Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
rich

Favorite War Movies

Hello,

All I have to say is that I've read all the replies and there very interesting. I have no idea what started the topic of FDR because I'm fairly new here but so far I agree with most of you. I believe that those who wait until someone is dead to place a blame are... well scared because they know that if the one who they are blaming was alive, they would lose sorely. Though as I said before I'm only commenting on what I have read...so I could be saying something that doesn't pertain to your discussion. Oh, and my favorite war movies are probably The Great Escape, The Longest Day, Devil's Brigade, and Stalag 17, etc.

Thank you, Imagine

Seeking the truth is always the banner held high. Something like Senator McCarthy who was looking for the "truth" about Communist in the government. Anyone is fair game when looking for the "truth". I was a depression kid and grew up with FDR in office. The Recovery programs he started put food back on the table. FDR was the symbol of that generation and what it accomplished.

I became active on this message board because I thought it was all about movies. So here we are in the Favorite War Movies thread reading someone's personal political theory. Why don't you go to the history forum. You'll get lots of action about the FDR conspiracy to get us into WWII and the rest of us can go back to movies.

As far as I know nobody has blamed FDR for WW2.

FDR is representative of nobody and nothing except FDR, and that generation was no better and no worse than any other generation. It was also the generation that produced Tailgunner Joe McCarthy. I can see why you worship FDR and will not tolerate any criticism of him. I think Senator McCarthy would have been proud of you.

Regards

Greetings:

I'm surprised that Senator Joseph McCarthy's name was mentioned.

Were your references intended to be derogatory?

Have you read the news from several years ago?

Do you remenber when the Berlin Wall fell, and the Soviet Union collapsed?

All those top secret espionage records suddenly became available to the United States and - - - guess what?

It turned out that Senator Joseph McCarthy was CORRECT!!!

Hey, it was all over the news.

Where were you?

Thank you.

John Robert Mallernee

Armed Forces Retirement Home

Washington, D.C.

Another great WWII film is "Soldier of Orange" starring Rutger Hauer. It's about Holland and a group of college friends and how the war affects them.

McCarthy's problem was that he was overly passionate and zealous on camera which gave the communists and their sympathizers the edge to ridicule him. Revisionists have painted over that era so well that people think the red scare was just a myth and that those convicted of being communists spies were innocent. McCarthy was only doing what we'd expect from the people we elect into office. Too many people get their history from the movies, like Clooney's latest farce. Clooney's hatchet job on McCarthy forgot one little fact ... a good friend of Murrow's, Lawrence Duggan, who worked in the State Dpt. was found out to be a communist spy, and was responsible for the deaths of innocent people in Switzerland. He committed suicide after the FBI interrogated him and documents have been uncovered that proved he was a spy. Funny how Clooney left that bit of info out of the movie, but that would have changed the whole conclusion.

Matt Helm, Et Alii:

I think I remember the commercials advertising the movie you're referring to, but I haven't seen it.

What is the name of that movie?

As I recall, the commercials and advertisements convinced me the movie wouldn't be any good.

I've seen a couple of George Clooney movies, and they were rather disappointing - - - in fact, they were downright boring.

Do you know if there are there any good George Clooney films?

It seems like I may have seen one, but I can't remember.

As I type this, I just remembered something I'd forgotten - - - when I was in the Army (many long years ago!), we didn't call them "movies" - - - we called them "flicks".

It's funny how an obscure memory comes back during this discussion.

No, I'm living in the Old Soldiers' Home, and I rarely go to movies anymore, not even the ones shown in our Home's theatre.

I'm more comfortable in my own room watching cable television, or sitting on the hillside strumming guitar and singing to the squirrels and birds.

(That hillside overlooks all of Washington, D.C. - - - this Home is the highest point in the District.)

I'm thinking the revelations about Communist espionage in the United States should cause a remake of "THE WAY WE WERE".

What other films were made about Senator Joseph McCarthy and the House UnAmerican Activities Committee (HUAC)?

It's odd, isn't it, that Hollywood continues to be silent on this subject?

I reckon it doesn't quite fit in with their "politically correct" agenda.

Maybe they're embarrassed about something.

Remember when the Hollywood elite snubbed Elia Kazan at the Academy Awards?

Isn't it interesting (and a bit depressing - - - or enraging) to observe the HUGE differences in the war movies of yesteryear and Hollywood's contemporary war stories?

Remember when an entire FAMILY could safely watch a Hollywood war movie?

