Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your "Favorite" W.C. Fields Movie

• 1 month later...

I love them all...but my all time favorite is " It's A Gift"... he has a nagging wife two spoiled kids and operates a general store. My favorite part is when he try's to fall asleep on his porch and is confronted with all sorts of commotion. To me this is truly one of the funniest movies I've ever seen !!!

Message was edited by:

TOOMANYNOTES

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another vote for It's a Gift. How you can resist a comedy bit like this:

Insurance Salesman: Do you know a man by the name of LaFong? Carl LaFong? Capital L, small a, Capital F, small o, small n, small g. LaFong. Carl LaFong.

Harold (W.C. Fields): No, I don't know Carl LaFong - capital L, small a, capital F, small o, small n, small g. And if I did know Carl LaFong, I wouldn't admit it!

DavidE

http://www.classicfilmpreview.com

• 4 weeks later...

It's a Gift and Never Give a Sucker an Even Break are both excellent, but let me put my vote in for Poppy with Fields in his element as a carney grifter. It's at the end of this movie that Fields states "Never give a sucker an even break." when giving advice to the girl he had raised as they were parting.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is probably "The Bank Dick", only because it was the first I saw as a child. I also like "My Little Chickadee" even though all the fans and critics seem to dislike it. Its flaws are obvious, but I still can't help but love the pairing of these two legends/

• 4 weeks later...

"That Fatal Glass of Beer" never fails to send me into gales of laughter.

I love "It's a Gift" as well.

I just saw "You Can't Cheat an Honest Man" and was surprised at how much I liked it, since most of what I've read considers it so-so. I liked it much better than "The Bank Dick," but then I don't really consider myself a Fields fan since I don't really like that movie.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Fields was the purist film comic ever. By that I mean, it is almost impossible to picture or imagine him as being anything other than the crabby, child-hating lush he played in so many movies. His persona as a performer was so highly developed it obliterated the concept of Fields as a "real" person.

It's hard for me to name a "best" Fields film, because they all have something classic to offer. But clearly THE BANK DICK and IT'S A GIFT are right up there. NEVER GIVE A SUCKER AN EVEN BREAK is wonderful - the first major studio surrealist feature film! I also like MILLION DOLLAR LEGS.

But my all-time favorite line from a Fields film doesn't come from him, it's directed at him: "You're as funny as a cry for help." That breaks me up every time I see it!

Has anyone seen the rare Fields, like his silent films? "The Old Army Game" is supposedly a silent version of "It's a Gift," and it has Louise Brooks in it? (I guess as a customer in his store.) Considered lost for decades, I think it was restored recently.

Also, has anyone seen Fields' scene in "Tales of Manhattan"? He played a temperance lecturer who got drunk during his speech. His scene was cut from the film, although Fields did the routine on radio and record and it was the last hit of his career. I think that the cut scene is available on DVD, if I am remembering correctly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"Poppy" was an important property to Fields. He left the Ziegfield Follies to take the role of the showman father in that play in the early 1920s. That proved such a success it was filmed as "Sally of the Sawdust" by D. W. Griffith with Fields reprising his role. "Poppy" is the talkie remake of "Sally."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...