Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Train in After the Thin Man

ElCid

Always noticed that the conductor is sitting on the rear platform of the observation car with the train name of Sunset Limited.  Based on my knowledge of passenger trains, the only Sunset Limited was a Southern Pacific one from New Orleans to LA.  Amtrak now operates it.

In 1936, Nick and Nora would have taken a train from NYC to Chicago and then to LA.  Probably the Santa Fe Chief.  The Super Chief was in the "introduction" stage in 1936.

Why did they use the name Sunset Limited?

Always noticed that the conductor is sitting on the rear platform of the observation car with the train name of Sunset Limited.  Based on my knowledge of passenger trains, the only Sunset Limited was a Southern Pacific one from New Orleans to LA.  Amtrak now operates it.

In 1936, Nick and Nora would have taken a train from NYC to Chicago and then to LA.  Probably the Santa Fe Chief.  The Super Chief was in the "introduction" stage in 1936.

I'm going to ask Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory.

• Like 1

Because it sounded good? Sometimes it's that simple. I wouldn't think there was some ulterior or symbolic motive involved, if that's what you mean.

No, just curious.  Of course they could have taken the SL, but it would have considerably lengthened the trip to get to NO to catch the SL.

Also noticed that in The Narrow Margin, some of the train names are real and some aren't.

• Like 1

I annoy my wife every time we watch this, because I can't keep myself from pointing out that they're using the wrong train name. I'm guessing they just liked the sound of the name. And by the way, to compound the error, Nick and Nora weren't going to LA; they were going home, to San Francisco!

• Like 2

I annoy my wife every time we watch this, because I can't keep myself from pointing out that they're using the wrong train name. I'm guessing they just liked the sound of the name. And by the way, to compound the error, Nick and Nora weren't going to LA; they were going home, to San Francisco!

Which means they would have gone to Oakland and taken the ferry to SF?