Remember when going to the theatre was FUN?

Thank you.

John Robert Mallernee

Washington, D.C.

Steven Soderbergh's 1998 Out of Sight; David O. Russell's 1999 Three Kings; the Coen Bros. retelling of Homer's Odyssey O Brother, Where Art Thou?; Coen's Intolerable Cruelty. Honorable Mention: his own baby, the homage to Edward R. Murrow, Good Night and Good Luck.

Jack Burley:

Yes, NOW I remember!

I liked "OH BROTHER WHERE ART THOU?"

I love hearing Alison Krauss sing.

"THREE KINGS" wasn't any good.

I think I saw "INTOLERABLE CRUELTY", and it might have been good, but I can't remember.

It was a comedy about a divorcing couple wasn't it, with both of them being lawyers?

The worst George Clooney film was that one about Outer Space, but I don't remember the name.

I'm not familiar with "OUT OF SIGHT", and from what little I've seen in commercials, "GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK" doesn't stand out.

Thank you.

John Robert Mallernee

Washington, D.C.

O Brother was a good movie, though Clooney was only adequate in the role. He can't turn off his smugness and it permeates all the characters he plays.

Hollywood only makes movies about the HCUA subject that victimizes Hollywood and grossly distorts the roles of the writers and their reign of terror in the industry. They treated each other more strictly than the HCUA did. Speaking of Kazan, the only movie you'll see that shows the truth about this era is his, On the Waterfront. The mob in the movie is a metaphor for the Hollywood commies and how they controlled who got to work.

Then, there's The Manchurian Candidate whose McCarthy-inspired Republican politician is really a communist pawn. Yeah, right.

It is depressing about the decline of respect toward war movies. During WWII they made movies about WWII ... you had to wait a decade to get a movie about Viet Nam. Today, they want to make movies of WWII with Nazis instead of trying to get any support for today's troops by making contemporary war movies, or portraying today's enemies. Look at what happened with Black Hawk Down ... they portrayed it pretty faithfully to the events, yet it was hailed as a racist movie when it came out. I guess it's politically incorrect to depict the enemy as the same race they are in real life.

The outer space movie was "Solaris" and it was pretty awful.(IMO)

As far as the end of "Good Night and Good Luck," my impression was that both McCarthy and Murrow ended up losing. McCarthy lost his power in the Senate, and Murrow lost his forum on Bill Paley's CBS network.

Now as for "O,Brother. Where Art Thou?"... there's one movie I can watch over and over again. I guess I'm just dumber than a sack of hammers.

CharlieT

Bought the DVD of the movie 'Zulu' starring Stanley Baker and Michael Caine. What a great film this is. Based on a real event in 1879 during the Zulu wars. The Zulu people were treated with respect in this movie and not as ignorant savages. The mass wedding in the Zulu Kraal at the beginning of the film is fascinating to watch and hear.

The star of the movie was Stanley Baker, a great actor who is almost unheard of today.

There is also an interesting and unique trivia question attached to this film which I will save for another day.

Regards

Saving Private Ryan is probably my favorite war movie. We Where Soldiers is second. I also like the Kirk Douglas movie Paths of Glory.

My favorite is probably Bruce Bereford's "Breaker Morant" starring Edward Woodward, Jack Thompson, Bryan Brown in a true account of an incident during the Boer War where three Australian Soldiers were court-martialed (by the British Army) for murdering a Boer soldier of all things.

Great movie!

Message was edited by:

constarkel

from here to eternity, the dirty dozen, the deer hunter, apocalypse now, and platoon. another one is where a bunch of friends come back from war and one has no arms, and he gets married. i can't remember what it's called.

That would be "The Best Years of our Lives". Harold Russell won a Special Oscar for bringing hope and courage to his fellow veterans, as well as one for Best Supporting Actor in 1946 [i believe the only time an actor has won two Academy Awards for one role.].

What "communist" did McCarthy uncover? Annie Lee Moss? Or was it that Lawyers Guild member,Fred Fisher,on Welch's staff.Seems Fisher was a member of the Young Republicans' while in law school,he quit the NLG."McCarthyism" was really "Hooverism".

Sixty years ago the Republicans in Congress called "The Best years of Our Lives".communist propaganda,in the last 3-4 months on two different programs,on C-SPAN,right-wingers(the Heritage Foundation and the Ayn Rand outfit) were still throwing out that old chestnut.