Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
rich

Favorite War Movies

Slaughterhouse-Five (1972) if I remember correctly is a movie about a surreal interpretation of a man living simultaneously in past, present & future moments of his life.

War films take on a more historic approach to events that actually happened (or could have happened) in real combat-like situations.

So the answers is no. Slaughterhouse-Five should not be considered as a war film.

Bill

Some of the movies mentioned here have brought back memories. I remember watching "Danger UXB" years ago - great series.

Purple Plain - forgotten about that great movie. Other Mosquito movies with good flying sequnces are "633 Squadron" and "Mosquito Squadron(?)."

My favourites would have to be "Air Force", "30 Seconds over Tokyo", "Cross of Iron", "Battleground", "Das Boot","Battle of Britain", "Zulu", and "Bridge on the River Kwai."

Other enjoyable movies include "Kelly's Heroes", "Where Eagles Dare", "The Dirty Dozen", and "The Beast."

Of the modern movies, "Band of Brothers", SPR and "We Were Soldier's.." were very good.

The best part in "Battle of the Bulge" has to be when Hessler meets his tank crews and they all sing the "Panzer Leid", though it seems as though that part has been cut the last few times I have watched it. However, I cannot remember the large plain the tank battle took place on the last time I was in the Ardennes!!

Finally, if you're still with me, who can ever forget that great Bobby Moore, Pele, Michael Caine, Sylvester Stallone movie - "Escape to Victory"!!

Gettysburg was a great war movie, if you can overlook some of those obviously fake beards. Gods and Generals was ok, but suffers from an inaccurate depiction of Stonewall Jackson.

michammer: I agree. Danger UXB was a terrific series. Wish someone would show it again. The best thing about 633 Squadron was the Mosquitos. Your right about that scene in Battle of the Bulge being cut quite often. It's strictly a German thing. Can you see American tank crews standing by their tanks singing? Not likely. Was Hessler suppose to be Manteuffel of the 5th Panzer Army or Dietrich of the 6th SS Panzer Army?

Twelve O'Clock High, The Story of GI Joe and A Walk in the Sun are three of my favorites.

albatros1: I was always under the impression that Hessler was based loosely on Dietrich.

Does anyone know what movies are playing over Memorial Day Weekend?

I agree that The Longest Day (1962) is a great one, and was so glad to see that it will be premiering on TCM this May 29th as part of their four day Memorial Day marathon!

I'm very happy that you got a chance to see Europa Europa. This is the kind of film that asks the right questions and gives us an insight into the apathetic condition that we often allow ourselves to drift into.

My favorite scene is when he drive in the bus throw the ghetto to find his mother. He sees her, he attempts to open the window and everyone else says, What are you doing!!!!!!!!!!

I'm trying to get some fresh air, and they all laugh! They in the end use the excuse that they did not know what was going on, but the truth is that they did not want to know! When we give up our right to think for ourselves, we become blind instruments for a state of mind which breeds deception.

The incredible cast alone is worth seeing the movie for, and the way it doesn't pander to just any one talent on the screen is a novelty.

It's easy to say those ideal words when you live in America. I wonder if you would say those words in 1933 Germany or for that matter, in Moscow the same year when tens of thousands of people were disappearing. When your neighbors are being dragged from their homes in the middle of the night, never to be heard from again. Fear is a mighty weapon and few, very few people risk it's wrath. Yes it's easy to speak those noble words when there is no fear of reprisal. How long did it take for people to finally stand up to The Un-American Activities Committee?

New member here. Been watching the forum for a little while, and this seems like a good place to jump in.

Battleground, Paths of Glory (short on combat scenes but what's there is choice), Patton of course and Hell is for Heroes. I like Catch-22 as well , but the satire is so strong it doesn't seem like a war movie to me. Stalag 17 is hard to ignore, though maybe not a war movie as much as POW movie.

I was just reminded of one of my favorite war movies in the genre forum for war films. Baby Blue Marine starring Jan Michael Vincent was set during WWII, although the storyline took place in the States.

I enjoyed the characters, the actors in these roles and the plot. It pulls all of the heartstrings of the nostalgia of the mid-forties and sets you up for an unexpected end.

Sappy? I know you are, but what am I?

CharlieT

Message was edited by:

CharlieT

Greetings:

I don't know if I should mention this movie or not, since it was released in 2001, but I think "TO END ALL WARS" should become a favorite.

It's a true story about Scottish prisoners of war slaving on the railroad in Burma during the Second World War, similar to the classics, "BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI", or "KING RAT".

The really good part is when they roll the credits at the end of the movie, for then they show recent news footage of the elderly survivors marching through a cheering Scottish crowd, attired in tartan kilts with military decorations, as bagpipes play.

Actually, I'm rather surprised there's not been more publicity about that film.

I sure hope it doesn't wind up being ignored.

Another of my favorite classic war movies, which we don't see enough of, is "EMPIRE OF THE SUN", released in 1987.

It's the saga of a small English boy living in Shang Hai, China when the Japanese invade, and separated from his parents.

I particularly like the theme music, "SUO GAN", also known as "WELSH LULLABY", and was inspired to learn the song, which I now sing while strumming my guitar.

One interesting scene is of the Japanese boy who grows up to become a Kamikaze pilot, but is heart broken because there's not enough fuel for his plane to take off.

I consider "EMPIRE OF THE SUN" one of the finest war movies ever made, and one of the few contemporary Hollywood productions suitable for viewing by a Christian family.

Thank you.

John Robert Mallernee

Armed Forces Retirement Home

Washington, D.C.

Greetings:

Rich, who began this discussion of "FAVORITE WAR MOVIES", mentioned he liked "HAMBURGER HILL", because he had served in Viet Nam with the 101st Airborne Division.

Well, I also served in Viet Nam with the 101st Airborne, and here are MY favorite movies about that war.

First, I love the movie, "FORREST GUMP".

Just like the character in that movie, I had a handicap to overcome, and was classified "IV-F" by my draft board, but fortunately, I was able to eventually enter the United States Army and serve in Viet Nam, and just like Forrest Gump, my own life has been a series of serendipitous blessings, including the unusual gift of being able to compose and perform original Country/Western/Folk songs, both words and music, while strumming guitar.

Second, I like the movie, "CASUALTIES OF WAR", and again, it's because I had a similar experience, being forced to make an unpopular moral choice, resulting in the attempt to murder me with a hand grenade as I slept.

Finally, I like the movie "GARDENS OF STONE" because it correctly depicts how terribly divided our society was right here in the United States of America during the Viet Nam War.

So, these are really excellent films about the Viet Nam War, because I "been there, done that", and know it's really true.

Thank you.

John Robert Mallernee

Armed Forces Retirement Home

Washington, D.C.

I agree with you about "Empire of the Sun." I think I watched that every time it played on HBO back in the early 90s. I'd probably like it even better if I saw it in a widesceen format.

It's really the only Spielberg movie I'm fond of, with the possible exception of "Saving Private Ryan."

Hi John,

You might like "The Great Raid" which came out last year, if you haven't already seen it. It's about the Bataan Death March and the heroic rescue of the Cabanatuan POW's. It's filmed as an old fashioned war movie that is probably one of the few films in the last decade or more that presents Christianity in a positive light. And it doesn't get caught up in the current trend of filtering the enemies through a prism of moral relativism ... it show how brutal the Japanese were.

There was a special on the History Channel recently on the real story behind the Bridge on the River Kwai and how far off the movie was from reality.

It too showed just how brutal the Japanese were.

writesong,

I am interested. Have you watched the movie "Platoon"? Do you have an opinion of the movie "Platoon"?

Rusty