Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Elvis Presley 81st birthday tribute.

Down, that could be because they are too high to remember to eat regularly?

I bet Ernest Evans was always at the table on time though.

After doing so much twisting, the Chubster  could have been renamed Skinny Checker, but that lacks alliteration.

Of course The Beatles and The Stones went on to write their own material and develop a unique sound.    While Elvis changed the sound of his music sadly it became lounge music.   I would rather hear Bill Murray.   :blink:  

Yeah, but who do most of the Elvis impersonators love? It's Vegas Elvis with the karate moves and the white jumpsuits. And speaking of "Saturday Night Live" alumni, remember when Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi showed up as a performing duo billed as Elvii -- a tribute to the young Elvis and the older Elvis? As I said earlier, if Elvis had never existed, it would have been necessary to invent him!

• Like 2

After doing so much twisting, the Chubster  could have been renamed Skinny Checker, but that lacks alliteration.

You know, DGF it was years before I realized that the moniker Chubby Checker was a take-off of the name Fats Domino.

Fats sure was a lot more talented than the Chubster fer shure!

In Elvis appreciation, I tend to like Early Elvis more than Middle Elvis and Late Elvis but all three genres can be fun to watch.

Elvis had the potential of acting in better films, but Colonel Parker held him back. He always wanted Elvis to do the same type of formula picture.

Sapphiere, I've always wondered how great the "A Star is Born" with Barbra would have been with Elvis.

I think the Colonel deterred him by saying he should not take second billing to Streisand. But he could have been fab in that role I think.

Sapphiere, I've always wondered how great the "A Star is Born" with Barbra would have been with Elvis.

I think the Colonel deterred him by saying he should not take second billing to Streisand. But he could have been fab in that role I think.

Yeah, but CG, word is Elvis was a VERY good swimmer, and so wouldn't the ending have had to have been changed???

(...I mean you couldn't have had him just floatin' around out there in the Pacific or worse YET, makin' it all the way to Catalina without DROWNIN', now could YA?!!!)

Yeah, but who do most of the Elvis impersonators love? It's Vegas Elvis with the karate moves and the white jumpsuits. And speaking of "Saturday Night Live" alumni, remember when Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi showed up as a performing duo billed as Elvii -- a tribute to the young Elvis and the older Elvis? As I said earlier, if Elvis had never existed, it would have been necessary to invent him!

These impersonators are mocking that image of Elvis.   There is a State Farm commercial that has many different 'favors' of Elvis impersonators.     All mocking the silly stage image he became.     After Elvis there was KISS.

These impersonators are mocking that image of Elvis. There is a State Farm commercial that has many different 'favors' of Elvis impersonators.  All mocking the silly stage image he became.  After Elvis there was KISS.

I would call them good-natured homages. Did Eric Idle's "The Rutles: All You Need Is Cash" mock The Beatles?

Yeah, but CG, word is Elvis was a VERY good swimmer, and so wouldn't the ending have had to have been changed???

(...I mean you couldn't have had him just floatin' around out there in the Pacific or worse YET, makin' it all the way to Catalina without DROWNIN', now could YA?!!!)

Dargo, if they could drag King Kong back on a boat that was smaller than him, then Elvis could make it to Catalina possibly. Like he said when he was supposed to sing a song while on a motorcycle or in a hot rod and wanted an orchestra behind him, and the Elvis Mafia asked him where the orchestra would be in the shot, he said "The same place that the backup singers are." I guess that would be the Jordanaires.

I would call them good-natured homages. Did Eric Idle's "The Rutles: All You Need Is Cash" mock The Beatles?

Love the Rutles!

Almost as funny as the Tap; that would be Spinal Tap for the uninitiated. Just remember, it goes to eleven!

• Like 3

These impersonators are mocking that image of Elvis.   There is a State Farm commercial that has many different 'favors' of Elvis impersonators.     All mocking the silly stage image he became.     After Elvis there was KISS.

WHICH now reminds me of somethin' ELSE I once heard about Elvis besides his being an excellent swimmer.

HE supposedly also had one long enormous tongue TOO, but being the good reserved country boy that he was, he never ever whipped that baby out in public and so nobody knew.

