I enjoyed, I also was not disappointed in this film adaptation.  And besides.  AKIM TAMIROFF looks quite a bit like my paternal grandfather in this flick.

Sepiatone

And that hair caused quite a problem as she had been filming CASABLANCA for a few weeks or so before beginning principal filming on FWTBT.  She, according to the book provided with my 50th anniversay VHS box/kit for Casablanca, had actually cut her hair that short, and a mad scramble was on for the hair and make-up people on Casablanca to come up with a wig that resembled Ilsa's hair-do in the previous footage.

But, as FWTBT is the ONLY Hemingway novel I enjoyed, I also was not disappointed in this film adaptation.  And besides.  AKIM TAMIROFF looks quite a bit like my paternal grandfather in this flick.

Sepiatone

That was the perfect hairstyle for cave living.    What are some people expecting?  The Carole Landis hairdo in 1 Million Years BC?

That was the perfect hairstyle for cave living. What are some people expecting? The Carole Landis hairdo in 1 Million Years BC?

It's part of the story, the Spanish rebels cut her hair before assaulting her.

And there was some line about she's waiting to grow it out until Franco is out of power or something like that.

As much as I do like Bergman, I would have loved to have seen what Paulette Goddard could have done with the role. She never really got the breaks she deserved and she was such a good actress. I also think Linda Darnell might quite possibly have been terrific, but it would have been a pretty big challenge for her at that time of her career.

It's part of the story, the Spanish rebels cut her hair before assaulting her.

And there was some line about she's waiting to grow it out until Franco is out of power or something like that.

As much as I do like Bergman, I would have loved to have seen what Paulette Goddard could have done with the role. She never really got the breaks she deserved and she was such a good actress. I also think Linda Darnell might quite possibly have been terrific, but it would have been a pretty big challenge for her at that time of her career.

The overall purpose of my reply really was about that Landis hairstyle in a film set before shampoo was invented.   

As for Goddard;  fine actress with a unique beauty.   Maybe someone should start a thread about her and her films. e.g. what do people consider to be her 'IT' film?

Paulette Goddard could have done with the role. She never really got the breaks she deserved and she was such a good actress.

Boy, do I agree with that statement!

Not to derail the thread...but does anyone know what held her back? I've read her autobiography and no where does she come across as disgruntled over it.

OK, I'll take the cue to start a thread about this in "Favorites"....

Paulette Goddard could have done with the role. She never really got the breaks she deserved and she was such a good actress.

Boy, do I agree with that statement!

Not to derail the thread...but does anyone know what held her back? I've read her autobiography and no where does she come across as disgruntled over it.

OK, I'll take the cue to start a thread about this in "Favorites"....

Feel free to derail any thread I start with the subject of Paulette....as to why she never graduated to the highest stratosphere: damned if I know why.

Sometimes there are just really talented people who never roll the dice and win that role that really puts them over. I mean, yes- Paulette has MODERN TIMES, THE WOMEN, HOLD BACK THE DAWN and SO PROUDLY WE HAIL (as well as an impressive GWTW screen test, second to only Vivien Leigh's) to her credit- but most of those are supporting roles, with the exception of SO PROUDLY, which oddly got her an Oscar nomination in the SUPPORTING CATEGORY, which in those days was not something anyone with "above the title" aspirations really sought as it meant you were basically a character actor.

I think, strangely enough, it was the supporting nomination that did the most detriment to her career as she was maybe seen as an eternal ingenue or "starlet."

...and the association with Chaplin, whose detrimental effect on her career has been downplayed of late it seems, is something that I think also hurt her a little.

my God she was sexy though; I really can't think of any classic actress sexier than Paulette.

• Like 2

I've often felt poor Paulette was misjudged in terms of sexiness, and just overall appeal.  I've long felt she was one of the more down to Earth beauties in the business at those times.  But sadly, I know nothing more about her to really conclude what could have possibly held her back(if you wish to call it that).  She certainly seemed talented enough.  There WERE several of her contemporaries that really couldn't match her talent, but whose careers went further for some reason. 

Maybe it was a "not who you know but who you blow" situation.

Sepiatone

That was the perfect hairstyle for cave living.    What are some people expecting?  The Carole Landis hairdo in 1 Million Years BC?

Lorna's right, James.

Her hair wasn't cut for cave dwelling, it was a common practice for conquering armies' soldiers to cut down and/or even SHAVE the hair of the village's women to shame them, the belief being that long luxuious hair is a woman's pride. 

There was some movie from either the late '50's or early '60's in which this was a central part of the story.  There was also the girl with short cut hair, and cut for the stated reasons in the movie THE GUNS OF NAVARONE if you recall.... 

Sepiatone