Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
moirafinnie12

A Dream of France

Perhaps we could leave politics and war outside this small space for a moment? Would you like to bridge the current gulf between America and France for a moment, at least in cyber-space?

Is there a French movie that makes you long to be a boulevardier, sauntering through the streets of Paris? Can you appreciate the Gallic flair of a favorite French actor, actress or director? If you wish you could wake up and smell the french bread some morning, perhaps you could share your favorite French film with the rest of us...

At least three French films that I recall fondly are:

"Vie devant soi, La" (Madame Rosa) with the outstanding actress Simone Signoret.

"Parapluies de Cherbourg, Les" (The Umbrellas of Cherbourg) with the lovely Catherine Deneuve.

"Un homme et une femme" (A Man and a Woman" with Anouk Aimee.

Mongo

I just saw AMELIE on dvd...what a charming movie! I would like to live in the Paris of that film, full of oddballs and loveable eccentrics. I'll never look at a photo booth or garden gnome again without smiling.

Oh, I also wouldn't mind hanging out in Paris with Audrey Hepburn, Kay Thompson and Fred Astaire in the fashionable 50's of FUNNY FACE!

Sandy K

I could go off forever on this subject, but I must tell everyone they have to see Celine and Julie Go Boating (Jacques Rivette). I don't think any other movie more fully explored what film is capable of. It's over three hours of funny, heartwarming goodness.

venerados, I, too could go on forever on my fave French films, but I'll keep it to a minimum. Being a Truffaut fan, I have to list:

1. Jules et Jim (1962)

2. Vivement Dimanche (1983--I believe his last film and a great tribute to Hitchcock)

3. 400 Blows (1959)

some others are:

Umbrellas of Cherbourgh (1964), Going Places (1974) and countless other current films from France! :)

Speaking of France, tonight I'm off to see the new film Le Divorce. Not quite sure what to expect, but the real treat is that Ishmail Merchant will be here for a question and answer period after the film. Seeing as how he has produced some of my favorite films, I'm too excited for words. Maybe I should ask what was up with his commentary during the Bollywood Festival?! :)

The movie was great...it was interesting observe the differences between American and French cultures and attitudes towards eachother. Mr. Merchant was an extremely charming man. He truly appreciates filmmaking and is very proud of his work--as well he should be. He's funny, intelligent, and very sincere. The evening was quite enjoyable. :) P.S. I did not ask about the Bollywood festival ;)!

I was sick of the French LONG before The Gulf War. Even Robert Devaull said he was relieved his name is Swiss not French. How can anyone take seriously the films of a nation who finds Jerry Lewis to be a comedic genius and a big stupid oaf like Gerald Depardue to be a sex symbol? Remember the French response to the German invasion of 1940? " Oh, table for a hundred thousand? March right this way." Oh and thanks for for extorting us into supporting your colonial war to regain Indo China as the price for joining NATO.

Don't forget that the French Foreign Legion(composed of many criminals and thugs)is constantly deployed throughout Africa killing people! French films are pretentious beyond belief! These people love nothing more than to hear their own voices!

Maybe it's time to stop making fun of the French for liking Jerry Lewis. I believe America was pretty fond of him as well.

At the time French critics were lauding directors who could force their own unique vision onto their films, which, for good or bad, Jerry Lewis was able to do.

As for politics, every major country has large parts of their history to be ashamed of. There's no reason to pick on France.

And Robert Duvall making a casual joke about not liking the French doesn't make me disregard Renoir, Cocteau, Bresson, and the New Wave altogether.

Well said, Venerados! And, I'd like to go back to Moirafinnie's original post and implore people posting in these Forums to "leave politics and war outside this space for a moment" and remember that this is a site to discuss classic movies.

All right already you francophiles, a French film I do love...L'ARGENT DE POSCHE(SMALL CHANGE) 1976,directed and co-written by Monsieur Fancois Truffaut. The man had a knack for understanding children. I especially enjoy the little girl screaming on the balcony "J'ai faim! J'ai faim!", and the boys who give their friend a haircut. An enjoyable film from France without so much of the philosophical ramblings I've seen in many French films.

I really liked "Belle du Jour" with Catherine Deneuve and the Red White and Blue trilogy with (I'm wanting to say) Jaqueline Bissett ..anyway they were probably considered scandalous or at least less-than-savory by US standards.

BTW, that was Juliette Binoche in the Three Colors trilogy - I didn't think it was that new (1993-4), but I knew I never saw Jackie Bisset in a subtitled film!

Jaqueline Bisset was in LA NUIT AMERICAINE a.k.a. DAY FOR NIGHT(1973)which was subtitled. She also appeared in several other French films.