(...though it might explain that big smile you'd often see on Priscilla's face in public, eh?!) ;)

• Like 2

WHICH now reminds me of somethin' ELSE I once heard about Elvis besides his being an excellent swimmer.

HE supposedly also had one long enormous tongue TOO, but being the good reserved country boy that he was, he never ever whipped that baby out in public and so nobody knew.

(...though it might explain that big smile you'd often see on Priscilla's face in public, eh?!) ;)

Big Tongue, but, according to biographer Albert Goldman, Little Elvis.

Big Tongue, but, according to biographer Albert Goldman, Little Elvis.

HEY now, jakeem! "Go with what ya got", I always say!

I mean remember here, one of his biggest hits EVER was "Love Me Tender", NOT "Whole Lotta Love"!!!

(...that was Zeppelin, ya know)

HEY now, jakeem! "Go with what ya got", I always say!

I mean remember here, one of his biggest hits EVER was "Love Me Tender", NOT "Whole Lotta Love"!!!

(...that was Zeppelin, ya know)

But Elvis was "just a hunk, a hunk of burning love"!

• Like 1

I doan care what anybody says...

I still wanna believe that somehow someway elvis is still alive! :mellow:

I think somebody oughta check out the addarondacks. :)

Well, you're close anyway, ND...just a mountain chain for so off the mark, actually.

You see, according to the latest reports issued by that "oh-so respected" entertainment news source TMZ, there was a recent Elvis sighting in the CATSKILL mountains, and specifically at Morey Amsterdam's old House of Seven and a Half Gables Resort.

(...seems Elvis is hosting Wednesday's Karaoke and Open Mic Night there...and doing one fantastic job of it they say!)  

• Like 1

There are some pretty diverse opinions of Elvis on this thread.  As a fan, I tend to agree with much that has been said.  Even to some degree, the unflattering comments.  But one thing I gotta take issue with is JamesJazzGuitar's opinion that to be called King of anything, one should have written some songs.

Elvis was the best at what he did.  He made music that millions love.  His image fit what a "King of Rock and Roll" should look like.  He sold more records than anybody else.  His movies made money - lots of it.  (I agree that about half of them , and most of the movie songs, were not good.)  

Even though he, himself, was not comfortable with this title bestowed upon him by others, he, more than anyone else, was deserving of such a title.   

So he never wrote a song in his life.  So what?!  

As someone on this thread pointed out, singer/songwriters later became more popular, but much that has been written and performed since the Elvis era has been ****.

bOb39

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited for Language
  • Like 2

There are some pretty diverse opinions of Elvis on this thread.  As a fan, I tend to agree with much that has been said.  Even to some degree, the unflattering comments.  But one thing I gotta take issue with is JamesJazzGuitar's opinion that to be called King of anything, one should have written some songs.

Elvis was the best at what he did.  He made music that millions love.  His image fit what a "King of Rock and Roll" should look like.  He sold more records than anybody else.  His movies made money - lots of it.  (I agree that about half of them , and most of the movie songs, were not good.)  

Even though he, himself, was not comfortable with this title bestowed upon him by others, he, more than anyone else, was deserving of such a title.   

So he never wrote a song in his life.  So what?!  

As someone on this thread pointed out, singer/songwriters later became more popular, but much that has been written and performed since the Elvis era has been ****.

bOb39

Well we can agree to disagree;  to me Chuck Berry is much more qualified to be called 'King of Rock and Roll' for his song writing and guitar playing (both which were used to inspire many future rock and rollers),  then Elvis.     For me what sets Rock and Roll  apart from other forms of music is the fact that one learns to sing,  write songs that express their POV and play an instrument.    So to me to be a great rock and rollers one does need to excel at least two of the three.     e.g. Neil Young's isn't much of a singer but he has the other two down.   Elvis was only a so-so musician but a great singer thus making him more like Michael Jackson;  king of POP.     

Taylor Swift has more going for her than Elvis did and I assume Swift will continue to grow and grow.   The best from Elvis was in his early years and from there it was downhill. 

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited Quote for Language

Taylor Swift has more going for her than Elvis did and I assume Swift will continue to grow and grow. The best from Elvis was in his early years and from there it was downhill. 

As far as we know, Elvis didn't try to slime his exes or former friends or rivals through his songs. And win Grammys for doing it!

He did things the old-fashioned way: Obtain an immediate audience with POTUS -- and a federal badge as a narc!

Indelible-Nixon-Elvis-631.jpg__800x600_q

Well we can agree to disagree;  to me Chuck Berry is much more qualified to be called 'King of Rock and Roll' for his song writing and guitar playing (both which were used to inspire many future rock and rollers),  then Elvis.     For me what sets Rock and Roll  apart from other forms of music is the fact that one learns to sing,  write songs that express their POV and play an instrument.    So to me to be a great rock and rollers one does need to excel at least two of the three.     e.g. Neil Young's isn't much of a singer but he has the other two down.   Elvis was only a so-so musician but a great singer thus making him more like Michael Jackson;  king of POP.     

Taylor Swift has more going for her than Elvis did and I assume Swift will continue to grow and grow.   The best from Elvis was in his early years and from there it was downhill. 

JJG, you have high standards indeed.  But the masses loved this guy.  He was not just a popular R&R act.  He was a phenomenon.  He stood above all others in his day.  The title "King" is fitting.  But odd as it may sound, like Elvis, I too, don't like the title.  And I never use it to describe him.  I just say he's the best.  

Chuck Berry could certainly be a candidate for such a title.  For reasons you give, and I would add that his singing voice was great, too.  But while he stood tall among the R&R/Pop acts of his era, Elvis was in the clouds.  

Yes, early Elvis was much better than his middle and later years.  His record sales diminished in his later years, but other musicians would have given much to just have Elvis' diminished record sales.  

Taylor Swift?  I know of her only as a name.  I know nothing about her.  Don't even know what she looks like.  But I can't help but think that Elvis is the only singer/entertainer I know of who is regularly compared to other singer/entertainers of other eras (from the '40s to present day).  Whether these comparisons are seen as favorably or unfavorably, doesn't matter.  It only shows that Elvis' music and populaity spans all generations.  And that in itself should qualify him as the "King".    

bOb39

• Like 2

Oh, one more thing.  Your point about R&R singer/songwiters writing music that expresses their POV.  In my day, we didn't give a hoot about a musician's POV.  We just liked the sound and the beat of their music and the way they performed it.  So appreciating a singer's POV in his songs is an alien concept to me.

bOb39

• Like 1

JJG, you have high standards indeed.  But the masses loved this guy.  He was not just a popular R&R act.  He was a phenomenon.  He stood above all others in his day.  The title "King" is fitting.  But odd as it may sound, like Elvis, I too, don't like the title.  And I never use it to describe him.  I just say he's the best.  

Chuck Berry could certainly be a candidate for such a title.  For reasons you give, and I would add that his singing voice was great, too.  But while he stood tall among the R&R/Pop acts of his era, Elvis was in the clouds.  

Yes, early Elvis was much better than his middle and later years.  His record sales diminished in his later years, but other musicians would have given much to just have Elvis' diminished record sales.  

Taylor Swift?  I know of her only as a name.  I know nothing about her.  Don't even know what she looks like.  But I can't help but think that Elvis is the only singer/entertainer I know of who is regularly compared to other singer/entertainers of other eras (from the '40s to present day).  Whether these comparisons are seen as favorably or unfavorably, doesn't matter.  It only shows that Elvis' music and populaity spans all generations.  And that in itself should qualify him as the "King".    

bOb39

If popularity defines who is the 'king' of an art-form then Elvis could be called the 'king' based on record sales and tickets for concerts but to me most of the songs he sang after his early years are NOT rock and roll songs.     So again,  I say he was the king of pop for his era similar to Michael Jackson was for his era.   

As for Taylor Swift; I'm not a fan and I don't listen to her music (90% of the music I listen to and play is Bebop jazz and standards from the so called great American songbook).    I only mentioned her because she is a well rounded talent who sings well,   puts on a good show for her fans,  writes her own music and plays guitar well enough to support the music she writes.

One final note:  I will admit to a certain amount of bitterness with regards to Elvis;  This is because when I see his early work I'm very impressed.   I just feel he had great abilities that he didn't develop to there full potential.